Stone Circle Visit
24 Posts
Ooc — Sable
All Welcome 
@Valette, Cori's hear to learn about Easthollow. :)

A few curious run-ins with others had left Coriander feeling optimistic. For so long, she'd craved companionship, conversation at the very least, a sense that her presence was welcome and wanted. Twice now she had felt that, or something close to it, and it bolstered her. Somewhere here, among these new lands, was bound to be a group that would take her in and give her everything she wished for--a place that needed her as much as she needed them.

It was too soon for her to know where that would be yet. Though her loneliness begged her to go about finding a new home faster, the girl was smart enough to know she needed to make her decision count. Cori traveled, searched, heading east from where she had originally made her first acquaintance and marveling at all the unique territories she passed along the way. Fens, forests, and mountain passages were giving way to valleys and open spaces; she liked the range and diversity.

Are the wolves as diverse as the land? Even as she thought it, a new scent caught her attention, strong and poignant upon the air. It made her stop short without realizing why at first, her nose busily taking in the smell and trying to identify it. Though it was strikingly different, it reminded her of the scents her father and mother used to leave around their home, deterring others from trespassing where their family resided. But these scents...they weren't just the smell of a small, tight-knit family. These were many more than that.

Cori's curiosity was piqued. The strength of the scent made her naturally leery of crossing it but also made her intrigued. Who resided within this boundary? What big family created such a heavy border? Not knowing enough to howl and call for those within, the naive wolf began to walk alongside the scent, staying well and clear from it but peering inside with an open and honest interest.
"The mountains do not break to the wind nor does the sky change for a single individual."
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
Out on his evening patrol of Easthollow's territory, Greyback caught the scent of an animal through the wind. It was clear they  were a ways away, but probably close to the border. Interest piqued, he turned and lifted his head into the air, catching the scent and following it against the breeze.

Reaching the meadow and standing within the tall green grass, Greyback caught a small figure walking along the borders. The pale orange and timber marked fur, along with the size almost had him mistake the canine for a coyote. What were they trying to do? Moving forward, Greyback strode up to her with a calm expression, but raised posture. If they were here to steal food or harm the pack, he would be ready to intimidate them.

"Greetings," He announced, looking down at her. "I'd be careful trailing the border, miss. Someone might get the wrong idea." He turned to look over his shoulder for a quick second to see if any of his other pack mates were near before looking back. "Are you in need of something?"

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette had been close, she had been showing her children where the caches were if they were hungry. Once she showed them how to dig up meat and what was good and what was bad Valette left them to figure it out on their own. They didn't need her for everything. Before she would want to sit and watch over them but this being her second litter she was growing far more relaxed with them and raising her young.

Valette wanted to have a look around the border to see how the scent marks were doing when she heard Greyback talk. The female was curious and approached the large male. It seemed that some wolf was close to their borders. Valette perked up her ears when seeing the female. Valette greeted Greyback and kept her eyes on the stranger. Since she heard Greyback ask if she needed anything she didn't offer the same. Instead, she just listened what the female was going to say.
24 Posts
Ooc — Sable
She continued moving until she spotted someone within the border. A large, dark shape appeared to be walking alongside the scent marker, and as they neared it became clear the individual was headed her way. As she stopped, Coriander made a careful and cautious step backward. Was she too close? The wolf didn't appear to be hostile or even defensive, but despite her naivety she knew enough to realize she may have overstepped somehow.

Or maybe not yet. Standing meek and uncertainly before the pack wolf, Cori received her greeting and word of warning with a silent, almost nervous stare, and her amber-brown eyes shifted to take in the approaching female who joined them. She shifted on her feet, resisting the instinct she had to take another step back, and folding her ears in apology muttered, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was only curious."

Was it right to be so honest about these things? She couldn't see the truth entirely saving her from reprimand if she'd somehow overstepped and earned the ire of this family group--she certainly wouldn't have expected such grace from her mother toward someone snooping close to their home. "I haven't known so many wolves to live together in one place," Coriander explained, consciously keeping her head low and her posture neutral, "I just...wanted to know what that was like."
"The mountains do not break to the wind nor does the sky change for a single individual."
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I was only curious."

