Greatwater Lake Drink
24 Posts
Ooc — Sable
All Welcome 
Setting this before Cori arrives at Easthollow.

The sun, Cori was delighted to note, had broken through the thick cloud cover that had been hanging around the past couple days, brightening up the region and providing a nice, optimistic light with which to view the new world. As she trotted swiftly along, eastward through grassy valleys dotted by trees and other vegetation, the wolf observed it all through a pair of bright, amber-brown eyes, set inside a gently smiling expression. She was really enjoying herself now that she'd found other wolves, and she was constantly looking forward to her next interaction.

That next interaction was sure to happen soon enough. The further she traveled, the more she noted of scents and telling markers of the wolves who had traveled before her, wolves that she had likely just missed by hours if not minutes. She knew if she stayed in one place long enough someone would find her, but Coriander was much too eager to sit still. Thankfully there was still so very much to see.

Like it did with most other creatures, the water brought the wolf to it. The thought of a drink after so much travel was alluring, but the sight of the massive water source was enough in itself to attract attention. "Wow." It was possibly--no, certainly was the largest lake Coriander had ever seen in her meager two years. It seemed to stretch on forever, and as she stood marveling over the sight she temporarily forgot her thirst. "I wonder how many fish are in it..."
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Things seemed to be looking up for Rue. The young lady had finally broken free of the mountains just as it seemed the sun had broken free of its veil. She had almost mistaken the massive body of water on the horizon as the ocean, but as she neared she realized she had not yet reached her goal. The lake was much too quiet to be the crashing seas in Rue's stories, and it was much too clean and pure on her senses. The ocean would have overwhelmed her with its saltiness-- at least at first. That's what everyone always said. 

Nevertheless, there was a quiet comfort in approaching the still waters. Rue waded in a few paces and let the cool shallows lap up over her aching paws. A curious voice drifted across the water, and Rue turned to face the source of the voice. It was a kind voice, she thought, though she couldn't really put a paw on why she felt that way. Perhaps it was just the optimism of the day. 

I wonder if we can get any out, she responded to the previous question, hoping to capture the other wolf's attention if she hadn't already. Rue raised her voice a bit to be heard, and the still water also helped amplify her typically quiet tones. Rue did not move toward the other woman yet, but she did wave her tail in a friendly manner.
24 Posts
Ooc — Sable
Cori's ears perked when an unexpected voice responded to her. She'd been so enrapt by the lake, she hadn't taken the proper attention to notice the other female there in the shallows of the water, glancing her way. The friendly tail wag and equally friendly tone of voice eased any uncertainty stirred in Coriander by being suddenly with company, and she smiled back with a few sways of her own tail as she moved to join the other wolf.

"Might be tricky," she reasoned, her gaze traveling across the length of the lake again, "but maybe. If any of them come up this far, anyway." How often did the scaly things come up this close to the edge of the water? Would catching one require swimming out into deeper water? Even the thought alone sounded difficult.

Striding forward so that she too stood with her paws in the lake, Coriander dipped her head and took a swift drink before looking to the other female with a smile. "I'm Coriander, by the way," she stated as she straightened, happy for the opportunity to introduce herself again. There seemed to be a continous supply of new faces to meet in these parts, and she rather liked it.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
The woman had an easy smile and a friendly way about her, so Rue welcomed her approach with a reserved smile of her own. She nodded in areement with the woman's statement. Pulling a fish from such an expansive body of water seemed damn near impossible. Rue could fish out of the river with the best of them when the salmon were running, but that was different-- all you really had to do was open your mouth and a salmon would practically jump in. Rue was doubtful as to whether lake fish would be so accommodating. 

"It was said that my ancestors could pull fish from the ocean," she mused, brow furrowed as she looked out over the glassy surface of the lake. It was not a boast so much as it was a statement of awe. Of disbelief. She shook her head again. "Maybe that was just talk."

The young lady's honey eyes drifted to the other as she introduced herself. "Ruenna," she answered, Of Red Fern Glade she almost finished, as she had been trained to say from birth. Instead she cut off her speech a little abruptly after giving her name. She wasn't Of Red Fern Glade anymore. She wasn't of anything, anymore.
24 Posts
Ooc — Sable
The ocean? Coriander wracked her brain for a few seconds, trying to draw up any recollection she had of such a place. Had her father or mother ever mentioned an ocean before? But yes, they had. It had been mainly said in passing, a particular trip they had taken before the children arrived, but no details had been shared about it--save her mother mentioning a strong smell.

"I don't know too much about the ocean," she admitted, inclining her head thoughtfully, "but drawing fish out of anything must be a feat." Cori knew enough about catching small animals to get by, to keep herself fed, but fishing was an entirely different skill. If there was any bit of truth to the story Ruenna claimed existed about her ancestors, then they must have been very specialized in what they did--and admired for that talent. "Your ancestors must have been very impressive."

