Two Rivers Isle Animal Crossing
24 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
All Welcome 
For a pal. B^)

When Sapphira caught sight of the river-protected isle, she just had to investigate it. What kind of life was there? Was it different from life outside of the isle? The trees she could make out were familiar, but perhaps there were other plants never seen before. Just what uses could they have in medicine?

She paced the length of the nearest river until she found a shallow section and began to wade across. Some sections required her to swim a bit, which was alright. Being in water didn't bother her, especially in the intense summer heat of the day. After a while, Sapphira finally made it to the other side. As soon as she made it to solid ground, she shook her pelt free of much of the water clinging to her pelt. Then, she began to explore the isle, examining the plants closely as she went.
Misae — "White sun"
17 Posts
Ooc — Ajax
Donoma had just crossed into the periphery of the protected islet, soused in river water that was saturated down to her underfur. It wouldn't have been such a bother if the weather hadn't been turning bitter, grey clouds slowly accumulating within the once-clear sky. Giving her coat a thorough shake, Donoma was able to rid her pelt of the remaining droplets that'd been clinging to the ends of her guard hairs, dispersing water every-which-way.

Suddenly, she bit her lip and paused. She hadn't been thinking. The area in which she'd decided to dry off was surrounded in foliage, which had taken the impact of the water that'd sprayed from her fur. It ricocheted off the leaves, creating a rather loud series of rapid patters that echoed through the encompassing woodland. Freezing, Donoma swiveled her ears tentatively, allowing her gaze to flit quickly through the surrounding trees, searching; listening, for anything or anyone who might've heard.
24 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
Her ears perked as they took note of an odd sound off to her right she couldn't put her finger on. She lifted her head, ears swiveling to listen for any more sounds. They didn't pick up anything else of interest, but her nose did. The scent of another female wafted into her sensitive nostrils.

There was always that small wave of anxiety when strangers were around, as you never knew their intentions, but Sapphira didn't feel overly concerned. She was just minding her own business, and this place was not claimed, as far as she could tell. So, she went back to what she was doing: examining the flora. To her slight disappointment, though, she hadn't found anything out of the ordinary... yet.
Misae — "White sun"
17 Posts
Ooc — Ajax
No aggressive canine came plowing through the verdure, and no jay took perch above her and began to crow. Donoma sighed softly in relief, allowing herself to relax. Nonetheless, the bitch remained vaguely alert, as she was upwind and wouldn't be able to scent an approaching wolf. The zephyr that danced between the trees smelled of pogonia and dew, forcing the last of the tension in her breast to dissipate.

Donoma abruptly realized that there was a better chance of her getting mauled by a lone wolf if she surprised them than if they already knew she was in the area, and though she knew that this portion of land was uninhabited by a pack, that didn't necessarily mean that there wasn't one close by that she may accidentally run into. Weighing her options, the female rested on the decision to let her presence be known, taking a deep breath.

Lifting her muzzle skyward, Donoma parted her jaws to release a long, low howl that emanated throughout the forest and traveled across the rivers. Concluding her melodic announcement, the she-wolf caught her breath, murmuring to herself. That should do it.
24 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
Sapphira was surprised to hear a howl, head shooting up from her observations. From the direction it came from, it seemed like the same female again. Her instincts urged her to howl back, and it felt like the reasonable thing to do, so she lifted her snout to the air and howled back. Her voice carried through the trees and beyond the rivers surrounding her. Finally, she sealed her lips and brought her head back down. That felt pretty damn good, actually.

Ah, what the hell. She'd go and see who this stranger was. She needed more friends around these parts. Since the other woman had been so kind as to announce her own presence, Sapphira's worries had largely left her. So, she moved at a steady clip, trotting along through the foliage.
Misae — "White sun"
17 Posts
Ooc — Ajax
Donoma was pleased to hear a response, and the fact that it came from a lone female only added to her satisfaction. She was relieved that she didn't have to confront a single male, nor a pack of males. Those typically didn't go as smoothly. Allowing her tongue to loll as she ambled through the greenery, the she-wolf went in the direction of the stranger, ignoring the mud that adhered to her paws and matted the fur between her toes.

