ashes
winter ghost
330 Posts
Ooc — Mary
AW but tagging @Mordecai - set on the borders.
<style>.forest1 .ooc {font-style:italic; color:#494a43; } .forest1 p {padding: 0px 9px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px; } .forest1 b {color:#282828; letter-spacing:-.1px; } .forest1 {background-color:#b5bbc6; background-image:url('http://i.imgur.com/HPq9O7z.png'); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; } .forest1 .float {float:right; width:0px; height:10px; } .forest1 .text {font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#4c4c4c; letter-spacing:.1px; word-spacing:.1px; line-height:18px; width:460px; text-align:justify; padding: 20px 20px 290px 20px; } .forest1-border {width:500px; margin:0 auto; }</style>

Days of rest had followed the scare of infection in his leg. The ashen brute had taken less to exploring and more to remaining in his temporary den along the ridge near Sunspire Mountains. Had it not been for Caiaphas, Kierkegaard would have lost more than a few days of time due to the rapid rate with which the infection had spread through his leg. He was grateful to the young coywolf female. She had offered him aid when others would have simply turned him away. Because of this, the Sairensu male had mulled over the idea of finding out more about the packs that she had mentioned. The Spine had been the first on his list.
It had seemed considerably secluded. Mountains carved out a gateway on either side of what had appeared to be a handsome rolling valley. Kierkegaard could scent the markings of the pack before he had even drawn close to the borders of the spine. His fiery gaze trailed the peaks of the mountains that surrounded their home with some mild curiosity. It was a fitting place; the seclusion would have been welcome by the introverted male. Drawing his salmon-colored tongue across his muzzle, the large creature lowered his head towards the earth and breathed deep in the scent of the wolves who called the Spine their home.
Kierkegaard was not a wolf easily intimidated by others. He – often foolishly so – was bullheaded and proud, which aided to his inability to find companionship outside of his sister. There was, however, a moment of hesitation as he lifted his skull upwards and thought about calling on the wolves of the Ouroboros. He knew that he could not survive through the winter on his own, and he did not want to risk his own life or the life of his sister in the attempt. With a rapid heart, Kierkegaard parted his dark lips and issued a deep, throaty bark for the wolves of the Spine.

marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
It's been a long time since we've threaded, I believe! And I got to meandering a bit with this... but your post inspired me to do so. >_>

He had been lapping idly at a small stream when the summon rose up through the din of the Spine. It was distant, almost worth ignoring. A few weeks ago, Mordecai more than likely would have chosen to ignore it. But a lot had changed in those short few weeks, sometimes much too quickly for his liking. He had noticed the subtle changes in the way Ouroboros behaved now, but whether or not that was from his pressing into their leadership remained a strong unknown. Sitri was mobile again, at least somewhat; he had scented the scarred male in more than one pocket of land. Cara and Kaname were reclusive, but that had been their nature for more than just weeks now. Whatever they could have been plotting, Mordecai found he did not care.

They thrived, slowly.

He finished his drink before setting off towards the rough source he deemed the sound to have come from. It was low, throaty, but a strong summon at the same. And if he had it his way, he wanted to be the first to happen upon whoever it was that called. A certain proactiveness had erupted him in where his lack of engagement used to be. Almost as though he was proving to bodies long cold and in the ground that he too, could pick up where they had surely left off. The forests and inclines of the Spine opened up for him, and the steady stream of his thoughts did not depart until he had caught sight and smell of the canine who beckoned his approach. Mordecai drew in the scent of the ashen male, holding it as though he could ascertain something more of it. Nothing about it proclaimed something significant, barring the faint tinges of sea salt and brine.

He let out the breath with a huff, gathering himself as he closed in those few last steps between wariness and curiosity. Mordecai adopted his dominance in those same steps, bringing himself to a fuller height, projecting his claim. Its intent was not for intimidation so much as it were to denote his status; something in which time had allowed the tawny Ostrega to embrace more and more with ease. His greeting was wordless but kind; he simply assumed the other would know what to do. Mordecai was astute enough to tell that the wolf before him was not just a simple wanderer. They had something in common, and were seasoned travelers by simple air alone.
[Image: warrior_master.gif] [Image: gamekeeper_master.gif]
winter ghost
330 Posts
Ooc — Mary
It's been way too long. <3
<style>.forest1 .ooc {font-style:italic; color:#494a43; } .forest1 p {padding: 0px 9px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px; } .forest1 b {color:#282828; letter-spacing:-.1px; } .forest1 {background-color:#b5bbc6; background-image:url('http://i.imgur.com/HPq9O7z.png'); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; } .forest1 .float {float:right; width:0px; height:10px; } .forest1 .text {font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#4c4c4c; letter-spacing:.1px; word-spacing:.1px; line-height:18px; width:460px; text-align:justify; padding: 20px 20px 310px 20px; } .forest1-border {width:500px; margin:0 auto; }</style>

