Sheepeater Cliff The dark of summer
<i>"Sometimes there is no darker place than our thoughts, the moonless midnight of the mind."</i>
171 Posts
Ooc —
Private.

Although yesterday's rains gave way to a clear and sunny day, shadows swallowed much of the flatlands at this hour, as the mountains to the northeast blocked the rising sun. Koontz roamed southeast through the flatlands, glad that the early morning shade offered a reprieve from the July heat. She ignored the soreness in her feet—the result of patrolling the plateau's borders almost constantly—and told herself she would dip them in the hotspring that evening. She wouldn't let a little inflammation prevent her from feeling out her new homeland.

With that said, she wouldn't deny herself a pit stop. Panting, Koontz paused beneath the sheer face of Sheepeater Cliff (not that she knew its name yet) and peered up at the steep crag. Her heart skipped a beat when she saw a mountain goat leaping from one bluff to another, sure-footed as anything as it navigated the sheer rock walls. The she-wolf watched until it disappeared out of sight, then turned her attention to a nearby pool of water, where she quickly slaked her thirst before resuming her jaunty rambling.
savage
12 Posts
Ooc — Eve
Awkward first post is awkward.

Far from home was a familiar feeling for the large white wolf roaming the early morning hours. He had been away for more than a year now, drifting his way across Montana's landscape in search of something -- anything -- to ignite interest within his haunting soul. The night had found him alongside the pristine shores of a freshwater lake, quenching his thirst beneath the moonlight before pressing on to the north in his quest for something more. By morning Teklar had nestled himself against the mountains, finding comfort in their embrace as he navigated the uneven terrain.

A sound in the distance pulled him from his thoughts, luring the ghostly male closer to challenge. With his interest piqued, eyes and ears remained alert to his surroundings as he approached the source in anticipation that he might discover an animal to prey upon. Hunger was a curse to the lone-wolf, and starvation was his greatest fear.

The pungent scent of goat was still heavy on the atmosphere, briefly pulling his gaze upward to the treacherous cliffs to confirm the animal had already gone from the area. All that remained was a wolf: silver in color with pale-blue eyes far lighter than he had ever seen. She was a striking individual, but perhaps his loneliness made him vulnerable to the company of others. A low growl began in his throat, a sound that betrayed his uncertainty and his willingness to defend himself should she pose a threat to his safety. Teklar would remain at a small distance until she could prove otherwise.
<i>"Sometimes there is no darker place than our thoughts, the moonless midnight of the mind."</i>
171 Posts
Ooc —
Your "awkward" post was written beautifully. *boops*

Although Koontz liked to think she was paying close attention to her surroundings—she was trying to familiarize herself with the lands, after all—she must have drifted off into her thoughts because, rather abruptly, a white wolf stood in her path. She ground to a halt, her head immediately lowering to protect her throat as she gazed at the stranger. Her ears flicked in response to a low, throaty growl and Koontz felt her every muscle tighten with tension.

Drawing in a breath, she stood her ground but kept her head low and her tail draped loosely against the backs of her legs. Clearly, she did not present a threat. At the same time, she would not grovel to a stranger, no matter if he secretly intimidated her. These were neutral grounds; therefore, neither owed the other anything more than a mutual, neutral acknowledgement at best and complete avoidance at worst.

Momentarily, she contemplated what to do. Eventually, Koontz decided to say something, though she still felt apprehensive. He wasn't exactly approachable, after all. "I'm Koontz," she said, foregoing a bland greeting. She said nothing else, though the Who are you? was strongly implied by her subsequent silence.
savage
12 Posts
Ooc — Eve
Thank you! I feel so out of practice. This post came more easily, however...

Unaware there were any packs in the area, the large male had assumed he would be venturing through the lands without conflict. He now realized how foolish the idea truly was, for what carnivore would not want to make their home in such a fruitful landscape. Already, Teklar had been made aware of the goats to be harvested on the cliffs and the fish to be caught in the lakes. Surely that meant there was other game to be hunted as well and where there was prey, there would certainly be predators.

She watched him, her own uncertainties made evident by her posture. Both ears slipped sideways on his regal skull, momentarily listening to the world before her voice sharply captured his attention. His tail offered no response, remaining relaxed against the hinds of his back legs in a showing of neutrality. "I am Teklar," he returned calmly, fierce eyes burning with suspicion. "Do you belong to this land?" Deep tones were plagued by curiosity, the kindheartedness of his mother surfacing on his soul.
171 Posts
Ooc —
He gave his own name in turn and, though his demeanor didn't change whatsoever, Koontz felt some of the tension melt out of her muscles. "Nice to meet you, Teklar," she said quietly but genially. "As of very recently, yes," she answered his question. "Myself and my friend, Ariston, have founded a pack on the plateau behind me. We call ourselves Dragonwatchers."

