Bitterroot Valley watching as i fall
i gave until my soul hurt
315 Posts
Ooc — Ash
All Welcome 
I haven't done this in forever. Please forgive any rustiness.

Even this far from the coast, Eilidh could smell the salted wind, carrying scents of decaying fish and seaweed on its back. Her heart ached for the life she once had here, many moons ago when she was only a child. Her parents, both beloved in their time, had long ago passed, and it was truly the loss of her father that drove Eilidh out of these wilds. But now, years later, she was finally returning home.

Coming from the northeast, she entered the wilds through the snowforest taiga, a place she knew of in name and scent, but did not know well enough to traverse quickly. Many years ago she had left this way, and now she returned, trudging a vaguely familiar path. The varying scents on the wind mingled so she was unable to pick out any particular scent as familiar. At least she knew, in her heart, that the Sentinels would always be her home. And she knew to get there she would need to find the coast, and head south.

So she moved through the taiga's barren landscape, a ghoul moving like a wraith through the morning mist. Eilidh, once plush and full of life, now drifted through the world as a gangly thing, all baby fat turned into hard muscle and very little fat to speak of. Paired with the haunted look in her emerald eyes, Eilidh's appearance was far from what others might remember.
Trades
Caregiver (5/5) / Medic (1/10)
Naturalist (0/5) / Botanist (0/10)
the fever becomes my home.
65 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
Bitterness had consumed him. Granted it had consumed him over the years. Perhaps it was just amplified now by his departure from The Frozen Territories. He trudged along through the unknown terrain with a scowl cutting sharply into his features.

The dark male would have kept moving on had something not caught his attention. It was a pale figure just up ahead and momentarily, his scowl seemed to become something sad. His throat tightened as he called out. Katyenka? It couldn't be her, could it? She was supposed to be far from him. Yet his heart still wished for it to be her.
315 Posts
Ooc — Ash
A name drifted on the breeze toward her, giving her pause. With one foot lifted, Eilidh stopped, as if holding her breath. One ear swiveled back toward the sound, cautiously listening for other sounds. When he didn't speak again, the golden wraith turned her head back, searching for the cause of the sound. A male, swarthy and broad, looked at her as if he'd seen a ghost. The scowl on his brows drifted into sadness, but his eyes were haunted. As if he expected her to know him, and be glad of their reunion.

Stepping back toward him, Eilidh simply shook her head. No, she began, her voice a wisp of its normal self. My name is Eilidh. Are you looking for Katyenka? Ever helpful even in her grief, Eilidh waited to hear how she could assist the dark male.
Trades
65 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
His illusion had been shattered the moment she turned around. The eye color was all wrong and her voice didn't match. His heart sunk into the depths of his belly and suddenly he was closed off again. Sadness replaced with a stoic stare even at her helpful words.

No. Because he hadn't been looking for her, he thought that perhaps she was looking for him. That he had stumbled upon her by chance. I shouldn't have disrupted you. Sorry. The words seemed hollow despite his best attempt to make them sound genuine.

His inky lips pulled down further at disappointment in himself. How could he have mistaken this stranger for Katyenka?
315 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Eilidh studied him, noting how his expression went from one of cautious hope to downright disappointment. It might have hurt another, yet Eilidh was hardened against such feelings. After her father's death, the feelings she once had, muted as they were, had disappeared. The only thing she still felt was hope, a small glimmering feeling in her heart.  A quiet hope for her family, for the home she left behind. She often thought of Floki and Charon, those kind souls who took them in the winter after her father's death, and wondered after their wellbeing.

She'd have to find them, bring them a token of her thanks. Perhaps her brother still lived on Moonspear. It was no disruption, she said, turning back to the conversation at hand. What is your name? The question was soft, and she really didn't expect an answer. The male seemed lost in his own thoughts again, disappointed -- perhaps bitterly -- at finding she was not the woman he was, or wasn't, looking for.
Trades
65 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
He wasn't sure if her words soothed or disappointed him further. Perhaps if he had truly disrupted her he could have slipped away in silence. Instead, she asked him another question. Aleks was used to being in the spotlight but that didn't mean he enjoyed it. Especially not after his departure from The Frozen Territories.

Aleks. He said with a small dip of his muzzle that would likely go unnoticed. Who are you? His rough tones dared to ask as orange eyes inspected her. If she wasn't Katyenka then who was she? Not that he deeply cared - for he doubted he'd run into her again - but curiosity gripped at him at this moment.
315 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Aleks. It was a nice name, though harsher than those she was used to hearing. Perhaps the closest rival would be her brother's name, Constantine. She noted the small dip of his muzzle, which brought a tiny smile to the edge of her lips.  My name's Eilidh, she repeated. Perhaps he was too distraught at hearing that she wasn't who he thought that he didn't catch her name the first time. Are you from the area? Perhaps she knew of her family, or could point her in the right direction. Though she wasn't sure if she'd find them here, a glimmer of hope remained. She nursed it carefully, tending to the soil in which it grew as if it was her medicinal garden.
Trades
65 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
Eilidh.

