Heron Lake Plateau Actually I'd guess you'd call it a tavern
Ghost
I still don't get it right sometimes · I just don't get it as wrong
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
All Welcome 
open to pretty much anyone!

Colt had heard by now what had happened to @Screech, though he didn't know the details.  He'd been stopping in almost daily with @Raven for a bit of practice in the strange gesture language, and was finding that he actually enjoyed the learning. And he was picking it up pretty well, considering.  Apparently languages were a thing for him.

Anyway, he'd heard what happened, but hadn't had time until now to stop by and check in.  He was more there to see how @Niamh was doing, but he was curious how the boy was holding up despite his state.  He doubted there was much he could do, but needed to check anyway.  

He found Niamh's hideaway pretty quickly, but didn't approach too close.  Instead he hung back, loitering about a dozen paces away.  "Niamh? You around?"  If she wasn't, he didn't really want to intrude.  Not without Raven or someone givin him justification to do so by being present also.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
I'm totally fine if this is a cameo!

Although Towhee was concerned about Screech's well-being in a general sense, she was actually stopping by more so to see Niamh than her invalid brother. Instead of either one of them, however, she saw a very unwelcome sight indeed: Colt's ass.

Towhee did an immediate about-face. Screech and Niamh could wait 'til later. But Towhee—already in a chronically sour temper due to her healing wounds—was not in the mood for Colt's ass(iness).
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
Ghost
So then find Dodge, then get out of it
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Niamh's ears turned back in slight irritation when yet another visitor stopped by. For the amount of wolves in the pack who complained about Screech being an idiot, he sure had a lot of visitors. She stretched and took her time getting to her feet inside the den and cast a small glance to the still figure laying on a bed of feathers. "Another fan," She drawled. "Or maybe someone's come to say their goodbyes. You should wake up, now, just out of spite," She murmured to him quietly before she moved toward the den's small entrance and crawled out into the daylight. 

She squinted and yawned, flicking her ears forward when she saw Colt. She hadn't exactly expected to see him come to visit Screech. She saw Towhee turn around to leave, and considered shouting after her...But that would have been pointless and laughable. She looked back to Colt. "I should start charging admission to see him."
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Fortunately or unfortunately, you decide, Colt didn't detect Towhee's approach and summary departure.  He lifted his head, though, when Niamh came out. She didn't seem particularly thrilled, but he smiled at the comment anyway.

"Hey now.... not just here for that.  How's the leg?"  It looked like she was using it fine, which was good.  And that sounded like a better opener than 'how are you holdin up'.  Colt didn't realize he was prob most amiable to Screech of his family, but he did know she was one of the closest.  Couldn't be easy.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
When Colt asked about her leg, she slid to the ground slowly, half in and half out of her den. She'd move if he insisted that he go inside and see Screech- but there certainly wasn't much to look at. He just looked like he was sleeping, and watching someone while they slept was just creepy. Niamh allowed visitors- but she didn't particularly enjoy it. The only wolf she really anticipated seeing was Raven, hoing that the news would change sometime, finally, when she came in to look at him. Niamh had noticed change- but it hadn't been good. It had been too long since he'd been able to eat or drink. 

"Leg's dandy," She said, a bit flatly, and patted it against the ground, both as an invitation for him to come join her, and to demonstrate that it didn't hurt. "Healed up a little while ago," She continued. "You keeping out of trouble?" She asked, then, finally showing some actual interest in him being there.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Colt came a bit closer at the gesture, and also sat down, though did not slide completely to the ground.  He was fine with the arrangement, not having much interest in intruding.

"Glad to hear it."  He was, though he hadn't worried too much.  Raven seemed more than capable of patching up a twisted leg.  She asked after him and he nodded, liking the way she phrased it.  "Well as I can.  Raven's been teaching me.. well."  He didn't remember the term for it, but he signed a quick hello to her.  "And here I thought everyone here just had the same weird twitch."  He added, laughter evident behind the tone.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Niamh lifted her head when Colt tried to explain what it was he'd been learning from Raven, and behind her, in the den, her tail thumped against the ground. So he was trying- and his effort wouldn't likely be lost on Towhee, as soon as she found out that he was learning ptero. Her mood lifted a little, and she nodded. "Ptero," she supplied, when he motioned the word. He coaxed a small giggle from her with his comment about the wolves speaking a sort of sign language, and laughed. 

"What's the sign for your name? Or have you made one yet?" She asked. Towhee had taught Niamh that there was a way to spell a name out- but then again, a sign worked much better for Niamh's name than spelling it, given that Irish...Well, it hardly ever sounds how it's spelled. She made the gesture for her own name- which involved running one forepaw over one ear and down her muzzle, and then gesturing with her nose toward the sun. "That's mine. Apparently it's sort of a combination of 'clean' and 'gold.'" She said, with a wry grin. A bit odd, for a name, but she and Towhee had built it together, so that's what it would be.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
He got a laugh!!! Which in his opinion was him helping.  Even if he could do nothing else, brightening a friend's (?) day when they appeared to be having a shitty one was enough in his books.