She and the Alpha male hadn't yet discussed much regarding the recruitment of outsiders, having so recently hatched the idea to start a pack at all. Once they'd decided that, they'd then kept busy scouting out the perfect territory to call home. After they'd found it at the plateau, then they'd spent all their time staking their claim there. Now, Koontz realized, it was time to start thinking about seeking members to strengthen their ranks.

Shrewdly now, she gazed at Teklar with eyes icy in color but still warm. She carefully avoided meeting his eyes directly as she said, "We could use some members. Do you have a home here?" Koontz wouldn't bother trying to make a sales pitch if he was spoken for or if he otherwise didn't seem at all interested. She shifted her weight, gray tail twitching, and pricked her ears in anticipation of his answer.
savage
12 Posts
Ooc — Eve
Wrote this while watching True Blood with the bf. Distraction much? Haha

Teklar listened quietly while the young she-wolf answered his question. Wild eyes studying her carefully while she spoke, his mind retained the information she provided; the name of her Alpha and the location of their forming pack were essential to his survival. A small spark of amusement ignited behind those burning amber eyes as she mentioned the name of her pack, tail twitching mildly but otherwise remaining in a lowered -- neutral -- position.

Just as he was about to inquire into the pack's population, Koontz brought up the subject on her own. "I haven't been here long enough." He answered simply, tongue gliding over his lips. "Not yet sure if I want to stay," the male continued in honesty, eyes glancing around briefly before returning back to her features. "What might your pack have to offer me in return for my loyalties?" Ears perked, wanting to learn more about these... Dragonwatchers.
171 Posts
Ooc —
Koontz could feel his eyes boring into her and she tried not to let his scrutiny bother her, reminding herself that she was doing the same to him. Nonetheless, she shifted under the weight of his wild amber gaze. There were reasons the Redleaf-DiSarinno didn't see herself fit to be an Alpha yet and this was one of them; she could be intimidated by other wolves without their even trying. It was one of the many aspects of her personality on which she hoped to work, to refine, with Ariston's help.

"Even if you don't join us at Dragonwatchers, you should consider staying. I don't know how long you've traveled but I've been doing it for six months. This is one of the greatest places I've ever come across, which is one of the reasons why I claimed part of it for my own." Her lip curled slightly. "As for what we can offer you... a home literally teeming with food—there's a deer herd that shares our very plateau with us—and the protection of a pack, for starters."

Shifting her weight again, although this time positioning herself with slightly more confidence—not to be confused with dominance, as she saw absolutely no reason to posture out here in the unclaimed wilderness—Koontz tipped her head and queried, "What can you offer Dragonwatchers?" Her eyes, pale as ice, nevertheless held warmth as she regarded him with genuine curiosity.
savage
12 Posts
Ooc — Eve
She appeared to be very fond of the area as a whole and not just the piece of land she and her Alpha had claimed for themselves. Teklar had not kept track of how long he'd been traveling, not in months anyway, but he did recall leaving the family pack before the last snowfall had melted. Sven was an fearsome animal and an aggressive protector, traits he had passed on to his offspring, and the eldest son did not care to conflict with his father once the newest litter arrived. Setting out on his own seemed to be the only logical choice.

At the mention of food, deep amber eyes gleamed with a savagery he could not contain. His hunger was consuming. As a lone-wolf, providing for himself had been difficult and although he occasionally managed to snag a small meal, to feel his stomach gorged on the meat of a successful pack hunt had become something of a dream. Teklar's mouth salivated, but he maintained his presentation with a sweep of his tongue along the dark line of his lips.

"Your land sounds promising," the male complimented lightly, habitually checking his surroundings once more. "Are you not concerned that if your pack grows too large the deer will push off to find a residence less populated by predators? I can't imaging they would be too impressed with a sudden influx of hunters..." His eyes danced across her facial features as he spoke, genuinely interested in her nonverbal responses -- sometimes more was said without words. "Tracking, fighting, killing; these are the qualities I have been perfecting since birth. My father would have it no other way." His mother, however, had taught him the patience and diplomacy he would need for moments like these.
171 Posts
Ooc —
Teklar pointed out a valid concern, one both she and Ariston had considered. "We expect the herd may eventually move on entirely," she replied, "but, until then, we intend to take advantage of the situation. If and when they do go, we'll still have plenty of game close at hand. Like I said, this place is bountiful. Have you been by the lake yet?" she queried. The lake was like the park's heart, appropriately off-center and the source of all life in this stretch of wilderness. "Prey practically swarms there."

