Silverlight Terrace and it burns with a guilty smoke
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
All Welcome 
Nightfall swung in slowly, the last few streaks of twilight left to illuminate the snowcapped mountains. Fireflies guided him in this southward course as he pored over thoughts come and go as they pleased; the day had been clouded and damp early, leaving now just the moisture to linger as temperatures dropped comfortably. Moonspear drew his attention at one point as he altered his course to steer him back towards the north—he knew better rhan to draw too close. It would not have surprised him if that mountain possessed eyes that laid on him now, and the passing thought there was maybe those eyes belonged to @Hydra.

That appeased him; it was in part why he lingered and deliberated on choices that remained ahead of him, never behind. Dirge thought of curbing his nightly stroll to head back to @Nyx, wondering if she would question where it was he had disappeared the whole day to. Generally he tried not to stray too far from her, but much like his charm it was hit and miss; his ranging had varied greatly over the days and as of late, he had managed to keep it reined in well. Today had been the exception, he'd been absent from the weald from sun up and now past sundown.

With a yawn to split his features as he turned into the wind, he pressed on.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Hydra hadn't the eyesight of a hawk to know Dirge lingered near. After their conversation, she absently sought his features near the borderland. His face was not the only she sought, though; there had been the pale @Atlantis she wondered about, now and then. Neither of them drew too near, and so she began to think of them less and less. The Beta had decided to push those who did not seek her from her mind; she had more important things to deal with than wonder if she might see those familiar faces once more. 

She sought a familiar herb for Lyra, which was why she was just beyond Moonspear's border this hour; her sister was tending to a pack member, and could not leave them. The Beta discovered the herbs and had intended to head back; as it was, her vantage point provided her with a view, and she saw the familiar features of Dirge. She knew him at this angle, and she observed for a moment. Was he headed to Moonspear? 

He turned, and Hydra reclined onto her haunches, content to loiter and watch what he would do. She did not deign to intervene on his trajectory any more than she had; Hydra had decided to let the cards fall where they would.
I'll find that you'll find that I'm lethal
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Gannet was seeking out Hydra. After their last conversation, he wanted to make sure that things were still good between them, still the same. He couldn't help but feel like, as with Charon, he might have made a mistake.

He followed where he thought she had gone, and when he saw her, began to approach. But when he was still a ways off, he stopped, noting that she was watching something. His eyes followed and caught sight of Dirge, and he stopped, unwilling to interrupt if she was going to go greet him. He didn't recognize their former packmate from this distance, but he wasn't in the mood to socialize with too many right now.

creepin >> feel free to ignore him I just wanted to cameo
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
(Most thread titles come from Into the Fire from the Scarlet Pimpernel)
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
His jaws were swift to shut with a distinct click as he cut off the yawn; doing that there would do him no good with some mileage left to go under his feet. Yet it was in those scant moments to pass that he caught the briefest flicker of movement against the shadows long in dying light.

Hydra.

Ever the wraith she was, she sat poised.

His steps were halted at once, their cessation natural as he regarded her from a distance. Was she waiting? Seemed that way and for who he wondered. He wondered what drew her out to this place, certain it was no pull to him that would see her loose in the evening... though he would have liked that very much.

Teasing her at a distance, he drew to his full height and flagged his tail out, his little cunning display of dominance. He chuffed softly; would she wander out? Perhaps he should have thought again on the notion of eyes on him—how long had she lingered there, unmoving and waiting—but he thought instead he had figured out the why all along.

Gannet, fortunately, went unseen.
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
His eyes soon landed on her, and Hydra remained unmoving. Would he come to her? To Moonspear? Had he and his sister come to their conclusion? His bold display was met with Hydra once again shifting to rise to all fours, and the sweep of her own tail as it rose over her hindquarters. Her ears pricked forward and she turned to leave, taking the things she had collected, earthy items that were purely green, to return home. 

She hoped Dirge might follow, and though she had been about to pause and peer over her shoulder, the face of Gannet could be seen on the rocky face of the Terrace. It gave her all the more reason not to look back; there was much to look forward to where she remained for the time being, her friends face being one of them. 

The Beta picked her way up toward the path where he loitered, and placed the herbs upon the earth for a moment. Were you watching me? she asked with a twinkle in her eye and a grin on her features. As Dirge had, she found appeal in the thought—though she had begun to doubt Gannet might harbor some feelings such as those for her, it was delightful to think of. No man was quite so loyal as he to her, not even Terance.
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He was just about to turn and leave too, but instead of going down to greet whoever that was, Hydra instead began to return. Immediately he felt a little panic - what if she ignored him? But instead her greeting was enough to slam that doubt into the ground immediately.

Gannet was so soft in a lot of ways that Hydra wasn't, but a big part of the reason he stuck by so close to her was the two moments where he'd seen that side - after Liffey had left, and after he'd fallen in the river. She might not seem to always care about his opinions, but she cared about him, and that was really what was important right? At least, so he'd worked out in the time since their talk.

