Grouse Thicket said something dumb like "i'm tired of running"
26 Posts
Ooc —
Private 

He didn't like this place one bit. It was too cramped and crowded, any low hanging branches and tree bark tugged on his thick coat if he got too close. There had to be somewhere better to be. In fact he knew there was somewhere better to be because literally anywhere would be better. He just didn't know how to get out of this place. It felt like he had been walking in circles for hours and maybe he had been.

It was with a loud huff that he managed to find himself in a small clearing. Stubbornly he collapsed to the ground in self-protest. He needed a new plan. All of this pointless wandering was exhausting him.
a determination so powerful it could turn the sky storm black
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

She had returned to the Thicket after Screech's departure.  There was something about the apples that just kind of made her sad now, but she couldn't stay away from the shady grove.  She'd been wandering in relative silence when a loud huff caught her attention.

Her ears swiveled atop her head as she trudged towards the noise.  Halfheartedly she hoped it was Screech, and the other half of her hoped with an impending sense of dread that it wasn't.

It wasn't.  Are you alright? she called as the collapsed figure came into view, brow furrowed nervously.

26 Posts
Ooc —
His small protest didn't last long as the voice caused him to stand again. He was almost taken back by the sight of such a fiery figure. Moose was pretty positive he might have been hallucinating but he was lonely enough to accept the company of just about anything.

Uh, sorta? I mean, I'm like really damn lost but not dying or anything. A weak laugh followed his words and he awkwardly cut it off as he gazed around the place. Where had she come from anyway? Moose had been pretty positive he had been alone but obviously, he wasn't. Not anymore.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

She blinked at his response.  He sounded like Colt, and for whatever reason that put her at ease.  Slowly she drifted closer, still at attention in case this was some kind of... well, you know what, she didn't know, but after everything that had happened she was really on edge.

Where are you looking to go?  She was from around here and she could give him a hand, if he chose.  Or do you wanna.. rest for a while?

26 Posts
Ooc —
He didn't know if she was actually going to be helpful but he had to put faith in the stranger unless he wanted to wither away in this place. I wanna get out of here. He admitted despite the fact that rest sounded really good. I'm not really sure where I'm going but anything would be better than staying here, you know? Moose wasn't sure who would even want to stay in a place like this.

Oh, uh, I'm Moose by the way. It only felt right that he gave an introduction to the stranger who was about to (hopefully) help him.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

She did not really care for what he thought about the thicket.  Ceara loved the thicket!  But she supposed not everyone would.  Siarut hated her apples.  Screech had loved them.

Pang.  She felt it in her chest again.  How could she have been so stupid as to trust him?  Ahh.. Well, that'a'way, she said as she spun and pointed, is a bignasty swamp.  That way is a big muddy slough.  If you go further South, there's a ton of wetlands and forests.  And to your West there's a cool little shady island.  I live Southwest, on a plateau.

26 Posts
Ooc —
He tried to keep up with her directions, eyes following as she pointed the directions. By the end of it all, he realized that maybe not anywhere else was better than here. A island and a plateau sound like the best decisions. A small chuckle escaped him. Although I take it that if you live on the plateau it might not be free for visitors? Moose raised a brow slightly. She smelled enough like others for him to guess she was apart of a pack.

Maybe the island will be more forgiving than here. He mused out loud as he settled down onto his rear.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

After what had transpired the previous night, his question only wrought a wry smile.  No, I don't think visiting would be a good option.  Pups are due soon, was the reason she gave.  We will pass by on our way to the island.  She turned, tail flicked behind her as she studied his weird, high contrast colour and the vantablack of his gaze.

Ready?

26 Posts
Ooc —
A cheeky grin crossed his features. Moose had no interest in stirring up trouble with protective families and surely snappish mothers. So he'd take the stranger's warning in stride.

His head gave a short nod. Ready. He stood back up again showing he was keen to follow. His tail even gave a few eager sways. It was about time he found a way out of here. Even if the lands beyond here didn't sound all that promising. Hopefully the island would be his savior.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

She returned his nod and began to work her way through the thicket, past the hardwoods.  She stopped to brush herself against the apple trees before she headed through the grove unless the stranger requested to investigate.

What brings you out here, anyway?  Not many come all the way over.

26 Posts
Ooc —
Her question caused a hum to stir from him. Well, I'm just exploring really. Seeing what the world has to offer. Hence the whole getting lost thing. He laughed at himself. The whole situation sounded silly really. He had no need to be out here exploring. Moose very well could have stayed home and lived a happy life. Alas, he got hit with curiosity.

