The Sunspire They said follow your dreams, so I went back to bed
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Private 
Ever since the pack meeting, Rueger had wondered when the pack would move. He knew scouts were out and about, checking out territories close to Easthollow. He was reminded of @Valette, the female he had met from there. Rueger was not one of those wolves that fell in love at first sight, but he was certainly interested in the female. He wasn't a chaser, either, but if she was worth it, he just might trot after her. When Rannoch and the other leaders mentioned moving there, his mind was made up to seek her out again. But, that would be sometime in the future. With a chunk of their wolves not here, Rueger would not risk the safety of the pack to visit Easthollow.

He was out patrolling when he caught Rannoch's scent, and he sped up to catch up with his Alpha. When he was in sight, Rueger gave a chuff to announce his presence. Hey, @Rannoch, he greeted. How goes it? he asked.

My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.
~Maya Angelou
Ghost
he came and stole the wild
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
"Oh, Rueger!" Rannoch exclaimed as he turned towards his packmate. "It's going well," he replied, "Just heading back from a patrol, actually." 

Rannoch's response had been a trivial lie; things had been better for the Alpha. The pack meeting hadn't gone as Rannoch expected, and he hoped that the pack didn't fault him for his stumble; he had been floundering too much lately, and he needed to get his act together for the sake of the pack. 

"How about you?" he asked, "Have you been out scouting?"
a crime so old as the sky and bone
he came untied, solid as a stone
all is almost lost and it starts to show
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Rannoch seemed surprised, but happy, to see him, and Rueger wagged his tail softly in a friendly response. He nodded in response to his question, I had thought about it, but with other out scouting for the move, I was worried there wouldn't be enough here to protect this territory in case someone got the bright idea to attack, he responded honestly. Did you have a time frame on the move? he asked.

I met Valette, he added. She seems nice, he added with a slight smile. I don't think she'll mind that we're moving closer. Rueger certainly would mind it, either.

My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style.
~Maya Angelou
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
"I appreciate it," Rannoch replied. "I've been doing the same," he appended. Despite the excitement that came with scouting, Rannoch knew that Sunspire still needed to be protected. In regards to the timeframe, Rannoch shook his head. "We're looking to move as soon as possible," he replied, realizing that his answer might not be satisfactory. "Nothing of interest has been reported, yet." 

Rueger then mentioned Valette by name, and Rannoch was intrigued. "You met Valette?" he asked with interest; he knew that a visit to Easthollow was long overdue. "How long ago did that happen?"
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Rannoch didn't seem upset that he wasn't out and about scouting for new territories, and understood why. Rueger, while a good subordinate, was also independent and didn't need to be told what to do. Sure, Rannoch could order him around, and Rueger would do it, but he tended to get his job done well enough that the leaders didn't have to think too much about him.

He nodded when Rannoch told him no territory had been selected yet, but it was obvious when one was, they would move quickly. His nod continued to confirm he had met Easthollow's Alpha. About two weeks or so ago. Right before the pack meeting, he replied. Met at the waterfall at the base of the mountain, he explained.

~Maya Angelou
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
"That's close," Rannoch observed—the subject of relocation was quickly displaced, "I wonder what she was doing over here. Seems a bit far for her to go." 

After a pause, Rannoch added, "Did she have anything to report from Easthollow?"
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
That thread isn't finished so I'm gonna be vague lol

Rueger wasn't sure if the timing of he and Valette meeting meant anything, but Rannoch seemed curious about it. No, not really, he replied. Was his Alpha looking for something specific? I could always go visit and ask, though, he offered, not being able to hide a grin.
~Maya Angelou
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
I figured! No worries!

"I've actually been meaning to visit her," Rannoch said in response to Rueger's offer. "Easthollow gifted us with a beautiful bison pelt some time ago, and we haven't returned their kind gesture," he paused, noticing the subordinate's smile. "Would you want to come with me? I was thinking of going when some of the scouts report back."
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
His ears perked when Rannoch confessed that he had been meaning to visit Easthollow. Rueger couldn't help but feel things may be falling into place for a reason. Yeah, I can go, he said, maybe a little too casually. Alpha needs his backup, afterall, he joked. He didn't think Rannoch was so obtuse that he wouldn't realize Rueger wanted to see Valette again. But, Rueger would also not put himself out there too quickly. They had met once. For all he knew, she didn't even like him like that. Let me know when, and I'm there.

~Maya Angelou
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
Rannoch couldn't help but smile at Rueger's reply. "I do need my backup," he confirmed with a wave of his tail; Rannoch always appreciated good company while traveling. "We'll go soon," he promised then, noticing the subordinate's unconcealed grin. "But, before we go, we have to find a gift for the pack." 

Rannoch had no idea what to bring them.
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
Rueger was excited for sure, but he contained some of it. No need to put the cart before the horse, after all. He didn't hold back mock shock, though, and teased, Am I not gift enough? Honestly, Rueger wasn't that cocky and the expression quickly changed to mirth to show he was joking.

I'm sure we could find something. I'll keep a look out, he promised.

~Maya Angelou
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
"You know, offering you as the gift might not be a bad plan," Rannoch teased, and he looked Reuger up and down. "I'm sure she'd appreciate it," he added, unsure of Valette's marital status. 

Rueger then added that he would help search for the present, and Rannoch smiled. "Thank you," he replied with a wag of his tail. "They gave us a bison pelt, and I want to give them something just as useful," he paused, and frowned, "But, nothing is coming to mind at the moment..."
88 Posts
Ooc — Mary Ellen
The grin widened on his face as Rannoch joined in on the banter. He found the Alpha to be very likeable, for which he was glad. Rannoch seemed to have a good head on his shoulders, and his wits about him. Definitely a leader worth following.

He tried to think on his toes about a gift that would be equal to, or better than, the bison pelt, but nothing immediately came to mind. I'm sure we'll think of something, he said. I'll scout around the territory, try to find some ideas, he promised. Let me know when you're ready to go? he formed in a question.

~Maya Angelou
Ghost
1,808 Posts
Ooc — Chan
Master Coach
Master Historian
I'll do the same, Rannoch replied, "And I'll come and get you when it's time to go." 

The two wolves parted ways after they shared their lingering thoughts. Rannoch returned to his family's den, and spent some time with his family.