Blacktail Deer Plateau "She loves the sunlight"
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
Private 
for @Kavik (since they haven't had one in a while) discovery thread :)

Exploring the plateau was something of a game, or it had become one the moment Kavik left his immature mate alone, to Liri. When the others had fanned out in favor of their own projects to see the pack come to fruition, the healer had settled on what she deemed the most important - familiarity and claiming. She intended to know every corner of the plateau and make sure no one questioned who lived there. 

Still, the tedious task was only lightened by the imaginings of a creative mind.

She raced through silent forests, the trees her only witness, running so hard it seemed her heart would burst - so hard it seemed she was trying to out run something. 

She waded through the stream. She climbed the footpaths. She mapped the territory in her head and she marked it - with urine, with her claws, with her fur. No one could doubt the plateau was hers, theirs. 

The fae might have passed by the cave, if not for passing so close to it and hearing the soft woosh of air within. With a flick of her ear, she turned dark eyes on the foliage before her - or what appeared to be a curtain foliage. 

The vines and lianas and general natural debri naturally blocked the cave opening but after pushing it aside and entering - what Liri discovered was awe-inspiring. 

The cave was easily considered large, the central area of the cave felt humongous in comparison to the small she-wolf. Her ears flattened some as she crept forward to examine the cave. 

It was large, roomy, with a pool of clear water at its center. Sunlight spilled in, on account of the domed hole directly above the pool. Soft moss muffled her steps as she examined some of the corridors that shot off the main room. 

Some of these corridors were just dead ends - or else dark tunnels that led to nowhere and promised an awful death - and some were even collapsed in. Others promised different uses. Some would have been comparable to large open rooms, perfect for gatherings or for storing supplies. 

Some of the rooms were smaller, more like large dens. Liri examined these with particular interest. There were enough dens to guarantee privacy, and enough clearance of the entrance to allow even Kavik's height. 

Liri entered one of the dens, circling it in consideration.

It was spacious - allowing enough room for her and growing pups, not to mention Kavik. Despite the room, it was still snug. There would be no drafts or drips, they would be secure through the winter. There were nooks and crannies where she could keep herbs on hand and enough natural light that she wouldn't be kept in the dark while raising their children. They seemed perfect. 

Liri smiled wryly, the dens were perfect but not the timing. After a last glance, and a thought for the future, the healer left the dens alone - satisfied they would be suitable for whelping. 

The fae settled by the pool, content to enjoy the peaceful ambiance of the cave for a moment more, with thoughts of the future and puppies lingering on her mind.
"i'll keep you here when I lose my mind."

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Kavik had followed the footpaths until thy lead him out of the plateau and into the flatlands. He had come across the worn paths a few times, but it was the first time he had actually taken the time to to see where they lead. After spending some time exploring the grasslands just outside their territory, he made his way back, stopping to take a drink in the stream that ran directly through the middle of their territory. 

After drinking his fill, he lifted his head from the water and raised his muzzle in the air to take in the scents around him. To his delight, his mate had been in the area recently, and after crossing the stream, he began to track her. It seemed Liri had been many places while he was out doing his own exploring, and following her scent became a welcome challenge. At times he would briefly lose the trail and have to retrace his steps to pick it back up. He smiled as it reminded him of the time she hid from him in the forest of Bracken Sanctuary. He still chuckled to himself every time he thought about how she had tried to trick him. It was one of his most favorite memories. 

Finally his tracking brought him to what first looked like the mountain side covered with vines and other greenery, but when her trail seemed to stop there, he took a closer look and was surprised to find that the vines were concealing the opening to what appeared to be a cave. Poking his head through, he saw a large pool of water, illuminated by the sunlight that was coming in from a hole on the ceiling. Moss covered the floors and walls, and all together it was quite beautiful--made even more beautiful by sight of his gorgeous mate sitting next to the water.

Kavik padded over and sat next to her, giving her a nuzzle in greeting. I've been looking for you, he said with the smile he only gave to his mate. It seems you've been busy, he added with a low chuckle, nuzzling her again and breathing in his favorite scent.
I'm no good without you
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
The air moved, a sudden draft brushing her fur and rippling the pool of water at her feet. Her head turned, her guarded expression - she's still a bit jumpy from their travels - melts into one of joy at seeing her mate. They've been preoccupied with the pack on most days, or with traveling or hunting or a number of other vital tasks. For once, it was freeing to pad up to him and kiss him deeply - just because she could and there were no other eyes to witness it. 

