Redsand Canyon Sen
65 Posts
Ooc — Teo
All Welcome 
Set after Alstro gets settled. <3

The boy carried a mouthful of herbs with him. He had been interested in seeing the wounds on the wolf who had fallen. Cad had fidgeted outside of where they were keeping the poor soul for an hour or more before setting himself to work. 

Moss eyes sought @Germanicus. Cad had done as asked and had scouted the upper portions of the canyon until he knew Mereo from above. He had newfound admiration for the beauty of their outpost. 

The peach face of the Veles peered around a corner, hoping to find the intense features of the Imperator.
an hour of wolves and shattered shields
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
it seemed that mereo would suffer no end to losses.

germanicus had checked in on the others this morning and went on silent patrol.

inside himself he felt suspended with unease and anticipation as he waited for news of akashingo and the crown prince.

the imperator made for poor company and yet the sight of cad buoyed him somewhat. that they spoke the common language of militarydom was a great comfort. 

"what have you found, veles?" germanicus addressed the young wolf, standing at attention.
65 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The comfort of his posture and language was precisely what the young medic had needed. His features were drawn into a small smile, alert, attentive. The language of soldiers and their leaders – this was where he felt ease. Thoughts of the intense woman beside the lake faded from his head.

Sir, the young wolf pipped in his sweet voice.

I have scouted the canyon from above, as instructed. I know it like a hawk.

The pathways of Mereo were common to him. Cad had not thought it would be so easy. Many of his days spent trekking had been cold and slick. The climb to the lake had been frightening, on both counts. The rewards he had gained were enough to satisfy him. What else might the Imperator have in store for Cad Kin?
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
cad was a good soldier.

germanicus was comforted by the familiarity of their military understanding. "what is your report?" he asked of the young explorerer.

but already mereo was becoming unfamiliar to him.
65 Posts
Ooc — Teo
It’s lovely, he said.

Hesitation fluttered his eyelids. He wasn’t sure that was the report that the Imperator was looking for. The man would not have settled the land if he had not seen its potential, right? It was magnificent.

Cad’s eyes shifted down to the man’s paws.

The sparring grounds show use, the spires are a curious pathway and a frightening deterring shadow in the late hours, and there is much ground between them and the falls. That was better. Proof that he had studied the territory from his tiring walks. His strength was not in his duty or his ability to behave as a soldier should. His strength was in his understanding of others. And his desire to help.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
cad spoke direct and true. "very good," the eagle said.

it showed a mind for detail and a mind for memory as well. "have you thought of tactics before, as a specialty?" he inquired.

there was always room to teach upon that front. he had not instructed a pupil since makono.
65 Posts
Ooc — Teo
Tactics; this was something that Cad’s father had wanted for him.

The peachy features of his sharp snout were brought up in a smile.

No, sir. The answer was soft. I only wanted to help. A tactician has many uses, but a medic… a medic is good anywhere. A medic can learn to help with ailments of the body and the mind.

When he had been younger, Cad had hoped to be a soldier. He had looked up with wide eyes upon the men who marched to war. He had thought them brave and strong. When the first wave of them had returned with their bloodied figures and broken expressions, his heart had changed.

I want to help. However I can, sir.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
a nod.

not a tactician, only an ability upon which the younger man might fall back.

"we have need of a battle medic," he mused. "how swiftly are you able to patch a throat wound during a conflict?"
65 Posts
Ooc — Teo
A battle medic. This was Cad’s calling.

The Imperator asked him how quickly he could patch a throat wound during conflict. It was a difficult thing to answer. The severity of the wound would depend on the time it took to seal and how much blood might be lost. The peach-faced medic had done several of these, varying in their damage.

I’ve done five, sir. Three survivors. The other two- The wounds were too extensive. Couldn’t stop the bleeding. Cad’s eyes were glassy, a little distant. But I’m quick, even in conflict. And I’m not afraid of a fight.
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"three out of five reflects a skill indeed, soldier."

his words were meant truly.

approval lit his gaze. "it is a strong man who can heal in the same moment he battles."
65 Posts
Ooc — Teo
The Imperator was a natural leader, Cad decided. The man had a way of speaking that both captivated and commanded. The compliment wasn’t lost on the medic. He could feel his chest tighten, bashfulness rising to the back of his throat.

Thank you, Cad said, snout pointed at the ground. Sir.

Moss eyes shifted from the Imperator’s paws to his chest. He wondered what kind of conflict Germanicus had faced while residing in the canyon. Were there many cases that called for a battle medic?

Imperator, is battle often seen in these lands?
2,516 Posts
Ooc — ebony
Warrior
Master Tactician
Ranger
"not at all," germanicus intoned. "we were designed to protect the sunspire. and we have not seen war since."

while his soldiers grew restless, champing at the bit.

"do you look for it, cad?"