He knew restlessness. The ashen brute knew wanderlust. The two things echoed through his body, engraved in the marrow of his bones. If not for the company of his only sibling, Kierkegaard would have been born and bred into a life of loneliness. Still, he knew only what it meant to wander. There was a certain fear in the idea that he could give up his lifestyle for something he knew very little about. Wolves were not meant to survive on their own. It was a fluke that the Sairensu male had made it that far. It could not go on forever.
There was a sound – quiet and distant – that drew the ashen male’s attention towards the opening of the pack. His sharp gaze caught sight of a large male cloaked in handsome golden honey and brown colors. He was an impressive sight. Kierkegaard regarded him with a slow once-over before fixing his gaze on the nose of the strange male. There was something about his figure, the way his body was carried, that surprised the ashen loner. His mind was a series of whirring cogs as he tried to place the familiarity of this beast, though he came up short of any answers. Perhaps it was the cut of his spirit. There was a certain fire to the stranger’s golden gaze that Kierkegaard could understand. They were forged from the same fire. At some point in their lives, they had been cast into the same light… staggering, wayfaring souls.
After a moment of pause, the two wolves regarding each other with a strange sort of reverence, Kierkegaard drew his head upwards only slightly from its lowered position and blinked his sharp gaze slowly at the male before him. His posture suggested that he was of high importance in the pack, and so the loner could only guess, “you’re the Alpha.” His voice cut through the silence like a distant thunder, rolling from the depths of his chest and through his throat. The comment was issued as more of an observance than a question, for there was little doubt in Kierkegaard’s mind about the status of this stranger.
The pallid brute was not a social creature; it was evident by his appearance alone. He stood, stock still, in the pale light of the autumn morning. A sharp breeze cut through the tops of the trees, lifting the fur along his spine and causing a chill to race down the length of his back. Immediately, Kierkegaard began to second-guess this meeting. He did not belong with others. He was cut from a different stone.

marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
I'm glad to see you and Manda around again though! I miss all the folks from WWS. <3

The voice that accompanied the travel-worn wolf was rough with disuse. But it was not broken, the articulation was clear to Mordecai and not marred by accent or lack of intelligence. He only served to further confirm the statement that was issued with a curt nod of his head. He was the alpha, and the fact that he looked and played the part only came as reassurance to his claim. Mordecai had tried to be steadfast in holding his position and it seemed it was paying off little by little from what he had amassed in short time. With any luck, the tawny Ostrega hoped he could steer the Spine to prosper. Only time would tell if he truly had any control of it at all.

“What brings you to the Spine?” he queried, once he was sure that there was nothing else left to be spoken. The fellow had summoned for them, and therefore Mordecai felt he had reason to be there. Even so, he could pinpoint uncertainty, or at least the perceived notion that there was something more than just a traveler beckoning at their door for a chat. If he was there looking for a home, Mordecai intended would pursuit the opportunity. If he had come looking for something else, then the options expanded tenfold, unless they were a waste of his time. And time was simply something none of them had left to waste with the crisp morning wind speaking of snow.
winter ghost
330 Posts
Ooc — Mary
I was pretty happy to see how many WWSers had come over here.
<style>.forest1 .ooc {font-style:italic; color:#494a43; } .forest1 p {padding: 0px 9px; margin:0px; text-indent:25px; } .forest1 b {color:#282828; letter-spacing:-.1px; } .forest1 {background-color:#b5bbc6; background-image:url('http://i.imgur.com/HPq9O7z.png'); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; } .forest1 .float {float:right; width:0px; height:10px; } .forest1 .text {font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#4c4c4c; letter-spacing:.1px; word-spacing:.1px; line-height:18px; width:460px; text-align:justify; padding: 20px 20px 310px 20px; } .forest1-border {width:500px; margin:0 auto; }</style>