Greyback watched as the timid she-wolf stepped back, drinking in her anxious behavior with his amber gaze. He felt a bit of sympathy for her, wondering if her current actions were caused by some unfortunate history. No wolf should have to apologize so deeply for something so little as curiosity. He mentally reprimanded himself for his past actions and shook his head at the stranger with a calm smile before lowering his posture slightly in attempt to ease some of that anxiety away.

It was then, that he felt Valette approach. He regarded his friend with a fond look before turning his attention back to the newcomer. "It's quite alright, " He reassured, his voice gentle. "We are not cross with you- there's no need to apologize, you did nothing wrong."

"I haven't known so many wolves to live together in one place,  I just...wanted to know what that was like."

"I think... ," Greyback looked to Valette, knowing it was ultimately her decision to take in new members. He knew she would most likely say yes, Valette always had a soft heart to others at their borders. He doubted she would say no. "We might be able to help. What is your name, Miss? "

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Sorry for the wait! Busy Weekend!

Valette stood next to the large male as he assured the timid female that she had done nothing wrong. In fact, she had done nothing wrong instead of being curious. Valette was always quite welcoming to strangers. It mostly depended on the stranger's behavior. This female seemed curious about their pack life. It made the female wonder, didn't she grew up in a pack? Had she not lived in a pack before?

"Like Greyback said, you have nothing to fear," Valette assured. "This is Easthollow, a family-based pack. I'm Valette, I am the leader," she explained after Greyback asked for her name. Perhaps she was interested in joining them, something that Valette was open for. They were a family-based pack in the sense of everyone becoming part of their family.
24 Posts
Ooc — Sable
Despite being approached by two pack wolves, the curious female wasn't in trouble. Cori had feared it, expected it even, and was relieved when the burly male addressed her gently, reassuring her that she'd done nothing to earn in their bad favor. Even the female beside him appeared tolerant, watching her with what Coriander viewed as a kindly expression. She'd clearly misunderstood their approach.

She relaxed slowly, and the unease began to fade from her eyes as she looked between them. It seemed as if an offer was being made, some way these wolves could explain pack life to her, and Cori's ears perked with interest. "I'm Coriander," she stated, and then quietly repeated the pack name provided by Valette. "Easthollow..." A family-based pack. Wasn't that just what she'd been looking for--hoping for?

Questions swam within the depths of her amber-brown gaze, dancing on her tongue as she quickly sorted through them for one to ask. Where did she even begin? "Family... Are you all related?" Was that what she'd meant by family-based? Cori couldn't see the resemblance between these two wolves if they were relatives, but she knew that wasn't always a clear indicator--she herself hadn't resembled her own mother much, taking strongly after the females on her father's side. It only made her wonder how likely it was outsiders were allowed to join them, if they were at all.
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
Greyback glanced to Valette as she gave Coriander information on the pack before he looked back to the stranger. He could see her testing the name of Easthollow on her lips. He would be thrilled to have her within the pack, she looked dependable and friendly enough for his eyes, though he knew strangers weren't everything they came off as. Many held up fronts of deceitfulness but he believed everyone deserved an equal change. The girl had not given them reason to think otherwise yet.

"Family... Are you all related?"

The man felt his skin grow hot just a bit as the question was asked. "Not all of us." He answered "Some are, but we treat everyone as if they were of our own kin." Greyback couldn't remember who was all related. Surely Valette and her children, as well as him and his daughter. Was Howl related? He couldn't remember. "Tell us, what do you know of packs miss Coriander?" He noticed the girl had said she hadn't known so many wolves living together. Was it possible she had never been in one of her own? 

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Greyback did a fine job of explaining about Easthollow. There was a big difference between family pack and family0based pack but she could understand such small word difference would not be known to the female. Valette saw everyone as her family. They used to be a bigger family group with Nanook and Clary still being there. Now it was just a couple of them who were blood-related. Valette just nodded after Greyback spoke to show her that she agreed with his words. "Exactly," she confirmed verbally.

