The Sunspire As close as strangers
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Private 
@Wraen
Rueger lifted his head from his forelegs and yawned himself awake before stretching out his muscles. He had been here a few days, but hadn't made a permanent place to sleep. So, he had found a spot at the base of a tree the night before. Not uncommon for him.

He lifted himself from the ground and quickly found a stream to quench his thirst before he made his way to the borders. His beeline was so straight that someone might assume he was leaving, but he turned abruptly when he reached them. He followed him, mixing his own scent in to increase the strength. His ears were perked and his eyes and nose kept a lookout for any signs that someone unwelcome was near.

My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.
~Maya Angelou
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Wraen's evening hunt had extended well into the night and by the time she had finished (with dissapointingly meagre results), she made a safe and soft bed in the tall grass of the Hoshor plains and had slept there. It had not been a particularly deep or refreshing sleep with always keeping one ear and eye open (figuratively speaking) for any sounds or sights of approaching danger, but it had given her time to replenish her energy. 

Morning had come and she had been able at least to hunt enough mice to keep her going for the day. And with a feeling that she needed to restore her energy within the safety of the Sunspire's borders, she returned home. She had heard from either Rannoch or Terance (both dealt with diplomatic stuff on the borders) that there were two newcomers, therefore seeing one unfamiliar figure lurking by the invisible fence was not entirely surprising. 

She approached the agouti male with a confident step and greeted him in a friendly manner as well: "Now yours is a face I have not seen around much. What name do you run by?"
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He spotted the grey female as she approached, and he made sure his stance was respectful to her and her rank. Her body language was confident, but she seemed friendly as she greeted him. He gave a grin, instantly liking her.

I'm Rueger, he responded easily. Newly added into your ranks, he explained. He figured she already knew that, or else she'd be attacking him right now instead of asking his name. I assume you are Wraen? he asked. He had met the Alpha and other Beta, and Wraen was supposed to be the last of the leadership he needed to introduce himself to.

My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.
~Maya Angelou
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
Rueger would learn later that Wraen was the one to flee from or go around the battle-field, if that was an option, because she would never attack a person, who was bigger and stronger than her, unless the circumstances were very dire. But not everyone had to know that. 

"Well, at this point I could spin a lie and tell you that I am not," Wraen replied with a sly grin, "but, since you guessed correctly, I have to ask you, what busted my cover? For future reference."
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
His grin intensified at her comeback, and he liked that she didn't lie to him. Rueger was an honest wolf, even when it hurt, and he didn't like wolves playing games with him. Wordplay, however, was definitely acceptable. If you were trying to cover yourself, you should have been less confident, he replied. Either you were a lower ranking wolf playing Beta, or you were the Beta, he added.

And I can't imagine it would go over well with leadership if one of their wolves was playing boss, he mused. He supposed she could still be lying, and playing the Beta. It would be easy enough to simply say, Yup, that's me. Rueger liked to think he read wolves well, and he wasn't reading lies coming from her.

~Maya Angelou
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"Yeah... becoming a good actress was a dream I never fulfilled. I can't pretend, even if my life was on stake," Wraen replied, chuckling. Well, she had "roleplayed" being the witch of the mountains or an evil dragon or a princess in distress etc., when she had been playing with her siblings or when she had been messing with other wolves for the fun of it, but most of them knew that it was a game and not an intentional thing to deceive them.

"Well, being a boss is quite a stressful thing - ever since I have been the left hand of the king, I have learned that most people are just too glad to have someone else take the responsibility," she said, thinking that there was hardly anyone, who was eager to be in the leadership. Maybe Treason, but that could be a false assumption. "So, what noble deeds or past demons brought you to our doorstep?" she asked.
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Rueger instantly disagreed with her statement, but wasn't as quick to say so. He didn't want to upset her, of course, but he also wasn't usually one to hold back. So, he choose his words wisely. You would be surprised what you are capable of when your life is on the line. His tone was light, to keep the air between them easy, but his words still had weight to them. Most thought they couldn't do anything, but when it came down to it, most wolves would do anything to save themselves from death.

He found himself agreeing with her next statement. Rueger wasn't sure if he was suited to leadership life, but he also didn't shy away from responsibility. Do you regret your position? he asked boldly, wondering if she would choose to let others take that responsibility, or if she liked taking it on.

