Mount Apikuni I'm the narrator, and this is just the prologue.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
All Welcome 
AW, but preferably any of the NSV recruits so Kavik can get to know them better. :)

As night settled over their group, Kavik began to feel a little restless with his thoughts. He had been resting near Liri and after letting her know he was going to patrol, he stood up and headed into the trees. He really was going to patrol, but mostly he wanted some time away from the noise of the group to think.

Their group had grown considerably since they first started their journey, and he was glad for that, but with each added member, the pressure of keeping them all safe increased. He thought his anxieties would decrease as the amount of group members increased, but it seemed like they had just shifted into all new worries. He tried to keep most of it to himself in an attempt to protect his mate; she had enough to worry about without having to be concerned with how he was feeling. Although, he wasn't sure he could hide much from his healer. 

Completely absorbed in thought, Kavik moved through the trees, his inky black fur blending in with the darkness the night provided. Occasionally, he would slow his pace to inspect a scent or sound, but he would soon pick back up and continue moving through the forest like a giant shadow.
I'm no good without you
We all eat lies when our hearts are hungry...
365 Posts
Ooc — AMA102
Elixir was continuing her adventure of exploring the forest that they had stopped at. It was interesting. It wasn’t like any other forest she had come across, like what forest is on a mountain? The wolfdog padded through looking up at the dancing stars that dared peak through the foliage provided by the tall trees. A smile spread across her face. 

She caught scent of someone familiar and let out a small soft bark so they would know she was there. When she looked around she couldn’t see another wolf and in her mind wondered if it was the forest playing tricks on her. The ebony woman stopped dead in her tracks, hoping it was the opposite of what she thought it was. An uncontrollable like teeth chatter started as she looked around and still couldn’t see anything. This has happened before, ironically.
[Image: galaxy-th.png]See the good [Image: galaxy-th.png]
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Kavik scented Elixir nearby and briefly slowed his pace as her bark reached his ears. He came to a stop as he saw her in the distance, but she didn't appear to be able to see him. He watched her curiously as she grew nervous. She certainly was strange, Kavik thought. 

Not wanting to cause the woman anymore distress, Kavik walked out from the shadows. It's just me, Elixir. No need to be scared. He came to a stop in front her her and took a seat. He hadn't had much interaction with the wolfdog; not because he had been avoiding her or anything, but because he was a busy man. He still had some reservations about Elixir, but his mate's fondness of the female had softened him to her a little. She seemed nice enough and had traveled this far with them in one piece; that definitely earned her some points. 

Out for a walk? Kavik asked. He didn't particularly think it was safe for Elixir to be wandering around on her own in the dark, but she was an adult and there were plenty of them around to come to her aid if needed.
I'm no good without you
365 Posts
Ooc — AMA102
Elixir was relieved when Kavik came out of the shadows and revealed his dark fur that seemingly blended in with the night. A warm smile painted her face as he said not to worry it was just him. “That’s happened to me before, maybe I should be less scared. “ she chuckled a bit to lighten the mood. 

It was the first time she had ever had an interaction with Kavik. A slight dip of her head was a respectful greeting to him. When he asked if she was out for a walk she nodded, “Something like that, I’m a night owl I guess. The stars call me. Every night I just find the best view I can to see them and then watch them for hours.” She informed him of her nightly routine, if they were going to be packmates she might as well tell him her hobbies. “Are you out for a walk ?Or do the stars call you as well?” Her tail was wagging slowly back and forth a bit excited.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Barely registering her laugh, Kavik gave the wolfdog a concerned look after her explanation. What has happened to you before? he asked.

Elixir began talking about the stars and how she liked to study them. He had never thought much about the stars, always too busy with what was happening on the ground. At her question, he sat down and answered, I was just patrolling before I turned in for the night. That was his nightly routine. He wasn't able to rest until he had done a quick run around their immediate area to check for danger. His green gaze studied her for a minute. Do you know a lot about the stars? Kavik asked curiously. If she studied them every night, she had to be pretty knowledgeable about them
I'm no good without you
365 Posts
Ooc — AMA102
Elixir took blinked a bit before taking a seat herself on the cool dirt. “Being scared when it was just a wolf in the shadows, given I didn’t know the last one. “ she told him briefly about her encounter with Wraen. Thinking back it was a bit creepy the way she hid in the shadows, unlike Kavik who wasn’t doing it on purpose. 

The wolfdog nodded slightly, “I guess it is your job now to keep us safe, especially Liri. “. As he asked about the stars her head shifted up to the darkened canvas with painted glitter across it. “I know a bit about them, I once met a wolf not too long ago on my birthday who told me about them. Names and such. I know most of the constellations too.” Her eyes seemed to glow looking at the sky that she loved so dearly. 

