Totoka River fell asleep with death and fell short of breath
between the devil and the deep blue sea
46 Posts
Ooc — Somniari
Private 
She was exhausted when she found the river— but, more importantly, she was dirty. Lainie was a mess of dirt and mats and dried, caked blood from numerous little wounds she had acquired here and there; she wasn't the most graceful girl around, but, whatever. The meal with the grey male had revived her a bit— enough to hunt a bit for herself, mostly small things like mice. With her head a bit clearer, the state she was in was beginning to drive her crazy.
She plopped herself into the river unceremoniously, cleaning herself almost frantically in the running water. As soon as the cool water pierced her dense coat and touched her skin, she sighed and relaxed slightly. That felt better. It was some time before she actually pulled herself out, noting with some distaste the way her sodden state brought out her unnatural thinness; her ribs were far more prominent than they should have been, waist too narrow. If she lost her good looks, too, she thought a little hysterically, she might just die then and there.
Lurker
273 Posts
Ooc —
He didn't leave the island much these days. He had no need to. Granted he figured that the river here might offer more fishing opportunities or even just a social situation. His compact frame moved with ease as his silver gaze scanned the area. Rokig likely would have given up had there not been a form on the horizon. They looked thin. Not the typical lean like the females he associated with on the island. This was a look that made him think illness or underfed.

A soft frown cut his features and he let out a gentle bark. The dull colored male would move closer until he was about a yard away, where he would halt any further movements. He waited to speak - more interested in if she'd even allow his presence.
46 Posts
Ooc — Somniari
And then, suddenly, a stranger! Lainie glanced up, startled by the bark; a grey wolf, expression written with concern. She was immediately interested— he looked so alike her, but for the ears! Grey, with grey eyes. Like, her dude doppelganger or something.
You're very grey, She informed him, in case he hadn't already been aware. Then, she grinned. Not as grey as me, though. It felt nice to win at something, at least. For a moment. Shit, was she delirious? No, no, definitely not— she had eaten recently, however little; nevermind the months of starvation before that. Lainie blinked, suddenly looking as if she was very, very lost. Sorry— I feel weird...
Lurker
273 Posts
Ooc —
Huh?

Her words struck him as odd. He...guessed he was very grey? There was a bit of tan on the back of his ears and the bridge of his muzzle, though. Which he supposed explained her second sentence. Concern swept over his features at her apology. Why don't you just relax, lay down or something. He looked around as if someone more experience in this kind of situation might appear. You should probably try to have some water too.

Tentatively he moved closer, mindful of how she might react, silver gaze still examining her. Maybe there was some kind of physical illness he could see. Other than the obvious fact she was underweight. Before he could stop himself a question tumbled forth. When was the last time you ate?
46 Posts
Ooc — Somniari
She frowned when he suggested laying down, and had half a mind to tell him he wasn't her dad and to shove it. It did seem like a good idea, though— so instead, she laid down, watching his concern with some interest. It was... weird, to her. Even Alarian had not cared when she had disappeared; her own blood. Nevermind the strangers she had met since then, barring the other grey dude she encountered. Maybe grey wolves were just cool or something.
Still. Why do you care? Lainie blurted several beats after he asked his question; maybe a little defensively. No one else does— not even my own family. Did you miss the memo everyone got saying I'm a waste of time or something? She paused and breathed in, feeling guilty for questioning him now. A little more softly, she added: I'm not complaining. I... appreciate it.
Another pause— then, she figured she should actually answer his question. I don't know— yesterday, or the day before? I got lucky. I'm not good at hunting— I mean, I don't really... know how. And I've been alone. Her voice broke slightly with the last word, and she glanced away from the male. The last thing she wanted him to see was some kind of weird mood swing shit.
Lurker
273 Posts
Ooc —
For someone who seemed like they were almost dead they sure did have a lot of sass. He let her get it all out, though. The only sign of his frustration was a small frown. It seemed she eventually came around.

I care because I can and frankly, I've been in the same situation. He explained in a gentle voice making it obvious he didn't hold her small outburst against her. Rokig could understand the stubbornness of one in this situation. If it hadn't been for the two kind canines of Undersea he had met so closely, he'd likely look a lot like this stranger. It seemed the world was giving him a way to repay the kindness he had been shown. Perhaps the curse wasn't as real as he thought it had been.

Think you can stomach fish? He asked softly as he began to wade into the water. He had fished with Undersea's Aralez here before. The Tuttava knew there were filling fish in these waters that could serve well during a time like now.
46 Posts
Ooc — Somniari
The stranger met her with softness— it was unexpected, foreign. Lainie couldn't help a soft snort of amusement at his explanation, though. Because I can was certainly a good enough reason for her. Then— then, he said the Magic Words. Kind of. She had never actually tried fish, but the offer of any food was music to her ears right now.
Yes, anything— please, She did remember her manners, though she was overall a little emotional at the thought of food. This guy was so nice! He was going to get her food. Lainie decided she'd watch closely, too— maybe she could pick something up. There would not always be nice strangers around to feed her, she thought.
Lurker
273 Posts
Ooc —
success determined by dice roll (click)

He smiled at her eagerness for a meal although it would likely be missed with his back to her as he stood in the water. Rokig knew there would be something in here. Exactly what he couldn't tell. It was when the familiar form of a fish flowed under the water in front of him that he knew it was time.

His jaws parted and he dove his head into the water. Teeth met the familiar scaly flesh of the aquatic prey. Damn, he really was getting better at this. As he yanked his head back up it flailed about between his jaws. His grasp only tightened around the prey for he knew this part would end soon. It always did.

