Moonspear days went by when you and i
parts of stars, parts of legends
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
All Welcome 
It had been a long, hot, muggy day and by late afternoon when his own patrol of south of the forests finished up, he was struck with an urge to track down his littermate. He hadn't crossed paths with her immediately lately, after all. Their timing had just been off, he cited, plus they were both busy with their own sorts of happenings these days that only really overlapped at the heart of their home. If he saw her most times, it was with the rest of their family--not alone, and not for very long. He was usually off to his own things lately, patrolling or hunting or helping corral his little biter siblings; maybe he had just started to miss just @Vela a teeny tiny bit despite them never being exceptionally close. It was something unspoken that he didn't want to see them grow apart from.

The trails were not getting any warmer but he was, and he sluggishly plodded along panting towards a nearby creek to go hunt frogs if all else was going to fail. At least he'd enjoy a nice treat on a humid summer eve when he wasn't going to get his hopes up about his sibling just yet.. not when he didn't look like he was covering much ground in actual useful pursuit anyway.

And at least it was getting late. Soon it would cool down and he wanted to be ready to keep going once it did.
[Image: FTnkWJH.png]
288 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Vela was quite self-centered these last few weeks. She tried to hang out more with Drogon and work on her mercenary skills. She had also dusted out the cave she found with her father. She had not been there in a long time and it remembered her how close she had been, how attached. She was doing much better but she felt she would always stay a daddy's girl.

Since the evening was so hot Vela had been lounging in the stream. She thought a 'spa night' was something she deserved. The speckled female perked up her ears when she heard something. She sat up and then let out a bark as she couldn't see the one that was approaching, just to tell them that she was around as well.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
He went on his way until he met up with the creek, and surprisingly Vela too. His head perked up and his relief was pleasantly doubled--way to accomplish two goals at once, so he grinned to himself as he finished his trot lighter than before, and went up closer to her and the waters. Seemed she had the right idea about it too. "Vela! I was wondering where you were," he panted, finally coming to a halt at the edge of the creek where he could get his front toes just enough in the water. With that much said, he took a long drink. "But yuck I almost thought it was too muggy to look for you for real. How have you been? I know you've been busy and I've been going around  too so like," he swung his muzzle in some vague gesture, smattering droplets with it in an oh-so-eloquent way to say they were all growing up and other family and pack things were around to keep him busy.
288 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Vela hummed when her brother appeared. He was one of the better and nicer packmates in her opinion. She was pleased. She hummed at his greeting. "I've been spending time with Drogon and keeping to myself." It was usually what she did, keeping to her own. She had been close with her father when she was younger but now as she grew older and younger generation needed him more she was becoming far more independent. She accepted that. If she wanted more interaction she would look for any member of the pack to entertain her.

"I'm good. Doing what you do. You must have smelled my scent marks?," she questioned. She had been patrolling the borders. "You should lie down as well, it is very refreshing to have the cold water rush over your body," she pointed out to him. Vela kept her blue eyes on her brother. "Jar... Do you ever wonder what it is like in another pack? Or being all on your own? Not that I want to leave but I never really left our packlands," she sighed. "Is it even worth leaving?"
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
He "hmm-ed" out loud, not surprised--because he was used to her either being with Dad or now Drogon, apparently.. and of course he knew she was out and manning the borderlands too. Since Jarilo didn't really have a particularly noteworthy opinion on any of that, he just kind of nodded back and definitely took the invitation to settle into the waters more. He stepped further in, and sunk down to lay on his belly. At first, he winced a bit.. until all bits of him got used to the chill of being freshly submerged; it passed swiftly, he got comfortable, and Vela's question was quick distraction.

