Blackfeather Woods sinnasaik
·    ⋆     ˚ ˚    ✦
240 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
From the moment she woke up, Shivali knew today would be The Day. Tahani has been a big help in the last few days and she’s certain she couldn’t be more prepared. The whelping den is ready, there’s herbs nearby, she’s taken some at the instruction of her sister, and as another contraction hits her, she freezes in place and waits it out. When it passes, she inspects the whelping den for the umpteenth time to make sure it would fit her and her sister (if necessary) and, of course, the children. She digs at one corner that isn’t perfectly smooth until another wave of pain comes upon her.

This one is stronger than the others, and a quiet yelp escapes her maw and she’s forced to lie down. They’d been getting increasingly worse but this one jumped ten decimals, knocking her off her feet. With no time to call Tahani, certain she can do this n her own—hell, she would have been if they hadn’t showed up—and she pushes until she produces the slimy sack of her first born. She licks, rips, and tears away at the tissue until a small, wet thing is free. A few nuzzles of her nose, licks across the face, and other ministrations does unnamed @Aningan makes a squeal of life. Her work does not stop until he is completely free and severed from the placenta and it is properly disposed of.

After inspecting him properly for any defects of illness, she lines him up with her breast until he latches and lets him eagerly feed for the first time of his little life. She watches him quietly, feeling the heaviness of her lids at the same time another contraction comes through. Shivali quietly sighs as it is short lived, and she is rewarded with nothing else in the moment, but not long after she makes a low call for @Tahani to come to her.
Nothern 
Common
0/3 threads
i opened my mouth in the night and the night poured in
the night fit against the ridges behind my teeth
the night packed itself under my tongue and settled in, as if to sleep
167 Posts
Ooc — mercury
she was sleeping when the call rang out. part of her hadn't expected Shivali to go into labor for a few days yet; it always seemed like there wasn't enough time to prepare. nevertheless, one made plans and then the gods laughed at them, and so when the howl shivered through her dreams, she knew it was the day. Tahani rose without stretching, racing the short distance to the whelping den.

when she arrived, she found her sister already nursing one pup, healthy and strong. her eyes lit with wonder as she took in the sight, her heart melting. "Shivali," she greeted warmly, nuzzling her sister's cheek. it wasn't over; her belly was still distended, rippling with life inside.

"you took the raspberry leaves i gave you?" Tahani asked, keeping her voice low and gentle. "that will help with the pain. here. . ." she stepped away, nosing around in the cache she kept just outside the whelping den, coming back with a mouthful of fresh greenery. she set it close by, just far enough away that it wouldn't be a bother. "these are borage leaves. when your pups are all born, eat these; they will help with your milk flow."

some first-time mothers had trouble producing, but the pup had latched on and was suckling fine, which was encouraging. Tahani sat close, a silent presence, waiting for her sister's next contraction.
Common · Inuttut
·    ⋆     ˚ ˚    ✦
240 Posts
Ooc —
Shivali does not have to wait long before Tahani is filling the den, taking up the rest of the small space. The new mother eagerly nuzzles against her sister, filling in the growing loneliness of her chest. Though children never weighed heavily on her mind in the north, if she had pictured it, it was with the conventional mother and father and many healthy babies. Her sister being here erases all of it and she can’t ask for anything better. 

“Yes,” she assures her sister as she goes on to explain again what there good for. A smile can’t help but form upon her features. Her sister turns away for something else and she looks at it carefully, nodding her head. “He looks like you,” she jokes, a stupid grin showing on her face. 

It doesn’t take much to wipe the smell from her face, another wave taking over. She squirms uncomfortably, bumping into her sister, before settling and starting to push. The first born is knocked around a little bit she readjusts him for the new setting. She leans over as a second child is born, pulling it close and tearing away at the membrane. She works to clean the pale child, growing colder by the second, and no amount of ministrations breath life inside the tiny body. Saddened, she whines, pressing her nose into the body and into her chest, licking at the babe again to stir something inside him. 

