Stone Circle Droplets of yes and no, in an ocean of maybe
Follow your heart, listen to your inner voice, stop caring about what others think.
545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
All Welcome 
Since her talk with Valette, Steph had done her best to live up to what her mother wanted. No, that wasn't right. It wasn't what her mother wanted. It was what Steph wanted. To follow in her mother's footsteps and become a leader. Steph was unsure if she had what it takes to do that, but if she didn't give it her best, she'd never know. She'd rather try and fail than to never try at all.

So, early this morning she had set out to patrol the borders. Her nose was to the ground and her ears were perked as she looked for any signs that something was amiss. So far, she didn't find any indication that anyone had been nearby that shouldn't have been. She paused in her patrol to look out over Wapun meadow. She could see movement on the ground, but it was mostly likely the rabbits or gophers that lived there.

The soul that sees beauty may sometimes walk alone ~Geothe
Sunny is allowed in all threads, open or private, created by Steph
"The mountains do not break to the wind nor does the sky change for a single individual."
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
Greyback walked on one of the patrol trails, his paws making soft 'thuds' in his wake, ears alert, and head held high with grand posture as he listened to the sounds around him. The man had always enjoyed walking the land, beholding the sights of the world. Ever since his acceptance of Easthollow he has been routinely walking the trails every dawn and dusk. It was only today that he arrived late due to coming back in the dead of night from his meeting with the Morningside wolf, Loir.

Stopping, Greyback noticed a small print within the dirt. Raising his brows, he bent down and sniffed at it lightly, instantly recognizing it as Steph's. He wouldn't be surprised if the young lady had been patrolling the grounds herself. Looking around, he followed her trail near the meadow and came upon her in the distance. Smiling, he neared closer, taking note that she was looking out.

"The sun greets you, Miss Steph." He welcomes, giving a small bow to her. "Do you mind if I join you?"

Follow your heart, listen to your inner voice, stop caring about what others think.
545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
She hadn't heard the male approach, and when his voice reached her ears, her head swiveled quickly and her gaze settled on him. Immediately, her tail began to wag and she flashed him a smile. Hello, Greyback, she greeted. Her head lowered to meet his bow. I'd be glad for you to join me, she replied.

Her attention was back on the borders as they walked, she in no particular hurry. How are things? she asked, interested in what Greyback had been up to.

"The mountains do not break to the wind nor does the sky change for a single individual."
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
 Greyback chuckled at Steph's greeting, his head leaning forward to press his nose against her forehead as part of the greeting before walking alongside her. It was nice seeing the yearling grow up, albeit he came late into the pack to see her early development; she was shaping to be a fine young leader.

"How are things?"

"Wonderful as always, Miss Steph," he replied in a cheery tone. It was indeed wonderful, the man had be thoroughly enjoying his life here. Easthollow had provided everything he ever wanted. "How are you bearing? You seem to be quite busy these days, care to tell me about your adventures?" Greyback cocked his head as he talked. He was excited to hear about what the quiet young wolf had to tell him.

545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
She couldn't help but smile when he called her Miss Steph. She supposed many might have corrected him to something less formal, but truth be told, Steph felt special when he called her that. I'm glad to hear that, Greyback, she replied.

She wasn't surprised that he noticed she was busy. I've been increasing my responsibilities, with Valette's permission, she confessed. I told her... she paused, a little insecure about speaking about it to anyone else. But, no Beta would think like that, would they? I told her I'd like to work my way up to Beta, she confessed, her gaze moving to his face to gauge his reaction.

508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
Greyback was happy to hear the young wolf explain her increase in responsibilities around the pack, not that Steph was lazy, but he knew Valette could use all the help she could get. Especially since Stark was so sick and not able to attend to his duties. He made a mental note to go talk to her about Stark's condition later on.

"I told her I'd like to work my way up to Beta, "

Beta? Greyback looked down at Steph with a surprised expression, his eyes wide. Well, that unexpected. He never would of assumed that she would take after he mother. Steph seemed quiet and reserved, but perhaps in the future she would come out of that shell.

He smiled warmly down at her after a few seconds. If that is what she desired then who was he to deny her. "That's wonderful!" He exclaimed. "You will become a fine young Beta. Will your mother be training you?"

