Arrow Lake Alabama Slammer
what goes around, comes around
8 Posts
Ooc — Ilona
The great orange ball of fire began its way downwards, cooling off the world as a symphony of soft colors painted the skyline. The first stars appeared like twinkling, burning lights while the moon was preparing to inherit its kingdom, the night. From the other side of the mountains the midnight curtains had already cast a forlorn shadow across the landscape and soon everything would be swallowed wholly.

It was actually Jormag’s favorite time of the day, as he could enjoy the scenery at his own leisure while some creatures closed their eyes to sleep and others woke up to cease the night. Feeling particularly energetic on this early evening the dark male pulled himself upwards. After a yawn and a short stretch he blinked his eyes while thinking adventurously; “Another chance to conquer the world”. A subtle grin curled around the corners of his mouth as his golden eyes twinkled with a newfound amusement.

New to these unclaimed and expanding landscapes, Jormag already found himself a suitable challenge as he peered thirsty towards the shores of Arrow Lake. His tongue flickered out as he licked his leathery lips, already imagine the taste of the water. But before he could reach the safety of the shores he stood in front of a new challenge; how to get there? Was it truly a marvelous droplet of water or was it a poisonous treachery that lured him in like a curious cat?

53 Posts
Ooc — Riven
After spending the majority of her day in the forest, Spine decided it was high time to go explore the mountains that had teased her in the horizon for the latter part of her venture. She had been disappointed—again—and if she couldn't lift her spirits by climbing a mountain, the female figured she would probably never find happiness and could conveniently throw herself off of said mountain. "Oh, stop being dramatic," she told herself crossly, padding towards the rocky wall. There was a lake at the base of the mountain, fed by a crashing waterfall, but she was more curious about the upper level.

"But how do I get up there?" she mused aloud, pacing along the lower shore.

Over the crashing of the waterfall, Spine could have sworn she heard something like a flutter. Ears pointed, her golden eyes swept the dark landscape to be met by... nothing. Exhaling sharply in something like irritation, she refocused on searching for a path up the mountain's face.

When she was almost ready to give up, two large, green eyes blinked—one after the other—in front of her. Instinctively, the fur along Spine's backbone raised, and she took a startled step backwards. There was no telling how close or far away the eyes were, for they seemed to appear out of the thin, night air. When they disappeared altogether, the female heard the fluttering sound again, and she watched in amazement as a dark shape nimbly climbed the rock surrounding the waterfall to disappear over its upper edge.

"Um, hellooo-ooo!" she barked loudly, unaware that someone else entirely was trying to get down to the upper part of the lake, from an even higher vantage point. "Can you show me how to do that?"
8 Posts
Ooc — Ilona
In any other situation curiosity could have killed the cat – but since technically Jormag was a wolf – he hoped that it would not apply to him. But the situation was dangerous, a wrong step could lead to a dangerous fall. Every second he felt his heart pounce fiercely inside the confines of his chest, yet every second he also felt alive. It was the feisty thrill of adrenaline. And that adrenaline did not warn him to stop right here and now – instead it pushed him onwards.

A voice within the night shattered the silence and made him pause. Jiffy, he wasn’t alone. His golden, lingering eyes fell upon a lithe female. Within the darkness he could trace her feminine figurine. Apparently he was not the only one on a quest for water. It better be special water – he thought – as his leathery lips drew open to reply to Spine. ”Hi! I’m Batman – and you must be Robyn.” This night the cinema probably featured ‘The Dark Knight Rises’, or so he figured, only then the Wolf version of it.

”Actually, compadre, the only way to get to the water is to work together to reach the water.” Hopefully he glanced at direction, as if questioning ”Are you in?”. Because two could do more than one. At the same time they were two complete strangers. The Batman and the Robyn; would they seize the night?
53 Posts
Ooc — Riven
When there was no immediate reply to her query, Spine sighed, and her golden brown eyes searched for another way to the intriguing lake. She soon found a nearby path—not the one the mysterious creature had taken—that would take her higher than the lake she wanted to get to, but it was at least easier to climb. Perhaps it would be simpler to get down to the lake, rather than up to it. Before long, she found herself face to face with another wolf and for a moment, she thought this was the figure she had seen earlier, but his piercing gold eyes told her that it wasn't so.