"Yeah," he said, smiling. "I wanted to make sure we were ok." But apparently they were, and it was obvious this reassured him immensely. He glanced over her shoulder at the figure. "Who's that?"
Gannet's face and body are open books; you are more than welcome to distinctly notice any emotion written in his posts.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
When she rose, his head tilted just the slightest bit, questioning. Perhaps she would come, perhaps this time she would rise to the occasion and come to his side. His ears fanned forward as far as they could go, his breath held for a moment—she turned away, back towards the timberline, and the breath escaped him silently. His gaze followed where she went in glimpses where moonlight could reach, and it was there that he found the lingering form of Gannet with narrowed eyes.

Only he did not recognize the figure as Gannet, but assumed it was Charon who lingered. Whoever it was for certain was the sort to make Hydra pause and he thought that a list short and sweet. So much for a chance meeting here, though as he drew his attention northward again, he wondered what he would expect for being in their backyard, so to speak. He cast another look towards Hydra's dark form, lingering for a beat longer, and moved to conceal himself swiftly in the tall grasses that he had come from.

Another time, perhaps.

feel free to skip me unless one of them wants to track after him! ♡
the bonecracker
2,670 Posts
Ooc — kit
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
His concerns were met with a tilt of her head, brought on by her confusion. Of course we are, she responded, just because we might not see eye to eye on everything does not make me feel any less for you, or me any less your friend, Hydra finished. Why would he think... oh, because all others had turned their back on him. Ah. She supposed she could understand that; the same had happened to her, but she had developed no insecurities from it. Those that turned their back on her had never said a word to her in the first place; they could fall off their high horse and fall victim to a stampede thereafter, for all she cared. 

Gannet, though? He stuck around. Time and time again he could have left, but here he was. Her tail waved and she moved to nose his shoulder as she took another step forward. He had become her best friend, and favorite subordinate. His brother was among them, too, now; she hoped his spirits might be a little lighter for it. She had very nearly forgotten Dirge in the weight of their conversation, and she looked over her shoulder, trying to recollect who it was he was talking about... ah, yes! Dirge, she answered, remember him? Her head turned as she looked back in Gannet's direction. He's found his sister, who apparently isn't in the best shape. I wondered if he might come back to Moonspear, she licked her chops, thoughtful, then shrugged. Best not to wonder; best to simply think of what she had already, as it stood.
340 Posts
Ooc — Rebel
There had been a time that Nyx and her siblings would part ways on a daily basis to explore and regroup only to hunt or continue on their travels, so it was no surprise when she roused to find Dirge missing. Since reuniting, their time together had been little; understandably, considering how unpleasant she'd become. Most often, she chose to remain in the place he left her to either rest or sink further into the deep, dark depression she'd found herself lost within.

Darkness fell, and her brother had been gone so long that she began to fret that he'd gotten so tired of her pitiful state that he'd moved on. Part of her had hoped he would, sometimes, while her heart yearned to open up for him. Nyx would never admit it, but she needed someone - and that someone would always be family.

Anxiously, she abandoned her post and pursued his trail in the direction he'd gone earlier in the day. Nyx' raven-tipped lobes twitched toward every sound, followed swiftly by the flick of her gaze, hoping to catch sight of her litter-mate's return. When at last she happened across him, the golden she-wolf felt the tension of her shoulders slacken and she chuffed a soft greeting as she moved in alongside him. "Lose your way?" Nyx asked a little sheepishly, feeling foolish for allowing herself to believe that he'd abandoned her. 
813 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
if you want us to bail lemme know, Gannet can fade anytime!

He'd known just from her body language that this was the case, that being pretty much his preferred mode. But hearing her say it was nice too. Some of her family this was not the case with, but at least with Hydra, he'd always know where he stood. She nosed his shoulder and he gave a small lick to the fur behind her ears, pleased. He'd never not love contact in any form, especially from her.

"Oh." He remembered him some, though they hadn't met much. That he left didn't surprise Gannet, but it did surprise him that Hydra didn't seem upset by this. Not as upset as with others. "You traveled together?" That was Dirge right? When she'd gone on her coastal trip. That felt like a lifetime ago with everything that had happened.
so lay your hands across
my beating heart, love
938 Posts
Ooc — Rhys
Ranger
So focused on making a retreat from watching eyes, he had not anticipated being accosted on the path ahead by another, let alone Nyx. The emergence of her golden haired frame from the heavy foliage drew a cord of tension from him that was gone as swiftly as it came. He brushed against her as they fell into step, a thin smile breaking to her soft words.

"Never," though he wondered how long she had lingered nearby, how long her eyes had been set on him. He wondered if those eyes in the forest and from those not so distant mountain still saw them now, however impossible that was. Dirge bumped the end of his muzzle to her encouragingly, still seeking to usher along his northern path towards the weald; it betrayed he hadn't been up to anything at all.

And if it had, well, she'd let him know soon as the two continued on well out of view from prying eyes.

i had actually intended to let dirge fade out for you guys haha, so i'll let @Hydra decide! maybe nyx will be able to give dirge a good stink eye this time. :P