Totoka River everloving
156 Posts
Ooc — seitch

Things were desperately quiet on the homefront. The wolf would stare up into the sky, envying the flock of cohesive birds, or the movement of deer in pairs through the trees. The canyon camp was empty, and the scents of the Tartok wolves Ivev had traveled west left were like puffs of dandelion seeds- faint and light on the wind. She had come to accept their coming and going as the way the seasons turned without her control, yet the white wolf was longing for a place to call home. It had been almost a full moon since Ivev had wandered into the Teekon, flitting from landmark to landmark. There had been enough to eat or scavenge, but she wouldn't fare well in the winter, even with her northern roots. Her kind was dependent on each other to help carry through the winter. Besides, packs always had some sort of family atmosphere, no matter how twisted or demented it was. She would enjoy the company of others through the winter, just as she had done in Abendrot.

The air was cool and misty, pulling out puffs of breath from Ivev's jaws as she traversed a wide, grassy slope that ended at the banks of the river. She had walked down this way just to cross at a narrow point, in which large shales of granite were strewn into the water. It would be easy to cross them with a leap or two, and then keep up the pace east. But the white wolf drew up to the river bank first, her muzzle bent low to lap up a few drops of water. The light morning fog was ringing with the sounds of birds, and the occasional crow from the autumn-foliaged trees upriver.

[Image: 12422385882006102414Black_bold_spiral.svg]
I want the part of you that you refuse to give. *anonymous*
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Since Ragnar had left, Thistle had not ventured far from the borders. Though today was a different case. She was on the trail of some game, some sort of prey animal that she could stalk, kill, and bury. It bothered her that the caches were starting to look low, and she was getting extremely nervous as winter came. Verrine and Julooke were extremely busy with their own children, which was understandable. Nerian was not a hunter at least not a professional one. And Thistle's own children were learning, but not yet able to take down large prey. What was a queen to do, but hunt herself.

Besides it was better to be prepared now, so that when winter winds came and stole her breath with their briskness; she could curl up in her den and weather it out. She fought hard to make sure the caches would be filled for winter. As she traveled she smelled another wolf on the wind and as she approached said wolf she chuffed gently. Holding herself neutrally she approached quietly and stood a few feet away, hello?
156 Posts
Ooc — seitch

Lifting her head from the stream, Ivev felt cool droplets of water roll down the outside of her throat. Something had stirred on the opposite side of the bank, and her blue eyes widened to watch a bird lift out of the reeds and into the sky. It wheeled and then glided back across the water, and her eyes trailed after it. Only when she had lowered her bleaky white skull did Ivev catch the movement of something stirring out of the upriver forest.

It was hard not to lapse into a fit of shyness as the blurry shape, whose wolfish scent reached the arctic creature's nose first, approached. It was a female of earthly warm brown hues, with a face that seemed to be worn by kindness and lines of determination. Striking blue eyes came upon Ivev's own pale ones, and respectfully she ducked her head from what seemed to be an omnipotent stare. At least this strange female's greeting had taken a relaxed tone, and the white wolf lost the urge to slip away over the rocks and disappear across the opposite banks.

Good morning,
Ivev replied, her body shifting a bit in the vaporous air. She wasn't sure on what to do for much else, as she hadn't encountered another wolf in quite a bit. In fact, Ivev had been wandering the coast in a melancholy manner, stuck in a fork in the road.

1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle still took the time to watch the birds when she could. However, today she was a little bit too distracted to notice them. She happened upon the other wolf and while she waited patiently for the others answer she studied her. She was a white wolf, there were a lot of them coming south, she wondered at it. It had been her own husband first and then many others had followed, was the north becoming to overpopulated or harsh as time moved on?

Thistle cracked a smile What are you doing out and about on such a beautiful morning? Thistle was not being nosy, she was curious however. She enjoyed learning about others, often times. I'm Thistle Cloud.
156 Posts
Ooc — seitch

Thistle Cloud. What an iconic yet fitting name for the tawny female. She seemed as serene as cloud, yet held the prickly strength of a thistle brush. Ivev wondered where the female had hailed from, as she wasn't used to wolves having names drawn from nature. It wasn't strange, just unique and told the white wolf that this female grew up in a society where names were not taken from family linages.

She couldn't help but to return Thistle's grin with her own smile, the shadows of wariness on Ivev's face slipping away.

It is is a beautiful morning,
Ivev echoed, letting her eyes scan the surrounding meadow and the forests that bordered them. I think I'm liking the cooler days. And I'm Ivev.

Her nose prickled again, and this time she re-examined Thistle. There were other scents on her, ones of a pack. Ivev's hairs lifted in apprehension instinctively, wondering if Thistle's family were close behind, waiting to chase off whatever loner that strayed too close. But the female had, so far, been nothing but inviting, and so therefor an imminent attack was probably not on her agenda.

1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle Cloud wasn't even sure where her mother had gotten her name. All she knew was that it was much like her mother's name of Spotted Fawn. She tilted her head to the side gently as she continued to study the femme in front of her. The only lineage name that had been taken was her brother red's name for her father's former mentor.

Thistle shifted her weight and wasn't sure how to answer the other. She liked the fact that there were 4 seasons here, but she also herself preferred the cooler days, but not the freezing ones. I too like cooler days in moderation. I do not however like the days when the coldness bites you.

