Blackbeak Bluff You can run from the pain, or you can allow it to burn into your heart
~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
back dated to May 1, 2018 @Tahani perhaps a med thread for you to get started on your trade :P @Tomkin cuz you would probs be nearby

He was surrounded by his thoughts. The ocean's waves rocked against the shore as he wandered, to lost in thought to take in the beauty of the water. The strange sand form earlier had morphed into the comforting rocks of steep cliffs. He was more at home here, the rocks more attune to the tundra they were all use to. 

They had caught their sisters scent on a few days ago and had been relentless in their pursuit. After having spent so long at the leisurely pace Sia had forgotten of the not so gentle reminder that marked his shoulder. As they got more serious about finding their sister, and her scent was found his shoulder had started to ache. 

He wouldn't let his two companions know though. They were his responsibility, at least in his minde they were, he had to stay strong for them.
Inuttuk, Common

[Image: nsUn6t6.png?1]
{1/5} | {2/10}

167 Posts
Ooc — mercury
she had taken some time to be alone with her thoughts, but her thoughts proved poor company after a while, and so she sought out her littermate. she found him looking out at the waves, appearing very pensive. with a small chuff, she drew near, pressing her head against his non-injured shoulder in greeting. she knew the other had been torn open by their father; along the way, she'd treated it as best as she could, but the wound was deep, and painful.

"does it still hurt, brother?" Tahani asked, circling round and nosing ever-so-gently at the marred flesh in inquiry. she looked up at Siarut, a gentle smile fixed on her face. "poppy seeds will dull the pain--and they are found in abundance, here."

she hummed quietly to herself, thinking. "marigold will help, too. i will find some." she waited for him to speak before she buzzed off, though, wanting to at least know whether or not he was in dreadful agony.
Common · Inuttut
~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
Startled out of his pensive thoughts by his sister's head on his shoulder, Siarut hadn't heard her chuff. Something he would berate himself for later. He gave her a small, but geniune smile.  "Hello sister."

As she circle him Sia cocked his head to the side curious as to her purpose. He was not left in suspense long, and he's smile dropped from his face. Grimacing as her snout drew near to the unfortunate injury. "At times, yes." He had made a promise many moons ago to never lie to his littermates, unless it was for their own safety. 

"I fear it will never heal properly." His gaze dropped to his paws, "It will be my constant reminder of our past." 

Sia wasn't used to herbs and flowers growing in such large abundance. He was used to only using the bare minimum, so as to save the meager stores they had at home. Now though, his sister was not limited by lack of supplies. 

His smile returned as Tahani went into full medic mode, a trade she was very good at. "Lead the way sister." He turned and followed her. His shoulder ached, but it wouldn't preclude him from following his sibling.
Inuttuk, Common

{1/5} | {2/10}

167 Posts
Ooc — mercury
she touched her nose to his cheek, shaking her head. "it is hard for wounds to heal when you're on the move. and we have been, for a while now. but i will do my best." she turned to walk away, trusting that he would follow. her nose was low, eyes searching intently for the brilliant orange gold that distinguished marigolds among the green and gray.

it took a little while, but eventually she found a sizable clump, tucked near a rock. with a small cry of delight, Tahani set upon it, gently tearing the flowers and stems from the earth. it was a wonder, to have so much greenery. only in the longest days of summer did the tundra offer anything of use, and it paled in comparison to this.

she chewed up the marigold, casting a friendly look at Siarut as she did so. she stuck out her tongue, showing him the paste, then ran her tongue along his shoulder, coating the wounds in the salve. it wasn't perfect--she'd like some cobwebs to keep it all together--but it would do for now. she'd seen the makings of infection; the marigold would hopefully ward it off.

"stay still for a while," Tahani ordered softly, sitting down in the long grass and motioning for him to do the same. "let's have a rest. the marigold needs time to do its work."

i have no idea if this is how it's done, i'm just punting here
Common · Inuttut
~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
He watched his gentle sister do her work. Her snout swaying against the earth, searching for her green prey. Siarut followed at a slower pace, happy to watch as her skills strenthened and grew. He could only shrug and agree silently to her words. She would know he wasn't much for meaningless words. 

"I trust you 'Hani." He knew their journey wouldn't help his shoulder in the slightest, but there wasn't much any of them could do about it. Siarut wouldn't have them sit around and wait while his wounds healed. He would be fine. At least that's what his macho brain was telling him. Perhaps he should let Tahani tell him for sure. 

He watched with curled snout as she mashed the flower between her teeth. Sia could just imagine the bitter taste that came from the oozing greenery. Her pink tongue flashed for a moment, showing him the paste that now coated her mouth. As quick as he saw it had smooshed it against his pristine alabaste fur.

