Firefly Glen shadows will scream that i'm alone
20 Posts
Ooc —
Away
The lord of the herd was not wholly ignorant of the creatures that spied him, for their scent was everywhere and his long snout was quite sensitive. He was aware that this was wolf country and so assumed that any deep scent he crossed as he ate was because of that, and not because they were drawn close. Certainly, Nechako was oblivious to the small bundle of dark fur that was Arcturus — the boy did a great job of hunkering down and keeping out of sight. Nechako's broad head was down among the greenery anyways. His ears were turning and trying to catch the sounds in the glen, his tail whisked to force some summer flies off his hide, but otherwise he was going about his own business.

When he grew tired of the taste this greenery gave him, Nechako raised his mighty head. He shook out his mane, and as the tendrils of hair along his neck settled back in to place, he took stock of his surroundings. It was then that he noticed a glint of pale white against a backdrop of deep greens, but it was far off. One glance, and his curiosity was raised, but the creature was still too distant to be a threat. He snorted softly to clear his nose of smells, and descended again to graze — his steps side-stepping the surreptitious child's hiding place in the process.

There was, after a few moments, a sound from his flank. It was also distant but with the slightest adjustment of his ears Nechako could at least estimate what it could be, and where it was going. It most certainly was not the wind. Any horse knew the wind well; the wind was the voice of the world, it was deified by his own people of the plains. He knew it well. The sounds did eventually stop and that was what made him partially lift his head again, take a step, and swing the mighty bough of his neck around so he could get a quick look; the wolf was concealing himself. He was young though, evidently as curious of Nechako as the lord was over this domain.

Then — beside him — just beneath his sun-touched cheek — his senses were overwhelmed by the musk of the predator. The sweet notes of meat, which churned his belly like a mighty river. Focus came to his eye, and he realized he was dangerously close to the young cub hidden in the grass; he huffed upon understanding, and his large eye trained upon Arcturus.
Messages In This Thread
shadows will scream that i'm alone - by Nechako - July 28, 2018, 08:08 PM
RE: shadows will scream that i'm alone - by Arcturus - July 28, 2018, 08:14 PM
RE: shadows will scream that i'm alone - by Charon - July 31, 2018, 01:37 AM
RE: shadows will scream that i'm alone - by Jarilo - July 31, 2018, 02:14 AM
RE: shadows will scream that i'm alone - by Nechako - July 31, 2018, 11:32 AM
RE: shadows will scream that i'm alone - by Arcturus - July 31, 2018, 12:12 PM
RE: shadows will scream that i'm alone - by Charon - August 02, 2018, 03:55 AM
RE: shadows will scream that i'm alone - by Jarilo - August 05, 2018, 01:14 AM
RE: shadows will scream that i'm alone - by Nechako - August 09, 2018, 05:23 PM
RE: shadows will scream that i'm alone - by Arcturus - August 10, 2018, 03:39 PM
RE: shadows will scream that i'm alone - by Charon - August 20, 2018, 07:33 AM
RE: shadows will scream that i'm alone - by Arcturus - August 23, 2018, 09:39 PM
RE: shadows will scream that i'm alone - by Jarilo - August 25, 2018, 08:42 PM
RE: shadows will scream that i'm alone - by Charon - August 28, 2018, 05:30 AM
RE: shadows will scream that i'm alone - by Arcturus - September 02, 2018, 09:55 AM