545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
She didn't miss his shocked expression, and it had her frowning and turning her face away from him. It was obvious to her that he disapproved of her aspirations. She supposed she shouldn't be surprised. In her 11 months on this earth, she hadn't accomplished much, let alone shown anyone she was capable of being Beta.

Lost was she in her thoughts that it took her a few moments to respond to Greyback. His words were opposite of his expression just moments ago, and she found herself wondering if he believed them. She's going to guide me, she finally said, her voice a little flat. Had her mother needed "training" to be Alpha or did it come naturally to her? Was anyone a good Beta if they had to be trained?

508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
Greyback noticed Steph's disappointment as he she turned away and went silent. Uncertainty settled over him as he wondered what he did wrong. Was it his words, or perhaps was it his shocked expression? He came to a still and bowed his head, hoping to catch her attention. He knew the role of Beta was taxing on the mind, and it appeared no different for the small black wolf in front of him.

"Miss Steph, I am sorry if my actions were displeasing, it was never my intention to upset you, " His voice was gentle as he spoke to her. His ears pushed back, wondering if she would accept his apology. "Yes, I must admit I am shocked to hear your ambitions, but I am not cross, " He shook his head as he spoke, "But, I fully support you. I meant what I said." He gave her a smile, attempting to wash away that frown upon her face. Although the wolf was much younger than him, the man always thought of her as a friend.

545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Steph continued on a few steps as Greyback stopped in his tracks. She turned, but as he spoke, she choose to look to the side instead of at him. She believe him, that he hadn't meant to upset her. She didn't believe Greyback was the type. But, she felt his expression had given away his doubt about her leadership skills.

Greyback had always seemed like an honest wolf, and she could tell that even in his words now. He was shocked, but not appalled. She took a deep breath, and as she exhaled, moved her gaze to him. Will you help me? she asked openly.

Mom wants me to take on a second trade. Namely, counselor, she explained. But... I feel my social skills have gotten off kilter, she confessed. She wasn't exactly sure how to get them back on track, either. She waited to see what he would say.

508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
Greyback felt guilty when Steph looked to the side, and not at him. Had his reaction hurt her so much? He stared openly at her, but kept his smile. He knew it was sometimes hard for youngsters to let go of their pain. In time perhaps Steph would forgive him, he could wait.

"Will you help me?"
Greyback was shocked once more by her words, but kept it under his smiling facade, not wanting to upset her more. Help her? He didn't know the first thing about being a Beta

"Mom wants me to take on a second trade. Namely, counselor, But... I feel my social skills have gotten off kilter"

Oh, that's what she meant. Greyback turned his head at that. He, too was trying to aim for the same trade, namely advisor, but had yet to acquire it since there were no other counselors within the pack. Was it even allowed for him to help her when he didn't have one himself? He pressed his tongue to his cheek and hummed. "Of course. I would gladly help you if you wanted, but... I have yet to acquire my Counselor trade as well. Am I allowed to help you despite having it?"

Though he had been around for a while, the male had yet to really dig into the ways of trades and specialties. It was all very new to him.

545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
She waited, and tried to be patient, as he seemed to consider her question. She knew he could say no, but she wouldn't have put herself out there like that if she felt like she wasn't going to get a positive answer. Still, she could be wrong.

The moment ticked by, and when he finally spoke, she released a breath she hadn't realized she had been holding. It seemed like a yes, until the "but" came in. It seemed he was simply unsure if he was allowed to. I don't see why not, she confessed. I don't help getting the trade, per se, she explained. I need help... Socializing. If he helped her earn the trade itself, she couldn't really say she earned it on her own. And she needed to be able to say that. She needed to built that foundation before she started working on her trade.

508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
"I don't see why not, I don't help getting the trade, per se, I need help... Socializing."

Socializing? Greyback tipped his head to the side as Steph spoke. He knew she was rather quiet, but he didn't think she really needed much help with talking to others. Regardless, he couldn't turn her down since she asked. "Of course, Miss Steph, though I'll need to know what specifically you want to work on. Is it diplomatic talk? Formalities?" He continued forwards with their patrol, hoping she would follow him.