“My sister and I… we’re loners. I was pointed in the direction of this pack,” he answered the male with a small frown. If it had not been for Caiaphas’ suggestion, Kierkegaard never would have sought out the Spine. The only other pack that he had any knowledge of had been Blacktail Deer Plateau. Their type did not suit him and so he did not want to find himself on their borders. The loner’s response had been something of a simple one. He did not think it was really appropriate to mention Caiaphas, or if it would even have made a difference. There was a huff that followed his statement, lowering the ashen brute’s shoulders. “We will not survive the winter on our own.” He was certain that this stranger would understand. A pack survived while the lone wolf perished. That was part of life.
For a fleeting moment, Kierkegaard wondered where his dark-furred sibling had wandered off to. She was never too far – always lurking in the background – but it would have been best if she had gone with him in search of a pack. He wondered if she was against the idea altogether. He would not have blamed her. They had lived their lives alone. It was habit at that point. The injury that Kierkegaard had suffered to his hock was sign enough that they would not last in the Teekon wilds.

marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
Meee too. I spent something like two years not really writing/roleplaying. Houkie eventually talked me into joining when I got internet. I'm pretty happy I did. :)

Though curious as to who could have pointed in the direction of their pack, Mordecai did not press the topic. It didn't feel appropriate following what the traveler dropped next. Survival was a very funny thing, depending on where it was they found themselves. Mordecai had scraped through rough seasons on his own, but never entirely. If anything, he had unknowingly submitted himself into nameless packs of four or six. The Spine had once been robust, teeming with able bodies that had since fled them, or otherwise succumbed to things beyond their control. Wanderlust, he supposed, was chief among them. Time had whittled down the memory of many who had come in his stay to dust.

But he knew that it had to have taken a bit of effort, a prestige hit on the collective scale of self-esteem to admit such a claim. Though they were social creatures by default, Mordecai sensed that weight that rested between the ashen shoulders of the loner. He may have mistaken it, but he figured it was contentedness with him just being with his sister. The two wolves were probably a pack of their own. Slicking his ears back thoughtfully, Mordecai found silence at the forefront of his behavior. He hated the deliberation of picking and choosing words, but he was considering things. Considering the likelihood that perhaps, if he attempted to extend the offer of aid and shelter and all of that nonsense, they too would eventually depart when the weather changed.

Yet again, how had that ever been any different than what he had done in the past?

His lips pursed a moment, before he spoke. “I understand where you find yourself. But there are things I'd like to know, most of all what your intentions are if we take you and your sister in. How can you help us? How long will you stay?” He thought back to the same questions he had been asked, if only because he had been forward in his intentions a time or two. Both times he had been turned away, but he thought himself a more just creature than those he had sought aid from. With Jinx, he had never mentioned what his intentions were, but then again, she had never asked. Perhaps she had some eerie foresight into what the times had held again, or perhaps she gambled on every vassal in her court.
winter ghost
330 Posts
Ooc — Mary
Oh, I know what you mean! It's been years since I've jumped into the RPing game. After WWS and Myth closed, I lost a lot of interest in it. :) I'm glad Manda pulled me back in, though. It's nice to see familiar faces, so to speak.

Winters were always hard. Kierkegaard could not have easily boasted that he had not suffered through enough of them on his own. He would not have admitted to being afraid, but there had been times when his ribs that jutted from his sides and his eyes had been off-set by deep shadows from a lack of sleep. Still, he had survived, and would continue to do so… no matter the cost. If it meant that he would be forced to join a pack, then he would. The Sairensu male had always been bullheaded, but never so foolishly that he would risk his own life as well as the life of his only sibling. Change was a part of life. It was difficult for many others to grasp and accept, but Kierkegaard knew it well enough. He had suffered through many changes and had found himself on the better side after said hardship. While he was not a man of faith, he knew that he would have to greatly rely on his instinct to carry him through the decision ahead.
Drawing his lengthy ears forward, the ashen brute flicked his tongue against his lips with a furrow-browed and thoughtful expression. The questions that had been presented were just, called for, and Kierkegaard knew that he could not condemn the alpha for inquiring. It was fair enough to assume that the pallid loner had not entirely thought about how long he would remain in a pack. The decision to actively seek one out had only come around because of the injury that had been sustained to his leg. Without skills, he was a useless creature to accept into the ranks. Without the promise that he would pledge his life to the pack, and the intention to do so, it was not likely that the golden stranger would grant him access.
Finally, drawing his gaze upwards, Kierkegaard opted for the honest answers. “We would stay for however long we were needed,” he responded in a rumbling voice. It was a fair gesture; if the pack required they stay for years, his pledge would stand. If they needed his aid only through the rough patches that were to come in the colder months, then he would endure that time period and leave when he thought necessary. As for his skills, the loner was not entirely sure what he would offer that could benefit a larger group of wolves. “I am a skilled fighter. I would extend an offer of protection to you and your wolves.” He was capable of more, but his talents were more specific to smaller numbers. Kierkegaard was a survivalist; he knew how to take care of himself. It very well could have been his biggest fault.

marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
My job basically ate me. I was sad to see WWS close, surprised by Myth too.

