Bearclaw Valley if the sun was always shining and our load always light
i will pry his bony fingers free
1,207 Posts
Ooc —
All Welcome 
"hey -- nuna -- come here," indra instructed (or plead, depending on who recounted this), casting @Nunataq a pointed look as she hunkered down between two thick tangles of sedge. ahead of them the valley spread out and grass flecked its expanse, while the arms of the stony range hung round the wide basin like the hands of a giant.

tucked in that bowl of grass and stone and sparse tree was a herd of deer; indra had only just spotted their nubuck coats, and if nunataq was quiet perhaps she could show her up close the thrill of the hunt -- and the very likely subsequent failure of the hunt as a result.
now the wren has gone to roost and the sky is turning gold,
and like the sky, my soul is also turning.
Jalapeño
470 Posts
Ooc —
As Nunataq neared her fifth month in life she began to gradually mature. She had still retained her hyperactive ways, driving everyone crazy with her high energy levels and constant need to do something that challenged her mind and body, but at the same time she would now often pay more attention to, what adults were doing, learning the world order from them. She often pretended to be guarding borders or hunting, though her attempts to ben adult were just as cute and awkward as a child trying to walk in her mother's high-heeled shoes.

This, however, meant that you did not have to ask (or plead) Nuna twice to engage her in something new. She readily responded to Indra's call, knowing that her caretaker always had good tricks up her sleeve, and followed her to the place, where the deer were. She watched the large beings with keen interest, then turned to eye the russet she-wolf to ask a question. What are you up to?
1,207 Posts
Ooc —
indra watched as the stilt-legged beasts moved through the mist, brushing soft grey-green grass aside as their muzzles grazed. she flickered a meaningful gaze to nunataq -- who presently had crept up alongside her attentive as a star pupil. she hunched her shoulders and leaned down pointedly in the grass -- as if to suggest the girl should imitate her bent form.

the cervine elegance of a deer was beyond words; indra eyed their gamine forms, athletic, trim -- built for swift escape and careful cunning. it was unlikely the two would fell one today. all the same, she could teach the girl the pitfalls of the hunt -- and show her ways to scavenge from defeat if necessary.

once nunataq mirrored her, indra would sweep forward cautiously -- taking care to scent the wind occasionally and note the direction in which it traveled; a few times it swung wide of them but changed course - each time it adjusted its harried course indra froze, eyeing nunataq so she might understand the wolf's trepidation in pressing closer.
Jalapeño
470 Posts
Ooc —
Nuna read Indra's body language and quickly assumed the position that was required for the upcoming hunt. Having spent most of her waking hours harrassing, sneaking up to, attacking and chasing the other puppies, she naturally assumed that they were in a similar game now. Except, who were going to be the objects, was left to find out.

At this moment she had not connected the stilt-legged beasts and the stealthy way Indra acted. She was curious of the odd beings, but she did not recognize them as a source of food, having always received the ready-to-eat version and sort of assuming that this was something adults found lying around. Somewhere.

The way Indra moved towards the deer, puzzled Nuna, who instead of following in her caretaker's footprints, stayed behind and eyed the older wolf as if she was a bit weird. What kind of game was that? Why didn't you charge? Therefore this time she did not mirror the actions, rather ambled carelessly up to her and reached to nuzzle the fur on the side of her face, as if to remind that this was not, how you used to play games.
1,207 Posts
Ooc —
crouched among the tangle of grass and weed, indra looked back in time to see nunataq amble towards her, oblivious to what was at stake. whooosh! indra's ears folded and she rumbled disapprovingly, sucking air between her teeth in a quiet hiss designed to instruct nunataq to listen to her.

she shot several pointed looks from the girl, to the deer -- who thankfully, had yet to notice either inept predator. the wind favored them that day, a stroke of luck they would be rarely afforded.

once she was certain she had nunataq's attention, she overplayed a look of interest on her face and lifted her muzzle dramatically, inhaling loudly enough for the girl to hear and hopefully, repeat; the scent of deer was mingled with meadow and pine in the wind, but it was unmistakable as it threaded its way to them.
Jalapeño
470 Posts
Ooc —
What now? Nuna sat down and looked at her caretaker, questioning the reasons behind the very clear "Stop it!" signal she had received in response to her affectionate approach. She followed Indra's gaze to and back from the deer and around the third time, a lightbulb lit up above that little not-so-bright head. She sprang to her feet, stood tall and scrutinized the deer with an intensity of an expertly thrown dagger.

