Dawnlark Plains couldn't get no silver, couldn't get no gold
303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
Private 
Sunny was back. He hadn't had the chance to talk to the young man one-on-one just yet, though he'd seen him around the den where his new cousins rested, still nursing away ferociously. They were growing well, but the fear of things going belly-up was ever-present in the back of his mind. That the number of hunters in Morningside had dwindled so much frightened him, and he spent most of his time hunting these days; consequently, he had no time for conversation with anyone save his mate.

But it had to be done. Shale had not yet apologized for his behavior in the wake of Grayday's death, not to Sunny. It had been more than a moon since his nephew had left in the wake of Shale's manic, crazed state, and now that things had settled, it was time to make amends. Especially if they were to hunt together--you had to trust the wolves by your side, and he needed to make sure Sunny knew that he wasn't crazy. Not anymore.

The pups had restored him, brought to him a spark that had been missing since his last litter had died. Not that they were a replacement for the children he had lost--how could they be? No, they were perfect as they were, in their own way, separate entities from the quartet that had come before. He was so in love with them, so in love with being a father again that sometimes he thought his heart might burst when looking at them. For all the stress that came from keeping a family happy and fed, the tender little moments with his mate and pups made it all worth it.

But for all that perfection, it could be even better. That was why Shale wandered the plains now, letting out a low, crooning call for @Sunny, hoping that all could be forgiven, even if it took a little time.
1,015 Posts
Ooc — Jay
Sunny had been practicing his newly aquired skills of fishing in a nearby stream when Shale's call went up. He had only managed to catch one single fish by then but he waded out of the water immediately. The first thing that came to mind was that Shale was mad at him, for how he had acted when dad died. It never occurred to him that Shale may be thinking the same thing, Sunny hadn't really given Shale's behavior a second though only taking it to be somewhat normal to snap like that. After all, Shale had lost a lot too. 

Picking up the fish he hurried to where Shale had called from and moved closer, tail low and giving a few nervous jerks between his legs as he dropped the fish and gave a chuff of greeting. "Hiya Uncle Shale!" he greeted with nervous cheer, eyes meeting his Uncle's and searching for any signs of anger or disappointment.
Birdcatcher: 4/10

303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
A smile came to his face at Sunny's joy; it appeared as though the boy held no grudge against him. Instead, his nephew looked, to his astonishment, slightly guilty, and his ears swiveled in confusion, but he left it for later. "Hey, Sunny," Shale said warmly, nudging his shoulder in an affectionate gesture of greeting. "Good to have you back with us." He nodded down at the fish. "Nice catch," he added. A little flattery never hurt, right?

Without much fanfare, he continued. "I want to apologize for the way I acted after your father died," he said, his voice grave. "Grief overcame me, but it was stupid and selfish of me to go off like that. I hope I can earn your forgiveness." He took a deep breath that stretched his ribs, letting it out in a long sigh, staring anxiously at Sunny as he awaited his response.
1,015 Posts
Ooc — Jay
Sunny leaned into his Uncle's affectionate touch, his eyes closing for a moment. It almost felt similar to how his dad would greet him. Instead of hurting, that thought brought him a small bit of peace. He looked down at the fish and smiled, proud that it had been noticed "Thanks, a really nice woman taught me how to fish properly" he said. The conversation quickly moved toward a serious subject and Sunny couldn't help but look stunned.

"M...My forgiveness?" he repeated slowly, blinking once before shaking his head and letting out a long sigh. "I wanted to apologise for the same thing. Dad...he was the closest one to me but I lost it, it just...overwhelmed me and I went off. I acted like a kid and hurt Dawn and was sent off. I should have tried to help everyone, I should have been there for you Uncle Shale.

Sunny paused for a moment, looking at him with guilt. He lowered his haunches to the ground and took a breath. "He was your brother, you grew up with him. That's ...that's even more special than me being his son in a way. I should have comforted you." he didn't feel like Shale should apologise because in his eyes Shale didn't do anything wrong. They both had lost their heads after dad died, maybe unhealthy coping was a family thing too.
Birdcatcher: 4/10

303 Posts
Ooc — mercury
"Oh, Sunny," Shale sighed, shaking his head. All that and he felt even more guilty than before, after his nephew was finished speaking. He closed his eyes, taking a deep inhale through his nostrils. Reliving that terrible day, moment by moment. "I'm a man of more than 20 seasons. You didn't need to take care of me--nobody does, save for probably Pema, bless her heart."

He gazed at Sunny once more, smiling sadly. "I lost my head," Shale continued, voice bleak. "And so did you. We both didn't do so well, with your Dad dying. But you don't need to apologize for anything, to me. I promise."

The man drew close to his nephew, pressing his muzzle gently, briefly, against the gray-clad shoulder before stepping back again, tilting his head in inquiry. "Are we okay?" he asked. No matter what he did, the shame would not leave his voice. But perhaps it would fade with time. That's what they said, anyway--that time healed all wounds.