Blacktail Deer Plateau The trouble with the world
confidence, charisma, character
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
It couldn't have been a better evening for star-gazing but Saēna was strangely disenchanted as she stared up at the black canvas overhead. Pinprick holes marred the velveteen darkness but if there was meaning in them, she wasn't finding it. Her brow furrowed as she tried to force herself to concentrate but Saēna knew it was hopeless. The goddess of her dreams claimed she—or "they" if the simorgh was to be believed—were excellent tellers of fortune and could see signs in the stars. She thought it was a load of bologne.

She rolled and propped herself up on her elbows. Her plans for tonight were changing, it seemed. Perhaps that was for the better. She'd meant to see if the sky could offer some divine guidance on her current situation but it seemed as stony silent as the plateau itself. She sighed, got to her paws and went off to tackle Plan B instead.

Plan B was to find the Alpha of the plateau and inform him what had happened with Ty. A cold stone of dread settled into the pit of her stomach when she thought of admitting that she and Junior had been gossiping. Maybe they were a little mean but Saēna still thought they had every right. The minute a father put his mate about his children—even if, she hypocritically thought, those children had gone on misguided adventures—he was not worth their kindness. Peregrine was worth forgiveness, which Saēna would readily give him... the second he dropped his bimbo wife.

When she didn't immediately find @Dante she tilted back her head and called for him in a voice that conveyed importance.
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Dante hadn't found time yet to check in with Perry's kids, though he had full intentions of doing so. Not only did he want to see how they were doing since their father's departure, but he also wanted to make it clear that they still had a family here. He was sure they knew that, but he did not want to lose any of them again to bad feelings.

Little did he know it was too late for one at least.

When Saena's call came he made his way towards it straight away, this previous goal in mind. He stopped before her, aware that the two of then hadn't met yet aside from pack gatherings. They had never spoken at length. He had felt badly about that after she left, but now had a chance to correct it. "Saena, good evening. What do you need?" Her call had sounded somewhat urgent, so he got right to the point, though his tone was friendly and relaxed.
aiming for Warrior, Guardian, and Advisor specializations
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
He was prompt, which was both good and bad. It was a good quality for an Alpha but it meant Saēna had to spill the beans. Her stomach twisted nervously as he asked what was up.

Saēna took a deep, steadying breath before she began. "Hi, Dante. Um... Ty's gone." Before he could get in a word she tilted back her ears and said, "I told her and Junior that I found dad's pack and that Fox was totally rude to me, and Junior and I started talking about how much of a puppet dad's become and how Lasher came back 'cause all that matters now is Fox and... Ty freaked out and attacked Junior." It was tempting to leave it at that. Remembering how Ty had screamed at them, it was satisfying to think Dante might not let her come home for attacking her sister. But Saēna wasn't really a liar, so she said, "Junior and I made her stop, and she said she hated us and ran away. I tried to go after her but... she was gone and I knew I couldn't catch her.

But I'm sure she'll come back,"
she tacked on hopefully. She didn't entirely believe it but it was comforting to say it out loud. "Speaking of which... you don't plan to take dad up on his sister pack idea, do you? I don't think you should. Fox didn't look nearly as hurt as he made it sound when I saw her. I... really think it might have been more of an excuse than anything."
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Dante listened silently as Saena spoke, cursing himself for neglecting to speak with Ty earlier. He felt there was more to it than what was being said, for it seemed Tytonidae was the type who would need quite a bit of provoking to simply attack. Perhaps she had been troubled and he didn't notice, a failing on his part both as counselor and as alpha. He was not going to blame Junior and Saena, though speaking ill of their father in front of their sister might not have been the best decision, that was a sibling thing and he had no right.

"If she returns, could you ask her to see me? I would like to speak with her," was all he responded on that note. He wasn't going to go seek her out like a runaway child. The girl was old enough to decide for herself where she wished to reside, and her parents were both elsewhere. It was likely she had sought out one of them.

Saena's words about Fox, though, only confirmed what Dante already thought to be true . He knew she was truly injured, for Peregrine would not have lied about that . But his affections for her, in the new Alpha's opinion, had caused him to panic and needlessly rush what could have been a much smoother transition. The result was causing a lot of fallout on all sides and Dante still was not in a forgiving mood.

He could not let those emotions get in the way of what was best for the pack, though. "I am still deliberating, but I believe the offer to be in our best interest. No matter what my personal feelings may be, we can only benefit from being on good terms with those around us."
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
Saēna shook her head. "I don't think that refusing the offer would put us on bad terms," she said sagely. "I just think we need to separate ourselves from them." Namely Fox. Something about the plateau being associated with a pack of deserters with the greediest Alpha Saēna had ever (not) known was concerning. She wanted nothing to do with it and was insistent on making it known.