It’s just interesting to me what all you can know about them. I can even use them to tell me directions and what not.” She realized she might be babbling on about something he wasn’t interested in and cut herself off. The wolfdog returned her head forward so she could engage her eyes in the conversation as well. Her face was still warm with welcome.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Kavik nodded. Liri's safety is very important to me, but so is the safety of everyone else, he said firmly. Liri was his mate, which meant she came first, but that didn't mean the safety of the group was any less important to him. The more they traveled together, the more he felt responsible for everyone.

Kavik looked between the sky and Elxir a few times before asking, How do you use the stars to tell you direction? He was genuinely curious. He always used scent and other visual markers to help him know where to go but had never considered that the stars could offer that information as well.
I'm no good without you
365 Posts
Ooc — AMA102
Elixir understood what he said, Liri was his mate and obviously was important but since they made a commitment to this band of wolves he also had them to worry about. “I understand.” She said genuinely.

As he asked about the stars she couldn’t contain herself. It was just a passion she had had since she was able to see it after her release. Every night that was where she could be found, someplace that was close to the stars. “Well if you find the two stars that start the bigger side of the Big Dipper, which is a constellation that humans say look like a spoon or something....” she said motioning her head up to the sky in particularly in one place. In that place was the bigger dipper and if he could pick out the first two stars he would be good. “Then straight out from those two would be the Northstar, and it’s the biggest and brightest in the sky. It’s at the edge of the smaller dipper. That alone can help you with your location with where it is in the sky.” She said motioning everything with her nose as she talked. 

After explaining she looked down at Kavik, wondering if she did a well enough job explaining. The moon and stars was something that she was very intrigued with and would most likely learn about for the rest of her life. Hopefully, she could one day pass it down to her children and grandchildren but she wasn’t about to count on what the future had in store for her.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Kavik listened intently and nodded as Elixir told him how he could find and use the north star to tell what direction he was heading; it seemed straight forward enough, at least the way she explained it. He would definitely commit it to memory in the event he ever need the information in the future. He was honestly surprised that the stars had so much use and information. 

Keeping his gaze on the sky, Kavik then asked, What are some of your favorite constellations? Maybe she had some good stories to go a long with her answer. This was turning out to be a welcomed distraction from his anxious thoughts, and he wanted to keep it going a little longer.
I'm no good without you
365 Posts
Ooc — AMA102
Elixir kept her smile as he asked her the question of her favorite constellations. It was a hard question for her, she loved them all. Her fireball eyes returned to the sky picking a few out and then thinking for a moment. “I’m not sure I have a favorite though I do like the way Cassiopeia looks sort of like a bird flapping its wings.” She said as she motioned with her head where it was. 

She was glad she had run into Kavik tonight to talk about the stars. It seemed that he was interested in the conversation also which was good. “Although it’s not a constellation I love the moon, it shines so bright and can light the way if you find yourself in a dark place.” It was true she did love the moon but the last part was sort of wisdom more than a realistic thing that would happen.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Kavik agreed with Elixir about the moon; he was always glad for the light it provided. His current state of mind usually kept him up at night, and so he was thankful for the moon's brightness as he did his nightly patrols. I am also fond of the moon, Kavik replied with a nod of his head.

He was intrigued by the constellation she had mentioned. It had a pretty name, and it was nice to be able to attach that name to something in the sky. Kavik looked back to where she had pointed it out and asked, Why is that constellation called Cassiopeia? He thought there was probably a reason for naming a star; maybe some kind of interesting story or something.
I'm no good without you
365 Posts
Ooc — AMA102
Elixir smiled when Kavik said he was fond of the moon. It was nice someone else had loved its beauty as well. She scanned the stars just taking it in for a moment before letting herself be indulged in the conversation again. Why is it called Cassiopeia?, Elixir furrowed her brow wondering if she had ever really learned why. 

I don’t think I’d ever learned why, but there has to be a reason right? I mean there’s a reason we’re all named something. Even if it is just a name. “ she said as her brain thought about it. I mean her name meant a potion to prolong life and she understood why her mother would name her that after where she came from. She would have to check into what Cassiopeia meant and get back to him about it.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Kavik nodded at Elixir's statement. He supposed there was a reason they were all named what they were named. He looked up at the stars and wondered about the names of the other constellations. His green gaze moved back to the wolfdog before he asked, What about other constellations? Are there any that have an interesting story behind their name? Kavik asked curiously. He figured she probably knew at least one if she studied the stars so much. 