All efforts are in vain and she closes her tired eyes, resting her head against the cold, lifeless body, not yet ready to give it up.
Nothern 
Common
0/3 threads
167 Posts
Ooc — mercury
she laughed quietly at the joke, but it was soon back to business, with another contraction rippling through Shivali. Tahani pressed back as she pushed, and another pup was born, Shivali quickly licking the membrane from its face. there was no time to feel joyful; things went south rather fast.

the pup didn't respond--the body was still, stiff. Shivali licked and licked, to no avail. finally, she pressed the body to her, closing her eyes. grief washed over Tahani, though she knew she couldn't let the emotion rule over her. there was work still to be done. she presses her nose to Shivali's head, a mournful whine escaping her lips.

"i am sorry, sister," she murmured, shutting her eyes as well. she stood and waited for the next pup to come. it wasn't uncommon for new mothers to lose one or more of their first litter; she hoped the others would come out alive, healthy and hearty.
Common · Inuttut
·    ⋆     ˚ ˚    ✦
240 Posts
Ooc —
She pulls strength from her sister’s touch and she wiggles her head a little, attempting to keep the contact a little longer. Her ear twitches upon her voice, and she whines when they separate. It dies softly in her throat but he doesn’t make any attempt to move as her sister does. She spends a little more time with the stillborn tucked safely against her. The child hadn’t known anything of this world, and did not suffer in his passing. Not all is lost, her eldest reminders, squeaking upon unlatching and noisily yawns.

“Will you bury him? They don’t need to know,” she asks, ears falling back against her head. Gingerly, she moves the little body toward Tahani.
Nothern 
Common
0/3 threads
167 Posts
Ooc — mercury
her words were like a blow, battering her heart. still, what had to be done must be done. opening her eyes, Tahani nodded, taking the pup in her mouth and carrying it out of the den. she set it a short distance away, beginning to dig, her thoughts at once both here and a thousand miles away.

how many pups had died here, in these woods? how many tiny bodies were buried beneath this soil? they'd never lived, never breathed, and yet their spirits were just as valid and important as those souls who'd lived through dozens of seasons. she shed a quiet tear for her nephew whom she'd never know, and all others who had lost their lives before they'd had a chance to live, until there was a good-sized howl in the ground.

gently, Tahani placed the body inside the opening and looked at it for a long while, eyes solemn. "AKumik," she whispered, then began to close the hole again, sending showers of dirt to cover the forever-sleeping babe. when she had finished, she shook the dirt from her paws and returned to the den, sitting by Shivali's side.

"it is done," she said simply, waiting for what came next.
Common · Inuttut
·    ⋆     ˚ ˚    ✦
240 Posts
Ooc —
Time comes to a stop while her sister is gone, ears cupped forward to listen to the sounds happening outside the den. Her body starts to relax and if she weren’t so wound up, she’d easily fall asleep. She knew it would take a lot out of her but nothing prepared her for how it really feels. The few minutes she has alone begins to ease some of the tension. Her sister’s presence and aid is comforting but at the same time part of her wants to shy away from everything.

Maybe Siarut’s right. Is this a mistake?

Shivali takes a breath as Tahani comes back and she scoots closer, touching the closest thing she can reach. Before long, another wave rolls through her. She groans, shifts her weight. A quiet prayer repeats over in her mind, pushing until her third-born is welcomed into the world. She repeats the same as before, breaking away the tissue to another son, gently licking him all over until he makes the most beautiful sound. The new mother whines, pulling  unnamed @Sos to her to finish cleaning him off and similarly aligns him next to his brother.

“Will you call for Takiyok?” she asks, quietly, and after a moment of consideration, “and Siarut."
Nothern 
Common
0/3 threads
167 Posts
Ooc — mercury
more contraction, more pushing, and another baby came into the world--and as the membrane broke, it let out a cry. Tahani breathed a sigh of relief as the second-born was shuffled next to his brother, nursing. she licked the top of Shivali's head, smiling.

