Dawnlark Plains there's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Private 
@Pema come love me

Unkempt, scraggly Shale came a-knocking at his mate's door this fine day, bringing with him the plumpest piece of prey he could find--a baby mountain goat. Nature had done most of the work for him, injuring the creature beyond any chance of survival; he merely had to put the poor thing out of its misery. The easiest kill in weeks, even moons. Which was good, because he was exhausted.

He dragged the babe by its neck, setting it outside and giving her a gentle whuff. He could hear the pups inside, and hoped that Aviana was around as well. Perhaps the woman could babysit for a while, and Pema and he could take a walk after she had eaten. They had not had time to themselves in quite a long time.

His stomach grumbled, squeezing painfully tight as he inhaled, smelling the meat. Licking his chops was agony, a constant reminder of what he was missing. Shale tried to ignore the metallic-sharp taste of blood, instead focusing on the homely sounds of his litter, snuffling and shuffling around in the den. He sat, smiling, waiting for his mate to emerge from the shadows.
631 Posts
Ooc — Raven
Medic
She heard the gentle call of her mate and glanced over at their children. They were innocently playing with one another keeping occupied. She stood up and exited the den her face lighting up with a smile when she caught sight of Shale. She took note of the young goat near the entrance but first went to give her mate a kiss and to nuzzle herself into his neck. She had seen how exhausted he was getting these past few days and so suggested. "Thank you, sweetheart, but you should have this one. You have been working so hard and you need your rest. Let me get the next one ok?" she said lovingly. She had noticed the decreased size of his muscle and pelt and was beginning to become worried for her mate.
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
He nuzzled Pema back, letting her cuddle into him. She was warm, and soft--plush, which means she was well-fed, no small thanks to him. So often, nursing mothers were sucked skinny by their newborns, but that wasn't the case, here. He wanted this streak of good luck to continue, so, ever-stubborn, he shook his head, nosing the kill closer to her.

"I'm fine, Pema," Shale insisted, smiling. "If you get full before you finish it, I'll take the last couple of bites. And things will get easier. . .we have a couple new hunters, now." He was heartened by the joiners, hoping that Morningside's fortunes were turning for the better. They needed to be strong, heading into autumn and the long winter.