He mentioned a father, one who'd taught him the values of being a primal beast. Koontz nodded slowly. "It sounds like you'd make a good guardian," she remarked, tail swaying contemplatively. She paused, then said, "Well, I'll make my offer official: you would be welcome in the Dragonwatchers. In exchange for your loyalty and skills, we'd give you the abundant life of a pack wolf.

But don't feel obligated to give me an answer now,"
she continued after another silent beat. "I know these kinds of things need consideration. Also, you should see the territory first. I'll be heading back that way soon and you're welcome to join me if you're free." Her lips twitched. What else would he, a lone wolf, be doing but rambling? "First, though, I'd like to check out this cliff. I saw a mountain goat a few minutes ago and I'm wondering if there's more up there... you know, in case I need a back-up food source when my deer herd smartens up and leaves," she finished, a smile touching her pale eyes.
savage
12 Posts
Ooc — Eve
He nodded when she spoke of her anticipation of the herd's departure, pleased with her understanding that their invasion would likely make the deer skittish and unwilling to remain in the vicinity. Koontz presented herself as an intelligent animal and so far Teklar was enjoying her company (despite his reclusive demeanor). "Just last night I visited a large lake to the south of this place. I could smell the animals you speak of, but I saw only birds and frogs on the water."

"I thank you kindly for your offer, but I agree that I must see more of this area before I am to decide where I'll be staying." His tail swayed, but did not rise. "Though I was not fortunate enough to see the goat, I did smell and hear the animal. It is what drew me here originally. I will join you in your search, that is... if you don't mind my company?" He asked, a smile in wild gaze that mirrored her own.
171 Posts
Ooc —
When he made a comment about the birds and frogs at the lake, Koontz looked at him shrewdly, then decided it must be a jest. Her lips twitched and her tail waved as she replied, "Well, many herds congregate there, particularly around midday on hot days." She wondered if he would take this hint and check out the lake on one of these steamy July afternoons. She felt certain he would find much more than small animals and spoor then.

"I don't," she responded lightly. "I don't really intend to actively hunt but, all the same, two noses are better than one. And four eyes and ears are better than two?" Koontz laughed at herself. "Or would it make more sense to say 'two sets'?" She caught herself thinking out loud, shook her head and added, "And if I was planning on hunting, I'd definitely want you to come along. Your build reminds me of my mother's and she was—still is and likely will be until her dying day—a formidable hunter."

With this comment lingering between then, Koontz swiveled and inspected the nearest footholds as she prepared to ascend the steep cliff. Keeping her tail rigid to assist with balance, she began to climb, though she stopped after only a few yards to check on Teklar. Her smooth gray snout angled over her shoulder as she peered at him. Assured that he was right behind her, the yearling faced forward again and made a daring bound forward onto a small ledge. It might have looked impressive, except that she miscalculated its width and ended up smashing her muzzle into the rock wall, causing an immediate and rather violent nosebleed.
savage
12 Posts
Ooc — Eve
Perhaps if the large male had visited the lake's shores during the hours when game was more active, he might have had more success in sighting the animals Koontz spoke of. He made a mental note to visit the area again, nodding lightly in acknowledgement to her advice.

He chuckled lightly in response to her verbal musings, turning slightly so that he could choose a path on which to ascend the dangerous grade. "Then we have something in common," he noted, striding out to begin the climb. "Although, my father is the natural born killer. He taught my mother much of what she knew about hunting." Teklar loved them both and he might have stayed in northwestern Wyoming with them had they not been expecting another litter. His time to leave had come and he had done so without regret.

Allowing the she-wolf to take the lead, the large white male fell into step behind her. He paused to watch her leap to the next ledge, giving her enough space to calculate the distance and adjust her momentum accordingly. Amber eyes widened slightly as she overshot her landing and crashed into the wall, smacking her muzzle and creating a nosebleed. "Ouch!" He exclaimed, holding in the chuckle that dared to humiliate her.

The ledge she had jumped to was just barely big enough for the two of them and so he hesitated to follow, unwilling to cause more discomfort to an already unfortunate situation. "Is there anything I can do to help?"
171 Posts
Ooc —
The shock of the blow bothered her more than her smarting nose, though neither felt nearly as bad as her embarrassment. An unpleasant heat threaded down her back and her pale eyes fell to the ground, watching as drops of deep red blood splattered at her feet. Gently, she lapped her tongue over her busted nose, trying not to wince as it swiped over bruised, torn flesh. She could barely stand to lick it more than two or three times, though at least it seemed to stem the flow.

She turned her head slightly, glancing at Teklar out of the corner of her eye. Her throat felt tight and she shook her head in response to his question. She then steadied herself with a breath and managed a weak smile. "I, ah, misjudged the necessary velocity for that leap," she quipped lamely, her tail falling limp against the backs of her legs. She felt a hot wave of fresh embarrassment roll over her, not just because of her silly stumble but also her overly abashed reaction.