Why? was his first thought back, but he'd answer and tried not to squint anymore. "I mean yeah sometimes I wonder, and sometime I ask other folk what it's like in their packs--it just sounds a little like here sometimes, but not all the same. None of it I've ever heard has really made me.. I don't know, suuper super interested. Just curious to hear about it.." he said. He was only really speaking on his experience with two Ironsea wolves, plus a few scarce others in passing and through his older sisters. "And on my own would only be good for a little while, I'd think? Right?" He liked to talk too much so would see himself getting lonely. "It would be fun to travel--fly solo, all that cool stuff," not that he was motivated to do so, he liked calling the mountain home too much for that right now. "Although I guess getting out to scout around a bit is kind of like that.. but still having a home and a pack waiting for you when it's all done with," he supposed.

As for what it was worth, he didn't know. He had never aspired to leave so he didn't relate when other wolves talked about dispersing, mostly because he put little effort into thinking about it. "I dunno. Do you wonder about these things? Why though?"
288 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Vela curiously listened to her brother. It was smart to ask other wolves what it was like in their packs. However, she never really met any other wolves that she was talkative to ask such things. The female had to think about that if she was even willing to open herself up like that. She rather wanted to invest her time in Moonspear members. "Right," she spoke when no other pack sounded as good as Moonspear. Just like she thought.

"Yeah. I guess you are right. Perhaps being a scout would offer such things but having Moonspear to return to," she agreed with him. She wondered if Moonspear needed a scout. Vela didn't know if she was the right type to be a scout, she wasn't that sociable anymore. She wouldn't even know where to start. Perhaps she should ask her father.

She turned her blue gaze at Jarilo. "After Drogon left for a while it made me think why he would want to leave a place like this," she explained. "He said he needed space and being alone. I just don't understand why. I know I am not the most social wolf but I wouldn't be out there alone, all by myself." It would feel unnatural to her.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
He might not have had the grandest scope of all things, but it felt like enough to him to classify his home as best--so he just hoped to translate this to helping Vela not feel like she was missing anything by not. When everything, and pretty much every one, he thought he'd want to see was here, why not? "Maybe, I dunno. I just like to go out occasionally," he said, unsure if he would ever aim to scout extensively. He liked to see new places, but he was not always entirely dedicated to a cause like that.

As for what she said about Drogon, he was silent for a moment and felt his expression harden just a bit--first, in thought.  Something innate about it made him a little bit prickly about it. "What, he couldn't find a place to be alone on this whole mountain?" the steely Ostrega scoffed, though a sharp eye watched Vela in case this might be too insulting. He didn't often voice any opinions of his own about him, or any of that, to her. But, he couldn't help her understand that any unfortunately. To him, it didn't make all that much sense but his experiences were drastically different from the other young wolf's, so giving him the benefit of the doubt was all Jarilo could do. "I don't get it either." Jarilo said. "We could scout out together sometime, though? Maybe go some check out places I've not been to yet," he suggested while perking up his ears anew.
288 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Vela never knew that her brother explored more than her. She wanted to do some more exploring as well, and perhaps her brother could help her with that. She was curious how he was meeting strangers. Was he as guarded as her? Or would he act friendly? Lots of things to ask. Then Jarilo commented on Drogon. Vela's ears flattened, not because of his comment but because of her memory of Drogon. "Tell me about it," she huffed and then rolled her eyes. "You know, perhaps it is better that he is gone," she stated. Though, secretly that did hurt as she said that.

Then Jarilo gave an excellent suggestion. "I'd like that idea," Vela spoke. She was starting to appreciate her brother much more than she had when she was younger. "I have not seen much, I will admit," she spoke. Vela knew she could admit such things to her brother. She didn't see the shame in it. Vela lived to protect her family and to support them. Simple.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
For a quick hot second, he thought that maybe Drogon would be a sorer topic than it turned out to be. Jarilo's relief was obvious, but really, thankfully she agreed. That alone made him more excited about the idea of doing something together; he wouldn't have to worry about Drogon-angst coming too. "Yeah.. maybe. Well I mean I'm still sad for you, if you liked him but... eugh, I don't know. If he couldn't figure out the mountain so bad, I dunno if he was meant to fit in with the family..?" the dark yearling mentioned just in case, and it was his best effort at consoling his sister yet.