She asked what brought him here, and he responded. I've been on my own a couple months now, and decided I'm tired of small game, he said honestly with a grin. My last pack had a change of leadership that I couldn't get on board with, he added, figuring that was something she might want to know. Rueger wasn't a disloyal wolf, but there were standards he lived by, and certain things he simply couldn't get behind.

~Maya Angelou
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"Oooh no, not at all," Wraen shook her head, though in reality she had never given much thought about her beta position. It was just like any other job - tepid water - neither was she ecstatic, nor she disliked it. In fact, at times she was surprised that she was at the top of the hierarchy at all, compared to her ambition-less youth just a year and a half ago. 

"Well, if you have got tired of a small game, then you came to the right place," Wraen joked, although the fact that the destroyed ecosystem of Sunspire was perfectly serious. "We go for big game nowadays - there are a lot of mouths to feed. And in the meanwhile each takes care of their own needs," she finished, giving Reuger an evaluating look then and considering him suitable for group hunts. They needed more life-force there. 

"Now that is interesting," she remarked, when he mentioned not getting along with the leadership. "And what particularly was that you did not like? For that I know, which rocks to avoid in the future."
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Rueger nodded, glad that she wanted her position as Beta. Of course, he didn't think anyone would be forced into that position, but one never knew.

He was glad to hear there was plenty of small game around, but he caught on to the way she said it. Does anyone hunt small game? he asked. He was interested in small game, as it had sustained him for a couple of months now, and he needed something bigger. I'll be sure to do my part, he promised. If he could sustain himself on the large prey, he could still hunt small prey for the others, too.

He wasn't surprised when she delved for more information. A lower ranking male won a fight with the Alpha male, he began. Just after taking over, he stopped looking out for the pack. Let a bunch of rogue wolves in that took over and said if we didn't hunt for them, he'd make us pay, he explained. I helped my pack get out and safe, and then moved on. He hadn't been a relative of any of the wolves, and with no strong ties, he had moved on looking for other opportunities.

~Maya Angelou
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"I have to clarify - at the moment there is very little small prey within Sunspire's boundaries, therefore if you are interested in it, you have to go outside. Plains down there at the foot of the mountain is a good place to start. And then - one day - if you are a very good little recruit, I will show you the passageway that leads down to the valley that it accross the mountain range," she added, so that the situation did not sound so grim. 

Then she listened to the brief recap of his biography with all the appropriate "ah"s and "wow"s in the right places and in the end she summed it all up with: "Your past sounds like taken from an action-packed legend. Well, if anyone wants to challenge either Rannoch or Terance, they are up for a tough competition. Take Terance for an example - all the scars on my brother's body - and there are plenty - tells of all the battles he has entered and walked away as a winner."
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He was surprised to hear that there was a shortage of small prey animals in the territory. Remember how many pups Rannoch said were in the pack, he wondered, Has it been a problem keeping the pups fed? Sometimes large prey could be harder to get, and when they were, wolves sustained themselves on smaller prey.

He couldn't help but grin at her good recruit comment. I promise, I'll be on my best behavior, he said smoothly. He would regardless, but he liked the word play insinuated. Plus, it would give him something to look forward to.

He nodded, I've met them both, he admitted. I certainly wouldn't want to be on their bad side. The pack was lucky to have two strong males leading the pack. No one would overturn them easily, especially if they fought together.

~Maya Angelou
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"And - while we are still on that topic - don't underestimate me either. I may not be much of a savage force of nature, but I have my own means, how to... settle things," Wraen added with another mischievous grin and chuckled. Just think that few moments ago she had declared of not being good at acting. And here she was - playing a bad-guy like a pro. Or so she thought.

"Anyway - did you get your lecture on pack history?" she changed the subject. "Or should I fill any gaps that you feel there are from the chat with Rannoch and Terance?"
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He nodded quickly at her warning. Oh, no worries there. I rarely underestimate anyone, he replied. Overestimate on the other hand... he trailed off, letting the sentence go. He supposed it was just as destructive, overestimating someone and thinking they would do more than they would. It hurt when it was on the friendly side and they didn't live up to expectations.