Not soon after her initial departure from the riverside, Donoma heard the distant pawsteps of her company approaching through the timberland. Lowering her head in anticipation of the meeting, Donoma made sure not to appear threatening, hiding her teeth beneath her lips.
24 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
Soon enough, the silver agouti came into view. She was thin and didn't smell like a pack wolf, just like herself. In a way, it was comforting that they were in the same situation. Sapphira slowed to a stop and offered her a smile. Hello, She greeted. What brings you here? The other wolf likely had very different reasons from herself, so she was genuinely curious—not to mention conversational.
Misae — "White sun"
17 Posts
Ooc — Ajax
I'm simply searching for something to eat, and perhaps a bit of company. Also, I must say, you're the first wolf I've met here, and I'm delighted that you've not yet tried to tear my throat out. she chuckled half-heartedly in response, looking up at the slate-colored female. Oh dear, have I strayed onto your land? I didn't smell any markers, but then again, you have the rill marking your borders. Donoma inquired worriedly, eyes widening slightly in concern.
24 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
I feel the same, Sapphira agreed with a small chuckle, also pleased that she would not have he throat torn out. She, too, was happy to have some friendly company. The other woman asked if this were her land, and she shook her head. No, I just discovered this place, myself. It piqued my curiosity, Sapphira answered, drawing her gaze deeper into the forest. She looked back at the other wolf as she remembered her manners. Ah, I'm Sapphira. It's nice to meet you. A smile crept onto her face, and her tail gave a slight wave behind her.
Misae — "White sun"
17 Posts
Ooc — Ajax
I'm Donoma. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance. She offered a relaxed grin, her tail settling into a rhythmic sway. Are you from around here? Donoma decided to ask, tilting her head gently to the side.
24 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
Not sure if Sapph's gonna be accepted into Redhawks, so her answer is vague. :'^)

Ah, not really. I came here from the southwest, She answered before adding, If you're hungry, I could help you out, but you should know I'm not the best hunter. Of course, she was a wolf, and a loner at that, so she'd gotten a bit better at catching her own food, but Sapphira would consider herself mediocre at best at it.
Misae — "White sun"
17 Posts
Ooc — Ajax
Ah, that's quite alright. Any help is welcome, and I'm sure that your ability exceeds what you claim. Donoma smiled, squinting amiably at Sapphira. Would you be open to fishing? I spotted a hover of brook trout upstream in the Westward river. she inquired, rotating her ears in the direction of the brook.
24 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
Sorry for the wait, catching up on posts!

Sapphira wasn't so sure about that—especially when Donoma suggested fishing, oh god. As if hunting on land wasn't hard enough, now she was being asked to fish. Still, if Donoma suggested it, she had to have some kind of skill in it, right? Maybe she could teach her. I've actually never fished before, Sapphira confessed before adding, But I'm willing to try. First time for everything, right? She managed a smile, then headed in the aforementioned river's direction, presumably with Donoma in tow.
Misae — "White sun"
17 Posts
Ooc — Ajax
No worries! I've been away for quite a while at a convention, so I'm super sorry you've had to wait this long for me. Also, when Donoma says "dimprint", she's referring to shadows.

It's really quite simple once you've grown accustomed to it. Only one thing really matters- don't startle the fish. With noise, shadows, anything. Patience is definitely a must, but the reward of a fat trout is most certainly worth it. Donoma grinned, panting as she kept pace with her newfound companion.

As the crisp scent of freshwater and riverside mire wafted into her nostrils, the wolfess knew they were approaching the stream. Don't let your dimprint fall over the water, it'll spook the trout, the she-wolf paused at the treeline, narrowing her eyes at the fish-spotted surface. and whisper. Silence is essential for a successful hunt, whether landborne, littoral or maritime. she added, wriggling her hindquarters in anticipation of the hunt.
24 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
You're good! I have a million characters to keep myself occupied, lmao.

Donoma gave her an important tip, and she nodded. Don't startle the fish, got it, Sapphira repeated, filing the information away in her brain. They eventually approached the water's edge, and Donoma gave another piece of advice. Sapphira wasn't sure what a dimprint was but assumed it was a shadow or reflection using gold ol' context clues. She wondered where Donoma was from, as she had such a broad vocabulary and an accent Sapphira had never heard before. Not wanting to make a sound unless completely necessary, she just nodded in response.

The medic approached the stream cautiously, taking quiet steps. She was afraid to get too close and startle the fish, so she stopped a few feet away. Now what? She whispered, wanting to see the other's attempt first so she could mimic it. Sapphira learned best that way.
Misae — "White sun"
17 Posts
Ooc — Ajax
With circumspect precision, Donoma flattened herself against the river's verge, approaching the water with high steps vaguely akin to those of a stalking feline. The wolfess used her snout to push aside the tall grasses bordering the bank, glabella creased in concentration in spite of the silt collecting on the delicate white hairs of her underbelly.