If not many come this way then what are you doing here? He spoke with genuine curiosity. Moose didn't mean to be nosy or rude.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

Family, she replied honestly.  My brother ran off from our home pack and I had to come lookin' for him.  Turns out there's a whole bunch of us here, and we ended up finding each other.  So I never really left.  She gave a good-natured shrug, the tip of her tail flicking.  The pack's not too bad.  I like it here.

But she did wonder what exploring was like.  That's why she always asked to be part of scouting trips — to her, they were like mini vacations!  Except, well.. Ironsea hadn't been too nice.

26 Posts
Ooc —
Huh. He said softly, genuinely interested in the way things had worked for the stranger. Moose supposed she was rather lucky to have just run into a bunch of her family. Glad things turned out so positive for you. The words were spoken with a soft grin. The wolfdog knew he wouldn't be that lucky but there was no harm in hoping he could find something just as nice.

Figure if everyone's as kind as you, it would be a good place to be. The words were spoken before he paused to give a quick scratch as an ear, trotting a bit faster to keep up.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

She gave a thoughtful nod.  Yeah, I guess it could've gone a lot worse.  But.. I don't know.  I don't seem to have that kind of luck.  She'd never really run into anyone truly evil.  She didn't even think Screech was truly evil.  If you wanna give it a shot, as long as you can contribute they're pretty welcoming.  But it also could be because I was family.  His comment lifted her spirits, if only marginally, and she walked with a renewed spring in her step.

26 Posts
Ooc —
He considered her words with a soft hum. Guess it couldn't hurt to give it a go, huh? I mean I'm not family or anything but I can contribute. An amused chuckle escaped him. He had half a brain to (jokingly) ask her to vouch for him — call him a distant cousin or something — but the joke didn't seem the best so he kept it to himself.

How far is it from here? Moose asked softly as he bumped against a tree or two as they walked along.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

Funny enough, Moose might have fit right in.  Weird animal nickname, dark black fur on his back... and with as many as there were in the Blackthorn clan, it probably wouldn't have been questioned too hard.

Oh well.  Well, what can you contribute?  I wasn't asked any questions, but I think you might be.  My brother was kind of interrogated.  She shrugged.  Nothing too hard.  Just like, how you make yourself useful.  Same old same old pack spiel.

She changed her course slightly.  The thicket runs straight next to the side of the Plateau.  It's where I was recruited.  Once we exit the trees up here, we should be able to see it.

26 Posts
Ooc —
I like to hunt and I'm sure there's plenty of mouths to feed if you have pups coming soon. It's not like a skill like hunting ever goes out of fashion. He spoke with a small smile punctuating his words. Also not sure if it really counts as contributing but I'm pretty good at remembering things. Could be helpful down the road. Moose offered a loose shrug of his shoulders.

His tail swayed behind him as he caught up to her side, feeling energized by the prospect of there being an exit sooner rather than later.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

Hahahahhaah she hoped that would be enough after Screech had decided to be Screech and Screech everything all up.  You're right.  Hunting is always a fair skill.  I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to catch something with me and bring it back, though.  Just for posterity's sake.

I'm Ceara, by the way.

26 Posts
Ooc —
His head nodded firmly. Right. What's usually around here that won't cost me a limb to take down? Moose doubted that he could take down anything large like his namesake. Perhaps he could find a plumb rabbit or even some sort of thick game bird. He contemplated the options while waiting for his fiery company to answer.

Pleasure to meet you, Ceara. He spoke honestly because without her he'd likely be melting into the ground back there.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

She shrugged.  There is a ton of waterfowl.  Ducks, geese, you name it.  Here in the forests there's plenty of rabbits this time of year.  She paused a beat, considering their options.  With the pair of us, it might be easier to take down some bigger game, like, I dunno, beavers and stuff.

She snorted, smirking at his response.  And it's a pleasure to meet you, Moose.  Family name?

26 Posts
Ooc —
His tail swished behind him at the options he was presented. Beaver sounds nice. It would be a big enough gift to show he was willing to put in work along with the fact that if he caught it with her, it would prove he didn't mind teamwork. This was going to be perfect.

He chuckled at her question, brown eyes filling with humor. Nah. Dad used to joke that my mom saw a moose close to when I was born and they didn't have any names in mind, so that's what they called me. His shoulders shrugged slightly. Moose wasn't actually sure just how true that story was but it had always made him laugh.
683 Posts
Ooc — Athena

Aw, at least that's cute.  She snorted a laugh and looked at him over her shoulder, My parents decided to call me Fire.  And I bet you're just totally lost as to why they would come up with such a name, right?  She rolled her eyes and let out a vaguely frustrated groan.  The Blackthorns are not a very creative bunch.  Gotta love 'em.

The pair continued this banter on the way out of the Thicket, and set out to hunt down a beaver.