Swiftcurrent Creek roar
<small><span style="color:#b9745e;letter-spacing:3px;">デクナッツ</span></small>
150 Posts
Ooc — Der
Very few wolves would ever desire to intrude onto pack territories, and very, very few wolves would ever desire to do so involuntarily. It was not as if the little red wolf was looking for trouble. Rather that she had a knack for it. It was her specialty, one that she did not often tout, because it often led others to judge her as either unlucky, careless, or even stupid. She never appreciated these judgements as she believed they missed the point: that hers was a gift of adventure and freedom from all things routine.

If you asked her how she got into her present predicament, she would say it was the foxes' fault and then go into a long-winded story about her harrowing night deep in the belly of Blackfoot Forest. However, given that she was currently drowning--swept down a good length of Swiftcurrent Creek--she probably would only give you gurgles in response, and you would judge her no lesser for it.

The current was true to its namesake. The little red wolf felt her body move according to the will of the waters. They dragged her across sandbars and then pulled her through spaces between jagged rocks. She did not feel pain but rather an overwhelming panic that she would not be feeling much of anything soon enough.

Her feeble attempts to gain purchase on the quickly passing shores and larger rocks were in vain, and it was not certain whether her cries for help were audible over the loud roar of the waters. Roar? That must have been the sound of a waterfall, and suddenly everything became quite funny to her. She began to laugh, and seeing as she was already choking, she choked with laughter.
dread the day when dreaming ends
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
Bazi wasn’t entirely sure how to receive the Creek’s delivery.

She had been lounging by the water’s edge, front legs half submerged in the cool water and teeth working at the unsightly yellow stains that summer had seen fit to decorate her knees with. The sound of choking brought her head up from the task, and there was a wolf, splashing around like a hairy, handicapped frog in the very center of the river. A flash of red fur sparked a moment of panic in the ghostly Beta, but Fox was not Lethe, nor was she stupid enough to tumble into the water - no resident of Swiftcurrent was. If the current got hold of you, you faced near certain death, whether by drowning or having your head smacked against the riverbed like a ragdoll.

Bazi pulled her legs out of the water rushed into action, driven by the need to properly eject the trespasser more than a desire to save a life. The river took its time playing with Leaf’s small body, giving her rescuer plenty of time run ahead, locate a fallen branch (six or seven feet’s worth), haul it to the narrowest upcoming section of river, and wait for a bite.
150 Posts
Ooc — Der
Hm, wasn't sure if I should've powerplayed. Hope you don't mind a short post.

It was very well the little red wolf had been laughing to her heart's content, for it was just as she was opening her mouth for another deep bellow that the log lodged itself firmly into her mouth. She choked (again) and reached out to bat the repulsive object, only to realize that it was her hope. Clutching onto it with both her teeth and her two front legs, she felt the current continue to drag her lower body towards the waterfall at the end. She was like a little red flag being blown by the winds, a pennant proudly displaying her foolishness to all the world.

1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
Powerplay is fine by me!

Leaf's weight wasn't much to write home about on dry land, but she hit Bazi's pole like a tonne of bricks. The fisherman swayed and lurched, leaning back onto her haunches for balance - the disgruntled river tugged and ripped, and the force of it made her jaw muscles ache. Had her catch been even a single pound heavier, Bazi would have considered letting go.

The business of dragging the stranger into the shallows took time. It was hard enough to maintain footing on four paws, and the Creek wolf could only take short, shuffling steps backwards, every muscle straining hard to keep hold of the splintering wood. Shredded bark mixed with spit, and filled her mouth with a foul, bitter taste. Eventually, the grimacing, panting northener triumphed over the water, and Leaf came away into the shallows.
150 Posts
Ooc — Der
Somehow our little red wolf was saved! She collapsed onto the shore with loud, gasping heaves, and it was surprising how much water she had managed to avoid getting into her lungs. Still, when she coughed, she expelled more water than air, and it felt like she was coughing up all of her life and blood.

It only took a moment, disorientated as she was, to realize that she was no longer on neutral territories. Seeing as she was already on her back, she lay low and flat and turned her gaze towards the other small wolf and silently gave her thanks. Eventually, she looked away. She knew she needed to say something, anything really, but could not think. Peace once more restored itself to the surrounding land, though the current still seemed to roar in her ears. The waters were hectoring her! For a moment, all she wanted to do was to run away, but she was reminded of another fateful night when she had betrayed her own pride.

"Pl-Please take care of me," she said. "Or at least allow me to p-pay back my debts to you and your p-pack. I-I can do much more than trespass and drown," she finished in a much quieter voice. It seemed that even she had a sense of duty and responsibility to others. It only took nearly losing her life to realize it.
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
A sad, soaked little wolf lay spluttering at Bazi's feet, emptying river water onto the banks. The Beta gave the girl a few moments to confirm that she was, in fact, alive, before opening her mouth with the intention of chastising her for blundering into the river. But Leaf beat her to the punch.

"Pl-Please take care of me. Or at least allow me to p-pay back my debts to you and your p-pack. I-I can do much more than trespass and drown."

A hook of mirth tugged a the corners of Bazi's black lips. Even if this stranger chose to move on, her inventive application for Creek membership would be long remembered. "Let's hear it, then."
150 Posts
Ooc — Der
Hope once more prickled through her chest, though maybe that was the oxygen slowly returning to her lungs. Being alive hurt. Coughing again mostly for dramatic effect, the little red wolf was otherwise quick to answer. It was not that she was overconfident in her few abilities but rather that she could speak quickly when necessary to escape certain unwanted fates.