Anyway!! He splashed a front paw against the little current. "Good! Because I want to check out that other mountain called Silvertip." He jerked his nose its way at the mention. "Alya's told me about it, and that there's other stuff past there of course." He'd seen the valleys and such trailing his sisters and creeping a little on his own, which was apparently helpful in making him more confident on being able to get them there. At least it was always easy to get back to Moonspear when he was done wandering. "Or we could go west, the way I've never gone before..." he offered too, just for the spice of choices. He'd considered it.. but never went--not yet ready for that much unknown by himself, really. She might not be either.
288 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Vela sounded a snort as her brother talked about Drogon. It felt silly now, her girl crush on him. He didn't seem so great anymore as what she thought of him before, sadly. "Don't be. I don't have time to be sad over him, and you shouldn't be for me either," she commented. She then offered him a rare smile. "But that was sweet, thanks," she added. She was very rational instead of emotional. She could only agree 100% with her brother on that fact. He didn't belong on the mountain and after a while it started to show.

"Oh interesting!," she sounded when her brother started to explain the new territories. "Well, if I am really honest I don't want to see another mountain. I want to see other lands. This unknown in the west sounds awesome!," she spoke, sounding excited. She had not been in the west either. She hadn't really been anywhere. "Daddy still promised us to go to the beach remember," she then spoke. She slowly had a bit of a frown on her face. "You think he will keep that promise?"
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Despite his clunky efforts at anything helpful, she took them very well and even saw fit to thank him for it--a bit to his surprise, but he grinned back fleetingly all the same. "Well I won't then," he replied, plenty pleased that she was handling it so well. No use in wasting effort in being sad for her if she wasn't that sad about him--Jarilo had just thought it had seemed like more importance to her considering how much time they spent together, but really, he knew better than to expect less from any of his sisters.

Such aside, she took well to his suggestion, and also took the more daring route. He curved a new smirk, as she would meet no resistance from him. "West it is," he said and dipped his nose to match the finality of the decision. As for what would await--well who knew. They'd figure it out. He trusted they would because if he could make do close to the mountain alone, together his assurances were doubled at least. He would preface with hints from his older sisters and maybe parents, sure, but that was standard for him, and Jarilo was confident going into it--so that had to count for something. "I have no idea what's over that way but we can find out," he said. "We don't have to go right away, but soon.." Another thing to figure out later.. he'd know when the time was right.

When she brought up their father's beach trip, the yearling Ostrega nodded. "I think he will," he reasoned, though his expression shrunk thoughtfully. He had been busy with the pups lately--and the son knew how taxing trying to corral them was. Puppies were a lot of work. "I don't think he's had much time for beach trips lately. Maybe soon," he said, trying to be hopeful as he flashed his sister a look, but soon was a reoccurring theme, and summer wasn't endless. "I did find out from a scout that came near here when I was patrolling that some pack is claiming that Stavanger Bay place now.. so we can't even visit there exactly without dealing with that," he gestured vaguely, frowning.
288 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Vela dipped her head when they decided that they were going to head West. She was eager to explore it now since Jarilo would be joining her. "But then we can find out together." Perhaps they can make it a mission and help their pack with it in some way. Since everything was unknown it would probably only be after their scouting trip that they would know if there was something useful for Moonspear pack. Otherwise, they would just have fun. She realized she never really did something to just have fun.

"I hope so,' she agreed with him. She would like to believe that her father would keep to his promises. Then came the news that there was a pack now, settled where her father once lived. That was disappointing. She hoped to see the land better and get the know her father more as he was when he was younger. But that might not be the case then. "Well, I hope they disbanded or relocated by now," she stated. But she saw that as least likely, as they never moved with Moonspear either. She wouldn't even want to move away from the mountain.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
Together. While they had never been the kind of seamless unison their older sisters were, Jarilo was feeling excited about these fresh new plans that the two of them could undertake soon. "Yup, it'll be good," he affirmed with bright eyes, sensing so easily that they both had something to gain from venturing out. Hopefully that pack would keep it together in the meantime with them both gone, but the yearling had plenty of faith that no one would miss them that badly for a little while.