"you're doing an amazing job," she crooned. "of course i'll call for them."

with one last fond glance at the pups, Tahani stepped out of the den, rolling her shoulders in a small stretch. she tipped her muzzle back and howled for her brother and sister to come, her voice joyful and lilting. she would always mourn for the pup that was lost, but their family had increased by two. . .and there was still more to come.
Common · Inuttut
~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
The brute had been brooding for days, well weeks actually. He still wasn’t happy but he had realized that he had been wrong to be so angry at his sister. He shouldn’t have lashed it but his worry had morphed into anger. He was upset that his sisters life wasn’t turning out the way they had all assumed it would. But then again none of their lives was. 

When he heard the joyous call of Tahani, Sia stopped his action and ran toward his sisters whelping den. Sprinting through the woods, and under brush to get there as fast as he could. The more he thought of it the more he grew to liking the idea of little ones. Even if they weren’t conceived in the traditional way. 

“Tahani!” The ice bear called as he arrived, his lumbering form crashing through the surround branches. He wouldn’t attempt to pass his sister, he had never been allowed in a whelping den and knew it wasn’t his place especially after the things he had said. He let his concern flood through his voice, “Tahani. What’s happened? Is everything ok? Where is Shivali?” His words rambled on, and he lost his normal collected composure. 

sorry crappy phone post
Inuttuk, Common

[Image: nsUn6t6.png?1]
{1/5} | {2/10}

948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Takiyok had too much on her mind these days to sleep much and had already been awake for a while when she heard Tahani's call. Excitement shot through her at the sound. She knew Shivali had been close to her due date and wondered if this was why she was being summoned.

She took off towards the whelping den, feeling like her feet couldn't move fast enough. She soon reached her destination and found Sia already there in conversation it with their sister. She skidded to a stop next to Sia. "How's Shivali? Is she having the babies?" She quickly spouted the words at Tahani, barely able to contain her excitement.
Inuttuk
Common

167 Posts
Ooc — mercury
permission granted to skip Shivali

her brother arrived first, loud as a herd of musk oxen, followed soon by Takiyok. they both hurled words at her, and Tahani shushed them, eyes flashing toward the den. it did no good to cause commotion around a new mother and her first litter; things had already not gone one hundred percent right, and she didn't want any changes in the atmosphere to spoil things further.

"yes, she's having the babies," Tahani explained quietly, nodding at Takiyok. her eyes moved to Sia's face. "she is fine. two pups so far, both boys, nursing well. it's not over yet, i believe." her thoughts turned to the dead pup, something she didn't--and would not--have to share with the others. that pup would be only remembered by Shivali and Tahani, and any others that Shivali chose to tell.

she settled down on her haunches, knowing Shivali would call for her if any other problems occurred. if for some reason she became incapacitated, Tahani had good enough hearing to ascertain if things within the den went awry.

she firmed her lips, looking at her siblings. "now we wait," Tahani whispered.
Common · Inuttut
~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
His worry doubled at the news, he knew things could go wrong. He himself had ever experience such things as only their mother had ever given birth in the previous home. Sia still remembered the worry of the midwives during Tak’s litter only two years ago. 

Sia nodded to Tahani, and expected her to return to their sisters side. He turned his back to the entrance of the den and plopped himself down. Sitting and waiting for any to dare approach. He wouldn’t let any pass without Shivali’s permission. No one.

He looked to Takiyok with a small smile, tilting his head to indicate she could take residence beside him. He had a feeling Shivali wouldn’t let him anywhere near the small creatures that were now pet of his family. His to protect. But her would stay here, at the entrance of her den, also there to watch over her. As he had been since they were born.
Inuttuk, Common

{1/5} | {2/10}

948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
At her sister's shush, Takiyok's ears went back, and she dipped her head apologetically. This was completely new territory for her, and she didn't want to cause Shivali any distress.

She hoped soon she would get to see the new pups and see with her own eyes that her older sister was okay.

