Heron Lake Plateau I've got news for you, baby. You're looking at The Man.
a determination so powerful it could turn the sky storm black
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena
All Welcome 

Backdated to her thread with Raven. :)

The Blackthorn firebrand had followed Raven back to the place where her family allegedly resided, and after (probably) getting a tour of the place, she focused her efforts on settling in.  Immediately she began to patrol the borders, allowing her scent to intermingle with the Redhawk clan's to avoid being mistaken for a troublemaker — or worse, a trespasser.

Although she did not want to admit it, she was filled with a bubbling excitement.  There was family here, real blood family.  But somehow, she always seemed to ruin things.  She stuck to the outskirts of the pack for now, too full of cowardice to introduce herself.

Ghost
I still don't get it right sometimes · I just don't get it as wrong
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Now that summer was here, Colt was considering a trip out.  He'd been doing so before he rejoined the Redhawk crew, and despite his renewed status, he still itched to go back.  Just once.  It wasn't far... maybe a week trip.  He hadn't asked yet, though, so today he was merely going to hit up the neighboring woods.

That is, until a firebrand stranger caught his eye and he pulled up his run, lessening to a trot and then to stand.  Who was.... hold up.  Was that a stripe?

"Ayo, who're you?" He called, moving to jog and intercept her.  He assumed she was pack; she was an idiot if not.  So he wasn't antagonistic, simply curious.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

wow you are so fast!!

Damn straight that was a stripe.  She turned her head, her ears perked and alert as she heard someone call out to her.  Ceara Blackthorn, she called back, slowing down so the stranger could catch up easier.  

Raven brought me in and I thought I'd go ahead and get to work, make myself useful.  Who're you?  She looked him over and yep, he had a stripe too.  I'm assuming you're a Blackthorn of some sort, neh?  Raven told me there were a good number of us here.

Boy, was she feeling chatty or what?  Hopefully she hadn't said something unintentionally stupid.

Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Yep, another damn Blackthorn.  Good!  "That we do, but we don't have room for any but the best, so guess you can't blame us." He grinned cockily, then looked a bit closer.  He didn't recognize her, but she seemed young.... younger than Fern or even Cyclone.  Too bad they hadn't stuck around.

"So, whose're you?  Mom and pop still pumping them out or did they finally throw in the towel?"  It was about that time wasn't it?  Surely they were gettin old enough to be out of the babymaking game, much as they might be determined to populate the entire surrounding area.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

Now this dude had a clue.  Casual and cool.  Damn straight.  You're the first one I've met so far, but I did say I just got here.  Who else has stuck around?  Not that she would recognize any of them, they had mostly split before she was born and their names kind of whirled around in her head without any faces to put them to.

Eithne and Cathal're my mom and pops.  Can't believe they're still... you know?  Like, fertile.  They yours, too?  She couldn't even recall how old they were.  Oops.  Ceara hadn't really been the best daughter.  So, who're you?

Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
"Fuck, yeah." He was surprised for a moment, but then laughed.  "Hey, guess we should be glad, eh? Apparently the genes say we can go forever."  Not that Colt had much interest in kids.  At times he thought it might be nice, but uncle was cool too.  And he likely had some out there anyway.. he hadn't exactly kept tabs.

"Name's Colt.  Well... name's Tiarnach, but as usual, Colt's easier.  Aside from me there's Finley, her kids,  and some new sister.  Lynx?"  He wasn't one hundred percent on the name.  "Haven't met her yet."  Put like that it didn't sound like much, but... "I think Fin's tryin to catch mom and pop... she's got a slew of kids."
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

Oh.  If Ceara had wanted children, that likely would have been a good thing... but she really wasn't interested in them.  It wasn't that she was mean to them, but they weirded her out and the whole getting pregnant thing didn't seem very enticing.  She was a late bloomer — she had just turned two when the breeding season had ended and had yet to experience her first heat.  Maybe next year would be different.

