Broken Boulder i know the world's a broken bone, but melt your headaches, call it home
558 Posts
Ooc —
Master Therapist
Private 

A gentle rain had settled over the Sanctuary during the early morning that broke just before noon.  The humidity had been leeched from the air and the sun was gentle and warm; a perfect day to begin working.  She set about the grassy area of the Sanctuary and it was there she found @Alarian picking at the ground.  She greeted him with a chuff as she approached, head dipped and tail tucked — something she had carried over from the Sunspire.

Would you like some help?

[Image: 70c0c50922211f79c19a9fbb2dbe797a.png]

1,293 Posts
Ooc —
forward-dated to the day after this thread
He feels sick. Bile rises in his throat every few minutes like clockwork, and his limbs are faintly trembling. The more he lets himself think about the fact that he shouldn't be here, that he's betraying the only direction he'd ever really had in life, the worse he feels. Delight has gone on a small trip out of the territory — what a time to choose, he thinks, wondering if it's intentional. It hurts a little either way, even though it shouldn't.
He feels distinctly alone, so he takes to gathering herbs with a vengeance. There's something wonderfully mind-numbing about it. He can forget that everyone he loves would rather be anywhere but with him. Seabreeze's approach is both unexpected and unwelcome, the latter feeling only lasting a few beats; he can't bring himself to resent her gentle presence, not for long.
Sure, He tells her, voice thick and uneven, and swallows. Thanks. He returns to his work in silence, feeling like an ass for not making conversation but not trusting himself to say anything.
558 Posts
Ooc —
Master Therapist

Alarian's entire demeanor is anxious and unwelcoming, but she swallows the feeling of being resented (for she had shouldered it much too long in Sunspire) and moves to his side.  They work in silence for some time.  She allows him the time he needs to compose himself as she listens to the quiet twitter of birdsong.  

After some time she turns to look at him, a bundle of herbs at her feet.  Would you like to talk about it?

1,293 Posts
Ooc —
They work in silence for a little while, and during that time he manages to relax a little. So when she finally presents him with a question, he doesn't completely want to turn tail and run. Oh, um, He's really that obvious, isn't he? I'm just — I haven't seen my brother in a few days. I'm worried.
When he puts it that way, this whole crisis seems a little silly — but he can't shake the feeling, no matter how hard he tries to rationalize it. More worried than I should be, probably, He admits. But — I'm sure it'll be fine. He tries to believe it.
Are you settling in alright? He can't help but ask, ever a compulsive subject-changer. But he does want to know; it's his job to make the Sanctuary a welcoming place, even if he shirks this duty most of the time.
558 Posts
Ooc —
Master Therapist

She seems to have caught him off guard.  She bristles internally for only a second, feeling like perhaps she shouldn't have pried, before she calms.  This is her job, after all, and if he's willing to open up to her she should be more than happy to listen.

It's not unreasonable to be worried, but it's only been a few days.  Is that unusual for, uh, around here?  She remembers some of her packmates would run off without another word and show up days or weeks later; that just seemed to be how things were (despite it being discourteous).

I am, she says with a nod.  My, uh, Olive and I are much happier here.  It seems as if Delight's children do not care for ours, though.  I hope that changes.

1,293 Posts
Ooc —
He shrugs. Most of our members don't really leave often, no. I do — and I don't mind if anyone does. It's just... not really normal for him. At least since he's been here, Maybe Zamael rediscovered his wanderlust? The thought helps a little. Not as much as he wants it to.
He doesn't miss the way she pauses over what to call her sister — she did mean sister literally, right? Weird. Anyway. I'm glad you're settling in well. I'm uh, sorry to hear about the kids... He's not sure what to do about that, really. It's definitely Queenie's influence.
They've lost their mother recently — she left without a word. And honestly, she was... not a great mother, He grimaces slightly. Oh, this feels like gossiping. It's not, though, right? They're... probably better off with Delight anyway, really, but I'm sure the loss is affecting them. Maybe with some time, being around other kids and mothers will help.
558 Posts
Ooc —
Master Therapist

At least since he's been here.  Maybe he has picked up the habit from you, she banters lightly.  Maybe it isn't appropriate, but this man is in some way attached to Delight somehow, right?  He needed to like her, because she couldn't imagine what it would be like if one of Delight's closest-whatevers didn't like her.

It's alright, she says, trying to assure him.  I'm sure Delight is a wonderful father.  It's not a reflection of him or the Sanctuary at all.  I am sorry to hear about their mother, though...

Seabreeze knew that she and Olive were no replacement for a mother that was missed, but perhaps they could be a positive influence nonetheless.