For now, they would all just have to wait. At her brother's invitation, she walked over and sat beside him, giving him an affectionate shoulder bump once she was seated. She hadn't even met the babies yet, but already she felt a fierce protectiveness for them. She knew she would do everything in her power to ensure no harm ever came to them.
Inuttuk
Common

167 Posts
Ooc — mercury
after a while of waiting, Tahani couldn't stand it any longer. she cast an affectionate glance toward Siarut and Takiyok, guarding the den so well, then slipped around them, poking her head in to look at Shivali. the two pups still appeared to be nursing well, and by all appearances they were happy and healthy.

"can i do anything for you, Shiv?" she asked gently, tail waving behind her. "water? more raspberry leaves?" whatever it was, she could have one of the two outside fetch it while she stayed near Shivali.

something was off--she'd felt it throughout the day, but it hit her in that moment. the father was absent. Kove, the man who'd welcomed them into the forest, the man who'd sired these pups--she hadn't seen his face around today. course, Shivali hadn't called for him. . .but Tahani thought he should be here eventually, regardless.

"do you want me to call for Kove?" she queried delicately, unsure of her sister's response.
Common · Inuttut
·    ⋆     ˚ ˚    ✦
240 Posts
Ooc —
When she’s given a little while by herself, she takes the time to adjust to her new life. Whether there’s more to come, the next few months the are dedicated solely to them. She’ll see them learn to see and hear and play. They have aunts and uncles to keep them all safe and teach them everything they need to do. After discovering herself pregnant, she hadn’t expected all this. Her siblings hadn’t been here. If she hadn’t gone out looking for Maegi, they may not have even found her and she’d be doing this alone and that’s a scary thought she doesn’t want to entertain.

A commotion stirs outside and her ears cup forward, trying to listen to the muffled voices. Somehow, it surprises her Siarut is there with how they’d been with one another. He’d stuck around closer the rest of her pregnancy despite her angry words not to but he’s never been one to turn back on family without good reason. But he defended Tomkin and his mistakes only to turn around and berate her for hers. Maybe, one day, he won’t feel the same but he deserves to be with his family just as the others.

Gently, she kisses the puppies’ crown. Their gusto for feeding has slowed, getting their fill and growing tired. She wishes she could close her eyes and sleep but her body reminds her she is not done and there is no time. In her sister’s brief absence, another contraction takes over and she whines quietly to herself. It hurts more than the rest but it’s short lived and passes without the need to push.

Tahani slips back into the den and she releases a breath she hadn’t known she’d been holding. To her question, she nods, but she doesn’t have time to answer for what she needs when a grimace paints across her face. Anything about Kove goes ignored for the time being. She’s so tired, certain she can’t bear another wave. Whether or not Tahani gets her anything, she can’t stop another contraction and her efforts are draining the last bit of energy she has left. It turns out not enough and the puppy is stuck in her canal, nearly halfway out. Any effort to push does little and panic swells in her chest. Their mother had complications, once, and while she came out on the other side fine, Shivali can’t stop the feeling something’s wrong. She’d wasted so much energy on a non-viable child that her possibly third surviving puppy isn’t going to make it.

Shivali tried to prop herself up to investigate, attempting not to squish the children though one paw hits Aningan, causing a squeal and she lays back down with a labored breath and torn between consoling her first born and going back to the task at hand, glancing up pleadingly for Tahani.
Nothern 
Common
0/3 threads
53 Posts
Ooc — Bo
In the great stirring of all things that required a great act – whether it be an act of kindness or of great strength in spirit – there was a moment that required a choice to be made. For Shivali, it was to endure the pains of labor until her children were safely born, and to clean their tiny bodies so that they might breathe their first gasp of air. For Sos, it was taking that breath. His body was small and frail, easily harmed in its current state, but he was not destined for such a life. He was a bear, and he had been born to rule as one. A young man and a fierce reckoning to the world he had entered.