But probably not.  Yeah, if that's your thing, right?  She rolled her shoulders and her ears flicked back.  Yeah.  Everyone called me Fire, but that seems like kind of a dumb name.  Surely it wasn't as bad as Tadpole, haha.  Colt's good, though.

Oh, cool.  I don't think I met any of them, they were probably all gone before I was born.  But um.  Young'ins?  How old?  Is it like, safe to stumble upon Momma Bear or am I gonna get my head bit off still?  That would be something to avoid if she could, heh.

Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Colt shook his head.  "You think that's bad?  You should ask Fin what mom and dad nicknamed her.  Actually... I'll just tell you.  Frog."  He grinned.  "You should definitely call her that, all the time.  She loves it."  Yeah, his was definitely the best of the nicknames.  But they saved the best for the best, right? 

"I haven't gone too close, but I don't think she'll bite your head off.  Might be best to call first though."  He wasn't sure how protective Finley was of her kids, so he hadn't tried to interact much yet.  He was better with the older ones anyway.  Pups were too fragile and boring for his taste... better avoided.  "Guessin you haven't met her yet then?"
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

She balked and laughed.  My brother's name is Tadpole.  What kind of parents just — just — do that to someone?  Like jesus christ, it was like they wanted all of their children to run away and resent them forever.  In hindsight, Fire wasn't too bad.  God.  Frog.

She shook her head.  Nope.  I like, actually, just arrived.  Like.  Earlier.  I haven't met anyone other'n you and Raven.  She rolled her shoulders, tail flicked behind her.  But if everyone's as cool as you, I don't think I'll have an issue.  Is there anyone that isn't cool?

Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Tadpole.  Frog.  Wow they were runnin low on options weren't they?  

"Sis, there's no one in this world cool as me.  But a couple of em come pretty close," he said, winking.  Did he believe that? Who the fuck knew.  But he said it, constantly really, and tended to be if you said something enough it started to be true.  Life lessons.  "Yeah, most are alright.  There's a couple could use a little better sense of humor, so if you don't want trouble, step lightly.  Me... I just deal with the trouble."  She gave him the impression of being similar in manner to himself, and so someone who might rub a few of them the wrong way.  Who knew though?  Maybe she'd have better luck.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

Hah!  Cream of the crop right here — Ceara and Colt, at your service.  Uh-huh.  Alright, Slick.  I'm pretty bad at keepin' my trap shut, but guess I'll just roll with the punches, neh?  She snorted and brushed a paw across the ground.  Best I can, anyway.  Thanks for the heads-up.  I'm gonna get back to work if you wanna, you know, be useful with me.

Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
There we go, that was the spirit!  Maybe Ceara here could even help with the 'lighten these Redhawks the fuck up' initiative that Colt had so kindly taken upon himself.  Was it going well?  No, not really.  But he'd never had much interest in reading the room so who the fuck cared.

"Useful? Alright.  What's the job?"  He could scout later... a trip alone had seemed just the thing earlier, but now, he'd prefer the company.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

If Ceara would have known about the scouting trip, she would've insisted on coming along — very soon she'd be going on one of her own to check out the regional resources for herself (and little did she know, run into a friend).  But she didn't!  What a shame.  (He should still take her some time).

I was just markin' borders, making sure nobody thinks I'm some idiot trespasser.  But if you got something better in mind...  She rolled her shoulders to finish her sentence as vaguely as she could.

Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Hmm, patrol.  He marked the borders as he wanted, but he wasn't the most avid patroller... something about walking in circles, somehow, didn't appeal to the bachelor.  But again, company made a lot of things better, and he was enjoying this sister's vibe.

"I mean, I was just heading to hit up the neighboring woods for.... not sure yet.  But either or sounds equally... thrilling."  He snorted, but smiled.  It wasn't either of their faults pack life could be dull at times.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

We can start a separate thread for them if you wanna, idk, use this for trade stuff or w/e

Well, that didn't sound too bad at all.  Sounds good to me.  There are some apples in Grouse Thicket, just over the corner, because apparently she was going to tell everyone because they were just so interesting or whatever.  But if you wanna just, I don't know, go exploring, I haven't seen much of the territory yet.

