Meadowlark Prairie Just because they're adorable doesn't mean you can let them get fat
† The Overlord of Ice †
37 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
Private 
For @Speedy!

Gundham decided to follow the herd of elk as they traveled northwards, wondering where they would end up. Distinct chirping filled his ears, and he recognized the calls as that of the western meadowlark. Looking where the grass was short, he found several eating grass seeds and insects. He had no intentions of disturbing them, giving the birds a wide berth and remaining cloaked in the tall grass. A small structure then caught his eye: a nest on the ground with meadowlark hatchlings in it. Gundham took note of its interesting dome shape, shielding the young from the elements and providing them with shade.

Oliver seemed keenly interested in the hatchlings, tongue flicking to taste their scent before slithering down off of Gundham. He quickly noticed this and sighed. You hunger for the innocent, Oliver? Fine... He murmured a bit dejectedly. Well, he'd studied the tiny creatures enough. Fortunately, serpents required little food. Gundham watched his companion slither towards the unguarded nest, slipping into it easily. Being a constrictor, the yellow-bellied racer grabbed hold of a young bird and began to wrap his body around it, restricting airflow until it finally suffocated. Then, he started to consume it whole, starting with the head. It was fascinating, yet morbid, like all of nature.

The dark lord lowered himself into a lying position as he kept a watchful eye on the serpent. It would take Oliver a while to consume his meal. In that time, he was left vulnerable. Gundham was fine with waiting, though the sight reminded him that he would need to catch himself something substantial soon.
Open Sesame, Pandemonium! I shall fill Hell with true hell!

English | Japanese
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Speedy loved the summer here; it wasn't nearly as warm as where she was from, although she didn't mind the heat so much. But here, the summer weather had been very enjoyable. The winter would be hard for her though. She was small and had thin coat that wouldn't offer her much protection from the winter weather. She figured she should probably find a place to settle before the weather got too cold, but the thought made her cringe. She liked being on the move and doing whatever she felt like doing. Perhaps her most favorite part about being a wanderer was getting to meet new wolves all the time--something that would not happen as often if she were confined to a pack territory. 

These thoughts moved through her mind as she walked through the tall, green grass on the outside of the meadow, liking how soft the grass felt as it brushed against her fur. She stayed some distance from the herd of elk she had noticed when she first got here, not wanting to spook them. They're scent was very enticing, but there was no way she could take one down on her own. Speedy's prey of choice were birds and rabbits. This grassland was full of meadowlarks, and she sometimes came here to hunt them. They really didn't offer much in in the way of nourishment, but one could hold her over for a little bit until she found something more substantial. 

She had found a group of meadowlarks near their nest and was about to crouch down into position when she noticed a snake eating one of the babies. Speedy froze halfway to the ground. She usually didn't mess with snakes, not wanting to find herself on her own with a potential venomous snake bite. She knew how to treat snake bites, but some venom, there was no cure for, and she wasn't looking to die. She didn't think this snake was dangerous, though, and she found herself somewhat interested in how he was devouring the little bird. Catching lunch temporarily forgotten, Speedy lied down in the grass and watched the snake curiously as he ate his meal.
† The Overlord of Ice †
37 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
The beast tamer waited for his underling to finish his meal before standing up and emerging from the grass. With gentle jaws as if meant for a child, Gundham lifted the snake and placed him on his back. The serpent loosely wrapped himself around his neck. There. I will ensure no harm befalls you while you digest, as always, He assured.

When he turned around, however, the scent of wolf hit him. It was in the grass, hiding. Were they planning a sneak attack?! Who goes there?! I sense your presence, fiend! Gundham warned, hackles raising as his muscles tensed, ready to take on the offender. Oliver was displeased with the noise but fortunately didn't regurgitate his meal. Fortunately, he'd long since adjusted to dealing with Gundham's outbursts.

English | Japanese
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Speedy watched as the snake finished his meal and slithered away. She was about to stand and find another good hunting spot when she was startled by the loud, frantic words of stranger. As she quickly got to her feet, she saw the male a short distance from her. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to alarm you, she said quietly, lowering her head a little. She wasn't entirely sure what a fiend was, but it sounded negative, and she was certain she wasn't one. She let it go, though, since arguing with the surprised stranger wouldn't really help deescalate things. He was downwind from her, which was why she hadn't scented him the entire she had been here, and the grass offered ample cover, especially since she had been lying down.

