Broken Boulder cannot seem to find my way home tonight
1,293 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
maybe @Liri ? AW tho!
rolled three attempts at fishing, first two were unsuccessful but he's set to have a success later (in case any of that actually matters to anyone LOL)
The Governor had set to work refreshing the borders and filling the caches as soon as he got home. Time away had given him plenty of opportunity to think on his own inadequacy— and now that Delight was here, he felt even more pressure to step up. Being a leader was about more than just existing and occasionally making an important decision or two, right? Right.
Too bad he wasn't really sure how being a leader worked. Once again, Alarian was cursing his own lack of a natal pack— the fact had become a terrible disadvantage. One he hadn't really expected— but then, he hadn't expected to become a leader, either. Clueless and frustrated as he was, the boy decided to hunt in the creek. It was the first time he had attempted such an endeavor, but it seemed as good a time as any.
That was what he thought at first, anyway. Fishing was actually more complicated than it sounded. He stared at the water expectantly, as if one of the creatures might rise up and launch itself between his jaws at any moment. When that didn't work, it was time for plan B— actual fishing. However that was supposed to work. He lunged the moment he saw the silver glint of scales below the surface— and came up with a soaked face and no fish. Water splashed into his nose, stinging, and he sneezed, deciding then and there that fishing sucked.
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
Rolled for odd=success, she gets a fish :)

Liri was unsure about her position here. She knew no one - save for Lily. She'd met none of the other members as of yet. The recluse was done with being on the outside of whatever pack she belonged to. At Broken Antler Fen she had distanced herself from everyone, even those like Pearl who had tried to help her.

Despite her desire to become familiar with the rest of the wolves who lived in the Sanctuary, the wraith came across none of them as she slipped from her den in the early morning. Some, she could smell, were still sleeping and others appeared to be gone. 

Liri picked her way amongst the rocky fields, limping heavily despite her best efforts. Her white coat flashed almost silver in the morning sun which was already warm though luckily, not humid. 

She found herself at a creek in the surrounding woods, cocking her head curiously at the prospect of fish. 

Hunting, something that had been easy enough and a rudimentary task before, had to be learned again once she left Morningside. After Kelina had ruined her leg, she'd survived for a bit on injured animals and carcasses. 

As for fishing, she'd watched a lynx creep upstream and snatch a fish right out of the water. She'd used the technique before and now she limped into the creek to try it once again.

Liri crept upstream - as she had seen the lynx do so long ago - lifting her maimed appendage high enough out of the water to avoid disturbance.

She moved slowly until she spotted a still spot of water on the edge of the creek, just beneath the roots of a tree. Sneaking behind the fish, which faced downstream in its resting place, she paused for a moment to watch the fish where it wavered in place. 

Taking a moment for refraction, Liri lunged. She snatched the fish up and with a snap of her jaws, it gave a dying flop and hung limp in her mouth.

Liri struggled from the creek, scrabbling to get out of it with her bad leg. She headed further up the creek along its bank, looking for a place to rest her leg for a moment. 

Instead, she paused in surprise as she came across another wolf. He was only a bit taller than her, but much leaner. Willowy and girlish were words that came to mind. The spirit was even further surprised when she caught scent of him, most definitely a him though his appearance stated otherwise. 

The skittish woman started when the male abruptly plunged his face into the water. Liri dropped her fish on the ground with a wet flop, one paw raising off the ground with alarm. 

He came up sneezing and sputtering. Liri stepped forward curiously, merely regarding him with anxious eyes. 

"Uhh..," she tried to voice her concern but all that came out was a rasp. With a swallow to dislodge her nerves, she tried again. 

"Are you alright?"
"i'll keep you here when I lose my mind."

1,293 Posts
Ooc —
He was startled by the approach of another, glancing up with embarrassment flashing already in his champagne gaze. Yeah! Alarian blurted, a little too quickly; he recognized her by her scent through the territory, though honestly was only just now realizing there was a new member. The Governor tried to hide his surprise, completely missing that she had a fish at her feet— maybe for the better. He didn't need to be reminded of his shameful failure at the moment.
Did Lily or Lanawyn bring you here? The boy inquired gently, offering a welcoming smile. I'm Alarian— the Governor of Bracken Sanctuary.
It felt weird to introduce himself as such, still— still. But it was a necessary evil. Even if he really hated Lennon during these moments.
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
It was just a little bit reassuring that she wasn't the only person who was anxious. Even more so, that he had a couple of scars. Not nearly as many as she had, but still she felt less stared at. In fact, it even endeared him to her a little bit. 

She smiled kindly, hoping to put the skittish male at ease. Her tail gave a slight wag, looking more like herself than she had in years.

"Lily..Lily found me," the northerner tried to explain. "I'm Liri, Liri Blackfoot. Umm..Cipher, healer and such." 