"I really don't think you need help with socializing among wolves your age...After all, I find our conversations quite pleasing," He looked over his shoulder to give a wink before turning back.

545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Greyback seemed open to the idea of helping her out when she explained what she needed. When he asked for more details, she thought a moment before answering, turning to walk alongside him. Not so much that as... the more personal stuff, she admitted. I'm fine talking business. Not so much about intimate stuff. I don't usually ask stuff like that, she described.

She gave him a soft smile at his compliment. I do, too, she reciprocated, before turning serious once more. But, we generally ask how each other is doing, we say fine, and we leave it at that, she explained. I want to know more about my family, but I hate prying into their personal lives, if that makes any sense. Did it? They usually told her she was fine, and whether she suspected more or not, she didn't probe.

508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
"I want to know more about my family, but I hate prying into their personal lives, if that makes any sense."

Greyback listened as Steph talked, he was glad she agreed with him on formal socializing, but was a bit surprised when she addressed her problems with personal conversations. Was Steph having trouble opening up and talking to others, especially her family? He glanced at her for a brief second, studying her face. He couldn't imagine how awkward that must be.

He opened his mouth to reply but was unsure of what to say. He was attempting to get a trade in counseling, but was still having difficulty at time knowing how to address others issues. Perhaps if they both asked each other questions she would open up. "Of course, Miss Steph. It makes perfect sense...I'm sure your family doesn't mind you asking questions. Don't underestimate the powerful tie families have, they would be honored to share their experiences with you," He gave her a smile in return.

"How about you ask me a personal question, and then I'll ask you one? It can be anything, I'll go first."

545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
His words eased her mind a bit, understanding that family ties could be very strong, and asking about one's life wasn't really snooping; it was just being concerned. Steph might have an easier time if she stopped worrying so much about herself, and started worrying about others.

Then Greyback purposed to training exercise. They would ask each other questions, to help her get used to it. She looked thoughtful a moment, then nodded. Alright, I can do that, she agreed. She thought for a few more moments, before asking. Speaking of family, she began. Do you have any outside Easthollow? She didn't know anything about Greyback's life before he should up on the borders, so she figured that was a good place to start.

508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
Curious, Greyback tried to figure out what Steph was thinking, his eyes roaming over her face. Was she feeling uneasy? He decided to be quiet, letting her think. Though, it wasn't until she spoke that he noticed she would rather ask first. He didn't mind at all. Anything to put the girl at ease.

"Speaking of family, do you have any outside Easthollow?"

Greyback froze, his brows furrowing together. He never would of anticipated her asking that type of question. Greyback disliked talking about his family very much. He was half tempted to change the subject, but that wouldn't be very fair to Steph. "I have my two kin, but we haven't conversed for almost 5 years," He replied. He was never close to his brother and sister, they had varying personalities. "I have also two daughters, but that's another conversation."

He turned to Steph, wondering if she would accept that as an answer. "What about you, Miss Steph? Do you have any family outside Easthollow?"

545 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Grayback admitted to having some family, but hadn't talked to them in a very long while, and then spoke of two daughters. Her expression turned to stone when he said that was a conversation for another day. See? SEE? It was pointless to get into others' personal lives because no one wanted to talk about it.

When asked about her own family, her temper got the best of her. Yeah, a brother and a sister, she replied hotly. But I guess that's a conversation for another time, she said, her eyes meeting his, hoping he got her point. I'm gonna go. See you later, she said as she turned to leave. It seemed she would not control her anger at this point, and it was probably best to be alone until she did.

508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
"But I guess that's a conversation for another time...I'm gonna go. See you later."

Greyback pinched his brows together at the young wolfs tone, her attitude starting to get to the man slightly. How had his words upset her this time? It seemed as if everything he spoke to her would set her off in due time. He was unsure of how to deal with her temper. He knew Steph didn't mean it, he wondered if it was because of her age, or perhaps the weight of proving herself to be a beta.

"S-," The first syllable of Steph's name caught in his throat as he tried to call after her, but he already knew that wasn't a good idea. It was best to let her blow off some steam and be alone for a while; he would talk to her another day.

With a sigh, he shook his head and turned around to continue paroling the border.