Once the wild thrashing was over with, he turned around and set the fresh catch in front of the female. Eat. He ushered softly as he turned back to face the water. There would be more he needed to catch for both himself and the wolves of Undersea.
46 Posts
Ooc — Somniari
belatedly notices it's raining
She watched his movements carefully, trying to commit them to memory— in her state, it likely wouldn't stick, but she had to try. All she could think about was the fish, though, and how grateful she was to the stranger. It occurred to her that she didn't even know his name; she'd have to fix that. For now, she didn't want to break his concentration.
Lainie watched quietly as he plucked a fish from the water, feeling her mouth water slightly. When he set it in front of her, it took all of her willpower to not immediately rip into the thing. Thank you, She couldn't remember ever meaning those words more than she did now. After a beat of hesitation, she bit into the fish; it had a strange, pungent flavor. It was... good. Lainie ate slowly, watching the male turn back to his fishing. After several moments, it started it rain lightly.
Lurker
273 Posts
Ooc —
He had reached down in an attempt to catch another but came up empty this time. His muzzle was drenched as droplets fell off his face. Perhaps it was her gratitude that had distracted him or maybe it was just bad aim. His head turned over his shoulder and he offered her a small smile.

The sky suddenly seemed to bring down more water. At least it wasn't a heavy storm. His features crinkled slightly before smoothing out again. It was a good thing he lived in a place surrounded by water — nobody would question him coming back drenched. Especially if he managed to bring something back to show for it.

Have you ever fished before? He asked quietly as he stayed in the water, waiting for another opportunity to snag a fish.
46 Posts
Ooc — Somniari
Lainie didn't really mind the rain; she had already been wet, anyway. It was suddenly cold, though— weakened as she was, her body did not provide as much heat for itself as it had before. She shivered fiercely even though the change in temperature was slight. It hindered her eating slightly, but she was fairly determined.
No, She admitted in response to the male's question. I've never even tried fish before this. And, since he was talking anyway— What's your name? Lainie bent her head to take another small bite of the fish, wondering if she'd even know him long enough for it to matter. If he wanted to feed her again, she certainly wouldn't protest.
Lurker
273 Posts
Ooc —
There were a few more fish who swam past his legs and Rokig gave a valiant snap at them. There was nothing but water between his teeth. He lifted his head, parted his jaws to let the water escape and fall back down into the river. A huff escaped him. It seemed he might be returning with nothing to show. At least he had managed to get a fish for the stranger.

He turned around and moved back onto the land. There was no use in shaking out his coat if it was only going to continue to storm. Rokig. He introduced himself plainly as usual. Silver eyes glanced to make sure she was truly eating the fish and that she was managing to hold it down.

I take it you don't have somewhere to go after this? The question was intended to be kind as a brow lift above dull eyes.
46 Posts
Ooc — Somniari
Rokig, She repeated; what a strange name! For the first time in what felt like forever, a genuine smile curved her lips. I'm Lainie.
Lainie paused at his question. She didn't— but did that mean he was offering somewhere? Would she go with him? He had fed her— and that was probably as good a reason as any to follow him. It'd probably get her brutally murdered and like, eaten or something, but hey. Maybe there'd be another free meal before then.
No, I don't, She admitted after a couple beats, fixing him with an inquisitive look. It probably seemed like she wanted to know more about whatever place he might be offering, but really she was just wondering if he'd feed her again.
Lurker
273 Posts
Ooc —
Lainie.

It was a name he committed to memory with a small smile. She'd be hard to forget with such striking (and perhaps not in the best way) features. Not to mention her colors were like a stormy sky and he enjoyed those. The underweight loner would be entirely hard to forget.

I live on an island not far from here. He motioned with his nose in the direction Undersea was. Everyone there is rather nice as long as you don't stir up trouble. Rokig briefly recalled the situation on the borders. He highly doubted Lainie was going to do anything like that, though. There's food and shelter. I'm sure I can find a medic too if you need one. And of course his thoughts drifted to @Maegi at the mention of a medic. Any interest?
46 Posts
Ooc — Somniari
Had she known his thoughts, she might have smacked him— however wolves do that. Really the only thing Lainie had to be proud of was the fact that she was, obviously, really good looking. The best looking grey wolf around, actually. But she couldn't know, so she just regarded him fondly and thought about food as he spoke. He even said the word and everything; she was sold.
Yes She paused, embarrassed at how eager she sounded. I mean, um, yeah... if no one minds. I can be useful! Lainie tried to sound less... desperate. Overall she failed. There was an undeniable glimmer of hope in her eyes, though; maybe she wouldn't have to starve again. Maybe she wouldn't be forgotten again.
Lurker
273 Posts
Ooc —
He smiled, tail swishing behind him. We'll worry about being useful and the such once you get settled in. I'm fairly sure they won't turn you away - especially if they took me in. A small chuckle escaped him as he settled onto his rear. Eat up and then we'll head back. Rokig was in no rush to get back. They weren't very far nor did he want to rush her to get moving again. Especially after the woozy way this interaction had started.
46 Posts
Ooc — Somniari
Rokig was, perhaps, too nice; she was a little suspicious of his intentions, but... food. If he intended on bringing her to his pack as some sort of cannibalistic offering, she could at least take pleasure in them laughing him out— Lainie would have made a poor meal at the moment.
Thank you, She murmured for the second time, giving him a look full of warmth. In a way, she knew, he had just saved her life— and that meant she owed him. Lainie had never been in debt, or had to work for anything in her life, really. That didn't mean she wasn't willing, though; it just meant she had no idea how she was going to repay Rokig, and that she'd have to work extra hard to earn her keep in this pack. She set to finishing the fish with these thoughts heavy in her mind. Eventually, she would rise to follow him.