The Sunspire worms, i just opened up a can of those
Ghost
he came and stole the wild
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Private 
Rannoch had been examining the state of the borders in the spare time that he had; the concern of loiterers was at the top of his agenda. 

Having children had changed Rannoch. He was no longer as accepting as he once was to those who sought his claim out of mere curiosity. Perhaps this was a character-shift that was months in the making—his children's birth only solidified his formulating perspective on the matter. 

@Terance, @Treason, and @Bernard accompanied Rannoch as he prowled along Sunspire's eastern-most parameters.  He had requested each of their audience, as he knew that they all frequently patrolled; it was a beautiful, sunny day and they'd take advantage of the prime conditions. Rannoch wanted to gather their feedback in regards to how things had been, and how they could be more successful moving forward. 

"Thank you all for joining me today," he said, as he looked to his entourage with fondness, "I wanted to talk to each of you about the state of our borders, and how we can be more successful in protecting ourselves and recruiting members moving forward. I realize that I've been very lenient in the past, and I see the error in my ways." There had been situations in which Rannoch could have reacted more adequately—read: the Screech and Redshank debacle. "So, to get this conversation started: how are you all feeling about the condition of the borders lately?"
a crime so old as the sky and bone
he came untied, solid as a stone
all is almost lost and it starts to show
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
Patrols were a thing of routine.  One she didn't mind.  It kept her thinking, even if not all the things she thought of would be considered savory.  She had plenty of doubts, but they weren't things that many would be willing to erase.  Things that she'd have to just accept and learn to deal with or find a future elsewhere, not that she'd even know where to look.  It was easier to stay and see if things changed and better opportunities appeared in one way or another -- and again, not always savory.  With control and patience would eventually come rewards.

Most of her trips were solo, so having others with her was slightly strange now.  She wasn't entirely sure what direction Rannoch would be taking things conversation-wise -- perhaps to her, being strict about borders and willing to more maliciously defend them was obvious and what she'd been doing already.  Hadn't Treason already proved she wasn't going to flinch at doing great harm if it was required?  Easier to keep with nobody else right nearby.  Thought we'd have trouble with the idiots on the other mountain, but since they're gone -- and the ones in the valley too -- hasn't been much trouble unless someone kept it quiet.  She had her doubts that anyone here other than herself would be clever enough to do so.

There'd been some other fuss at the borders, right?  But it wasn't like the youth-invasion or Redshank.  Unless she had been really out of it, things had been sorted out one way or another.  It's not like we can turn the mountain into a cave with only one entrance.  They had to deal with whatever the world gave them.  She hadn't been the one to pick the territory, just agreed it seemed okay, so...   Eh.  What else were they supposed to do about it?  Borders were patrolled, if anyone caused trouble, they'd be dealt with.  The world came with limitations.

Unfortunate that wolves didn't have security systems.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
terance paced a few steps behind rannoch, listening as his friend and alpha expressed some concerns about the state of their borders. terance didn't answer right away, instead opting to piece together some of his words so he didn't babble like an idiot. treason, thankfully, spoke anyway, buying him some time.

"we could try," he joked in response to her tunnel comment-- but obviously they couldn't just do that, "uh-- no, but, i agree with treason-- if we want to do anything different we're just gonna have to up patrolling. maybe send scouts out in the area to bring in new recruits." yeah. that was about all he had-- and by he, i mean me, cause i'm not really positive how to handle diplomatic scenarios i'm so sorry terance.
91 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
Bernard held up the back, lumbering along behind the rest at a leisurely pace. He listened to the others' input first, finding it easier to tack on his own thoughts to theirs. I think scouts are a good idea. Sending out ambassadors would mean more chances to recruit wolves, some who'd perhaps miss us, He said, supporting Terance's idea.

As for the borders, I personally haven't come across any trouble as of late, but it couldn't hurt to up patrols with the little ones here. He was going to stop there until he remembered something. I will note that Wraen and I came across a brown bear cub on an outing in Northstar Vale. I've no doubt the mother was nearby. There could be more bears, as well. I'd keep an eye out.
PM me about sprees; I'm usually open!
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
In regards to Shadow Mountain's former inhabitants, Rannoch was satisfied that the band had dispersed. "Good," he answered curtly, "We don't need any neighbors. Especially when we have so many mouths to feed. He regarded the group with a glance after a beat and added, "Let me know if anybody does settle too close to us. I don't want that happening, and I will want to chase out whoever is foolish enough to do so." 