Memorize the positions of the fish closest to you, Donoma murmured, her voice barely audible above the soft gurgling of the steam, and on my mark, we charge. Be ready to bite, and chase if need be. Try to anticipate your target's next moves, and be wary of their slippery scales. Also, it may be hard, but try your best not to get distracted once the shoal begins to panic. They will move every-which-way, like a bevy of startled sparrows. she concluded, impressed with Sapphira's attentiveness.
24 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
Surprised when Donoma flattened herself in the grass, she mimicked the woman anyway, stalking up to be beside her. The gray agouti gave further instructions, which she nodded at once more, trying her best to prepare herself. Sapphira watched the fish in the water as they swam about, and she decided on one she'd aim for. Her oceanic gaze followed her target closely and with great concentration.

On Donoma's mark, she would leap into the water―loudly sending it everywhere―but quickly lose her target in the chaos. Frantically now, the wolfess snapped her jaws in the general direction of a group of fish but missed them all. Giving up, Sapphira huffed and glanced towards her hunting partner to see if she performed any better.
Misae — "White sun"
17 Posts
Ooc — Ajax
Movements equally chaotic upon bursting through the hedgeline, Donoma plunged her head beneath the surface, maw snapping shut — but missing her quarry. However, in the same moment the trout fled her ivory snare, a second surged forward in the panic to take its place. Lifting her head, Donoma breathed heavily through her nostrils as she splayed her forelegs, trying to keep her balance as the fish thrashed between her jaws. Though this one was noticeably smaller in comparison to the trout she'd intended to catch, it was still large enough to serve as a meal for the doublet.

Tightening her grip around its slick scales, the female thrashed loudly back to the shore, dropping the fish far enough from the water's edge that it wouldn't be able to writhe away with any success. There! she panted, shuddering to relieve some of the wetness from her fur.
24 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
Donoma, too, missed her mark. However, unlike Sapphira, she was able to snag a different fish, which was tossed onto shore. Both women were panting now, but at least Donoma was pleased. Sapphira would've liked to be able to contribute, but this was her first attempt ever at fishing, so what could she do? At least they had something. This is... way harder in practice... The snow-dappled medic commented through breaths, eyes moving to watch the trout desperately flop about on land.

Wishing to no longer be wet, she stepped out of the water and shook out her pelt. Staring at the still very alive fish, Sapphira asked, What's the best way to kill it?
Misae — "White sun"
17 Posts
Ooc — Ajax
Sorry this is so short!!

A bite to the back of the head is the quickest and easiest way. Would you like to give it a try? Donoma enquired, gesturing toward the fish with a gentle wave of her forepaw. It might seem a bit daunting, but it'd be great practice. the agouti female added, sitting down atop the smooth shore silt.
24 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
Yells at my loss of muse for this character.

Donoma explained that a bite to the back of the head was best. When she asked if Sapphira would like to try, she replied, Yeah, I got it. It didn't sound too hard. Holding the fish down with a foot to cease its flopping, she moved her teeth to the space just behind its skull and clamped down. Its spinal cord snapped, and the creature's resistance ended. Sorry I was no help, The medic offered, despite both of them knowing of her lack of fishing experience. Still, it would've been nice to have two. Wanna split it? I'll pay you back, She then asked with a slight wag of her tail, feeling the need to offer something in return.
Misae — "White sun"
17 Posts
Ooc — Ajax
You don't have to apologize, dear. You did that wonderfully. Of course, I'd love to share, but there's really no need for repayment. Donoma chuckled, trying to ease any apprehension that her companion might hold. Leaning down, the female began to rip at the pebbly hide encasing the flesh inside, spitting the scales aside as she tore through the slick barrier.
24 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
Stubbornly, Sapphira said, Mmm, fine, but I'm still gonna make it up to you. She grinned before crouching down to join her, tearing into the fish to get to its pink flesh. The taste was wonderful and new. Wow, this is really good! I'll have to give fishing another go sometime. When Sapphira had eaten her fill, she sat up and said, Thanks for the meal... and the company. She smiled warmly at the kind wolfess, glad to have met her in this interesting place.