When it came down to the more transient creatures of the wilderness, Mordecai had not put much thought into the policies he could have adorned the Spine with. All in all, they were not the same that his precessors had kept so far. His experience at leading was that of a fledgling; he really had no real idea what he was doing. Some of it came instinctually. Some of it he was simply making up as he went along. Still, he did pay attention to what was offered, finding that he found that about as exciting as watching leaves fall from trees (without the intent to eat them). Despite that note of disinterest, he made note of it. While Sitri was also a capable fighter and no doubt Kaname as well, Mordecai did not have their support in the way he would have. He doubted he would garner it easily, so in reality the ashen traveler was rather key to his interests as much as they were of the pack.

“I have no doubt that you're also a fair hunter as well. No one wanders for so long without having that for a skill,” he added in, smiling thinly. Hunting was a skill that Mordecai had a fair grasp of. It was by no means perfect, but he was very able in his ability to capture prey. The Spine could use another hunter any day of the week, in his eyes. “What of your sister? Is there something in particular she is good at?” Absently, he looked beyond his counterpart for his elusive sibling, as though he would truly find her lurking in the shadows beyond the woods that surrounded them. He searched for a few moments, but no sign of her turned up. Not that he expected it to either, he had no real idea what he was supposed to be looking for. She could have simply been blending in.
winter ghost
330 Posts
Ooc — Mary
Yeah, work has eaten up a good part of my free time in the past couple of years too. I definitely can sympathize with you on that end.
I'm gonna tag @Moz here to see if Manda will pop in. :)

At the remark made about his skill in hunting, Kierkegaard dipped his head to agree to the comment. Yes, after nearly four years of living off of the land with only one true companion, hunting became something of a priority. He had become a fair fisher in his time in the Teekon area, too. Oftentimes – and certainly with the injury to his hock – hunting down game that could run away was difficult, and the pallid brute was not opposed to alternative measures of keeping himself alive. With Moz, as well, he had not suffered nearly as much as he should have. Had it not been for his dark-furred sibling, Kierkegaard certainly would have lost his life to the infection or to starvation. He had Caiaphas to thank for his life, as well. The coywolf female had not only aided him when the laceration to his leg had gotten much worse, she had also pointed him in the direction of the Spine. So far, he trusted her more than any other outside of his immediate family.
At the mention of Moz, Kierkegaard lifted his head just slightly and turned his muzzle in the direction that the golden male peered. “She is the better hunter of the two of us,” he remarked carefully. Part of him felt as though if he were to call, she would come. It would have been more beneficial for her to be there, to speak for herself. It was a marvel that the alpha was even listening to Kierkegaard speak in her absence and even consider accepting the siblings into his ranks. “I will call for her,” he then added with a swift nod of his skull before lifting his muzzle upwards and calling to his darker half. If she would come to his side, it would have been more favorable for the DeMonte-Sairensu pair. If not, Kierkegaard would be left to leave the borders of the Spine for another time.

marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
Being an adult sucks, haha. Sometimes I don't know why I was ever in a hurry to grow up. Buttt, I'll throw this post in and we'll wait and see if she replies! HI MANDA IF YOU SEE THIS AND ALL. WE LOVE YOU. :D <3

With the information that his sister was also a hunter (and apparently the better of the two), Mordecai nodded passively. If they were willing to stay, he was certain that they could both benefit the Spine as much as it would help them benefit for themselves. Even if they couldn't put words to the full extent of their skills — for he was certain they were more than just able hunters and fighters, for whatever reason — Mordecai felt that time would allow him to see what they, along with the others of the Spine, were fully capable of.

As the ashen male called for his sibling, the Spine alpha allowed silence to lapse between them. His eyes watched the obscured horizon for some sign that they were going to be joined, and certainly hoped that they would be. If not, then he would see what it was that he could do to secure the pack a couple of new recruits all the same. Even if it turned out that he would have to wait for that opportunity, it was time that he was willing to let elapse for the betterment of them all.
5 Posts
Ooc — Manda
Strange! I didn't receive a tagging PM, BUT I KNEW INSTINCTIVELY TO LOOK HERE. <3

A beckoning howl reached a pair of tall, dark ears, and it might have been the most warmingly familiar sound to the feralhewn female. Her fan of bladed guard-hairs came down as her sleek head came up from the particular trail she had been on before snapping forward in a lope full of intent. It wasn't an interruption—as it happened, she'd been dogging Kierkegaard's trodden path for hours. All that had kept her from making short work of her advance was that his first howl had not been meant for her, and there were certainly no looming thoughts on why. The trust between Moz and her brother was never in question.