As intrigued as he currently was by what she had to say about the stars, he knew stargazing was not a hobby he could really entertain regularly. It was nice to take a break tonight and discuss the night sky with Elixir, though.
I'm no good without you
365 Posts
Ooc — AMA102
Elixir thought about it for a few moments, racking her brain for what she knew about the constellations. She knew a lot and stories were there but she didn't know many about the constellations themselves just yet. After a moment her paw went in the air pointing to a certain constellation that most think look like an eagle. "That one is Aquila or The Eagle. A story about that one that I was told a while ago was that it was a greek gods bird the keeper of his lightning bolts. He also could bring rain, not sure if it's true but I'd like to think there is a reason behind it being called The Eagle." she said looking up to where her paw was pointing then back at Kavik to see if he was following her.

Her heart was happy talking about the night sky, this was her thing no one could ever take that from her, only learn from her or teach her more. A happy sigh left her before she lowered her paw and then looked around to see if there were any others that she could tell him about. She pointed to one excitedly as her eyes laid their sight on it. "See that one, the one that looks like a poorly drawn one of us?" she asked softly.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Kavik listened quietly and looked in the direction Elixir pointed as she told him the story behind the constellation named Aquila, an eagle that belonged to a greek god. He nodded when she looked to see if he had been able to tell where she was pointing out the grouping of stars.

Kavik could tell this was something Elixir was passionate about, and he was glad to give her a chance to talk about it. When she pointed out another area in the night sky, he searched for a minute before his emerald gaze found the stars that appeared to be in the shape of a wolf. He nodded and asked, What is that one called?
I'm no good without you
365 Posts
Ooc — AMA102
Elixir smiled as he asked what it was called, “That one is called Canis Major or the Great Dog probably because of the shape but it does have a story.” She said softly nodding. The story was one she heard from an old wolf. The old wolf was one she met before she wandered to Teekon, the man was wise but sick and let her take shelter while he looked after her. She often wonders if he ever got better or if he had passed but that was her past and this was her future. 

It was said that the dog was a hunting dog for a God called Orion, and when one day he and his dog were out hunting they were both stung by a scorpion. After they passed they were both put up in the stars.” Her eyes squinted because she had never been able to find Orion before. Maybe the story was a lie but she would never know. It would be a story she would always pass on from the man who had helped her. The ebony female looked at Kavik and smiled a bit.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Kavik listened quietly while Elixir told him the story of Canis Major. He looked up at the grouping of stars as he thought about what Elixir had just told him. It was odd to think about hunting for a human. He had never met one, but he was sure he would never hunt for one; he hunted for himself and for those he cared about. The story was interesting, though, and he was glad to have learned something he didn't know before. 

Thank you, Elixir, Kavik said, turning his gaze back to the wolfdog. You have helped me take my mind off things tonight, he added with a bow of his head. With the size of their group growing considerably recently, he was under a lot of pressure to keep them safe and cared for. He knew he wasn't solely responsible for everyone's well-being, but as one of the alphas of their budding pack, he couldn't help but see the needs of the group as his own needs as well.
I'm no good without you
365 Posts
Ooc — AMA102
Elixir smiled and nodded at Kavik. It was helpful for her to be able to share some of her knowledge. She didn’t know much about some things but plants and stars were her big things. “Thank you for letting me tell you, not many people are willing to let me share with them.” She said softly and genuinely. 

I’m glad to have taken your mind off things, it seems as though running a pack can have you on edge. Sometimes you just gotta take a load off.” She suggested for future reference. She smiled at him one last time before she stretched out her legs and let out a yawn. It was getting late and they both should go to sleep for they had a long journey when the time comes.
963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Kavik nodded at Elixir. You're correct. I should remember to do that more often, he said rising to his feet with a stretch as well. And you're always welcome to talk to me about the stars or anything else that might be on your mind, he added as he made to head back to camp. He wanted all of his pack members to feel free to talk to him about anything. Kavik wanted to lead with respect and trust, not fear. 

Elixir was right, it was getting late, and he wanted to take his place next to his mate and attempt to get some sleep.
I'm no good without you
365 Posts
Ooc — AMA102
Elixir smiled lightly and nodded. Kavik seemed like a respectable leader and hoped that when they settled somewhere it would take some weight off his shoulders. Hopefully... but it was unlikely as getting a pack off the ground and running was usually a full-time job. With that thought she headed away the other direction to a rock she had found a few nights before. It was away from the pack but close enough to where if she was hurt or the pack was she would be able to hear them or them hear her.