She pulled away with a small sigh, closing her eyes and resting against him momentarily in a way could only be described as a lupine hug. 

After a moment, the healer backed off - a playful smile gracing her features. 

"I'm sorry. I just had to do that first," she grinned as her eyes slid back over to the dens. Now that her priority had been taken care of, she led the way to some of the better-faring dwns. 

"I've been a bit preoccupied," she admitted. "I've been taking a look around," that made it sound more mature, "and this place would actually be great for a lot of things."

"Uh..storing supplies, classes, meetings, we can even..." she had reached the dens that she had so carefully examined. It was clear what their use would be - summer whelping dens. "...have kids?" She could not glance at him as she circled the small den, avoiding his gaze. They'd never actually discussed if they wanted children, had they?

He knew about Isira and Pip, obviously. But had they ever actually had a conversation about pups of their own? Kavik hadn't mentioned it, not that she could remember. And despite breeding rights being one of the reasons why they founded a pack, Liri doesn't know if Kavik intends to use those rights. 

Perhaps it was the wrong time and that was why he hasn't mentioned it. Perhaps he wanted to wait, not until late winter when her heat came (as she had assumed) but until the next winter or the one after that.  

Anxious, the healer pretended to examine some nook in the cave wall - awaiting his answer.

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
The kiss was more than welcome, and he returned it readily. When she moved in to rest against him in an embrace, he drew his mate's scent in repeatedly with deep breaths, reveling in her comforting aroma and they way it was permanently mixed with his own. The last few months had not left them with many opportunities for alone time, and he was happy to have her all to himself for a little while. When she pulled away and apologized, Kavik shook his head. No apology needed, my love, he said softly as he moved to follow her.

Kavik took a look around as she led them farther into the caves and was delighted to see what appeared to be dens. Liri went on to describe all the functions the dens could serve as she led them to one in particular that looked like it would work well as a whelping den. He watched her walk in and uncertainly bring up the subject of pups. Warmth spread though him at just the thought of their future children. His mate would be an amazing mother, and he couldn't wait to raise a family with her. He sensed her anxiety as she avoided his gaze. He didn't blame her; they had never discussed having children, and knew how important it was to her, especially considering that she had lost pups in the past.

He moved into the den with his mate, and when he came to stand in front of her, he gently nosed her cheek, silently asking for her to look at him. This would be the perfect place for our children. he said, emotion in his voice. With a smile, he added, This spring can't come soon enough.
I'm no good without you
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
She can feel his verdant gaze on her, even as she pretends to be so invested in the den's wall. Her heart raced in recognition, and she cursed it. Kavik staring at her shouldn't make her act like a love-struck yearling, she chides silently to herself.

It was only a question. So why was she so nervous? 

She sucked in a breath when he approached, finding her head turned so she had no option but to meet those startling green eyes.

"This would be the perfect place for our children." 

The words take a moment to register but when they do, a warmth settles in her bones and a smile breaks across her features. 

There was emotion laced in Kavik's deep tones - the same emotion that kept her from speaking at the moment. She pressed close, kissing him again and then kissing him all over - his forehead, his cheeks, his muzzle, wherever she could reach on her tip toes. 

"You know, there are times I really love you," she teased playfully as she pulled away, grinning at him.

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
A deep laugh escaped his chest at her peppering of kisses and the words that followed. It was a rare occurrence, but if anyone could elicit a laugh from Kavik, it was his mate. And here I thought you really loved me all the time, he replied with a shake of his head, laughter still present in his voice. Perhaps I should fix that, he added, raising an eyebrow mischievously and meeting her dark gaze before giving her a deep, passionate kiss.