"I can't seem to outrun your pack's creek, but I will someday," she said. Slowly she rolled onto her stomach which she seemed to help her breathing. Her ears were still pinned back, however, and her tail low to the ground. "I enjoy exploring and recently traveled from a place far, far north called Relic Lore. On the way, I encountered a gaze of baby raccoons. They lost their mother to a mountain cat, and so I raised them until they were self-sufficient--well, they're still growing. I brought them with me, you see." It was around this point that the little red wolf began to lose herself in her own memories of the past months. Her mouth became dimpled with happiness. "There was a point when I encountered a different gaze of raccoons, who declared I was keeping the babies as food rations. I was deeply offended but managed to reconcile the situation." She did not bother sharing the fact that her solution was to consume those raccoons instead. They had been rather scrumptious as exacted justice always seemed to taste with only a dash of remorse.

Coughing again, she realized she was out of breath. She did not look up towards the leader but waited expectantly.
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
...raccoon?

Bazi swallowed back a 'WTF' and squinted hard at the damp little wolf at her feet, looking for any outwardly obvious sign of head injury. What use was it to Swiftcurrent Creek that she could nurse a bunch of pestilent raccoons? Why would you highlight that particular section of your resumé rather than the usual song and dance about impossibly honed hunting skills and fighting off 100 intruders with one paw? Bazi had to mull it over for a good few minutes before it occurred to her that looking after several babies (species aside) and managing to feed yourself at the same time was still an impressive feat. 'Abstract' wasn't really her thing.

"So.. how long did you fend for yourself?" she asked, hoping to confirm that Leaf was showing off her survival skills and not her insanity.
150 Posts
Ooc — Der
Leaf squinted back at the leader. She also was confused, seeing as she had thought her example highlighted several good qualities. It demonstrated that she was able to have cross-species interactions while undergoing adjustment issues in addition to emphasizing exploratory inclinations and conflict resolution skills. Of course, this was not how she saw it in her mind, but it was the reason behind her confidence. "Probably no more than two months," she said. "The ducklings are getting in their 'adult' feathers and don't need my warmth as much. They're also about to fly, I wager." She paused before frowning. "I'm not sure what I'm to do afterwards, seeing as they're a good part of our diet." Such issues were almost moral in her mind.

Pausing yet another time, the little red wolf finally bowed. "Really, I know I have a lot of growing up to do, and I am not much, but I mean it when I say I owe you. Please allow me to serve you however I can. If you need me to relay messages to dangerous places, I will go. If you need me to help with the children in the pack, I will play. If you need me to do your pack hunting, I will give you a good laugh at my deplorable skills." The little red wolf once more flipped onto her back in submission and gently pawing with her paws, she whined.
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
Raccoons and ducks? Bazi's expression grew more bemused by the second, and she couldn't help but let a high chortle slip at Leaf's dilemma regarding the future of her little menagerie. "Maybe you should keep a few adults, clip their wings, and breed them for food?" the leader suggested with a dark grin, unaware that she had just described 'farming'.

A metal note to ask where the snack box of critters was currently located just made the list before the damp little pledge steered the conversation back to joining Swiftcurrent Creek. By this point, she had managed the charm the leader with her odd but entirely sweet nature, and was rewarded for her submission with a few licks to the face and a playful nip to the ear. "Alright," Bazi agreed, sealing the deal with a firm nod. "You're in. But show me this strange zoo of yours."

Shall I Swiftcurrent-i-fy you? :D
150 Posts
Ooc — Der
Yes, please...! -tears-
But haha I entirely messed up. It's because I'd been uploading a video of ducklings from our lake out front. (Yes, they are so cute. I thought about putting them up here!)

Passing over the leader's comments about farming--partially because she was more focused on joining the pack and partially because there should have never been discussion of any farming had her writer not made a mistake!--the little red wolf felt herself swell with emotion as she was finally accepted. Who knew joining a pack would be so difficult! though it reassured the little wolf to know that the borders were patrolled and the pack membership screened.

Mimicking the other wolf, she returned a few licks to the leader's chin and also firmly nodded. "Yes!" she said, before glancing furtively at the leader. "But only after I prepare a nice meal for you. I-I wouldn't want you to have to travel far on an empty stomach." It was her way of saying the raccoon babies or ducklings or whatever they were were quite dear to her, and despite the confusion of species, she had not lied about bringing them here with her. Pulling herself up while keeping herself low, she gently nudged her superior. "My name is Leaf Nattsu. Thank you."
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
Oh gosh, my mistake too! I should have realised. Concluding here. :D

Whatever the species or mixture thereof, Bazi was mostly interested in seeing prey that ran towards rather than away from an oncoming wolf. The Creek was large enough to support raccoons as well as the pack, provided they were housed as far away from Tuwawi and Njal's children as possible - just in case.

Wolves of the Teekon Wilds soon learned that it paid to skip the early phases of friendship and go straight to the meat, as evidenced by the friendly exchange of licks and nudges - there was no telling who would be there tomorrow. "Bazi. Swift," the pale girl returned, changing her surname on a whim - 'Nanum-Akkad' hadn't been spoken in months, and seemed insignificant now. The prospect of lunch made her mouth water visibly, and she was made to lick the excess off from around her lips. Tail swinging amicably and posture relaxed, Bazi placed herself next to and a little ahead of the newest recruit, and began to lead the way toward a meadow that boasted particularly fat, lazy hares - a virtual gold mine of quick and satisfying snacks. "Gamekeepers are a little thin on the ground. If you can charm food into following you, I say you should catch something exotic for our new parents."

Side by side, the two wolves made their way toward guaranteed lunch.