Rannoch couldn't help but snort at Treason's next reply; she was right. "You're right but, I wish we could." At this point, Terance offered his input and Rannoch nodded. "I think we're doing well patrol wise, thanks to you guys. But, I think that sending out scouts is a great idea. I know that @Pyro has been helping us out by delivering messages—we could ask him to keep an eye out and report back on the trips he's been making." In time, Rannoch would be able to help, too. "I'll start helping out, too, when my children are older." 

Bernard's account caused the Alpha's fur to stand on edge; he was not enamored by bears. Rannoch turned suddenly towards the wolfdog, his eyes large and his expression serious. "Where was the cub?" he asked. "Near our borders?"[/b][/b]
91 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
Rannoch whirled around to face him, his demeanor the most panicked Bernard had seen on him. With a nervous lap of his nose, he answered, Yes, it was a couple of miles off. After a pause, he then asked in return, What do you want to do? We could chase them off, though that's risky. How close was close enough to warrant chasing off a grizzly bear? Bernard couldn't be sure, though he could imagine Rannoch not being very lenient with his young children about. He awaited the alpha's instruction.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch did not hesitate to speak his mind. "Although I'm not happy about them, I won't act foolishly. He exhaled. "I will not put any of Sunspire in danger—we will not chase them away right now. They're far enough away. But, if they decide to come too close to our borders, we will act accordingly. "

"Are we all in agreement?" he asked then, in an attempt to solicit Terance and Treason's opinions.
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She didn't have much of an opinion on bears.  They just kind of existed and as long as they didn't cause trouble, well.. Whatever.  It wasn't like wolves would be able to make bears go extinct -- they kind of lacked guns and stuff that'd make it way easier to knock out the competition safely.  Either way, she nodded, apparently agreeing that was a reasonable plan of attack.

Treason did have a few other questions and ideas that she wanted to bring to light, though maybe not all right here and now, So little dangers die, big ones get watched.  What about other wolves?  She wanted to know what the limits were going to be. After being stopped previously from permanently crippling Redshank, if she was going to get in trouble past a certain point then she wanted to know.  On her own?  She didn't really have a problem with anything.  Fight, kill, survive -- the weak would fall, and the strong would rise to the top.  That was life.
Arbiter is often not a nice person and will think mean things without acting on them.
If you aren't sure whether her snarky thoughts might be readable, just ask!  IC≠OOC
guardian of the galaxy
1,292 Posts
Ooc — Magdalyn
Master Guardian
perhaps terance was failing at his job, but as his pack mates talked he merely walked— his brows furrowed and his ears angled forwards as he listened. what did he think of this? truthfully terance wasn’t sure. there were plenty of ways to go about defense— and all of them had the potential to fail or succeed at keeping their borders safe. 

truthfully? the only thing that terance held full confidence in was to amp up patrols. nothing could get the job done better than them. but, then again, the thought of a bear cub(s? i forgot and i don’t wanna scroll down) so close to his children was... unsettling. he let out a low grumbling noise of thought— not realizing he’d been thinking so hard until hed let the noise slip. he glanced sideways.

”i agree,” he said, looking to rannoch woth a quick, solid nod. he looked away only because treason asked something, to which he directed his attention at her.[/b]
91 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
I AM SO SORRY I DIDNT REALIZE IT WAS MY TURN AAAAA

Rannoch's logic sounded good to him. I agree, as well, He affirmed. The way Treason worded it sounded excessively cruel, but he supposed this was also true. He, too, wondered how they would now handle their own kind lingering about. Surely not in the most friendly manner, but how aggressive should they be? Bernard would prefer to just be stern and send them on their way if not keen on joining, but he was open to hear others' opinions.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch thoroughly considered Treason's question before answering—the safety of his family would not be taken lightly. 

"If they don't have a reason to be so close to Sunspire, they should be asked to leave. We don't need any loiters on our borders."His eyes found Treason, and he elaborated, "If they give you any issues after you ask them to leave, then we should not hesitate to use force to drive them away." He looked to Terance and Bernard then, and asked, "Do either of you have a problem with that?"
nomen est omen
1,069 Posts
Ooc — Jennifer
Master Guardian
She dipped her head in affirmation and the corners of her mouth tugged up slightly.  Finally, something that sounded kind of reasonable.  Perhaps the sudden turn of pity back with Redshank was a thing of the past and they could act like a real pack, dealing out proper punishments as necessary.  As Rannoch turned away to look at the other two, she lowered her head to sniff around as they walked.  Treason licked her lips -- oh, she dared trouble to show up again.
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
There seemed to be an agreement between the four wolves, and when Rannoch realized this, he beckoned the gathered wolves to follow with a flick of his head. "Well, if we're all agreed, let's continue this patrol, then." 

Without another word, the group did just that. They continued their watch until they felt the borders were secured.