She shot a side-glance to Indra, wagged the tip of her tale in understanding. Okay. Those guys, right? And though she had not the slightest idea, why the big ungulates were of such importance, she decided not to question or suggest anything of her own. Sometimes it was good to simply follow orders and not think too much about them.

But this resolution crumbled, when the teacher overdid a little of, what Nunataq was supposed to do next. This peculiar pattern of breathing was so odd that it required for the cub to sit down again and give another of those What the hell? looks and wonder, if everything was alright with Indra. Because now it felt that she was acting strange. Were the big guys responsible for this?
1,207 Posts
Ooc —
lmao nuna omg

she looked out of the corner of her eye, and caught nunataq's expression. absolutely confused, and possibly concerned: good job indra, you're a terrible teacher. no gold star, class dismissed, plz stop trying.

indra straightened her posture a bit and brought her paw to her nose, as if pointing at it and saying use this -- she then buried her nose in a sprout of grass close to them, which had been obviously trampled by the deer. the wind still coursed in their favor, but indra was far from relaxed as she turned around and slouched towards the grazing herd.

she looked behind her a few times to see if nunataq followed -- but then the wind shifted, coursing up their furred backs and carrying their scent directly to the herd. immediately indra froze, her face apprehensive as she studied the deer, which were sure to notice them any second now...
Jalapeño
470 Posts
Ooc —
Nunataq still considered Indra's actions weird - out of respect for her teacher she followed them with interest, but made no move to repeat them, because they did not make any sense to her. The logic of an almost teenager and beware, because there was more of this second-guessing to come.

However, things changed, when the wind began to blow from a different direction, and the hunter apprentice's attention shifted from her teacher to the deer. She watched the big brown beasts for a long time in a suspicious silence and concentration. And then - all of a sudden - the cub sprang to her feet and charged right to (and into) the herd. At full speed, like a little rocket.
1,207 Posts
Ooc —
the den-mother could tell she was losing her audience -- a few glances to and from nunataq and indra knew all she needed to know -- that their excursion was soon to be doomed. no sooner had she come to such a conclusion the little dove burst forth from the shield of long-bladed tussocks, hauling ass towards the deer with all the rapacious grace of a drunkard.

"nuna, no!" might have formed on her tongue, and possibly even spilled into the wind -- yet it was a useless cry, gone behind her as if torn by the wind. she sprung into action and bounded quickly as she could after the girl so she would not be trampled... as for the deer, indra paid them little mind, her only object of attention the darting form of the girl that was soon to be in peril.
Jalapeño
470 Posts
Ooc —
Deer might have paid no mind to the still considerably small canid that was dashing towards them, had it not been for the effect of a sudden surprise. It took only one of them to flee, to make the whole herd scatter. Soon Nuna was running among them, avoiding the accidental kicks of the hard hooves, but otherwise enjoying the thrill and the rush of adrenaline.

She remembered about Indra only, when the deer had turned out to be quicker than her and reached the nearest forest. With burning lungs, heart beating rapidly and with heaving chest from all the exertion she watched, how last of the big beasts disappeared among trees. Then she half-turned around to see, where Indra was.
1,207 Posts
Ooc —
like buckshot the deer scattered, their fleet limbs carrying them in a pace indra had no hopes to match. nunataq was among the small stampede and indra's throat tightened, a panic quick as the deer overcoming them.

yet the dust settled quickly, and nunataq remained unharmed, slowing down to a plucky gait and then watched as the deer disappeared into the forest. indra pulled up alongside her with a heave and a pant, watching the treeline while gently shaking her head in bemused disapproval.

so much for lunch.
Jalapeño
470 Posts
Ooc —
Though Nunataq was highly perceptive of other people's body language and expressions, at times she purposefully ignored what she did not want to see. So now, she shook of the disapproval in Indra's gaze, and simply beamed back at her. A job well done, eh? Those weirdos are not gonna come back. Her proud smile and puffed out chest seemed to say.

Then she bumped her muzzle lightly against her caretaker's shoulder, inviting her to go home now and do something else. With this much excitement, Nuna was ready to settle for a bit of a nap.

Last one from me, but we can definitely have a new hunting lesson. :)
1,207 Posts
Ooc —
the deer were gone, but nunataq remained spirited; indra had looked longingly at the place where they had disappeared, distracted by the gentle buff of the girl's nuzzle. her ears turned and she returned her attention to the girl, placing a quick lick along nunataq's forehead.

"i suppose we can try another day. let's go see merrick, huh?" indra suggested, moving into a fluid trot in invitation. a nap at this juncture was hardly a bad idea, and indra grew more tired as the two made for the rendezvous.