Proximity was measurable by scent, so when it was clear that he wasn't far off and that someone else was with him, she slowed and wove her serpentine way through the imposing conifers with an assured degree of tact. The someone else would have been an unknown if not for scent markers that punctuated the borders of a nearby pack, and she deduced easily that he was the Alpha male. As far as unknowns went, really, the available information pointed in a straight line towards the obvious.

With that, she was revealed from beneath evergreen boughs somewhere behind the gigantic ashen figure of her brother as her long-legged stride brought her forth. Her turquoise gaze first studied the tall, strapping figure of the Spine's leader and his many vivid hues as her body language spoke her deference while she made her forethought approach. She then strayed her eyes before they could possibly meet his and swept her head in the direction of her brother when finally, she paused.
winter ghost
330 Posts
Ooc — Mary
Phew! Good... my tags have not been working at all. :/ Also this is a relatively shitty post but I gotta hit the hay. Feel free to skip me or PP me if necessary to move this along? I've got a thirteen hour work day tomorrow, so I likely will not be around to post.

It did not seem to be long before Moz appeared from behind Kierkegaard and joined the two wolves at the entrance to the Spine. The ashen brute turned his head slightly to rest his gaze on the dark-furred female, noting the familiarity that had stirred in his gut upon catching sight of her brilliant turquoise eyes. He could not deny that she felt something like a shadow to the hulking male. Had it not been for their upbringing, the Sairensu male doubted that he would have felt that close to his sibling. As it turned out, Moz was the only creature that truly mattered to Kierkegaard. She would always be the most important figure in his life. As self-sufficient as he was, the golden-eyed creature owed his entire existence to her.
Once she had joined him, Kierkegaard turned his attention back towards the golden-furred alpha of the Spine with a far more relaxed posture. He was at ease with his sibling, this was evident. Having her there, the ashen creature hoped that they could remove any questions that still lingered in the Spine wolf’s head. As reclusive as the two wolves were, Kierke did not believe that they had anything to hide. He had been honest with the questions that had been presented to him at the beginning of their conversation, and the pallid creature would continue to hold his honesty through the end… no matter the outcome.
Silence was the only thing he had to offer in that moment, unless Mordecai had other inquiries for the ash-coated loner. Whatever was left would almost certainly be between Moz and the golden male. Kierkegaard was nothing more than a ghost-like figure.

marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
Haha, I got a mass dump of notifications this morning from all my posts/pms/tags from yesterday. No worries on the reply speed either, I go back to work tomorrow but this thread is a priority for me, so when my turn comes around I'll try to get you same day responses. Also... semi-watery-powerplay introductions here, I think. IDK. edit: Editing in a conclusion to this, whoops. <3

Finally, a dark figure broke through the cover. Mordecai had been expecting a higher coat and wondered for a moment if they were being happened upon by someone else. The notion was quickly discarded as he understood her approach. The deference, the closeness to the ashen wayfarer… she was the sibling that he had been speaking of. His own responses to her made it very clear to the tawny leader. Her wordless greeting was met with a kind smile from Mordecai, who was pleased that she could join them. He was also pleased that she hadn't been far off at all either.

“Well, now that's we're all together, I suppose it might be beneficial if we introduce ourselves,” he said with a dry chuckle. “I'm Mordecai.” He gave them the appropriate time to reply with their own introductions, focusing in on the dark-coated Moz. In spite of obvious wear and tear, even injury, he found that they were both in seemingly fair condition for having spent their time on the road. They were more than capable than some he had seen loitering at their doorstep, even well before he had ascended to leadership.

“Your brother tells me that you're the better hunter,” he went on to say after that pause, his once-overs of them both finally complete. He was half-tempted to ask her if Kierkegaard was being modest, but thought better of it. It seemed like a joke better left for later, because Mordecai did not know how well it would go over. First impressions were often decorated to be the good ones and for the sake of politeness, he avoided sparking internal ire. He had seen how easily it came about, even to an outside target.

The trio talked at length for a while longer, leading to Mordecai accepting the wayward pair.