I was just watching your interesting friend, she added a second later when she noticed the snake around his neck. She offered him a shy smile following her words in an attempt to show she meant no harm to him or his friend.
† The Overlord of Ice †
37 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
The stranger got to her feet and apologized, smartly. He probably should, too. Gundham already appreciated that she knew not to upset a higher being such as himself. His posture relaxed, and he adopted a conversely collected, regal atmosphere. He was about to speak when she added how she had been watching his "interesting friend".

Ah yes, Oliver, He started, peering down at the snake. Serpents are intriguing creatures that few appreciate―you have good taste. Looking back to the woman, he wondered briefly if she were a demon beast tamer but found no companions among her, so that seemed unlikely. Pity. Still, her respect for Oliver was admirable.

English | Japanese
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
He seemed to relax at her apology, and so did she in response. She took a few slow steps toward him before sitting down and wrapping her tail around her legs. Smiling, she said I'm Speedy. She took a glance around the meadow after her introduction, seeing that the herd seemed to not have been disturbed by the male's outburst. 

She returned her yellow gaze to the stranger, the friendly smile returning to her face. Were you watching the herd? she asked lifting her head towards the elk as she talked. They come here a lot, but I'm lone and can't possibly take one down by myself, so I've always just watched them, Speedy added with a shrug. She didn't really mind too much. She enjoyed her little solo hunts, and she never had trouble finding something to eat around here. There was plenty of prey, especially for a petite wolf like herself; she was quick and didn't need to eat much to stay healthy.
† The Overlord of Ice †
37 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
The mortal introduced herself as "Speedy". What a strange name, he thought. Speedy offered him a friendly smile, and he returned a grin. I am Gundham Tanaka, Overlord of Ice! Came his dramatic introduction, chin up and tail held high.

"Were you watching this herd?" She asked, looking towards the beasts in question. "They come here a lot, but I'm lone and can't possibly take one down by myself, so I've always just watched them."

Gundham nodded and answered, Yes, for it is my self-assigned duty to keep tabs on all worldly life around me. Speedy already seemed far more... tolerable than the other woman he met just hours ago. She was also sensible enough to realize her own weakness as a mortal and wouldn't be asking him to take down an adult elk. He felt much more at ease, now.

English | Japanese
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Overlord of ice? Speedy asked with a raised eyebrow. What the hell did that mean? Was that some pack name he had acquired? He smelled lone, but he had probably belonged to a pack at some point. So far, she had decided he was a little strange, but oh well. Being strange never deterred her from making friends with someone; everyone was a little weird in some way.

She nodded at his answer. Why have you assigned yourself that duty? Speedy asked, tilting her head a little. Was he a tracker of sorts, she wondered. Maybe he kept tabs on them to hunt later when he had adequate help? She respected that. She never had much patience for tracking. She would rather just hunt things she could catch on her own and move on to something else.
† The Overlord of Ice †
37 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
She, like most mortals, was unaware of who he was. It was tiring to explain it so often, but he'd do it anyway. I am a dark lord above all other lords in the Underworld. Others tremble beneath my power! He boastfully explained.

Answering her second question, Gundham said, Because I tame demon beasts. To do so requires intricate knowledge of their behavior and needs. It also helps with hunting. He was certainly getting his fill of interviews today. Well, meeting a being of his status was an opportunity few got to experience, so he couldn't blame them. Perhaps Speedy learning of his power would even drive her away.

English | Japanese
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Eyebrow still raised, Speedy gave him a slow nod. I see, she said, trying her best to sound serious. She didn't want to anger the stranger that appeared to maybe not be all there. He hadn't made her tremble at all, but she decided not to point that out. 

She glanced at the elk when the strange male mentioned 'demon beasts.' These elk...are the demon beasts you speak of? she asked maybe a little incredulously. She couldn't help it. She couldn't be sure what demon beasts were, but she was fairly certain these elk were not them. He was right about the hunting part, though. Watching herds as they went about their routines gave you a lot of useful information that came in handy when hunting; it helped you better spot weaknesses and other things that could be used against the animals in a hunt.
† The Overlord of Ice †
37 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
Super short post, muse is dying a bit. :'^)

"I see," Said Speedy, to his relief. Finally, someone who accepted an explanation he gave.