Stopping the kiss to look at her with an impish smile, he asked, How about now? Smile widening, he added, I'm prepared to keep at this for as long as it takes, his single brow raising again while he waited for her answer.
I'm no good without you
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
She withheld a startled jump at Kavik's laugh. It was seldom that he laughed aloud - he was a serious, brooding man - but when he did it was sudden, booming loud, and infectious. She burst into laughter, soft bells of it that were in direct opposite to the hearty laughs he was known for. 

She could only stutter over her giggles, too giddy to speak or argue as he spoke, approaching then and kissing her passionately. Her laughs died in her throat as she kissed him back - silenced by the sudden affection.

When he pulled back, she was left breathless. Stunned, she could only blink up at him for a moment - not quite understanding what was said in her post-kiss stupor. "I don't know, I think I'm pretty in love with you after that one," she murmured.

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
A grin spread across his face at her words and the affect his kiss seemed to have had on her. Chuckling, he replied, Good, and touched his forehead to hers. Remembering what they had been talking about before, he said, I think you'll be an amazing mother, and pulled back to look at her again. He could already see it with the way she cared for Illidan. 

Concern filled his expression at the thought of the depressed boy. Not wanting to sour the mood but needing to bring it up, he sighed and said, Speaking of children, I'm worried about Illidan. He was sure she was probably just as worried, but Kavik needed to talk to someone about it, and she was the only one who would understand aside from Grezig. Despite all of my efforts, he doesn't seem to get any better, he added, shaking his head. I just feel like I'm failing him, and it worries me. He looked away, uncomfortable with the raw emotion that followed his admission. Sadness filled his gaze when he moved it back to his mate's face to await her input on the situation.
I'm no good without you
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
She leaned into his touch, unable to stop the grin that spread across her face. A small part of her grew sad at the compliment he paid her, for she had not been the most exceptional of mothers with her first litter, but she kept this to herself. 

It will be different next time, she told herself, as she had so many times before. 

"I imagine I'll need help figuring it out. I've never actually been around many children," she grimaced slightly, thankful that she had the steady Kavik as her mate. Unlike Samuel, she could depend on him. He would not disappear, would not abandon her and any children they had together. 

With the mention of Illidan, an anxious frown wrinkled her forehead. 

"I know," she sighed with worry, rising to her feet and starting to pace. "I've spoken to him but...I'm not so sure I can even make him understand. He's only ever known loss." Her dark eyes dropped, uncomfortable with how much she could relate to Illidan. The first few years of her life had been nothing but a series of trials of pain and loss. 

"I think staying here, having a permanent home, will really help him," Liri expressed with hope. She knew that Illidan was unlikely to agree to talking to a Counselor or taking herbs that helped with anxiety and depression. Aside from keeping a close eye on him and trying to be there for him, the healer wasn't sure she knew how to help the young wolf they had taken in.

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
He nuzzled her cheek in comfort. We'll help each other, he replied softly. He had no idea how to raise children and planned to just do what felt right, hoping not to screw anyone up in the process. Despite his mate's uncertain words, Kavik had no doubt she would do a good job co-parenting their future children.

A small tinge of relief settled in his gut at Liri's words, mixing with the constant Illidan anxiety that had made its home there. Obviously he wasn't surprised that she worried about the pup, but it was reassuring to hear that he wasn't alone in his fears. I hope you're right. Having a stable environment with adults that care about him seems like it should help him heal, but he's so depressed and removed that I'm afraid it won't be enough, he replied fretfully, his ears falling back against his head as he release a heavy sigh. They had no control over what had happened to him before they found him, but if he grew up to be deranged or perpetually angry and destructive, Kavik wasn't sure he would ever forgive himself.
I'm no good without you
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
Liri licked his cheek as he pulled away, thankful again that she had found Kavik. She had no idea how to be a mother but the fae would try her best. 

"I know," she answered softly, frustration simmering in her chest. Even a permanent home and continuous care didn't mean that Illidan would adjust and just magically get better. But the healer was at a loss as to how she could fix the situation permanently; it just wasn't possible. If Illidan grew up to be something dark, Liri knew it would be out of her control but she still felt guilt settle in her gut as heavy as if she'd eaten stones. 

"All we can do is try, love," she murmured sadly. "There is no remedy that can just fix his pain," she spoke from experience.