As for the pack on Stavanger, Jarilo shared that sentiment too with an appropriate eyeroll. "Psh probably. Mom said before most packs don't last.." he mentioned just before he rose from the waters, dripping and significantly cooler than moments earlier. All this talk about going and doing had his busybody showing. "And she didn't seem too concerned about it either..." he mentioned from when he had relayed the piece of info to her, and he took her opinion well to heart; she had been around a lot longer than any of them, after all. "Anyway.. you hungry?" he asked.
288 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Vela perked up her ears when her brother spoke about most packs not making it. What would a wolf do when a pack failed to exist? Interesting. Clearly, that would never happen to them as they were a true family unit. They were Ostrega's and no one would break them apart. She was certain. They were strong wolves. "Clearly because they are not a family pack like ours," Vela stated arrogantly. She was an avid fan of Moonspear and how their pack thrived. At least, in Vela's eyes, it did.

She nodded and pushed herself to her feet. She was dripping with cool water as well. The cold mountain water rushed down her legs or dripped down. She shook out her coat. "Yes, what did you have in mind?" Vela was then reminded of that weird meal Andalusia gave her. "By the way, did you meet this new pack wolf that is apparently family? She is called Andalusia," Vela spoke, she wondered what her brother's opinion was on her.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
The dark furred boy snickered. "Yeah you're probably right," since low and behold, he had learned early on to trust his family best and first secondhand through what he saw the others go through. If the rest failed, it was obviously of no consequence to him either. So long as his and their own were well, what else?

As for what was on his mind: "Frogs, actually." he smirked all too easily, and was ready to assume she was keen to track critters like that. "But no I haven't really to be honest, I've just seen her around and stuff," he recounted. "Have you?" he guessed she had, based on this little bit alone. Jarilo had assumed she was good and all, if she was family (however it was that she.. was) and worthy their home in the first place.
288 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Vela scrunched up her nose when her brother suggested frogs. She rather had some red meats instead of frogs. It had been a long time since she ate them. "I haven't eaten them in a while," she spoke but that didn't mean she felt like she wanted to eat them, like now. "But I guess they are easy to hunt," she groaned. Not feeling entirely delighted with the idea.

"Well it is good you have seen her around. That means she is at least sticking to the pack. I talked to her and told her that she better stay loyal to Moonspear or else," Vela spoke with a proud nod. Family or not, Vela was intended on keeping these new additions so their pack would keep a healthy number of wolves. "She seemed alright," she added.
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
When Vela seemed roughly on board to the idea of frogs, he was quick to turn towards the focus needed for it. "True, true, I've just had a need," he clicked his teeth, glad they were easy to come by so long as there was water around. As for the other foreign Ostrega, Jarilo simply had more questions than any answers, but he would probably run into her soon.

At least it sounded like Vela was upfront with what mattered to them here right now, and that just so happened to be a wolf that even their family could trust. "That's good though. She seem promising? Think she will?" he asked, trusting that his littermate's judgements would never be all too generous, especially not with not knowing her well, or for all that long.
288 Posts
Ooc — MAR
Vela grinned at her brother. "You sound like our mother when she was carrying her latest litter," she teased her brother as he said that he had a need for frogs. Not that their mother had a need for frogs as well but sometimes there were moments that she had been picky, at least, that was how Vela felt about it.

Vela agreed. "Time will tell though," she spoke. "Now, we should get those frogs," she spoke and got up from the cool water. The summer heat didn't seem to bad anymore now her fur was wet and cool. "You lead the way."

Fade after you rpost? :D
677 Posts
Ooc —
Guardian
Ecologist
He scoffed and rolled his eyes, though he knew her jab at him wasn't unjust, so he took it in stride--like it or not. When he didn't immediately have a spicy retaliation on his tongue, he let it go. Any comparison between him and his mom was kind of enough to derail his humor for a bit evidently, especially on an empty stomach, so Vela got that one definitely. He was more keen to look ahead to frogs, so that was exactly what he did.

Springing onward to take the lead, he would find them a good spot soon.