Swiftcurrent Creek i see fire
dread the day when dreaming ends
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
For @Leaf - if you have time. :)

Life had settled into a pleasant rhythm. The pups were hilarious (cute, yes, but their random bumbling and terrible grasp on language had Bazi in fits), the pack was thriving, and Scimitar had ascended to dizzying heights of dashing.

But Jace wasn't there to enjoy it, and that bothered her. She waited for the memory of her friend to fade, but it was difficult to know that he was right there, prowling around the Sunspire with Ferdie von Pelt. It was cloudy, but the distant peak was still visible where Bazi sat at the river's edge, chewing slowly on the last of a fish she had snatched from the water. Would Fox send another group to chase them off? Was it worth it? How many were they now? She had half a mind to march over there and find out, but an unwillingness to bump into Ferdie kept her from doing so.

The old man had turned out to be so soft, lusting pointlessly after Fox and depriving the pack of an able-bodied wolf whilst doing so. Bazi had taken his unwillingness to commit to the pack as a personal affront, and whatever silly misunderstanding had occurred then were facts now, hard and unyielding. I bet he eats just fine now that he's kind of the castle again, Bazi thought nastily, and spat her chewed-up fish head into the river.
<small><span style="color:#b9745e;letter-spacing:3px;">デクナッツ</span></small>
150 Posts
Ooc — Der
Hehe -feels loved-

It was in the middle of the night when she had awoken with a yelp, realizing her predicament. Though she had the justification that it was under extenuating circumstances that she had joined Swiftcurrent Creek--after all, one of the leaders had plucked her life from the river of tears and death!--she knew he would not understand. The big, black wolf with the blue, blue eyes who had also saved her life from a troop of foxes. She had been surprised they had not mistaken her for one of their own, but even more surprised that this wolf had interceded on her behalf freely. He had saved her for no reason. It seemed she owed a lot of wolves her gratitude.

One wolf that she was particularly indebted to came into view as she continued her morning walk. She was still feeling uncertain about her role in the pack, but even more so considering her divided alliance. The big, black wolf had told her to talk to a wolf named Bazi, but the connection had never occurred to the little red wolf. Not yet, at least.

Approaching her leader in order to properly greet her, she was surprised when the dainty, white wolf most un-daintily spat out her catch. It was then that the little red wolf became aware of a fire that seemed to surround the leader, one of unresolved rage. The sight so uncannily matched her own inner turmoil that she could not help but find it humorous. So the subordinate laughed. "What are you thinking of?" she asked sheepishly. She realized she had forgotten the leader's name and began to look for an opportunity to ask without losing too much face.
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
"What are you thinking of?"

Bazi had been so engrossed in food and angry thoughts that Leaf's bubble of laughter and subsequent question took her quite by surprise. She whipped her fish-smeared face around to find the source, and was quite relieved to see the wolf she had plucked out of the river. Leaf was one of the least grating individuals currently occupying a rank in Swiftcurrent Creek. No teary back-story, no woe-is-me, no expectations. And a following of baby raccoons, which was always a bonus (right)?

"Just...thinking." Bazi licked oil and flaky flesh from her lips, and nodded towards the mountain. "Did you know there's a pack over there?"
150 Posts
Ooc — Der
"Bazi!" the little red wolf choked as her leader whipped her head around and as fear jolted her memory back into place. "Ma'am." Bowing her head down in respect, she peeked at the fish and slightly frowned. Only bones, it seemed. She would not be having her afternoon snack.

Following Bazi's nod, she looked into the distance and once more frowned--though this time the frown was far more serious. "No," she lied, averting her gaze from Sunspire Mountains. "Well, maybe," she said after a short pause. "Yes, I do." Her eyes were shifting from side to side and her tail was thumping nervously on the ground. "I told myself not to go back there after running into a certain member of that pack." That was only partially a lie, for she had forsworn The Sunspire but at the same time, her multiple encounters with Jace had been more than a "run-in."

"I've been a bad girl," she finally admitted with a small whine. How could she not confess her sins? The eyes of her leader pierced her so!
1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
"I've been a bad girl."

Bazi laughed out loud at Leaf's confession - a high, clear sound that might have been a Disney princess or villain; there were elements of both. She dismissed the piteous whine with a brisk shake of her head.

"No, no, you haven't. Their leaders were Swiftcurrent wolves once. The guy in charge was my den-mate, and his second in command was my best friend. I see him, every now and then!" the Beta exclaimed, rolling her eyes at the sheer audacity of her own actions. "My friend - Jace. Can you believe that? It's such a mess. Ferdie is a total nutter, though. Nearly killed a couple of our girls because he was in a bit of slump over Fox. Idiot." Bazi and Ferdie had been close, once, and now the memory of it was a source of great embarrassment. At the time, he had seemed harmless... a little melancholy, but harmless. Apparently, he had been at top of a very slippery slide toward mental instability.
150 Posts
Ooc — Der
-gasps along with her character!-

Ears pinning back as her leader laughed, Leaf peeked warily outwards. She was not sure whether the laugh had been derisive or dismissive. But as Bazi spoke freely of her relationship with Ferdie Von Pelt and Jace, the little red wolf's eyes grew bigger and bigger until she was a veritable deer in the headlights. She had already known that the two Sunspire leaders had once been part of their pack, but to hear that Bazi was "best friends" with her big, black wolf made her feel a twinge of hope--and jealousy.

Her emotions kicked in soon after. "I still don't understand what Ferdie did exactly," she began deceptively slowly and calmly. The story kept changing depending on who told it, but if what Bazi said was true, then Ferdie was not to be trusted. In which case, why did Jace trust him so? "But Miss Bazi! Big Bl--Jace is not harmful. I-I've actually met with him a few times and he's only been kind to me. He even saved me from a troop of foxes once!" Her words came out in a tumble as if she had held her thoughts in for too long. Her voice, breathless.

"I was thinking maybe we could try to get along. Come to some kind of agreement. It doesn't have to be this way," she said. She just wanted everyone to get along. Either that, or she was tired of the tension she felt between her loyalty to Swiftcurrent Creek and her growing loyalty to the boy who could not control his temper.

1,345 Posts
Ooc — Karmencita
Leaf's eyes inflated comically. Bazi responded with an I know, right? brow-raise and nod. "He - Ferdie - went into some kind of.. psychosis, I suppose. Apparently, it's something he's had to deal with all his life. There were two others there - Nightingale and Sky, and he lunged at them when they tried to help. Jace intervened, and he is the only reason the two of them got away without a scratch."

For someone that looked so much like Fox, the red little creature was nothing like the bullheaded leader of the Creek. At Leaf's tale of Jace's heroics, Bazi smiled broadly. "He's like that. A little hot-headed, but he would stick his neck out for anyone." Big, burdened sigh. "At the time, I tried to agree with her, but I think Fox was stupid to let Jace go.. without him around, Ferdie might've gone a little further away, and we wouldn't have all this.. tension. I don't know. We have puppies," Bazi finished lamely, flattening one ear whilst the other stood tall, torn between the blow that the Sunspire represented against the Creek's pride and the another, conflicting idea: that it really, really did not matter.