Mudminnow River Sometimes science is a lot more art than science
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
Private 
@Kavik @Illidan @Grezig some pp, let me know if I need to edit

Her own children had been easy to set aside, relatively. They'd been fresh blanks, not yet aware of their life; it had been the loss of something left unexplored that had crushed her so - not their individual lives. They'd had none of yet; they couldn't possibly have known what they were missing. The mother had grieved for them and then eventually she'd left them behind, to wait for her in the stars. It was the way of things. 

It is Illidan that is not so easy to keep her distance from. Maternally, her unfulfilled instincts draw her to the boy. The healer reminds herself, constantly, that he is not hers; to think of him as such is dangerous. She finds herself ignoring this, just as often as she tells herself to stay away, keeping the wild child at her side; he's quiet as the sylph is and the silence is comfortable between them as they travel. Occasionally the healer points something out to him, or to Kavik, but for the most part she goes about caring for Illidan silently. 

The sun will be setting in a few hours, if her judgement of the sun is correct. The sky is clear now, no sign of the torrent that drove them away from the Sanctuary, painfully cerulean and dotted with fluffy white clouds. The river they cross is choked with mud and silt, flashing with the silver of small fish, and she struggles only a bit with her balance. Kavik has to scoop up the sooty coywolf but they make it over with little trouble. 

Liri pauses on the other side, giving her pale coat a shake and stopping to tip her muzzle to the ground, sniffing for any identifying scents. Mouth open as she smells, the healer can detect a few small prey animals but only one nearby wolf. 

"We're not the only ones here," Liri says to the both of them, glancing at Kavik and Illidan in turn. She nudges the boy with her muzzle, licking some of the brackish water from his coat and motioning for him to stay close. "Maybe she's friendly."
"i'll keep you here when I lose my mind."

564 Posts
Ooc — Fira
Grezig had left the valley (Bearclaw Valley) behind, circling around the back of it and therefore missing the other pack that was so close to it (Easthollow). She had followed the waterways of a moor upwards and now found herself out of the heath, up through a forest, and following a new river that branched from the first one. Most of what she smelled now was mud, but she could not mistake the distinct scent of multiple wolves in the area. They were farther along and when the wind changed direction, it snatched the smell away from her. But there was no doubt that she had smelled them.

The idea of encountering multiple wolves while she was by herself was a bit nerve-wracking. She was not afraid necessarily, but there was no reason to be stupid and risk her life by revealing herself, alone, to a group of wolves. Still, she was losing weight from being on her own for this long… Perhaps there might be something in it for her if she talked to them. Maybe they were part of a pack, or could point her in the direction of one. At this point, even if all they wanted to do was attack her, it wasn’t as if she had much to lose. She had no friends or family nearby and no pups to defend. The worst that could happen was the death of one single lone wolf with no prospects and no one in the vicinity to care about her passing.

With that decided, she released a low howl to let the group know that she was there in case they hadn’t noticed her yet, and began a relaxed trot in their direction, farther up the river. Soon, she saw their shapes ahead and set her tail wagging to let them know that she was not looking for a fight.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
For future reference, Liri is always allowed minor PP with Kavik. :)

As they continued there trek, Kavik noticed Liri's draw to the newly found pup. It was inevitable, he thought; Not only did she possess a gentle, healer's heart, but he suspected that the draw also had something to do with the children she had lost. Kavik also felt for the apparently orphaned boy and for however long he was with them, he would be under Kavik's protection.  

When they reached the muddy river, it was clear the pup would need Kavik's help getting across. As he carried the boy through the water and sludge, he kept a vigilant eye on Liri, ensuring she also made it across safely. Once back on solid ground, he set Illidan back down and shook the mud and water from his think, black coat. 

He picked up the scent of the female at the same time Liri did, although he didn't have the same reaction. He tensed, not liking the idea of a strange wolf being so close. Normally, he wouldn't be so unfriendly, but he was currently a little high-strung; the need to keep Liri and Illidan safe weighing heavy on his shoulders. With a tense expression, he looked to Liri, "What if she isn't?" He had to anticipate all possibilities if he was going to keep them all alive. 

He couldn't deny that a third able wolf in their group would be incredibly helpful, but his anxiety was keeping him from being reasonable. Hearing the howl, he moved closer to Liri and the pup, taking a protective stance as he waited for the she wolf to show herself.
I'm no good without you
the gunslinger
558 Posts
Ooc — Bo

The boy had followed the pair as they led him. He said very little unless he was directly spoken to, and even still only uttered a few short phrases that did little to betray the comfort of his silence. They were a good pair and they had demonstrated kindness to him by allowing him to travel alongside them. The dark-hooded child had thought it odd that he hadn’t found Ephraim yet. Illidan suspected that it was because they had taken his brother somewhere to keep him safe. He was eager to see the sandy coat again; to tell him that their mother missed him and that their father had gone searching. He wondered if Kierkegaard had gone searching for him too.

Trailing after the dark wolf’s tail, Illidan nearly ran into the male when he realized they had stopped to talk. He glanced up with a stern expression on his youthful face. The ash in his coat along his back bristled with surprise when he noticed that they were referencing another wolf. The hawkish yellow of his gaze followed their sights and he hoped for a moment that he would see a member of his family. The other wolf was very much a stranger, though, and the pup became disinterested. He waited for Liri and Kavik to move again.  
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
Liri's lips part, as if to answer him, but her words are halted by the sound of a nearby call. Silently, she presses her nose to Kavik's dark cheek in reassurance. She feels him move rather than seeing him do so, close as she is. Instinctively, she again shifts to somewhat hide the blip of inky coywolf between them (who had first seemed interested, if startled, but was now looking rather impressively bored for someone so young). 