She had yet to figure out exactly how the ranks here worked. She knew she was somewhere in the lower tier, or assumed so. 'Governor' wasn't a title she readily recognized, but Liri offered all of her own in turn.

1,293 Posts
Ooc —
guess we're abandoning fishing hahaha, this is probably more important tho
Now that he had settled down, he took a moment to study the pale woman. She was smaller than him— perhaps the same size as Lanawyn, he thought. The scars littering her slim frame only drew his attention for a moment; he was drawn to warm brown eyes, meeting them for several beats. There was something relaxing about her presence.
It's nice to meet you, Liri, Alarian began, but paused with a frown at her rank. Oh— you shouldn't be a Cipher. Sorry about that; everyone starts there. He offered an apologetic smile. If you're a healer, you should be a Caretaker— will be, I mean. I just have to um, make sure you know what you're doing— I've been a little absent.
The Governor fell more easily into the conversation than he had realized he would, finding the last of his nerves fading with the new direction. Why don't we collect some herbs together around the territory? I haven't found all the best places yet. Explicitly mentioning his own pursuits in healing slipped his mind, but perhaps it was obvious. He gestured for her to follow him, leading her towards the edge of the forest along their borders, where he had found most of his herbs so far.
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
He studies her and she should be embarrassed. She feels as if she should cringe, hide from his eyes and the rest of them too. 

But she refuses. She will not hide her scars, her story, from anyone. Never again. 

Instead, the ghostly woman stands steady - albeit respectfully - and allows him to drink in her demons. 

"Oh," the healer blinks in surprise, "oh, okay. I wasn't aware." 

"Alright, great, let's go," 
she smiles, eager to prove herself. Scooping up her fish with the intention of storing it somewhere, Liri pads after him at a slower pace given her limp. 

"What do I need to do?" Curious brown eyes glance at the Governor, nervous but ready.

1,293 Posts
Ooc —
He noticed the fish belatedly, when she picked it up, but his thoughts were elsewhere now. Honestly, he didn't know a lot about herbs— and while he didn't want to pretend he did, he also didn't want the woman to think he wasn't qualified for his job. Really, he wasn't, but he didn't need anyone else to know that.
Well, Alarian began carefully, slowing instinctively to match Liri's pace. You can locate some herbs and explain your knowledge of them— then I'll help you collect them. That should be good enough.
The Governor paused briefly. Ranks here are based on contribution— everyone has a role. Or, they should. No one is going to look down on you or kick you out for not doing enough, but contributing will earn you respect. It was a simple explanation— things worked rather simply at Bracken Sanctuary, he thought. If only they worked smoothly.
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
Liri flashes him a small - but grateful - smile as he slows, trying to keep the feeling of inadequacy at bay. 

The fae dips her snowy head in silent response as Alarian further explains the inner workings of the Sanctuary. It's stranger than she expected, completely different than anywhere she's been.

But perhaps, that will mean better than anywhere she's ever been.

Liri doesn't bother promising to contribute. The quiet girl has long learned that words are empty. 

She will prove it to him with actions.

With a nod as he finishes speaking, Liri hesitantly takes the lead and combs the forest in search of herbs. A litte way in, she spots a cluster of orange flowers. 

Liri stops by them to explain. "Marigold," she gestures to them with a small nod. "They keep wounds from rotting, from becoming infected. And they help to heal small wounds, sores," she concludes shyly, harvesting a portion of the flowers.

Further in from where she finds th marigolds, is a nettle plant. "You can use both the seeds and leaves on this one. The leaves are used for swelling of wounds. The seeds are used as antidote for weak poisons." 

She begins to pick leaves from the plant, glancing at him curiously, wondering if she passed.

1,293 Posts
Ooc —
want to wrap this up? <3
He settled comfortably into following her as she took the lead, watching carefully as she located some herbs. The boy mimicked her actions, collecting the flowers carefully as he listened to her speak. His eyes sparkled, still half watching her even as he gathered the marigold. Alarian had always admired medicinal knowledge. To call it useful would have been a vast understatement.
That was perfect, The Governor announced with a warm smile when they had finished with the nettle plant; he had gathered a few of the seeds for his own storage alongside the leaves. I think you'll be a great Caretaker, Liri. Thank you— for making this easy. The last few words came with a short laugh.
I can show you where I've been storing herbs? He offered, tail swishing; he would definitely have to find Liri again, perhaps soak up some more of her knowledge. That she seemed easy to get along with was a great bonus. If she accepted his offer, he would do just what he had said— if not, he would wish her well and take his leave for the day, to store the herbs and mull the information he had received.
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
short but thanks for the thread!

A relieved grin spread over her face not unlike the sunlight breaking free of overcast clouds on a dreary day. "No problem," she nods her head with gratitude and what might have been pride. 

"That would be great," she gestures for the Governor to take the lead, falling in step behind him. Awkwardly holding her fish and herbs, she limps after Alarian, unable to stop her tail from wagging.