When he had at last broken through the final push of his mother’s body and entered the world, Sos was still encased in a protective wrap, housing in all of the good and preventing much of the bad things from reaching him. In a few gentle licks of Shivali’s tongue, the young bear cub was cleansed of that protective shell and the first chilling touch of air washed over him like a new wave. He was quiet for a long while, not certain what had happened, and instinct had yet to tell him that he needed to move toward his mother’s body for heat and to feed. His tiny feet merely shook and tremored with the uncertainty of the great unknown that had gripped him and granted him life.

A final draw of his mother’s tongue along his back, and he released his silent hold in a single cry. Throwing his head back, the bear called loudly and shrilly into the den. His limbs began to kick, and he was scooted toward the warmth of Shivali’s stomach, where he began to search wildly for a promise of food and survival. When his mouth had finally latched hold of the swollen teat, Sos found himself calmed by the mere act of sustaining himself. He drank and drank until his belly could hold no more. His brother was close, and his mother still jerked about with the fight in her spirit, urging – perhaps – another sibling to arrive.

Sos buried his nose deep into the fur of her stomach and his eyes became heavy. Sleep carried him away to a far-off land, where only dreams would inspire him to such great acts. His fragile little form was safely tucked against the warmth of a supportive parent, nestled gently beside his blood and bonds.
167 Posts
Ooc — mercury
permission from Shivali to go now

she didn't answer, gripped by contractions--but the look that bloomed on her face at mention of Kove was clear. she would not send for him. instead, she would stay here. . .and a good thing, too, for Shivali soon began to struggle. sucking in a careful breath, Tahani licked the top of Aningan's head in a soothing manner before turning back to her sister, trying to assess what's wrong.

Shivali was tiring; how could she not? labor was a frightfully tiring process, and she'd never done it before. even the strongest of wolves found it a daunting task. there was still life to be born, and Tahani circled around, placing one paw against her sister's womb, the other bracing her against the ground.

"i know you're tired, Shivali," Tahani murmured, looking over at her sister, eyes heavy-lidded as the den filled with the heady smells of birth. "i will help you, try to massage your womb so the pup can come. but you need to push as much as you can. it's almost over."

with gentle, sure strokes, she began to knead her paw against Shivali's abdomen, knowing that the last of the placenta still was there. if she could encourage the afterbirth out, the pup would come shortly before. she was so close. . .all she needed was a couple more good pushes, and the job would be done.
Common · Inuttut
~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
Siarut's keen ears could hear the commotion inside, and the soft cries of his neices and nephews. It brought a smile to his face, as Tahani returned to their sisters side. He stayed where he was, refusing to move. He wasn't sure where Kove was, and thought it wrong for a father to miss the birth of his children, but on the other paw Sia was glad the man wasn't here. This was a family moment, and he still wasn't sure how he felt of Kove after his treatment of his sister. 

Siarut wasn't sure how much longer the birth would take, but decided to make himself comfortable. Leaning heavily against their younger sister, Siarut head butted her cheek as he lied down. He was excited, but tried to hide it.
Inuttuk, Common

{1/5} | {2/10}

948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Taki had tried to make out the words she heard coming from the den, but was unable to. She wished she could go inside but understood why she couldn't. 

Sia leaned on her and she leaned back on him, happy for the comfort of family. She was once again glad she had made the decision to leave home, grateful to be here to witness the arrival of their newest family members and to be able to watch them grow. There was no doubt these pups would be surrounded by love. Sia moved to lie down, offering her affection on his way down. She soon followed, lying down beside him, resting her head on her paws, and letting out a long sigh.
Inuttuk
Common

·    ⋆     ˚ ˚    ✦
240 Posts
Ooc —
She doesn’t want to push anymore. She can’t. There’s nothing left to push. Maybe she can tear the child away from her, or Tahani can do it, but the thought sends a shudder down her spine. Her eyes tiredly trail upward as her sister offers to massage her belly, hoping to stimulate what is left. If there is another child, she can’t bear to think she can do this another time.