He let out a light gasp as the plant went to work, a most strange feeling. Siarut felt the sting and tingle as he assumed the flower kickstarted the healing process. Looking skeptically at Tahani, he laid down in the long grass in front of her. Taking a moment to enjoy the new weather they had found themselves in. "What is this supposed to do exactly?" Their mother had tried several times to educate them on the ways of healing, a skill that Siarut had never really understood. At least not in the same way that Tahani had, a fact he was grateful for now.
Inuttuk, Common

{1/5} | {2/10}

167 Posts
Ooc — mercury
her lips curved gently in a smile. "it helps to prevent infection," Tahani explained, spitting the scant remains of the plant from her tongue. when she could, she would wash the taste from her mouth from a stream; she thought of trying the seawater and shuddered, thinking how bitter the salt would be. "infection can lead to fever, swelling. . .death."

she'd only seen one death by infection before: a wolf, one she hadn't known well, had been injured in a hunt. not a surface wound, really, but a gash along the thigh that would have been easily treated had he sought a healer. but he'd let it fester, and by the time he'd dragged himself to a medic, it was too late. feverish and delirious, he died shortly after.

it could have been prevented, and Tahani knew that she must do whatever it took to prevent her brother from suffering the same fate. the wounds left by their father were healing well enough not to bring her great alarm, but the marigold poultice put her mind more at ease, and it would hopefully fade into twisted scar tissue with time.
Common · Inuttut
~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
Death was a pretty serious consequence, and he quickly bit his tongue and nodded solemly. "So you've saved my life. Exactly what I expected from my little sister." He foolishly grinned at the woman, they were of the same litter and as such they were extremelly close in age. But Siarut often liked to tease his sisters about him being born first. 

He thought for a moment that perhaps his death might have kicked their old man out of this ridiculousness, and allow Tomkin to lead the life he wanted. As quick as the thought came he dismissed it. That wasn't fair. To anyone involved.

"It's...uh....good to have you with us. I mean...we probably wouldn't have made it this far without you." Siarut wasn't one to stutter, nor was he one for touchy feel conversations, so he tried to find the right words and tone to make his sister feel appreciated. He looked away from her, to awkward to catch her gaze.
Inuttuk, Common

{1/5} | {2/10}

167 Posts
Ooc — mercury
she gave a good-natured laugh at his joke; someone else might take offense, but Tahani had learned in life that it was much easier to shrug everything off. then his voice grew serious, and she looked over at him, surprised--and feeling slightly awkward.

the healer was an empath, but she wasn't a talker, and so, like Siarut, she, too, had problems putting her emotions into words, choosing to speak through actions instead. her throat tightened, then, as he spoke now. . .for him to say it out loud, it really did mean a lot to him. she reached out to nuzzle his cheek, eyes creased to slits as she smiled.

"it was a team effort," she responded humbly. "we need each other, Sia. that's why we've come down to find Shiv. we've always been better together than apart. we're family." and they would always be family, no matter what. the littermates had forged an indelible bond through the years, a bond that hopefully had stayed with Shivali as she traveled south.
Common · Inuttut
~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
He leaned into his sister, grateful to have her near. After Shivali had left, he knew that he had leaned heavily on Tahani. As his only lingering littermate, he could trust her above anyone else. He was glad that she had remained so steady in such a turbulent time for them. They were family, but they were different now, it was just them. For now it was just the three of them, instead of a whole pack. And there was no going back. Tahani could have stayed, she could have condemed himself and Tomkin. Just as their other siblings had done. But she hadn't and for that he would always be more grateful than he could express. His own reserved nature prevented him from showing his deep emotions even to Tahani. 

Clearing his throat he suddenly felt awkward in his confession. But he did his best to shove the thought aside, seeing as it was his sister. "And if we don't find her?" Siarut's realist personality poking through. Tomkin would have rolled his eyes, and claimed Sia was giving up, and that he just didn't want to find Shivali. When in all honesty he wanted to find his dear littermate more than anyone would ever know. But he was trying to be leader the three needed. Thinking with his head, not his heart. 

What would they do if they didn't find her? It was a question that had plagued his mind since they left. There was a high probability that they wouldn't find her. She had been gone for weeks, and they had no idea how long it would take to find her. When would they call a quits? When would they come to the conclusion that she couldn't be found? He need his sister as a sounding board more than ever. Especially with Tomkin not around to hear.
Inuttuk, Common

{1/5} | {2/10}

167 Posts
Ooc — mercury
she shook her head at his question, shrugging. she fell somewhere between Sia's realism and Tom's optimism; she knew that not everything turned out the way it ought to, but she tried to keep her spirits high, regardless. truthfully, Tahani hadn't much thought of not finding Shivali; in the wake of fleeing home, the search was her primary focus. they would find her. that was what kept her going.

"i don't know. we'll figure it out," Tahani said absently, eyes drifting to the horizon. they could go anywhere they wanted, at this point. if the search for Shiv was abandoned, she'd like to head north, but in a different direction--far from her tyrannical father. the south was not to her liking; the only reason she was here was because of Shivali.
Common · Inuttut
~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
Siarut wasn't sure what he had been expecting. Tahani was the perfect peacemaker for their family, she had something in common with all of them, some common ground that she could empathize with. It was one reason he loved the woman so much, and his respect for her was perhaps even greater. 

He nods to her comment, they would figure it out, like they always did. With a sigh he figured they should probably keep up the tracking. 

"Do you think I've rested enough?" He grinned his toothiest grin, she would know he wasn't one to sit around and heal, and so his mischevious side was showing through his serious brother mask.
Inuttuk, Common

{1/5} | {2/10}

167 Posts
Ooc — mercury
she smirked at his question, shaking her head. "no, but it'll do for now," she said ruefully, getting to her feet. she made a face at the bad taste lingering in her mouth. "let's go find a stream. you can wash that off and i can wash it out of my mouth."

giving her brother an affectionate nudge, Tahani made her way down the way they'd came, keeping her eye out for fresh water.
Common · Inuttut
~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
Rising with stiff legs from his previous position he nipped Tahani as she nudged him. A smile playing on his lips. "Always lookin' out for me." Sia laughed as they sought out fresh water. He could imagine that her mouth was pretty bitter, besides a good cool drink would help cool them both off.
Inuttuk, Common

{1/5} | {2/10}