Greyback asked the good questions. It sounded like the female wasn't familiar with big packs, just like Venus. How curious that they encountered more wolves that didn't grow up in a pack. Or perhaps she was just assuming things wrong and this female did grow up in a pack.
24 Posts
Ooc — Sable
"Oh." Not related, then. That was nice. Actually, that was exactly what she was looking for, if she was being honest with herself. Coriander missed the closeness of family, of knowing she could trust someone that deeply to have her back and support her when she needed it. "That sounds really nice." She glanced between Greyback and Valette admirably.

The male continued to lead the conversation, inquiring after how much she knew about packs. Cori's ears tipped back self-consciously, knowing she didn't know much. "I've heard about them," she admitted timidly, "my mom and dad used to live in one. They told me theirs was kind of small, and those in it tended to keep to themselves unless something big happened."

As uninspiring as the description had been, Coriander often wondered if not all packs were like that. Easthollow, so far from what she'd been able to gather, didn't sound very much like that at all.
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
"My mom and dad used to live in one. They told me theirs was kind of small, and those in it tended to keep to themselves unless something big happened."

Greyback listened as Coriander explained what she knew about packs. He was glad she thought Easthollow sounded nice, and she wasn't very far off about packs in general, but he found it weird that wolves didn't talk much to each other in her parents pack. What kind of pack was that? The man could never live in one like that, he needed to be close to others if he was going to live with them.

He gave a thoughtful hum before answering back, "That's very unusual for packs, I've never come across something like that before," He glanced to his friend, silently asking if she had ever seen something like that too before turning his attention back to the new female. He would like to say more but knew Valette probably should take the lead.

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette frowned when she heard about the pack that the female's parents were born in. Valette agreed with Greyback's words. She had never encountered such packs, although if she heard about her mother's pack and some rumors it didn't seem that it was that strange. In her mother's pack, they bullied their own, and not even to speak of Blackfeather where they assassinate and other horrible stuff. "Quite unusual," she agreed with Greyback.

"Are you with a pack now?," she inquired. "If not, perhaps you would be interested in joining us?," she wondered. Perhaps the female wanted to know what it is like to be in a more social pack. They had allies they were social with, and within the pack, there was usually a lot of chatter.
24 Posts
Ooc — Sable
It seemed her doubts about her parents' pack were justified. Neither Greyback or Valette confirmed what she'd said but instead denied it, claiming that such a pack with isolated members was unusual and frankly unheard of. Cori blushed slightly for being so misinformed, but was grateful at least to now know the truth; a truth that she very much was relieved by.

She gave her head a little shake, expressing that she wasn't currently with any pack, and let her eyes grow wide with surprise at the offer that followed. "Really?" Coriander asked, her quiet voice a mixture of disbelief and hope. "You'd...let me join your pack?" It was too good to be true, in her eyes, a more than generous offer come unexpectedly. But wolves here were more generous and kind, more considerate and compassionate.

A small smile touched her face, but her eyes glittered with a growing joy mirrored in the controlled wag of her tail. "I'd like that, if I can. Please."
508 Posts
Ooc — Wilthking
Sorry for the late reply! I have a lot of threads open at the moment so im trying to close a few to move on plot wise with Grey!
"Quite unusual,"

Greyback listened as Valette agreed with him and continued to speak with Corriander. He was glad they were hitting it off. With a flick of his ear he looked at the sun and noticed it was a little past midday. Turning back to them, he bowed slightly and said his goodbyes. "Forgive my impertinence, but I must be taking my leave now Miss Coriander. It was a pleasure to meet you." He turned to Valette and gave her a nod before trotting off into the field. 

Mother Overlord
2,653 Posts
Ooc — Mar
Deerstalker
Tracker
Master Ranger
Valette nodded to Greyback when he wanted to continue. She could handle it from here. Valette glanced as the male moved away. She was glad for Greyback to join their ranks. Hopefully, it would be the same for Coriander. "Of course, if you want to," Valette spoke. "It sounds like you want to," she corrected herself with a chuckle. The dark female wagged her tail kindly.

"You are welcome to join us. Of course, in return for protection, food and companionship we ask that you would help out by doing the things you like doing. For example, I like hunting so I often lead the hunts, while Greyback helps me with the borders as I don't like it as much as hunting," Valette explained to the female. She felt that she would be a very good fit for their pack. "If you are willing to do that then you are accepted in our pack."