I am trying to find some prey in the neutral lands too. Have you seen any?
156 Posts
Ooc — seitch

With a flick of an ear, Ivev took in the answer. She was used to 'biting cold' that rampaged the north for up to seven months at a time, and so whatever winter lay in Teekon would simply be a reminder. For now, the wolves of the park would enjoy the last lingering mix of warm and cold from summer and winter, before the shift to snow. It wouldn't be long.

Ivev stepped out of the cool water and backtracked a few steps onto dry grass, giving her fur a slight ruffle. I don't think I've seen anything lately... Her nose twitched more. Who are you hunting for?

1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle was not used to such cold weather. She herself was from a place much like this one, actually rather warmer than here. So the cold air bothered her more than most, but not as much as some.

Thistle smiled My family. My husband and I are the alpha pair of Stavanger Bay and we are trying to find game trails to build are caches for winter. Cannot be to prepared. My medicinal caches are fine, not it's onto the food ones. She grew quiet and sniffed the air gently, just to get a read on the female as well as everything else around her.
156 Posts
Ooc — seitch

Although there was no reason to submit in such a neutral territory as Totoka River, Ivev felt her tail curled inwards, brushing the inside of her left calf. She felt a wave of respect for this acclaimed alphess, who had treated Ivev with innate dignity, and the white wolf allowed her shoulder muscles to unwind. Stavanger Bay was most likely the pack Ivev had scented along the coast, although she had always skirted the borders.

When the female spoke of medicine, Ivev's triangular receptors perked up visibly. She hadn't come across a healer besides Ukiuk, and Serpent knows where they had gone.

So you're a healer? she queried with interest, peering more avidly at Thistle. She did carry some underlying scents of mint and other fragrant plants, one usually could attribute to sleeping in a patch. The arctic creature was coming more and more out of her shell, feeling comfortable in the mellow presence of the seal-hued female.

1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle saw the girls tail curl inward and she wondered at it, but she didn't say anything. She did not mind the willingliness to submit, they were however not in her territory so it was not needed. She did not however say anything about it, it was Ivev's choice if she wished to do so.

She saw the interest at her trade and a small smile fell from her maw. Yes I am a healer, and a caretaker and a warden. But healing is my main trade and one that I love. Are you a healer?
156 Posts
Ooc — seitch

She had mentioned something about trades- and Ivev guessed they were something like having a calling in life. Warden, caretaker, healer... what other jobs were out there? Was there something that Ivev could fit into?

I think I would be more of a shaman than anything, Ivev explained with a slight swish of dismissal with her tail. She saw the excited expression on Thistle's face when she talked about her trades, and Ivev guessed the brawny female knew more about healing than she did.I know some things about healing, though. What sort of medicine do you specialize in? The arctic born knew there was several different catagories; from poultices of plants, to placing conspicuous objects around a sick wolf's frame, to removing the bad spirits of sickness through draining blood. That was what Ivev had witnessed and done in the north, though she had never seen anyone else do it. Something about red on white snow was very purifying.

1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
If she had been asked the tawny she queen would have elaborated on trades. She knew of the many they had, and she wasn't sure what everyone would like to do, but she herself would do healing. She perked her ears forward to listen to the femme before her, but didn't speak at first.

A shaman, what could be consider a shaman other than a healer with just a different brand of healing she supposed. Well I don't know what our trades would be for shaman other than healer or naturalist, we do not have a shaman trade I'm sorry. She grew quiet and heard the next question, she had grown up with plants and herbal remedies. But she knew of voodoo magic and other such things, she did however not study much of this other than protection things. I am a herbal remedy type medic. I prefer herbs and plants to other rituals.
156 Posts
Ooc — seitch
Fade soon? :)

Which sort of plants grow around here? There's probably more variety here than in the tundra, Ivev mused, glancing around them. Near the clear Totoka river grew small, bell-like plants amongst the reeds, and flowers dried in the autumn grassy banks. The forest upriver was tinged with the smell of mold and decay, like fungi, and small bushels of herbs thrived above the roots of trees. Although Ivev was aware of what lived alongside her, she didn't know their purpose besides feeding herbivores. Which fed her...

I'm keeping you from your hunting!
the white wolf blustered, jumping with the realization. She looked stricken and sheepish by her bantering with this queen.

1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
[size=x-small]Yes that's fine with me[/size]

Thistle nodded her head Yes there is a lot, far too many to speak of completely. There are raspberries for cramping and bleeding. Ginger root for nausea and belly pain. Poppy for pain, as well as Feverfew. All sorts of things. She grew quiet and looked around. She could see all the plants around and she smiled softly she did enjoy her trade.

Thistle chuckled It's okay I don't mind. Conversation is often times better than hunting. She tilted her head and gave the other a smile.
156 Posts
Ooc — seitch
ok last post from me c: thanks for the fun thread!

Ivev nodded when Thistle Cloud listed off some herbs. Although Ivev didn't know what they looked like, she was sure if she ever needed something for fever, the white female would be able to find a healer who could fill her request. There were few plants that Ivev knew how to use correctly. I know there's one fungus that helps with childbirth, Ivev offered helpfully, the tip of her tail twitching. It's called ergot.

Their conversation had been good- a friendly one amidst the encounters with hostile or stand-offish strangers. Ivev would hope to repay Thistle for her small motion of kindness someday, and she would wait for the right moment to come. For when one rock was under water, another one would be peeking above the waves. She dipped her head in farewell.

But I wouldn't want to keep you from anything! Thank you, Thistle. I hope your hunt goes well.
She had turned away and was facing Totoka, preparing to step across the clear stream and cross into the meadows on the other side.