"Raven showed me, I like it.  It definitely fits."  He made the sign for hers.  If there was anyone in the pack he'd describe as catlike, it would likely be Niamh.  Then he nodded, and it was his turn to laugh.  "She gave me one, since I wasn't sure.  Apparently it has something to do with me speaking my mind."  He made the sign for his own name, a circle around his muzzle and then a touch to his mouth.  "I like it.  Never had the chance to learn another way of speaking before, kinda cool."
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Colt seemed different now...Or maybe it was simply because the circumstances were different this time- he wasn’t making fun of her, as he’d probably learned that Niamh couldn’t tolerate it when insult was added to injury. Raven had shown him her name, and she had to wonder if she’d volunteered it or if he’s asked for her name specifically. 

He signed his own name, and drew another small laugh from her, and she nodded. ”It suits you. I like it.” She said. Any other time she might have been a bit more sarcastic with the first part of her statement- but instead her tone was soft and fond. ”It is kinda fun, eh? Have you shown Towhee what you’ve learned yet?” she asked. ”She knows all the swear words.”
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Colt was an interesting personality.  If the situation was what he deemed 'less than serious', he would make fun indescriminantly, teasing on whatever thoughts he might have.  Hence his earlier interaction with Niamh; badly timed and placed for her, but acceptable under his standards. A situation like this? Definitely serious, and definitely out of bounds to joke about.  Cmon... he was fond of Screech after all.

He liked that she thought it suited him too, because he wasn't sure what he was doing yet with the signing, and for all he knew Raven could have given him the name 'assbreath' and he would have no clue.  

He faltered though when she mentioned showing Towhee. "Not really.  Last time I tried to make nice it didn't exactly go well," he confessed, his tone casual. "Don't much want to repeat unless I know she's ready too."  In other words.. he was gonna wait for her to come to him.  He want about to beat his head against a rock if he doubted anything would come of it.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
While he didn't tense up at Towhee's name, there was a sort of reluctance that accompanied his words when she brought the beta's name up. Niamh had caught sight of Towhee's tail end leaving as Colt had approached, so he must not have crossed paths with her. Though using ptero had helped her communicate with Clover, it hadn't worked with Fiadh- so maybe Towhee would be the same way. "Maybe she just needs more time." Niamh volunteered. At least Colt wasn't trying to follow Towhee around to make her like him...But then again, he didn't seem like the kind of wolf who would do that, anyway. She pegged Colt to be more of a 'take me as I am' kind of guy, who wouldn't get upset if someone simply didn't like him. 

She heard a gentle sigh from within the den behind her, and turned one ear back. No other sounds came, aside from the gentle, regular and slow breaths that came from Screech as he continued to sleep. Her expression fell, but she looked up at Colt then. "Did...Did you want to see him?" She asked. That was likely why he'd come to her densite after all, even if he was one of the many who didn't like Screech too much. It seemed easier to assume the rest of the pack either hated him, or barely tolerated him.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
If she did, he was glad to give it, and if not, he was workin towards the acceptance that it might not be meant to be.

She asked then if he wanted to see Screech, and seeemed slightly downcast about it.  Unsurprising.  Colt thought a moment, then shook his head.  "I'm no healer, not much lookin is gonna do.  But you need anything, let me know.  K?"  He'd leave her to it, but he'd be around.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
It surprised Niamh when Colt showed disinterest in seeing Screech, and it took her a moment, but she finally came to the realization that he hadn't come to see the pack's comatose wrench Screech. He'd come to see her. She was quiet for a moment, tasting the sweet feeling of bashfulness when she allowed that thought to sink in. He'd come to check in on her, not Screech...And he wasn't asking about how her head felt- but about how she felt. She was touched, flattered, and honestly, felt a bit girlish. 

She finally looked up at him, a small sparkle returning to her eyes. The thought ran through her head again, and brought a tiny, private smile to her lips. "Thanks Colt." She said, and touched her nose to his shoulder. She'd been a bit overlooked for quite some time now- but finally having someone come in to check on her made her feel like she was actually cared for- and made her want to care for herself.
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
gonna wrap! Feel free to post again or archive <3

He admired her dedication in taking care of her friend, because it was something he wasn't sure he had in himself.  Yeah, he had a soft spot for Screech, but the guy was kinda useless right now, and Colt was more inclined to let nature run its course than take care of dead weight.  He didn't mention it, however, knowing both she and Raven had a widely different view.  There was a reason a pack took all kinds.

But he was glad he could brighten her day, and it seems he had succeeded.  "No prob.  I'll snag you something if I can, but I suppose I should probably go make myself useful."  He winked, then trotted off, heading towards the border to run a quick patrol and maybe rustle up some prey.