Heron Lake Plateau I roam the city in a shopping cart
420 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater
All Welcome 

Okay, he needed to step up his game. He was starting to go stir-crazy and that wasn't going to do anyone any favors. Ambrose knew that his real issue was with Bruges — that he needed to follow through with their arrangement and meet up with him, and that he'd already missed the deadline by a few days. But he wasn't ready to admit defeat. So what if he wasn't a high ranking member of this pack! So what if he hadn't gotten laid yet! And so fucking what if Bruges wanted to lay in to him for it. He anticipated so much backlash that it kept him from leaving the territory, but he decided that Bruges could suck it.

At least, that's what he told himself as he skulked about the lakeside.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
She expected to feel different without her title, yet Towhee felt exactly the same. That included her gimpy leg, which still showed no signs of revival. She had come to accept that she would never feel it again. It was a tough pill to swallow, yet at the same time, she was proud of how well she was adapting.

After a long, meandering circuit around the plateau, Towhee made her way to the lake for a drink. Maybe today's the day, she mused as she shuffled toward the shore, eyeballing The Roost. She hadn't risked the swim yet. She was afraid the dead weight of her leg would increase drag, not to mention she was down a paddle.

Before she could deliberate much more, she noticed Ambrose skulking along the shoreline. Towhee's ears shifted as she regarded the swarthy Kappa. It was hard to believe he was Niamh's brother; their pelts could not have been more different, save for the auriferous streak down his back. It made her think briefly of the Blackthorns, which reminded her of her godparents. She hoped they were enjoying their trip.

"Hey," she eventually called, setting aside her itinerant thoughts. "Everything all right?" she wondered, noticing the proverbial thundercloud above his brow.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
420 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater

Whatever had him so down in the dumps, it paled in comparison to what was affecting Towhee, and he realized that when she spoke and he turned to look at her, stirred from his thoughts. The events of the past week or so didn't go right over his head. Ambrose had heard talk about the return of some of the wolves, and on occasion Niamh could confide things in him. It wasn't often, since she was so busy all the time, but he got the gist of it. And unfortunately, he couldn't help the look of pity that slipped across his overly expressive face when he realized who had called out to him.

But he tried to smile anyways. What? Me? I'm good. Been pretty quiet around here — for me. Ambrose didn't usually stumble over his words and he knew he sounded like a total asshole right now, and trying to be friendly would only mean talking more and then risk being more of an asshole, so he buttoned up pretty quickly. Then, somewhat randomly, he tried to sign: -Niamh show me talking- but clearly Ambrose wasn't skilled with that yet. Still, he tried.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Towhee was perhaps more fluent in body language and expressions than most, and Ambrose's pitying look did not escape her notice. Her lips pursed, though she quashed the anger that bubbled beneath the surface. She knew he didn't mean anything by it, probably wasn't even aware of it. Although she had relinquished leadership in an acknowledgement that her bum leg was an issue, she was still capable and would make a point to make sure not just Ambrose but every member of Redhawks knew it.

"For me, too," Towhee quipped, a faint and good-humored smirk turning up one corner of her mouth. She wondered if he'd get the joke, taken by surprise when Ambrose went on to sign something to her. Towhee's brows rose, though she smiled. -That's good. I can help you practice too, if you like.- "I can help you practice," she added out loud, just in case he didn't follow.
-Signing.- | "Speaking." | -"Signing & speaking."- | "Mouthing (inaudible)." | Thoughts.

I archive threads if my partner goes inactive and/or there are no new replies for several weeks. I'm more than happy to continue an archived thread if you're interested. Just revive it (via maintenance) and tag me in your next reply. :)
420 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater

She motioned some things back to him, of which he could make out "good" but by the look of slightly overwhelmed confusion that slipped over his face, he must have exhausted most of his repetoire with the phrase he'd signed himself. Still, an easy grin slipped over his face and he let out a little chuckle.

I'd like that. He said.
Have you always been — y'know—? he flicked his ears and did a little side-to-side head bob to reference his own ears; perhaps it was indelicate of him to bring her deafness to light but Ambrose didn't mean any harm by it, he was genuinely curious. 

That, and impressed. She could speak very well for someone with an impairment and she'd even created a language for everyone to use — she was smart as well as driven, and those were good qualities to have, thought Ambrose.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
Ambrose's lips were easy enough to read and Towhee nodded. "I was born this way," she rejoined, taking no offense. She paused, wondering if she always would've taken that inquiry well, especially after his previous pitying look. Once upon a time, she had resented outsiders, primarily because of the challenges being deaf wrought. Towhee had come quite a long way since, which wasn't something she thought on often; it simply struck her in that moment.

The thought passed and Towhee said, "You looked a little perturbed when I walked up," and slowly signed the words as she spoke. "Why?" she questioned, point blank. Striking up an organic conversation was the best way for her to help Ambrose learn, though she was curious for its own sake too.

420 Posts
Ooc — Jitterwater

Ah, so she was born like that. There were worse things to be born with, he thought. At least she had all her limbs, and her eyes, and her ears were there they just didn't want to function. What if she'd been born with two faces? Ambrose tried to picture what Towhee would look like with such a disfigurement but it made him feel kind of sick to his stomach; thankfully she was still born pretty enough to pass as a normal person.

He naturally squinted when he thought of her face being all twisted up like that, though, and that timed with her question. Ambrose had to think quickly lest he blurt out the truth — he wasn't exactly accustomed to lying after all — and so he said, I suck.

A beat later and he elucidated, I'm kinda bummed out because I thought I'd be more accomplished by now. Niamh and I have always been really competitive, and she's — well, she's winning, and I.. I'm still just puttering along. And that was mostly true; he sincerely wished he could be as good as Niamh at this pack thing, which helped his efforts in concealing his deal with Bruges.

Ugh, Bruges. Just the thought of him soured his already tart mood.
Sun Mote Copse
Master
4,956 Posts
Ooc — Kat
Master Guardian
Master Tactician
Master Warrior
His frank reply surprised her, especially after his earlier evasiveness. But Towhee was glad that he'd decided to answer honestly and she listened closely (in her way) as he elaborated. She had to fight to keep a smile from forming on her lips in response. Ambrose wasn't wrong about Niamh: she was a winner. Towhee was pretty proud of her Person. But she didn't want to make him feel worse than he already did over what was clearly a very real concern to him.

"Well, what do you expect? She's the golden child, isn't she?" Towhee jested lightly, hoping it might cheer him a little. She then added, a little more seriously, "Let's start with: what accomplishments do you mean?" She made sure to sign everything as she spoke, if only for exposure and immersion, if not conscientious comprehension.