She asked to confirm the elk were the demon beasts he spoke of, and he replied, All other creatures incapable of speech are demon beasts. Some may be tamed by beings such as myself. Gundham exuded an aura of pride as he spoke, and some of it had merit―he did have a way with other creatures, just not his own kind.

English | Japanese
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
No worries! <3

Speedy nodded at his answer before standing and moving to sit directly in front of him, a shy smile on her face. She gave him a teasing look and asked How do you know they're incapable of speech? Just because they didn't speak to wolves, didn't meant they couldn't speak to each other. She knew what he meant, of course, but he seemed so serious, and she wanted to chill him out a little. Usually a little bit of teasing achieved that for her. She tried not to take things too seriously but understood not everyone had that luxury; it didn't stop her from trying to lighten the mood, though. Maybe she could offer him a short reprise from whatever duties he had bestowed upon himself.
† The Overlord of Ice †
37 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
Speedy got even closer, which was... uncomfortable, to say the least. Then, oddly, she sat down in front of him with a playful, almost mischievous expression. Gundham took a step back, not wanting her to touch him. "How do you know they're incapable of speech?" She asked. She was trying to rile him. Well, that wasn't going to work!

Because even my closest companions are unable to communicate with me outside of body language, He explained legitimately but calmly with a turned head, eyeing her as she sat before him. His body was tense now, as he unfortunately could not mask the intense discomfort he felt when others were close to him.

English | Japanese
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Sensing his discomfort, Speedy stood and backed up a few steps before sitting back down. She wasn't offended; she was overly friendly and affectionate but understood some were the opposite. Sorry, she said softly, Sometimes, I forget that others aren't as okay with touch as I am, She added as she looked at Gundham apologetically. 

She smiled at him. So...Mr. Serious, do you do anything to relax or have fun? she asked with a curious raise of an eyebrow. She decided her nickname was perfect, and that she would think of him as that from now on.
† The Overlord of Ice †
37 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
She seemed genuine in her apology from her words and expression, so he decided to forgive her. You are forgiven, as it's for your own good you don't touch me, anyway, He lied replied. Speedy smiled at him, but he couldn't bring himself to return the gesture. Gundham's ears flattened at the nickname "Mr. Serious", which only heightened his irritation and anxiety, but he quickly recovered.

Nontheless, he would humor her and answer yet another question. I care for demon beasts because I enjoy them, though doing so is also a responsibility. If he were better at this whole socializing thing, he'd have asked her the same question, but he wasn't, so Gundham continued to stand stiff as a board.

English | Japanese
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Her brows furrowed in concern at his statement. She didn't quite understand why it was for her own good that she didn't touch him but decided not to push him any further on the subject, so she replied with a nod of acceptance and moved on.

She looked at him curiously when he said his idea of fun was also his responsibility. In Speedy's mind, fun and responsibility were not synonymous. By having fun, I mean something that is not also a job, she replied with a smile. She had an idea but wanted to feel him out first. She looked at him with playful mischief and asked, Would you want to play a game with me? She wasn't sure his answer would be yes, in fact, she was almost positive it would be no, but she would never know if she didn't ask.
† The Overlord of Ice †
37 Posts
Ooc — Sparx
He was surprised by how this Speedy wolf took everything he said in stride, but it was appreciated. "By having fun, I mean something that is not also a job," She said. Gundham didn't really find himself doing much outside of work to distract himself. It wasn't something that bothered him, as he enjoyed what he did―otherwise, he wouldn't do it.

She then asked if he wanted to play a game with another mischievous glint in her eye, and he warily quirked a brow at her. Being the rather serious wolf he was, Gundham wasn't one for games. Still, he was curious enough to consider it. What would this game be? He asked. If it were something too foolish, he wouldn't partake in it.

English | Japanese
836 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Medic
Eyes widening in surprise and excitement, Speedy stood up and said, Well, how about I go hide somewhere and you can try and find me? Then, You can hide, and I can try and find you? she answered, laying out the game for him. It wasn't too hard and definitely didn't involve touching. And I promise I won't touch you, she added for good measure. She wagged her tail and watched him excitedly, waiting to see if he would agree play with her. She hadn't even expected him to inquire about the game, so she wasn't sure he would actually agree to play it with her, but she hoped he did; it would be actual fun, and he appeared to need some of that in his life.