"Besides, she isn't likely to act like we're sister packs. When I saw her there she totally ignored me 'til I said something and then she acted like I was a huge waste of her time." She bit her lip, trying to come up with the best way to convince Dante that cutting ties with Fox (and Peregrine, unfortunately) was the better option. "She only cares about herself. Maybe dad would honour the arrangement but... well, she has dad by the balls, if you didn't notice, and you know she won't honour it and won't help us if ever we need it." And he will do whatever she says, she thought grimly.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Dear god I am full of Dante inspiration this week. What happened and how can I keep this going?! XD
BTW I am loving Junior/Saena right now. You guys are wonderful <3

Also keeping this a little vague because I plan on having Dante discuss the whole sister pack thing with Blue in the thread we haven't finished yet ^^;

Dante considered her worries, he truly did. And he would continue to, for he had not made a final decision with regards to the status of their agreement yet. Some sort of truce would have to be drawn up between the two packs, for Dante was hardly going to keep Peregrine from coming and seeing his children whenever possible. Fox had no real ties, so her coming was not likely to occur. Dante wouldn't have too many issues allowing her to visit as well, but if Peregrine's children held this much hatred towards her, he wondered if it was a good idea allowing her entrance. He wanted to do right by his pack.

There were just too many variables to consider, and he wasn't sure what way to go. "I will definitely take that into consideration," he promised her, "and if we do come to an agreement, it won't be without restrictions. I'm not about to do something I think would hurt our position here, but I do not want to keep your father from seeing you. He still loves you dearly, you know, no matter what his priorities may seem at the moment." He was aware that Peregrine was not Saena's real father, but the term felt correct to him, for he had claimed the spot for a long time. She could correct him if she so chose.
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
Dante had a way with words that was soothing. Saena almost believed what he was saying and almost agreed that Peregrine would never do anything to hurt them... but he already had, hadn't he? When silence fell on them again, the pale youth shook her head.

"I don't think he does," she said sharply, fighting to keep control of her voice. She wanted to seem mature and reasonable, even if she was a huge gossip. "If he loved us so much, then he would've insisted they stay here, or insisted we go with them. It's all about her and their puppies now. It's dumb to pretend otherwise." Hell, Saena bet Peregrine wouldn't even visit them anyway. Just thinking about it riled her up even more.

"I don't want to see him," she decided suddenly. Even if he did visit, he wouldn't be getting a warm reception from Saena, no matter how much she secretly missed him. "So if he does visit, you can just tell him I'm not here."
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Dante heard Saena's response with sadness, for he hated to see her so disillusioned by her father. Love and presence were not the same, and he felt she would realize that in time. Just as children don't love their parents less for leaving, parents don't love their children less. For some reason, Peregrine had just felt leaving the best route.

He said none of this, though, knowing that in her anger Saena would not believe it. The only thing that could help now was time and experience that would be gained. "If that is really what you wish, then I will do so. But if you ever change your mind, know that you are welcome to go see him."
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
She appreciated that Dante agreed to her request. As much as any adult wanted to claim she was a rash young female making quick and stupid decisions she would regret, Saena stood by her choices and what she said regarding Peregrine. He'd rushed his farewell for his mate, who wasn't nearly hurt enough to require him throwing everything away. Nevermind that said mate hadn't bothered seeking them out and, when she had, she threatened to infest them with fleas (which Saena now knew were parasites). Peregrine hadn't invited his children to go with him, at least not personally, which he ought to have taken time to do. Perhaps that stung Saena the most—that Peregrine had chosen a new life over his children and not even bothered trying to find middle ground with them. It ultimately was why she denounced him now.

Then again, she was a jaded youth. She'd watched three of her four parents walk out of her life like she meant nothing; the fourth had died before Saena could ever meet her. It was difficult if not impossible for her to forgive Peregrine for doing something he had scorned one of his kids for doing, and even moreso because Saena had now endured it thrice. With Peregrine it simply hurt more.

"What do you plan to do, now that you're Alpha?"
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
When she made no move to change her stance on the issue, Dante let it lie. In pack issues, he would take a more active role in attempting to better such rifts between members, but Peregrine was no longer pack. Therefore his children had every right in the world to not want to see him. He understood the betrayal she must be feeling.