Forcing herself to lift her head, she swiveled to face Teklar, hyper-aware of her swollen, bleeding, throbbing nose. "How bad does it look?" she asked. Trying to make light of the whole thing even though she couldn't have felt less like laughing, she added, "Will I ever be able to smell again?"
savage
12 Posts
Ooc — Eve
He couldn't imagine the pain she was feeling, let alone the embarrassment for making a fool of herself in front of a complete stranger. Allowing for a small leap to outwit her did not make for a very impressive hunter, but he would not judge her abilities on this single fault alone. Her disappointment was clearly evident on her features, so he offered a small wag of his tail to express his sympathy for her predicament.

Amber eyes briefly searched her expression when she turned to face him. Her nose was split and bleeding and looked very sore to the touch. "You'll heal." He assured her, a confident smile written in his gaze. Teklar was certain there was a comical answer to her question, one that might lift her spirits from the crashing blow she had just been dealt, but he struggled in finding the humor in her situation. With careful calculation, the large male bounded to stand alongside her on the small ledge. There was scarcely enough room for the both of them to stand comfortably, and even less room for a struggle should she become uncomfortable with his close proximity.

Extending his muzzle, he sniffed her wounds but did not dare to touch. "I dunno, I think it might fall off..." He teased, tail lifting with a wave to compliment the humored smile in his gaze.
171 Posts
Ooc —
She felt somehow small beneath his sharp, amber eyes as he studied the wound, her own pale eyes darting left, then right, then left again to avoid returning his direct gaze. When he surmised that she would heal, the smallest of smiles tugged at her lips, only to slowly fade. She let out a long, low breath, instinctively moving sideways when he bounded up to join her, with notably more grace. She did feel a bit awkward about the proximity, yet in her embarrassment, she simply accepted the situation.

He reached out to sniff noses with her and Koontz held very still, eyes questioning. This time, the smile that flickered over her stony face was involuntary and authentic. "A minute ago, you said it would heal," she reminded him, "and now it's going to fall off? I think you're a quack," she said in a tone of disapproval. "Do you even medic?" Koontz added teasingly, using an informal wordplay her elder brothers often used on her. "Do you even science?" had been among their favorites when questioning her brains and, when her brawn was up for debate, "Do you even lift?"
savage
12 Posts
Ooc — Eve
I love-hate it when I create a character and they turn into something completely different than I planned....

He could feel her uncertainty--a tension within her as he stood alongside her on the small ledge, extending his muzzle to sniff at her wounds and assess the damage done. Teklar remaind overwhelmingly calm, his tail waving slowly to express his friendship in a subtle gesture. He meant her no harm, seeing as she clearly had that under control.

Ears cupped forward as she spoke, reminding him of his previous statement and he grinned in response. "A quack?" He half-exclaimed, faking insult with a chuckle. "And as for medic... My father was in the trade, so I picked up a few tips here and there. Perhaps I should have taken it more seriously." Amber eyes glittered with laughter. "I guess I never realized I'd be meeting girls who liked to bash themselves against rock walls." His tail waved as he glanced to the spot where she had made contact. "I think you left a dent."

Looking back to her, Teklar took on a more serious presentation. "Now... let us continue scouting, that is, if you still feel up to the task?" He looked ahead then--leaving one ear cocked in her direction--to gauge the pathway ahead.
171 Posts
Ooc —
Haha, is Teklar not living up to your expectations?

Edit on 08/18: I'm narrating a conclusion due to Teklar's removal from the game.

He surprised her somewhat by hurling out several jokes, although none at her personal expense. Warmed by his suddenly light—and somewhat infectious—good humor, Koontz wagged her tail. Every so often, their tails slapped together like two soft swords, yet she no longer minded the proximity. His quips had put her at ease, as well as his genteel demeanor. He looked a beast, for certain, yet he clearly didn't act like one—at least, not all the time.

Sniffing with mock indignation at his jest about the dent, Koontz said cattily, "I prefer woman over girl." Her pale eyes sparkled with mirth. "And I'm nowhere near big enough to leave dents in anything. You, maybe. Fortunately, you seem to have been gifted with more grace than yours truly. Perhaps you should take the lead," she said by way of accepting his invitation to continue. As best as she could, she stepped aside, making room for him to take the helm.

He proceeded and she fell into step behind him, their subsequent venture lasting several hours. In that time, Koontz not only learned much about what Sheepeater Cliff could offer her pack, she also learned quite a lot about Teklar—enough to know that she hoped to one day see him in her ranks. Today, however, they went their separate ways after (carefully) descending the cliffs, the young Beta heading back home now that the day had reached high noon.