Heron Lake Plateau if you told me you were drowning, i would not lend a hand
a determination so powerful it could turn the sky storm black
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena
All Welcome 

While Ceara had been relatively useless at gathering and identifying the herbs, her garden had really taken off.  The yarrow was coming in beautifully, and it seemed as if spiders had taken up residence in the bushes nearby.  It had been difficult convincing them to move in (ew ew ew ew, ew, moving spiders) but hey!  It worked.

She bent over the growing plants to look them over, unperturbed by the sun.  It seemed like the plants liked it, and with the light drizzles of rain they'd been getting, they did not need to be watered.

Ghost
I still don't get it right sometimes · I just don't get it as wrong
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
After getting some of the lowdown from Niamh (or at least a sense that shit was going down with Screech, idk), Colt felt the need to check in with his younger sis.  He wasn't the sort of older brother who was super into what his sibs were doing 24/7, but if he felt like one was in trouble, he'd be there, always. Which was maybe ok... he sucked in general at feels, but he'd try. 

"Hey, sis," he greeted as he found her diggin in the dirt, and he looked with interest at her task. "Umm... nice.... dirt patch?"  He had no fuckin clue what a garden was.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

Colt!  She'd been so caught up in her own drama that she hadn't had a minute to check up on him.  He seemed pretty cool from what she could tell, but he had also been in the pack longer than her.  It worried her that maybe he was close with Niamh so it was possible she had been subconsciously avoiding him.

Huh.  That was a thought.  It's a garden, she corrected in jest, before she burst out into a grin, a chuckle.  So, I took the seeds from the plants Raven uses to fix us all up and planted them here so they would grow in a convenient and predicable location.  I also relocated some spiders so she could have cobwebs, so uh, watch those bushes back there.

Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Well, thank fuck, she seemed in better spirits than Niamh, who Colt had found teetering on the edge of some sort of fucking existential breakdown. He hadn't been sure what was up with Screech, or how close Ceara was to it, but he was grateful she seemed relatively normal (from what he'd seen to this point).

"Huh.  Yknow, I knew she used this sorta shit, but I guess I never stopped to think how she got it."  It was smart, making a place where you could come for a reliable source.  He peered at a spider, matching her grin.  "How'd you come up with this one?"  Family of geniuses, for sure!
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

She shrugged.  Well, it all grows in the ground, doesn't it?  I figured that maybe if I relocated it all, that it would work.  First I tried re-planting it, but, they don't really grow too well after they've been yanked out of the ground.  

It did kind of inflate her ego, though.  If you know anything else she uses, maybe I can surprise her with it.  But if he was as terrible at plant identification as she was, they'd end up with a whole field of useless daisies.  Or worse.

Hey, did you know that Tegan's running around and saying he's the best, most handsome Blackthorn?  Just figured I'd give you a heads up, you know.  She gave him a playful wink as she continued to work new earth for more plants.

Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
He snorted when she asked what else Raven might use, and gave a small poke at one of the plants.  "I couldn't tell ya what any of these are, let alone what she uses.  It's all green and leafy."  He had never been much for healing - if he had, maybe he wouldn't have lost Nell.  But some had the skill and some didn't, and that regret didn't quite reach to now.

"Good for him, takin my advice."  Colt laughed affectionately, then shrugged.  "He can believe it at least, though we know he's got a ways to go.  He asked me for advice on how to 'get some broads'.  Kid's definitely family."
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

For the most part, he was right.  Now that she knew what yarrow was she could easily identify it, but everything else?  Green, leafy, sometimes flowery.  Maybe with some more dutiful study, she'd be able to figure out what the hell everything was.

She snorted and balked at Colt's response.  So it was him that had started Tegan's.... broad-hunting?  Oh my god, this was hilarious.  Yeah, he is.  He reminds me a lot of you'n me.  He came up to me, didn't know we were related, and clued me in once I told him that I thought I was the hottest Blackthorn.

Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Colt chuckled at her revelation of what kicked off the conversation.  "It's like sayin your the greenest leaf on that plant in my opinion.  Face it; we're a family to be chased."  There was a shit eating grin on his face when he said it, but he did believe every word.  They were all choice picks - it ran in the genes.

"He doesn't need much help, but figured I could spare some advice to help jump start it."  That conversation had been a winner, it was nice to have someone asking his advice.  "What about you? Any interests?" He was curious, but he asked in a tone that showed more teasing than anything else.  He wasn't about to stick his nose in it unless she wanted it there.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

If they were a family to be chased, then why did it seem like every time she came close to getting what she wanted, everything seemed to crumble instead?  Maybe he just meant everyone but her.  Suppose so, she supplied with a roll of her shoulders.

His playful interrogation left her flushed and mostly speechless.  Not anymore, she offered a little too fast, thinking of Niamh and Screech.  I don't know, I'm not as.. I don't attract anything.  Maybe I should go out and flirt with some loners that I'll never have to see again, that way I can learn what the hell I'm doing.

Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
"Yes! Do that."  He emphatically approved.  It was his own main strategy for a lot of years, and it had served him well.  "You give him a challenge and bet like hell he'll chase.  I'm sure you got the attitude."  He shoved her a bit with brotherly affection, but honestly.  She was his sister... anyone would have to be crazy not to go after that.  Only question was, would they be good enough?

"You ever need backup, let me know."  He'd wingman any time, though he figured he'd be more help with the 'never see them again' part.  Anyway, offer open.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

Hah.  Sure thing, dude.  Same goes for you, though she wansn't sure how well she'd work as a wing-girl.  Maybe he'd have to teach her a thing or two first.  She looked at the sky and then back at her garden, then groaned.  Well, uh, back to work I guess.

Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
we can wrap! Or go for a few posts ;) have her try to show a thing or two

He appreciated the offer, though he doubted he would take her up on it.  He was pretty content here for now, and seeking out lone encounters had lost some of its shine.  

"Need some help?" He asked, also looking at the turned earth and growing plants. "You might have to show, but I got a bit of time."  He didn't know the first thing about how and why plants grew, but it couldn't be that hard right? I mean... they grew whether you wanted them to or not.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

turns out i don't know shit about gardening

Uh, yeah, actually that'd be really helpful.  She breathed out a sigh of relief, then looked down at the rows she was making.  So, right now I'm just digging up and preparing the earth so I can plant things.  If you're any good at digging, just try to make them .. this deep.  Just longer.

Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
Oh just digging? Shit that was easy.  "Can do." He said, settling in on his haunches and beginning to dig out a trench like she'd indicated.  It was for the most part straight... maybe it would veer a bit but beggars can't be choosers and it hardly mattered anyway.

"Whatre you plannin on planting here?" He asked, flicking some dirt playfully in her direction as he did so. "Guessin nothin too big.". Trees and such took forever to grow right? Least he'd never seen one grow any.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

The dirt hits her in the face while she's breathing in, and she has some kind of spastic sneezing fit.  She wipes the snot from her nose as she gives him the most deadly glare, before she cracks into a huge grin she can't contain.  You asshole.

Mostly just medicinal plants for Raven.  Some of them sprout up pretty quick, I think?  But no, none of them are too big.  I haven't quite come up with a way to do that yet.. and I don't think she uses much of the big stuff anyway.

She flicks some dirt back at him as she talks, hoping to catch him in the face with a big clod.

ring the bells that still can ring
forget your perfect offering
there is a crack in everything
that's how the light gets in
Ghost
692 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Mediator
"And proud," he retorted, blinking as the dirt she flung did spatter across his nose.  He spit some out and snickered, but didn't retaliate.  He didn't want to completely tear up her garden in the process.

"I wouldn't know, but I guess the big stuff would be harder to move too."  Colt wasn't quite forward thinking enough to know how seeds functioned.

he continued to attempt helping, and may have a bit by the time they were done.  In any event, he was dirty and sore, but they had a good time.