"I'm not really sure," he responded honestly, thinking on it. He wasn't even fully sure yet what the position entailed. "I suppose just trying to be there for everyone even more, alongside the usual. Gotta keep this little family together." He didn't want to lose anyone else (though that goal would be crushed pretty quick). Some wolves (Peregrine a major one), would be thinking children, for Dante now had the right should he wish to exercise it. He had of course thought on it briefly, but no more seriously than that. It wasn't the right time, not for him, and he didn't see it happening anytime soon. After all, it took two, and aside from that he couldn't begin to picture himself as a father.
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
Saena had nothing more to say, except, "I think you'll be great." She couldn't offer him advice, really, having never been an Alpha herself. Her aspirations were lower, for now, than what was required of an Alpha, and she was many moons off from ever coveting the top dog position.

She wondered if Dante coveted the position once, and whether he felt right in it. She guessed he hadn't; Dante didn't seem the type to yearn for a position of power, but maybe in some other way he'd wanted it. Wasn't it what all wolves eventually wanted?

"Did you ever think you'd be an Alpha?" she asked, her voice laced with curiosity.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Saena's question took him by surprise, but he answered her truthfully. "Actually I was born to it. When I left that behind, though, no I did not. Nor did I want to." Dante shrugged, giving her a smile. "I can't say I regret the way things turned out, but I certainly did not expect this outcome."

If someone had told him a month ago that he'd be leading a pack of his own, he'd have called them crazy on the spot. Yet here he was. "Thanks for the confidence." The fact that so many were behind him and believed that he would do well was one of the only reasons he wasn't seriously rethinking his position right now. If they saw it in him, then he could see it to. Or would in time at least.

And so far, it really hadn't been that bad.
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
She was momentarily quiet as she took in this news. Dante was born to be an Alpha so, perhaps, it was best that he had taken Blacktail Deer Plateau after all. He had what it took, maybe more than anyone knew. But, by his admission, he hadn't wanted it. Saena frowned; Dante had just challenged her seconds-ago thought that all wolves wanted to lead their own packs eventually.

"Why didn't you want it?" she asked quickly, only then flicking back her ears in a sheepish manner. "I mean... isn't that what everyone wants?" Maybe not Dante. She wasn't sure that she wanted it, either. Now that she thought about it, Saena knew more wolves that didn't aspire to greatness than those who did: Osprey, Tytonidae, and Blue Willow were just a few.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Her surprise seemed genuine, and he wondered if she aspired to such someday. He couldn't hold it against her... some were just natural leaders. Others did better in support. He had always envisioned himself the latter, but the world needed both in order to keep the balance. Too many leaders was never a good thing, but nor were too many followers with no one to pull them together.

"It's an awful lot of responsibility, and I haven't had the best examples in the role. Your father not included, of course." He shrugged. "I guess it just never seemed worth it until now." He was surprised to find he didn't mind shouldering the rank overly much now that it was an actuality, but it still felt like an ill-fitting suit. "Is it something that you want? Down the line?" He decided to ask, and hoped she understood he meant nothing by the question. He liked to know the goals of the others in the pack though, for it showed him how best to deal with each of them if he knew what they liked or desired.
1,647 Posts
Ooc —
He's the crappiest leader, Saena sullenly thought in response to Dante's exclusion of Peregrine, but she had the good sense to lay the thought to rest. One day, she would come to know her father wasn't a bad wolf, just that he was a changed man who no longer cared for the things he once had, and her bitter thoughts would go dormant.

When Dante asked if she saw herself one day leading, Saena found she was glad wolves couldn't blush. "Uh... well... I dunno. I don't think I'd be good at it... Junior's way better at that stuff." Having not only failed to properly answer the question, but also downplayed her own abilities, Saena went silent. Her tail waved like a slow pendulum, though, betraying to Dante that she was thinking about his question.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
want to wrap this up? ^^ I enjoyed it!!!
Edit: went ahead and ended it <3

Dante didn't mind her slight dodge of the question. Her words echoed Dante's own thoughts up until now to a tee. True, Junior was brazen and action-oriented. If all leadership took was strength and confidence, perhaps wolves like Dante and Saena would never step up. But leadership was also making decisions for the good of the whole, mediating problems and being there for your packmates when they needed support. And it was here that sometimes the louder and stronger lost out. "Not to say that Junior won't one day make a wonderful leader, but don't count yourself out too soon. Leading is more than giving orders." Dante didn't know if she would ever even get the change to step up herself, but if she did ever decide to leave the plateau, it was a possibility.

That was all he was going to say to that effect, though. She was young and did not really need to worry about such issues yet. Life liked to throw twists in and you never really knew what would happen next. He was enjoying his conversation with her, though, having not had many before. Like Pura her other siblings her presence was understated but strong. Individual. "I was thinking of grabbing a bite to eat, want to join? I'd love to hear about some of your outrider adventures." If she wasn't busy, of course. He set off, assuming she'd follow if she wished.