Was it an inherited skill? As her gaze traveled across the lake's surface again, Cori asked in the same quiet, thoughtful voice as before, "Are you very familiar with fishing? I'm afraid I'm not."
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Ruenna nodded her agreement. It's supposed to be so big that it's impossible to walk around it. If you try, you'll just walk beside it. For forever, she added, ..Or so they say. It's not like Rue knew anything from firsthand experience. 

A small laugh escaped from Rue at the comment on her ancestors. Quite. They seemed to grow more impressive with every story, and every passing year. Some of the stories had become so far-fetched that you would think the ancestors were damn-near gods. 

Was she familiar with fishing? Sure, I grew up near a river. But that kind of fishing is.. really different, I think. We wolves might have better luck hunting the creatures that fish rather than the fish themselves.
24 Posts
Ooc — Sable
The description of the ocean Ruenna provided sounded fantastical to Coriander, but she didn't try to dispute the other wolf's claim. What was the point until she saw it for herself? If this lake was already so wide, who was to say the ocean didn't actually stretch on forever? "I think I'd like to see it someday," she remarked absently, mostly to herself.

She was happy to hear that her company had experience fishing, though it seemed there was much more to it than Cori had expected. River fishing and lake fishing are different? She could see, as she thought about it, how this could be so, though it certainly hadn't occurred to her before. "That's probably true," Coriander responded with a chuckle, "I don't think I'd be very good at fishing."
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Rue nodded her agreement. She would also like to see the ocean, and that was actually why she had picked a westward direction for her travels. According to her family, the nearest ocean was west. Rue could see for herself whether the ocean was as magnificaent as everyone insisted and whether the sea wolves were as impressive as they were made out to be. 

Rue shrugged at the other's admission. "Fishing is a lot of work for very little reward," she commented, dismissing the idea of fishing after catching onto the other wolf's air of self-doubt. "What kinds of things are you good at?" she asked conversationally, quickly adding, "Sorry if that was prying, you don't have to answer." Rue's gaze drifted out over the water to concel her embarassment. "It's been awhile since I last had a conversation." Hopefully that would be an adequate explaination for her social ineptitude.
24 Posts
Ooc — Sable
"Oh." She looked surprised, perhaps disappointed, to hear Ruenna's opinion on fishing. She'd assumed someone who's family had a history of it would have higher praise on the practice, but...maybe she knew too well the truth about it. At any rate, Coriander had no reason to doubt her knowledge.

The inquiry that followed caused Cori to open her mouth and stall, momentarily unsure how best to answer, but her companion seemed to rethink her question and apologize for it before she could. Once more, the timber-marked wolf was surprised; maybe she was too willing to converse, but the question hadn't sounded out of line to her.

"Oh no, that's okay," she quickly responded with a reassuring smile, "I don't mind. I'm actually not sure what I'm good at. I can hunt okay, but..." For a second, she hesitated, averting her eyes self-consciously before she continued slightly quieter, "I'm too soft. I don't like fighting, or even arguing. Tender-hearted my dad called it. It worried my mom."

Coriander managed to lift her gaze to meet Rue's with a sheepish look. "I don't think it's bad, how I am. But I don't know that it's good either." Beneath the pale fur of her face, her cheeks burned with sudden embarrassment. Maybe she shouldn't have been so candid.
856 Posts
Ooc — Zoo
Master Ambassador
Advisor
Coach
Despite her initial pause and Ruenna's redaction, Coriander still seemed determined to answer the question. However, instead of offering up her strengths, she spoke only of characteristics that others considered weaknesses. Rue could certainly relate. 

"My parents had similar concerns for me." Although Rue learned reluctantly, she had never felt any sort of real enthusiasm for hunting or fighting. "They thought I might be best suited for motherhood, and they were perplexed when I.." How to put it? "..turned down the opportunity last season." 

Rue shrugged, unwilling to label Coriander's nature as inherently good or bad. "I'm sure you find ways to be useful. The right pack will have a place for you." The words of comfort she offered Coriander were words that she often spoke to herself but wasn't quite sure she believed. Neither a hunter or a fighter, Rue was ill-suited to life as a lone wolf, but without a talent for either trade she had little to offer to a potential pack.

Rue took in a breath, also feeling a bit embarassed with the content of what she had shared. She figured that the feeling was an indication that it was time to push on. "It was nice speaking with you, Coriander. And.. I wish you luck." Rue smiled at the other woman before making her departure. It had been refreshing to speak with someone so pleasant, and perhaps the other wolves in these parts would be as friendly as her. One could only hope. 

Edit to exit Rue, since Coriander is currently inactive.