Right. She had already said that and now he felt even more disappointed in himself. God he was terribly off the ball, wasn't he? No, not at all. He was far from here but she didn't need to know the specifics. Why do you ask? Looking for something? It must have been the time of the year to go looking for things. He would have laughed at his own thoughts if he was capable of mustering such emotions.

Casually he shifted his weight while glancing around. This wasn't a terrible place to be lost but he wasn't sure he wanted to stick here for long. Aleks craved high ground with cooler temperatures.
315 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Her ears fluttered back at his answer, her tiny hope dimming just a bit. But no matter. Eilidh would trek the old haunts and find her family, if they remained. My family once lived in these parts, and ruled two great packs. I'm simply looking to reunite with them. To reveal that she didn't know where they were was a show of vulnerability, but the healer knew enough to care for herself after nearly two years of travel. She was unafraid of anything this male could do.

What brings you to the wilds? Eilidh's curiosity got the better of her, even suspecting that this male rather liked being alone. Perhaps he would accompany her--no, that was a silly notion. Strangers did not often band together, and even if he did, what of it? Eilidh's goal was to find her family and rekindle her love for the healing arts. After everything... She shook her head, reminding herself it was best not to dwell too heavily on the past.
Trades
65 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
So she was a part of royal blood then. Not just some wayward loner. He supposed that should have soothed him but he knew there was little separating one of royal lines and one of savagery. He had seen the line blurred before. Yet she seemed soft enough. After all, he had confused her for his dear Katyenka.

I wish you luck in your endeavors. He mumbled softly with another tiny dip of his muzzle. It was no easy task to reunite with lost ones. If Aleks knew anything it would be that anyone looking to reunite would need luck on their side.

Her question summoned a small hum from him. Passing through. It seemed as good as any answer he could have given. Although he wasn't sure how true it was mentioning he had no way of knowing what these lands held for him.
315 Posts
Ooc — Ash
When she mentioned her family ties to leadership, his demeanor seemed to shift ever so slightly. Did he look at her with fresh eyes, as a wayward princess come home? Or did he fear her, knowing that her family had ruled in not one, but two packs in the area, possibly with more force than was strictly necessary? Eilidh would laugh at the notion of anyone thinking her family was cruel, but how would Aleks know? He was a stranger. Thank you, she replied, her tone sincere. She would need luck, and she was not afraid to admit it.

The wilds have some amazing things to offer. I hope you enjoy your stay, whether it be a few days or months. Eilidh was unsure how much to say to this stranger. If you're ever in need of a healer, don't hesitate to find me, wherever I may be. Though of late her knowledge hadn't been used strictly for healing, she missed the rush of finding a remedy, of growing and tending her plants. Aside from reuniting with family, Eilidh was most excited about replanting her garden.
Trades
65 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
She was awfully kind for a stranger but Aleks didn't reject it. It had been sometime since he had last been on his own (even then he still had somewhere to return, never truly alone) and he knew not what faces would greet him during this part of his life. Friendly was better than trying to rip into him.

Her offer sounded too good to be true but he had no reason to doubt the soft female. Aleks found his chest almost hurt at the kindness she showed him. He did not think anyone was capable of showing him such kindness besides his previous wife. Perhaps their similarities was why he had been so soft during this encounter, usually sharp words and shows of teeth.

Thank you. I'm not sure what I can offer in return - guarding perhaps - but if you need anything you'll have a good chance at finding me on high ground. He rumbled softly. Aleks was usually not one for deals but her resemblance to Katyenka had a dizzying effect on him.
315 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Perhaps she was too kind for a stranger, but her father's teachings were instilled rather deeply in her psyche. Do unto others, land a helping paw, and never harm a creature outside of necessity. Of these mandates, she has failed miserably at the last these past years. Now that she was home, Eilidh hoped to atone for her many sins by helping others and adhering to her family's peaceful ways.

I'll keep that in mind, she said with a smile. Though Aleks was a man of few words, part of her knew that beneath the scowling exterior was a wolf of mettle and resolve, man moved to tend to those he cared for, and often felt things too fiercely. Though it might not be true, that was what she sensed from him. If you decide to stay, perhaps our paths will cross again.
Trades
65 Posts
Ooc — hund
Away
feel free to respond or archive, last post from Aleks

I hope so. He murmured in response. It was sincere even if there wasn't much emotion to the words. Aleks knew he had kept her for too long. She had family to find and the clock was ticking. The swarthy male would offer a silent good-bye in the form of a nod before he slipped off. He had no clue where he would go to next but he did know he wished the pale female well.
315 Posts
Ooc — Ash
Good luck, Aleks, she wished, giving him a quiet smile. Whatever happened, she also wished him well, and hoped that he found whatever it was he was looking for. Though he said he was passing through, there was something about the wilds that often kept wolves far longer than they originally meant to stay, and dug its tendrils in their hearts.
Trades