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
He knew of her own experience with trauma and licked her cheek in comfort at what had to be an obvious reminder. He wasn't dense enough to think that her pain was all healed and gone, even now. He wished he could heal her psychological wounds just as much as he wished the same for Illidan. He would gladly take their pain and make it his own if he could, but that was frustratingly impossible. His emerald gaze found his mate's face, and he hesitantly asked, What helps you? His brow creased in concern as he watched her expression and waited for her answer. One of the many things that made him fall in love with the beautiful wolf in front of him was her unfailing strength, but he never forgot that it had come at a heavy price for her.
I'm no good without you
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
The question came as a surprise and Liri considered for the first time why she hadn't simply ended it - she'd had all the chances in the world to let her pain crush her and take her own life. But this wasn't the concern she had for the young coywolf - she was more worried about the anger and darkness that plagued him. 

"Spite," she answered Kavik honestly, turning conflicted eyes on him. "I refused to let them win," she added in soft tones, her voice small. It was the truth, as she'd vowed to tell him, but it wasn't an easy one to admit. 

"Somehow I don't think that will help Illidan, though," she spoke up again, a moment later. "Perhaps we should begin introducing him to different trades. Maybe taking up an apprenticeship would give him something to do and take his mind off things," she concluded, offering him a hopeful glance.

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
Her answer didn't surprise him. She was tenacious and if put in a similar situation, he would probably feel the same way. He nuzzled her cheek in comfort as he so often did. He wasn't sure how else to help her other than to just be there for her, much like with Illidan, so be there he would, no matter what. 

He nodded in agreement at her next statement. His situation, although also traumatic, was different than what his mate had been through, so it would require a different solution. I like that idea, he said with hope in his eyes as well. Maybe having some kind of goal along with their love and support would help the boy heal from his hard start to life. A this point, he was willing to take any advice if it meant that Illidan would find some peace from his anger and turmoil. How should we approach him about it? Kavik asked a second later. He wasn't sure the angry child would be very receptive to such things, so he wondered how they could get him to agree.
I'm no good without you
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
Unable to tell if she had made him uncomfortable or if he was merely silent, as he so often was, she simply smiled at him when he nuzzled her. The fae could only hope that her answer hadn't seemed odd; she wasn't entirely sure what construed as normal in her situation anyhow. 

"Maybe it would be best if we just start taking him along on hunts, teaching him how to do things like dig caches and mark borders. I could show him how to track or teach him about herbs. Elixir could teach him about the stars. You and the other mercenaries could let him watch you spar," she bumped her mate lightly with her hip. The possibilities were seemingly endless. It all just depended on what Illidan wanted to learn about. "There wouldn't be much need to explain - he's getting older. He'll need to learn this stuff eventually anyways."

963 Posts
Ooc — Hela
Guardian
He listened to her lay out a plan, thankful once again that she was his mate. He sighed in relief, his large shoulders rising and falling with the movement. His worries about Illidan would not go away by any means, but it felt better to have a plan, and it felt better to get the anxiety off his chest. I'm sorry for the shift in conversation. I just worry about...well, everything, he said, closing his eyes. Opening them again, he found her chocolate eyes and softly added, Thank you for listening and offering advice. I don't know what I would do without you, my love. He nuzzled her again, inhaling deeply to draw in her scent once more. He kept his face in her fur, liking the comfort that came with the closeness and with her scent. Reluctantly, he pulled back a little and looked at her once more, his love leaking into his gaze as he fixed back on her freckled face. 

We can wrap up if you want. :)
I'm no good without you
Ghost in the woods
1,079 Posts
Ooc —
[size=11.6667px%]Kavik's relief brings a tiny smile to her face. It feels good to have relieved his worries - or at the very least offer some kind of hope. 

"Hey, it's okay," she comforted as she pressed closer, draping her head over his broad shoulder in a hug. The healer wished she could somehow absorb the stress into her own being, to take it from him. 

"It's my pleasure," she returned softly, smiling against the crook of his neck. The fae would gladly help him solve problems for the rest of their days. Her heart swelled at his tender words and the northron reached up, licking his cheek as if to say I love you.
[/size]
[size=11.6667px%]you can archive here or after another post if you want? Thanks for the thread! :)[/size]