Or the surrounding territories.  Or any of her packmates, except for this guy.  So, it's up to you.

Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Yikes.  "I'll skip on the apples.  Had a pretty bad experience with them a few years back, now I can't even stand to smell them."  He wrinkled his nose, but then gave a wink.  "Guess patrol it is!"  

Unlike them, he was already well aware of the effects of fermented fruit.  He'd had quite the bender in the period post-Hawkin, not the best point in Colt's life.  And ever since then he hadn't had much love for the stuff.  Some fruit he could do fresh; apples he avoided like the plague.

I don't need guardian so unless you want to we can prob just fade!! <3
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena
I need threads for merc general, but if you want we can either archive anyway (I don't wanna add to your threadlog & made my post fade-ready) or carry in this thread.  <3

Patrolling was probably more useful than eating some apples or going exploring.  She had no issue marking the borders alongside her older sibling; he was good company and she was still too anxious (and busy) to introduce herself to any of her other packmates.  She gave him a quirky smile and a quick nod.  Lead the way.

Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
we can continue here then!!!

She agreed readily and he set off along the territory edge, choosing a direction pretty much at random since they'd just be walking either a portion of or a full circle anyway.  "Let's have it." A large part of him hoped they actually might run across a thread.. because let's be real.  Patrols were boring as fuck othrrwise.

"Alright, Fire, while we go... what made you come all the way out here?" he asked, genuinely curious.  He assumed they all had their reasons for branching out, but it was fun to know. "Just get tired of life with mom and dad?"
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

ahhh so much fun drama took up my time this thread got neglected i'm sorry

Ugh, that wasn't fair.  She didn't know Colt's name, so she couldn't tease him.  Maybe she shouldn't have given him the ammunition.  At least in hindsight Fire wasn't so bad; maybe eventually she'd be comfortable sharing that name more often.  Well um, my brother had a big fight with mom and dad, yeah.  And after that I just.. didn't really have anything left.  Everyone else was boring.  So I left.  She rolled her shoulders.  I stayed with this pack wayout in the desert for a while and picked up a bunch of cool ideas, but it was.. all boys.  Like one hundred percent boys.

She rubbed herself along a tree, a little bit of her fiery pelt detached and stuck to a branch.  That didn't work out.  So now I'm here.  What about you?

Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
"Sounds like a drag," he agreed when she spoke of the all-dude pack, sure he'd hate a spot like that too.  For a while Redhawks had been mostly, but fortunately they'd gained some color.  For how much of an ass younger Colt had been to women, he appreciated them a lot too.  Probably came from havin the family he had.

"Same, basically.  Didn't have anything left where I was, so figured I'd find Finley again, sort out our issues and stick around."  Albeit his had a few more years of false starts behind it.  "Can't say I regret it yet."  He scanned the far treeline as they walked, looking for any sign of off movement outside the border.  Nothin yet.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

I lied, we can actually wrap this up whenever you'd like. <3

Lucky for the pair, the borders were pretty quiet today.  It allowed them time to talk, and she was grateful for it.  I'll have to see Finley sometime, then, if she's anything like you.  Already she had taken to Colt, though she supposed that only time would tell how things panned out for her here.

I don't think I'll end up regretting it either.

Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
ok!! Feel free to wrap or archive <3

"I'd hope not.  And she's alright.  If your expecting her to be cool as me, though, afraid your in for disappointment.  Unfair standard, really."  He grinned, knowing Fin would hate just as much to be compared to him, only for the opposite reason.  

They hadnt run into trouble, but Colt intended to round the lake a bit, see what the far side held.  Boring circuits were always better with company to share the talk, so he'd take advantage of this time to get to know Ceara a bit better, and to maybe find out how things were back home when she'd left.