He introduced himself before she had a chance to do so, and evidently he had heard her query from below. To be fair, Spine knew she wasn't exactly quiet, and voices did tend to carry in the mountains. "Um... hello, Batman!" she replied cheerfully, "My name is Spine, but I guess you can call me Robyn if you'd like. I hope this lake is something amazing, so it's worth all this effort!" She grinned at him, glad that neither of them felt the need to posture like some wolves did. They were on neutral territory, after all, and Spine was of the mind that unless someone gave you a reason not to, you might as well trust them.

"Do you have any ideas about how to get down to the mystical, magical water?" she asked, eyes scanning the landscape. With night falling, they'd want to find their footing relatively quickly before it was too dark to see. "And um, hey, you didn't happen to see someone sneaking around down there, did you?"
8 Posts
Ooc — Ilona
His golden eyes flickered downwards as he observed the steep and treacherous path. Suddenly a lump formed inside his throat as a seed of hesitance and doubt became evident. Nonetheless, Jormag – or BatBoy – felt empowered by the presence of the she-wolf who now introduced herself as Spine. Spine?” He replied as his tongue toyed with the name. ”That’s like Robyn; only a tenfold better.” The dark distance standing in between them made it impossible to admire the dark strip that wavered from her head to the tip of her tail. The reason why she earned the name.

”I-I hope so too.” Jormag replied hesitantly as he partly wondered what sort of disappointment awaited if all the effort was wasted. ”You mean this water has hocus pocus power?!? Mischievously he threw the question back at her, yet he did wonder all the sudden if the waters truly had some magical properties imbued. That would be cool. Even more thrilled than before he thought of a plan like a rocket scientist. A minute later he muttered an idea, only then, he wasn’t much of a genius. ”There’s a few scarce scattered scents of prey live. They have to get in – and out. That means there is a way or several. We should use our nose and look for paths along the bedding.” No genius, no brains, just the use of the ordinary nose.

”I er…” That last question caught him by surprise. ”..saw something moving.” But he couldn’t quite define what. Suddenly he was glad he was not the only one. ”What did you see?” And so began argentous quest to search for towpaths.
53 Posts
Ooc — Riven
Truthfully, Spine had no idea what the male was going on about, and sincerely believed his name was Batman. An odd name, to be sure, but she was most often called by the name "Spine", rather than her truly given name, Muirrin. While others might have decided the poor bloke was insane, the striped female had decided immediately that she liked him. After all, she was desperate to find that the fey were real creatures... that the otherworld existed, and in some sacred places there were doorways between it and this one.

"I don't know for sure," she responded with a wag of her tail, "but it has to be difficult to get to for a very good reason—don't you think? Maybe it's a fountain of youth or something. You don't want too many people to become immortal, so if I were in charge of creating magical places, I'd make 'em hard to find... or, well, at least hard to get to." She realized then, as an afterthought, that what she had just told Batman was very likely why she was having such a hard time finding the otherworld.

At his suggestion, Spine thrust her nose to the ground and began to taste the air for signs of paths the prey might have taken. When he confirmed that she wasn't the only one to see something moving near the lake, however, the female lifted her head back up to look at him. The expression she held was a mixture of surprise and relief—though if he had seen it to, didn't it make it more likely that whatever the shadow was, it was something far more mundane than fairies?

"I saw a shadow, with bright green eyes. It was hard to see, though... It was like the night folded over on itself," she explained, wondering if he thought she was as crazy as she suddenly felt.

Whether he believed her crazed or not, the male humored her, and the two spoke of things not of true consequence as they sought ways to reach the water. When they finally did, they basked in the mythic atmosphere of the place for a time, before going their separate ways.