this is my book
and i know how to work the spells and charms in it
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
All Welcome 
merrick dragged a piece of deerhide between his front legs, stumbling on its edges but holding his chin importantly high all the same. as the youngest, he had learned many ways to comport himself. one such was capitalizing on the fact that both his mother and his aunt were ranked leaders, and merrick had become a bit of a brat in that regard.
the fat prince missed another step, and down he went, this time tumbling an embarassing distance, the deerhide fluttering behind him. haunches bruised, pride suffering a mortal wound, the boy's eyes watered and he began a high-pitched yipping howl for anyone with a modicum of sympathy to attend him.
200 Posts
Ooc —
Bearclaw's youngest hadn't escaped Lucas' attention, but he'd admittedly been too wrapped up in his own pursuits and the newness of the rendezvous to spend any time in the cub's company. But when a high-pitched yapping woke him from a mid-morning nap, the hunk of an Arctic pup couldn't ignore it. Not only was Merrick's racket kind of endearing, but it tugged sharply at the empath's heart strings. He rose from his place near the shallow river, shook out his thick (and thickening) coat, and headed off at an awkward waddle-swagger in Merrick's direction on rapidly lengthening limbs. In the midst of his growth spurt, Lucas didn't know how to carry his rotund figure anymore, it seemed.

It wasn't hard to imagine what had happened; his icy gaze bounced between the deer hide and the fallen pup, and he couldn't help but to warmly giggle. "Hey, lil man," he said, coming to a stop just next to Merrick's rufous shoulders. He swept his muzzle down to Merrick's teary face, snuffling in his friendly way, before sitting down heavily. He hadn't noticed just how big he was getting, but it was alarming how much smaller Merrick seemed than him. "Tell me wha' happened," he prompted, giving Merrick every opportunity to salvage his wounded pride by telling the tale himself.
THREADS: 1/3
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
when no one immediately arrived to soothe him, merrick's cries became more pathetic, until he had fair worked himself into a lather. and when lucas came round, blowing warm breath over the boy's nape, the pup stared up at his packmate with a wide and tear-soaked gaze. "I FALL!" came his shuddering pipe; merrick simply could not fathom why the ground had done him like this.
he leant his round head against the older boy's ankle, small shoulders shaking as he sought to control his sobs. perhaps the other had some way of punishing the wicked forces that had led to merrick's downfall; the younger of the pair would glibly follow such an edict.
200 Posts
Ooc —

He was expecting a tale about how a horrid beast had leaped out of the bushes and tried to take Merrick's pelt, knocking him down in the process. He was expecting the boy to spin an imaginative yarn that would free him from feeling silly for tripping himself, as was evidently the case. Lucas was even prepared to accept such a story with all the appropriate exclamations and faith, but instead, Merrick just claimed that he fell. The boy's voice was so sad that even Lucas, who was normally so cheery and easygoing, felt his ears wilt back.

"Hey, thas okay," he crooned down to his cousin's dark head when Merrick leaned against his leg. He didn't know much about younger pups, being only four months old himself and lacking exposure, but he found in himself the instinct to lean down and swipe his tongue across the boy's head, hoping to comfort him. "I still fall lots too. Do you wanna know how I feel better?" There was a twinkle to his eye as he said it.
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
lucas was doing a wonderful job, as soon became apparent. beneath the older boy's soothing tones and gentle touch, merrick's sobs died to a sniffle, the shuddering sort that shook his little body. however, his eyes were fixed upon lucas — he nodded. "yah!" the stories of his mother and aunt and the elder children amused merrick to no end. he fancied one day he would have the same sort of yarns.
"how yew few bettah?" the child prompted, swiping at his own cheeks with a fore-ankle. first a tentative brush of his tail against the earth, and then a smile of anticipation broke across merrick's face. whatever lucas had to say was sure to be amazing, and his small counterpart was completely here for it.
200 Posts
Ooc —

Okay, good. He wasn't all that well versed on helping young pups out, having zero experience with any pup younger than Merrick, but Lucas knew he was at least headed in the right direction. He had his younger cousin's attention. That was good, right? "Okay, first you gotta stand reaaaal tall, as tall as you ever stood!" He backed up a few steps to try to demonstrate, stretching up on his toes until his spine popped from stretching.

"Then you gotsa dip down reaaaal low and wiggle your toes and pretend they're worms," he said impishly, dropping his torso forward and splaying his forelegs in the grass. "And then, wanna know what you do next?"
this is my book
i know them all
1,610 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Master Warrior
Master Missionary
by now, the boy's tears had all but abated; he gazed up at lucas adoringly, before aligning himself with the older boy. stretching upward was more difficult than he had expected, but he did his darndest, reacclimating himself each time he stumbled. 
tail lashed at his hips; merrick descended into the same sort of bow. "what!?" he exclaimed, eyes bright with anticipation of lucas sharing this fervent secret with him. feverishly, the boy tried to imagine what it could possibly be. his delight only increased into a crow of glee when the older pup imparted said wisdom to him.
lucas, then, was drawn into a barrage of questioning from which he was hard-pressed to extricate himself. luckily indra's appearance distracted the pair, for she had brought food, and mutual joy soon turned to a growing child's hunger.