She mentioned pack history, and his head swayed side to side. We talked mostly of current happenings, he confessed. Not so much about history. Rueger, truth be told, was more interested in what was going on now, and what could happen, not what happened in the past. Still, there could be valuable information. But, I'd like to hear.

~Maya Angelou
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"Well "now" is definitely very important, but I have always considered that, where are you coming from, is also just as meaningful," Wraen replied, sensing that there was not too much enthusiasm from the other for very long stories, therefore she would have to keep her own short and straight to the point. 

"Rannoch and Terance mentioned perhaps that there are two packs in the valley we are not friends with? Moonspear and Blackfeather woods. The latter is located not too far from here, the other is all the way accross the lands - stands in a mountain range opposite from us," she explained. 

"Speaking of Blackfeather woods - they have a rather bad history and all kinds of rumours are going on, what creepy stuff they do within the forest of theirs. But the important thing is that one of their members attacked and tried to kill Rannoch last year and around the same time they also managed to make enemies with two other packs - Redhawks and Drageda - by kidnapping and torturing one of their members. There was a war between them, which ended in them bad wolves losing and the pack supposedly disbanding, but they reassembled and returned here after a while," so much about the dark wolves of the forest. The funny thing was that she still thought she had not met any of them, when - in fact - she had run into a pair and nothing bad had happened to her. 

"Moonspear is a pack that resides in the mountains opposite from us. Initially me, Terance, Rannoch and his wife Liffey were members of the group, but, when we decided to leave them and start a pack of our own, they took it very badly. Considered it as a betrayal and the last time I met their alpha by accident, there are still very sour feelings towards us. So - while we are not outright enemies, I suggest you take a big loop around that pack," she finished.
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He nodded, seeing her point. No argument there, he said with a side grin. While he wasn't much on history, he could understand why parts of it were important.

His ears swiveled as she spoke about their enemies. He agreed this was certainly something he needed to go. As a warrior, as a guardian, it was important to know who was able to be trusted and who wasn't. As he listened, he was brought back to his former pack. What she was saying about Blackfeather reminded him of them. It was an instant dislike of them, and he needed no more encourage than that to make sure that they didn't come near here. Noted, he said. Have they attempted anything since then? he asked, wondering if they might try to attack again.

Moonspear, it seemed, were sour because some of their pack mates decided to branch off to make a pack of their own. If they had been on good terms before then, he was a little confused on their decision to break away. It's interesting they didn't choose to have an ally in this pack, he mused. Knowing who leads it, knowing they came from them, I thought it'd be almost expected that you wouldn't be enemies. He silently wondered if that was all there was to the break. Was there something underlying that Wraen wasn't telling him? He wouldn't disrespect her by asking such a question, but it would be in the back of his mind.

~Maya Angelou
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"Not to us - to my knowledge they have been lying pretty low now, but it might be that between three packs this side of the valley is pretty big enough for us all," Wraen replied. Having never experienced any malice from them, she wondered now and then, whether they were just as bad as they had been painted. But then the scar on Rannoch's neck spoke for itself. If one of their members had been capable of murder, then how could one know that others weren't just as bad. 

"There was an attempt to leave on good terms," Wraen began slowly, though it was evident from her expression that this topic was still difficult for her to discuss. And as much as she wanted to tell that her former alpha was a self-centered madman, she realized that talking shit behind their backs did not tell anything good about her. Diplomacy was always the key, no matter, how you really felt. "But they did not want to have it. I think that it has to do with their philosophy - that, if you join, you stay there for life," she continued, not realizing that very soon she and the rest of the leaders would be put in Moonspear's shoes within few days. 

"Some things were said on both sides and I don't think that we will be able to fix it in this lifetime," she finished. "But I agree with you - having an ally instead of an enemy is always better."
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He was glad to hear Blackfeather hadn't tried anything since, but from what he had just heard, he wouldn't put it past them to do something in the future. Hope so, he commented. Her comment on the vast lands brought up a question. Those wolves we had that... lovely conversation with, he began. Any update on them? he asked.

