Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Private 
@Uki - sorry for the wait!

By mid-day it had become so hot that Wraen gave up further attempts at hunting in the meadow and sought respite in the tall grass. From experience she knew that any journey worth making now would be to the nearest forest, because the sun and heat was particularly violent on the rocky mountain path that led back to Sunspire.

She made herself a comfortable bed by turning around three times thus flattening grass and lied down. A content sigh escaped her lips - this really felt good. And few sleepy blinks later with colorful dream images before her half-closed eyes, she began to doze off.
146 Posts
Ooc —
sorry for the wait on this! I assume this after her group moved on from the area, let me know if I need to edit
The tundrian found herself looping back occasionally in their travels. It had come to her knowledge that the Ateneq family had basically crept from their pack's land as everyone slept. Uki didn't ask why they'd run but she did ensure they weren't being followed by heading back and checking for any suspicious characters.

It was on one such occasion that she looped back only to find a girl - a southerner by her guess - sleeping in the grass. She chuffed, body language guarded but neutral, to catch her attention - wondering why the girl would think it wise to sleep out in the open.
"And you're tired of not being strong."
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Perhaps after being beaten by a total stranger a week or so ago, lying in the tall grass out in the open to have some rest, was not a particularly smart idea. But Wraen reasoned that she was fully responsible for her getting into that fight in the first place and, if she avoided approaching and taking someone else's dinners, she would be better of. 

Maybe she was wrong, because after a half an hour of a nap she was awoken by a chuff not far off, intended to wake her up. Wraen was startled, but was smart enough not to give it right away. She lifted her head first, then got to her feet without much haste and stretched thoroughly. Often keeping a nonchalant attitude and, as well as a pretence that the other person had neither surprised her, nor scared her helped. 

"Yes? Anything you wanted?" she asked in a polite curiousity, her body language mirroring the other wolf's.
146 Posts
Ooc —
The facade might have impressed another but the spearwife watched with expressionless eyes as the girl slowly shifted and stretched her way to her feet. Uki likely wouldn't have been so leisurely, it was always safer to assume that strangers were foe before friend, but she kept this to herself (largely because she didn't speak English or speak much at all). 

The girl's light tone and polite words fall on, what might as well be, deaf ears. There's a twitch to the ragged things perched on her head, the only outward sign she's listening. Finally, the waif gives a single, curt shake of her head. Her lips part as if to say something, before she remembers that the southerner doesn't speak her tongue, before shaking her head again.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
There had been hardly any occasions in Wraen's life, when she had had to deal with a person, who did not understand, what she was saying. Either because of a different language, or simply being mute. So - when the stranger did not reply immediately - she thought that perhaps the other was a tad bit slow and that she should simply give enough time to come up with a proper answer. Few minutes of expectant silence later, it was clear that she would not gain anything else from the person, and that it would be up to her to get the one-sided conversation going. 

"Not much of a talker, eh?" she asked as much as stated an obvious fact to herself. "I am Wraen," she introduced herself, hoping that she would be able to squeeze out at least a name from the other.
146 Posts
Ooc —
"I don't understand," she said, as she found herself always saying in the presence of southerners. The string of words that had come before were unintelligible and without much context, the girl could have been saying anything. 

"Uki," she offers her name much as she did to Siarut, the only name she's had in the only tongue she's known. It's obvious she doesn't quite know what to say from there, scuffing a single pale paw through the dirt idly.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"Oh, now that is a pickle," Wraen said slowly, realizing that she had a problem now. How did two people, who did not speak a common tongue, communicate? With all the wealth of words and need to chatter on her side and the silent and definitely very confused "do not understand a word" on the other?

She hoped that "Uki" was the other's name and not some three-word very meaningful word that expressed either suggestion or a threat. Questions - at least - were easy to differentiate from the rest, because they sounded differently. 

But now to the awkward part - since she did not know, how to continue from this point on, she sat in silence, eyeing the stranger hopefully and warily at the same time, shuffling her feet, swallowing and sighing now and then. The easiest thing would be getting up and leaving on the spot, but that would not be polite, would it?
146 Posts
Ooc —
She'd attempted communication with other before who did not speak her language. Not much was usually understood but some key concepts appeared to get across, at the very least they could understand what the other person was trying to say. This woman, however, didn't appear to want to communicate beyond realizing that Uki didn't speak English. 

When her name was met with silence and stares, the spearwife assumed that Wraen didn't want to talk and turned, loping back the way she came.
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Well, the stranger made things easy for her - the other wolf probably thought that things were just as strange and awkward and without another word (pun intended) turned around and left. Wraen looked after the wolf, until it disappeared over the hills (figurative speech), then got up herself and returned to Sunspire.