Heron Lake Plateau I don't know what you've been told
Ghost
So then find Dodge, then get out of it
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
All Welcome 
This actually happened to my mother, who was working out in the woods at the time...So I'm stealing it for this, heh! It was definitely one of the craziest things she's seen while working in the woods.

Niamh had just witnessed- and nearly been a victim of- one of the strangest sights she'd ever seen in her life. While she'd seen a lot lately, this was something that was in a category of its own, and it baffled her. It was such a strange incident that she didn't even want to lie and say she'd caught the damn thing herself- the true story was wild enough. 

She'd been patrolling the wooded borders to the North when she heard the raucous sound of several crows making loud, repetitive accusations. She'd curled her tail- maybe she'd just wandered too close to their nesting site, who knew. But when she heard a sickening thunk and something fell to the ground heavily beside her, she'd jumped in surprise. The crows, hollering accusations, had been chasing a bald eagle away from their nesting grounds. But the crows were smaller and more nimble, and had harassed the eagle, which had been so flustered by their onslaught that it had slipped up in its judgement for just a split moment- and had flown head first into a tree. 

Its neck broken on impact, it'd fallen to the ground, landing just beside Naimh who hadn't been prepared for something like that to happen- nor had she been prepared to ever come into such close contact with a bird that was as large as this, or as beautiful. Immediately, she felt bad, and wasn't sure what to do with it. While she ate smaller birds, and collected their feathers, it seemed a sin to do so to a predatory bird. X might even be offended. Still, leaving it at the border seemed to be a disgrace, as the crows circled overhead. 

She sniffed the bird, making sure that it was dead, before she gingerly grabbed it by the back of its neck, and began dragging it toward the Roost. If anyone would know what to do with it, X might. And if he didn't take offense to the eagle being plucked and/or eaten, she'd gift it to the alphas, but save some feathers for herself. The eagle was massive, and she had to straddle it as she walked, heart still racing from her incredible find.
26 Posts
Ooc —
He hadn't met a whole lot of faces yet. Everyone seemed so busy and most of the time Moose felt like an outsider looking in. It wasn't the worst, though. He contributed to the pack whenever he could to make sure his name stayed on the good side of things. Maybe he should start doing a bit more. Go out of his way to do the bigger tasks.

The male was deep in his thoughts when he spotted a figure dragging something along. He halted his movements as deep brown eyes squinted. What exactly was she....oh. That was a really big catch. How was he going to compete with that?

How'd you manage to catch that? He asked softly as he padded a bit closer.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
When Niamh first caught sight of the stranger she balked. He was both an unfamiliar sight and a noteworthy one. There was something about his unique, earthy markings and the shape of his face that looked exotic to Niamh, who had only seen one other wolf who had a similar sort of beautiful strangeness about them- Coelacanth. The dark, feathery female popped into Niamh’s mind, and she reminded herself to go visit Undersea sometime, to check in on her sylphlike friend.

His scent was earthy and woody, but unmistakably familiar in a sense that she could tell he belonged here. A new addition, likely. She let go of the eagle gently, setting its head down carefully and looking up in response to his question, shaking her head.

”I didn’.” She said. ”Catch it, I mean. Ih was chased into a tree by a bunch of crows. Never seen one of these on the ground before...S’a a lot bigger than I expected up close,” She said. Niamh wasn’t the type of wolf to lie about a kill- not when something like this would have been impossible for a wolf to catch. She eyed him again, admiring the look he had- a sort of noble squareness to his muzzle, sharp ears and a pattern to his coat that made her envious. ”You new here?” She asked kindly.
26 Posts
Ooc —
If he had known her thoughts, he likely would have grown flattered and embarrassed enough to possibly flee the scene. Lucky for them he wasn't a mind reader so he remained as composed as he had arrived.

He listened with obvious interest to the honey female's words. For a moment he thought she was lying but then realized there would be nothing to gain from telling a story like that. There was something to gain from saying you killed it, though. Which she didn't. Oh. He said as he looked at the feathered creature. How hard had it hit that tree?

Moose was drawn back to reality by her question, head quickly bobbing. Yeah. I'm Moose. It wasn't a fancy introduction - nothing like having an eagle - but it would do he hoped. I can help you carry that if you want. He offered with a small shy smile.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
Niamh wasn't sure whether he believed her or not- but then again, it wasn't a big deal to her if he didn't. He was a newcomer, and not exactly someone who could sling their weight around and contradict her story. He did seem interested in the eagle though, but she wasn't entirely certain she wanted to trust him with it. What if he wasn't such a nice guy and decided that he'd try to take off with it on his own? What if it became a tugging match and he ended up ripping the wings off it? It would be slightly awkward, anyway, for them both to carry it- each taking one wing or something along those lines, so she smiled and politely declined. "Nah- he's actually pretty light. Just more awkward than anything but it'd probably get even more awkward to carry if we both tried. Thanks though," She said. 

As a reply to his introduction, she bobbed her head and gave him a friendly smile, one which likely would have revealed a mouth that was missing one upper canine. "Nice to meet you, Moose. I'm Niamh." She said. "You're not a Blackthorn by any chance, are you? They tend to have names from other animals...And there are lots of Blackthorns in this pack." He certainly didn't look like one- but then again, maybe only part of him was Blackthorn, as it appeared that only part of him was wolf. As far as Niamh could tell, Blackthorn dudes were great- and if Moose was one of them, it'd work out in his favour.
26 Posts
Ooc —
Yeah, of course. He gave a small nod of his head as his smile dissipated into something neutral. She probably had a point, dragging it by the wings or something sounded awkward.

His head swayed at her question. Not a Blackthorn. Suppose it's just by chance I found myself with other animal-named wolves. The male let out a small awkward laugh. Did others think he was a Blackthorn too? When they found out he wasn't would they think he was some kind of poser? The thought was a bit nerve-wracking honestly. He didn't want anything thinking he was here to sneak his way into a family or anything.

Maybe I can walk back with you? Ya know, just to make sure no other giant birds get chased out of the sky on the way back. He was trying to integrate himself into the pack and that meant finding excuses to be social with others. Even if the excuse sounded extremely wild.
Ghost
1,740 Posts
Ooc — Jess
Warrior
Master Guardian
It didn't surprise Niamh terribly to find out Moose wasn't a Blackthorn. She'd been wrong before, and hadn't known other wolves were Blackthorns, so obviously picking them out wasn't her specialty...Nor did she feel they ought to be, though. This guy seemed decent enough, though, and friendly. He was willing to help, and obviously wanted to get to know the other wolves in the pack, so he was trying- and that gained him a couple of points in Niamh's book. As she was headed toward the Roost- or at least to the lake, as dragging a dead eagle through the water across the lake probably wasn't a good idea- he'd offered to accompany her, and she accepted the invite with a nod. 

"Sure thing! I won't be able to talk much, through the feathers- so why don't you tell me a bit about yourself, or something, as we go?" She said. She didn't want to be putting the bird down every two steps if he chose to ask her a bunch of questions, so listening would obviously make things easier. "Like...Favourite thing to eat, any trades you might want, stuff about where you come from, who you've met so far- anything." She said, volunteering a few ideas to get him started. She picked the bird back up by its neck, and began to pull it along, the majority of its body trailing between her legs as she went.