Heron Lake Plateau I just woke up in my underwear
420 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater
All Welcome 
The summer light had begun to take on a sharp quality, and the air currents had become more volatile, blustering and cold, indicating that the season was transitioning. Perhaps it had been happening for a while. Ambrose didn't want to admit to himself that he'd failed in his attempts to ingratiate himself and earn the respect of these wolves — not because he didn't like them or anything — it was more like his ego had taken a beating since the bear attack. Ambrose had been keeping to himself more often than he should've been, blaming the recovery. Mostly he was brooding. The thought that he'd lost a bet to Bruges of all people really got under his skin.

However, with his wounds well cared for and some impressive scars to show off, he was back in action. Or rather, more active than he had been the previous week or so. Patrols were always easy for the boy, but he took a new interest in his work and made sure to hit the west and the north edges of the territory before midday; by the time he took his first break the day was almost over, and his belly was grumbling at him.

Ambrose chose to detour along the lakeside. If he was going to get himself something to eat, he wasn't about to tap in to the cache system. He'd much rather find something fresh and stow the rest of it — winter was coming, and all that.
138 Posts
Ooc —
Under @Raven's watchful eye, Phoebe had trailed along with her mother on a brief excursion to the lake. Where her mother hoped to gather more herbs, it was a prime opportunity for her little protege to not only see a new part of the plateau but help. Or at least help as much as a child could, anyway. The trip had so far been largely uneventful but informative as she had barraged her mother with endless questions.

Questions that for the most part were silenced once the lakeshore had come into view. She had been about to open her mouth to ask another question when the sight of another dark figure strolling through the grasses and reeds caught her eye. For a moment she thought it may have been her father but alas, no, there were things about this dark-haired wolf that just didn't stack up.

”Hey!” she piped up eagerly, her tail waving immediately. Phoebe didn't know a stranger yet.

hope you don't mind me! tag is for visibility since raven is more or less hanging in the background.
420 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater

He started to wade in to the shallows. The water felt warm at first but became brisk and cold as each step descended. Ambrose stalked along until the water was up to his elbows and began to peer at the surface around him, watching as the ripples caused by his moseying figure dissipated.

Whether there were fish in the lake or not, he couldn't exactly tell. Everything smelled so strongly like birds that the boy wanted to give up and go back to shore, at least to save himself the task of cleaning off later. He dipped his nose in to the water in anticipation for a nose-dive, but stopped when he heard a voice.

Hey!
peeped a youthful stranger, and Ambrose turned his head and forequarter towards the bank where the girl was waiting. Water dribbled off his chin, and he licked his lips to warm them. Hello, he called out to her, and began to wade back to shore. Is this your lake? Ambrose questioned as a warm smile slipped easily across his face.
138 Posts
Ooc —
The wolf started back towards them from the watery shore—Phoebe cast a glance back to her mother as she took study of his water-logged figure—and called out to her. Even though she wanted to curttail the distance between herself and where the water started, she knew her mother would have her scooped up before the thought even crossed her mind. So instead she waited a beat, eyes watching as the tall figure emerged from the murky water and offered him the tilt of her head.

My lake? Well, that would have been something if it had been. Phoebe shook her head instead.

”It's the bird's lake!” she insisted, because well, the herons were all over the place. They gave the wolves wide berth but the sight of them was unmistakable along the shoreline. But the lake was apart of the pack and while she didn't know the true extent of where their claim laid entirely yet, she had the inklings that it was much larger than the few places she and her siblings were allowed to roam to with company.

”Was you, uh, was you swimming?”
420 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater

The bird's lake, huh? He didn't recall seeing many birds, but he was kind of focused on the stuff beneath the surface rather than along the lake's edge; he turned to regard the area with a sweep of his eyes, and saw some distant stick-thin figures among the reeds. Crafty little things weren't they? He turned back in time with her question.

I was fishing. It's sorta like swimming, but not really. And judging by the amount of water in his coat, Ambrose could've been doing either or. He hadn't caught anything worthwhile yet aside from pond scum.
138 Posts
Ooc —
"Oh, fishing?" She knew a thing or two about that. Okay, not really. "My daddy fishes!" Quixote was the prime fisherman in the household to her, at least since he had brought back that fat fish that one time. There had more than likely been other times too, but she hadn't entirely forgotten her first experience with the slimy, scaly denizens of the lake either.

Nevermind that the dark-haired wolf hadn't exactly been fishing.

"Did you catch somethin'? Or see lots of them? I wanna see the fish but I'm not supposed to go in the water yet. Still too little," but not for long. No, she'd probably take charge on that first venture into the water the moment she got to. Or at least follow the lead that one of her siblings took, as at least Vasa or Owen were more adventurous in what they achieved.