He could understand her side of what happened. Sometimes, you just have to do what is right for you, he replied. Despite how it might upset others. How unhappy would they have been if they stayed just to make their Alpha happy? An unhappy follower wasn't a good follower at all.

~Maya Angelou
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"I haven't given them much thought, but, if there had been any trouble, I am sure either Treason or Terance would have informed me about it. They are very meticulous in, what they do," Wraen replied, wondering, if Rannoch had sent a "tail" for that pack to spy on, where they went and, whether they eventually settled down far enough for Sunspire's comfort. 

"That's true," she agreed. She had been of a different opinion previously, but she thought now that it would have great to still have friends in Moonspear wolves. Charon - despite all his flaws - had been her mother's friend after all. And - come to think of it - Hydra had been an admirable woman (even if Wraen did not wholly agree with everything she did) and sweet Gannet, and the best hunting companion - Dune. 

"So - I take that you are more of a warrior and guardian type, eh? Or I can tempt you with joining my hunting team," she kept the conversation going casually.
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
He nodded his understanding. Good to know, he responded. He was glad this pack had capable leaders, ones he could, and would, gladly follow. He still wondered where he would have ended up had he not decided to stop at their borders, but he was glad he did.

He nodded again to confirm her first assumption. I am a warrior, he replied, looking sideways at her. But, maybe you can tempt me, he added. He had kept himself alive alright on his own, and of course he wasn't against using what hunting skills he had for the pack. He thought about word playing with her, but it was below him to ask what was in it for him, even as a joke. He simply wasn't that selfish. So, instead, he stated, As long as it doesn't interfere with my main duties, I'd be happy to help out.

~Maya Angelou
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"Well, in that case I have to disappoint you, it will interfere with your main duties, but..." Wraen paused to muse for a bit, "...but come to think of it, as long as we are not at war with anyone, hunting will also be one of your main duties," 

"Anyway - now and then I will steal you away from the borders for some tracking work and checking the deer herds. One can do the latter alone, but it is safer, if there is backup," she offered. "And - you said you were good at small game - what exactly have you lived on and what is he biggest you have hunted either alone or in a group? Our pack record currently is held by Bernard - he managed to finish off an elk during one-on-one encounter."
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Inwardly, he was a little disappointed to hear that her hunting group would interfere with his patrolling, or that hunting would be one of his main duties. He had not mentioned that as a strength for a reason when joining. Sure, he had kept himself alive well enough, but it was not something he excelled at, and he was more inclined to leave it to those who did. Still, a good soldier did not tell a leader no. Note to self: start a war, he joked, shooting a side grin at the Beta.

His expression was kept neutral as she went on, except when she quoted him as having said he was good at small game. He couldn't recall having said that. He would have usually let that go, but she asked about his history with it. While I lived on it, it was by necessity, not by choice, he replied. I survived well enough on rabbits, coons, groundhogs and the like, but I wouldn't say I'm especially skilled at it, he explained. I've taken down a couple doe that were already injured. It had taken him a while to wear them out, but in the end had come out the victor. Impressive, he replied. Taking down an elk, even injured, would be incredibly difficult. Rueger was not competitive enough to take on the champ, so Bernar wouldn't have anything to worry about there.

While he didn't want to have hunting be his main duty, he still wanted to be a team player. I'll be sure to make time for my hunting duties, he expressed.

~Maya Angelou
Ghost
3,526 Posts
Ooc — Me
Birdcatcher
Trapper
Master Storyteller
"You better speak with Rannoch about that, before you start anything yourself," Wraen gave a friendly warning to him, while knowing that this was almost impossible. No close neighbours and any pack worth picking up a fight (a joke) was too far away. 

In regards of Rueger's hunting skills - perhaps, Wraen had misinterpreted something he had implied, made false assumptions, but, since he did not point this out, she did not even notice her mistake. "Well, that's impressive enough," she concluded, once he had counted each and every four legged beast that he had taken down and eaten. "And you do not look too bad either," she added, which meant that he was a good hunter enough. 

"Very well then, Rueger," Wraen felt that all the important matters in their conversation had been covered and they could each resume their duties, "I will let you do your guarding and I will go and have my napping. It will be a lot peaceful now, knowing that there is an additional pair of eyes looking out for danger." With this she did a farewell and left.