Shivali grits her teeth and tries again, shifting and abruptly shaking both her sons. Their pale forms are discarded in that moment as she moves between her legs and tugs the same time she pushes. The sac tears too soon and dark eyes widen, uncertain what to do but she’s driving form and with one final push, the gentle cradle of her teeth, her last born child is free. Quickly Shivali sets to working, cleaning the rest of the birthing mucous from her daughter and setting her near to her siblings once she realigns them all, pushing her closest to her breast to keep an eye on the youngest born. Noo matter how much she cleans her, she is much darker than her other siblings, curious to see against the stark white of their birth.
Nothern 
Common
0/3 threads
tell me what the rain knows
58 Posts
Ooc —
There was no dreaming—she was the first of her name. No wisdom from past lives, no old love that swelled within her chest—there was only becoming. There was a world within Shivali that Tunerk was a citizen of. She was not alone in this place, and all had always been well, until their Apocalypse came. And so, she died, only to come alive again once she hit the earth. Any discomfort she had endured was forgotten as her mother brought her to her breast, and Tunerk abided by instinct alone as a teat pressed against her mouth and provided her with what she needed without any prompting. She was settled alongside two things that she did not recognize she had always known, and was warm and happy as she noisily suckled away until she could do so no more. She slept, then, mute and at peace.
167 Posts
Ooc — mercury
three. three healthy babes for her sister. her heart pounded with joy as the contractions finally came to an end, Shivali settling back to nurse all of her children. two pale as the north, one a curious brown, in stark contrast to the rest of the wolves in the den. she nuzzled her sister's cheek, covering her face in gentle kisses.

"i'm so proud of you," Tahani whispered, pulling back, her eyes glowing with pride. "let me go tell the others the good news." like a ghost, she slipped from the den, pulling up to Siarut and Takiyok with an irresistable grin painted over her face.

"three pups. two boys and a girl," she announced, giving her siblings a more than adequate amount of hugs and kisses, tail wagging madly. "she did it. she did just fine. and now our family is three bigger." she cuddled up to Siarut, letting out a happy sigh.
Common · Inuttut
·    ⋆     ˚ ˚    ✦
240 Posts
Ooc —
My last post!

It is over, she thinks—hopes—and after a moment she feels nothing else. Lingering tenderness, restlessness, exhaustion keep her torn between staying awake and sleeping. A sigh escapes her lips, ears twitching upon her head as she listens to the children nursing. As Tahani steps up, nuzzling and giving her gentle kisses, the new mother closes her eyes and leans into the affection. A rumble forms in her chest but she only releases it as a low, pleased rumble. When the woman steps back and disappears out of the den, Shivali lowers her head and curls up around her little family, somehow feeling lonelier than she has before.
Nothern 
Common
0/3 threads
~ nanuk ~
592 Posts
Ooc — Keg
Looking over his shoulder at the sound of someone exiting the den, he was overwhelmed to see the beautiful smile of his sister as she came to tell them news. Tahani's grin brought out his own, dispite his previous anger, and was overjoyed to hear what had transpired within the small whelping den. Turning to greet her his ears pulled forward to catch and whishpered breath. 

Two boys and a girl. He whined in excitment and leaned heavily on Tahani as she curled against him. His tail thudding against dirt. "That is great news. How is Shiv? Is she ok?" He couldn't believe that their family had grown by two. The next generation of their family had entered the world, and he couldn't wait to meet them, to teach them. His heart thudded in his chest.
Inuttuk, Common

{1/5} | {2/10}

948 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Taki stood at the excited approach of her other sister, wagging her tail and smiling. Two nephews and a niece. Taki couldn't believe how much she already loved the pups. She couldn't wait to watch them grow and teach them everything about being strong, self-sufficient wolves. She wished Tomkin could have been here to share this moment with them. It dampened the otherwise joyful event, at least for her. 

Putting that thought aside for now, she returned to her place next to Sia when Tahani joined him at his other side, letting out a happy sigh of her own, proud of her sister for bringing new life into the world.
Inuttuk
Common