When the other emerges, she reveals herself to be an average looking wolf - an agouti with brown and grey bands coating her. Her stance was as tall and proud as Liri's own but her tail was wagging, hopefully a sign she was here in good faith. Liri let her own tail take up a slow wag, not wanting the tension in the group to scare off any prospective wolves who might want to join them; they could use the numbers. 

"Hello," she called out as the stranger approached, cautious but welcoming.

564 Posts
Ooc — Fira
There were three of them: An adult male, an adult female, and a pup who was, Grezig assumed, male. The adult seemed cautious of her (a wise decision even if she wasn’t here to cause trouble), but the pup seemed bored. Well. He was a pup. He probably did not understand the gravity of the situation.

Grezig dipped her head in salutation. “Hello,” she said, returning the woman’s greeting. “My name is Grezig. I’m… looking for a pack to join. Are you three part of one? Or do you know of one?” Normally, she did not like to ask help from strangers, for she was often too proud, but she would make an exception if it would allow her the safety of a real pack again, with food caches and well-patrolled borders.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Kavik felt the bump against his leg but only spared Illidan a quick glance to ensure he wasn't going to go anywhere. Satisfied that the pup was adequately protected between them, he turned his attention back to where the stranger was approaching. 

His healer's reassurance took the edge off his anxiety enough for him to hear and process the words of the new female when she offered them. Her body language wasn't aggressive and she didn't waste any time asking them what she wanted to know. Still, his green gaze studied her for a minute before he finally answered. "We are looking to start our own pack but do not have the numbers or a territory yet. If you're looking for a more established pack, I think there are a few around here." He hadn't explored very much of this territory, but he knew that much. The times he had gone off to hunt on his own, he had picked up the very clear markers of at least two nearby pack territories. If this she wolf's intentions proved harmless, he woudn't mind her joining their little group, but he wanted to make sure she knew all of her options first. They had a hard road ahead, and she may not be willing to weather it with them.
I'm no good without you
the gunslinger
558 Posts
Ooc — Bo

Illidan shared very little interest in the strange new wolf. Both of his ears were splayed, and he looked to Liri and Kavik for the moment that they seemed to want to leave. With little time left to locate his brother, the boy was eager to keep moving and to ignore curious passersby. Even though they were discussing the foundation of their home and being courteous to each other, Illidan did not listen and he did not understand why they had paused in order to chat with someone he had never seen or smelled before. They continued to chatter on while he wandered a few steps to the left and began to sniff at the earth. If they wanted to blow some time talking with another, he was going to explore the nearby area.
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
At the woman's greeting, some if the initial intensity seems to fade as they take in one another. Grezig appears to be just another lone wolf, like themselves, no more extraordinary or threatening than they are. Liri's still wary, she's never found a lone wolf in these lands that didn't wish her harm, though this doesn't show on her face. For all the world, she looks calm or, even at home, at her giant's side. Illidan's wandering catches her interest but he hasn't gone so far so the healer leaves him be.

"Yes, we seek to found a pack, once we find the right home. You're welcome to come along and make it your home as well," she adds bravely to her giant's words, a small but amiable smile on her face. 

"Though if you seek a pack that's not such a challenge, there are several to the east, though not so many as before." The locusts and the famine they had wrought and a freezing, bitter winter had seen to that. "There are some on the coast, if you don't mind tropical climates, and one that used to be in the mountains. I believe they disbanded, though Moonspear is still around," Liri offered. She'd seen much of the lands and packs came and went. 

"Avoid the pack in the Flatlands if you go west," she murmured, not explaining why. She'd avoided the Flatlands since being held captive and no longer knew if Blackfeather Woods still stood. She figured it safe to warn Grezig and if Grezig didn't take her advice, that was her own fault.

564 Posts
Ooc — Fira
Grezig listened to the two adults as they spoke of making their own pack. And then… she was offered a place among them. “Join… you,” she said slowly, as if she did not believe their words. She also heard them mention other established packs around the area, but she could not stop thinking about joining a pack in the making. While they were still in their bare-boned state. The idea of it excited her. She could think of it: helping to found a brand-new pack and being a part of it every step of the way. She had thought one day, perhaps, that she might become an alpha herself. This would not happen here. She would be a subordinate. But she didn’t mind. Subordinates were just as important as leaders.

Having decided in mere seconds, she almost immediately said, “I will join you. I will help you found your pack. I will do whatever is needed. If you will have me.” She glanced at the boy, who had scuttled off a bit, but drew her eyes back to the leaders. Little did she know what kind of relationship she would have with Illidan later. And only because she had chosen to join now.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Kavik's gaze was momentarily drawn from the female in front of them to the movement made by Illidan. When he was satisfied the boy wasn't wandering too far, he turned back to Grezig. 

He listened to his healer discuss the packs in the area and felt the sudden flare of protective anger as she warned against the pack in the Flatlands, knowing why she made a point to say it. When Liri was finished, he looked to Grezig to see what she would say, and was surprised and impressed that she agreed to take on the starting of a new a pack with them.

He looked back to Liri with unspoken question. Assuming his healer felt the same way, Kavik turned back to the female. "Alright," he said, pairing the word with a quick nod. "Welcome to the group, Grezig."
I'm no good without you