The Heartwood In the Bleak Midwinter
12 Posts
Ooc — Sydney
Maybe @Mara or @Runt as I would prefer that Riko met at least one of them?

The sound of water gurgling signaled the unseen river. Not that Riko didn't know that it was there. She knew perfectly well that it was there, for what kind of fool decided to stay somewhere for a while without checking the surrounding area? Even she, who practically wore the crown of stupidity, had enough common sense to do that.

The edge of the forest Riko was closest to had the river run by it. The name of the forest and river she did not know, but she also did not care. They could be called anything and they would still be a river and a forest to her. All Riko knew was that she was in unclaimed lands, and this was where she had been for the past few days with her makeshift den.

That would have to change soon. Winter, even if it hadn't been too harsh yet besides a few snowstorms, was a wolf's worse enemy. How Riko had managed to survive by herself this long was a mystery with lots of luck involved. Luck couldn't be trusted though. It could help you all it wanted, but there were some things that even luck couldn't help. She had experienced that firsthand.
211 Posts
Ooc — Vinyl
hey there! I hope you don't- mind my posts aren't usually that long, so sorry! I kinda assumed that she would know they're making a pack, cause I'm pretty sure Mara is about to tell her in the other thread.

Runt was further exploring the Great Bear Wilderness. Here was the Heartwood, a nice forest. If they were going to stay in the gorge they had found for a some time, then she would probably hunt here, since it was right next door to it. Soon she could hear the rushing water sound of the Whitefish River running through the Heartwood. Well, actually a bit that branched off from the main course, but still a part of it. She came to it for a drink. Runt bent her head, lapping up some water and glancing up. Standing nearby on the other side of the river was a orangey brown wolf with brown eyes to fit and a scar under one of them. "Hey, ya." She called out to the unknown lady. "It's pretty cold this time of year ta be on your own." She suggested to the stranger.
12 Posts
Ooc — Sydney
It's perfectly fine. I find that my first post in a thread typically tend to be longer than my others. ^.^

The scent of another had prompted Riko to get up and check it out. It turned out that a tiny -such as herself- wolf with tan, brown, and grays had stopped for a drink. She stood there silently, simply watching. The female wolf then noticed her, and made some remark about how it was too cold to be alone. "It is." Riko acknowledged, giving a slow head nod whilst staring at Runt.
211 Posts
Ooc — Vinyl
Runt was a little surprised from her short answer. Literally just two words. Runt then went right to the point. "So, would ya be interested in joinin' a pack? We don't exist officially yet, but we will soon. Ya could be one of our foundin' members." She told the girl. "Not tryin' ta force anythin' but we will need more wolves before we begin." She told her. Runt had a feeling she wouldn't be very interested, but she hoped that she was. They did need more founders.
12 Posts
Ooc — Sydney
More words came tumbling her way. Riko listened to all of them. "Yes. When will it be official?" She wouldn't openly admit it unless asked, but she didn't think that she would survive this winter by herself. Not that it would've been bad if she didn't survive, but her family would've wanted her to survive, and so she had to at least try. A little but of teeth gritting at the thought of her family, but Riko pushed it aside.

Another thought popped into her head. "Where will it be?"
211 Posts
Ooc — Vinyl
Releif spread through her when the stranger agreed. "Whenever we have enough wolves and our basic pack structure and rules set out. Don't worry, it won't be strict." She said. Well, she would make sure it wasn't, even if Mara wanted it to be. Even though she was good friends with Mara, she had no idea whether the alpha to be would want strict rules, but Runt wouldn't let her. She'd make sure it was comfortable for their members. Just general things that were needed, like "no killing other members"."In a gorge that is actually filled with a lot of resources and prey, as well as caves we could perhaps make our dens in. See this river? It branches off Whitefish River, which runs through the gorge. What's your name, by the way?" She asked the lone wolf. Well, not lone wolf for much longer.
12 Posts
Ooc — Sydney
So there was no set time to when the pack would become official, just hopefully soon. Whitefish River was the name of this river, though it was still known simply as 'a river' in Riko's mind. Then she was asked her name. "Riko." She then hesitated, wondering if she should ask of the other wolf's name. Would've made the most sense, as she was probably going to end up living with her. "Your name?"

Riko then brought the conversation back to the gorge. "What way is the gorge? The direction of the river going downstream, or upstream?" If she could go there and camp out until the pack was created, she would. Whether the other future pack-mate(s) agreed with her decisions could be dealt with later. Unless anyone told her specifically not to do it, Riko would do it.
211 Posts
Ooc — Vinyl
"Cool, Riko." She said. When Riko asked her name, Runt felt embarrassed. Runt was a stupid name. But it was the only one that belonged to her, despite how shameful it was to her. "Runt." She told her, glancing away from Riko at the river. "The river here is going south, but branching off Whitefish which heads south-east. The gorge is north-west of here." She said. "Our alpha to be is a wolf called Mara. I'm sure she'll be fine with you helping to fill her first ranks." She told Riko fondly. Runt couldn't wait to get this whole pack show on the road. And she couldn't wait to turn a year old, because she had some plans for her rank to discuss with Mara when she did...
12 Posts
Ooc — Sydney
"Who names a kid Runt?" Riko blurted out. It wasn't meant to be offensive in any way, at least not to Runt. If anything, it was offending her parents for naming her that.

As for directions, time for her stupidity to kick in. Others had tried to teach her directions, but things just didn't click. So, Riko just stared blankly at Runt, not that she hadn't been doing that already. The only difference was the slightly dazed expression on her face as well as her mouth opening a little. She could -and would!- figure it out though. This river came from another river. That river ran one direction, and the gorge was in the other direction. That meant that she had to go upstream on this river and the other river to reach the gorge! If not, Riko would still find her way to the gorge.
211 Posts
Ooc — Vinyl
Runt didn't find it offensive. In fact, she felt the same way. She snorted. "Apparently my mom, who liked my three other siblings better than me. Just cause they were born bigger." She said. Not that she didn't like her siblings- she loved all three dearly. But she thought her mom didn't have to go around picking favorites by size- much less picking favorites at all. She noticed Riko's confused look. "Don't worry, I'll show you if you want." She offered to Riko.
12 Posts
Ooc — Sydney
Riko's face wrinkled up in disgust for Runt's parents, but that was the most to come from her before her face smoothed back into an emotionless mask. Then Runt offered to help show her the way. Riko opened her mouth as if to protest, but thinking better of it shut it and gave a small nod. It would be easier to be shown the way instead of getting lost due to stubbornly refusing hep.
211 Posts
Ooc — Vinyl
soon can we continue this in another thread where they meet Mara? Cause I want to get a bit further into the WWG discovery thread before I start makin threads in it. So I think this will be my last post, and we can make the next thread later?

Runt watched her face twist in disgust before returning to it's strange but normal straight face. It was only her mother, not her father. Her father was dead. Once on the mountain she'd met a man who said he'd known him a little. She had asked what he was like. The man had said he was very quiet and strong, very protective. Like Stone, she thought. Her mother refused to tell much about him. Runt also saw Riko hesitate before agreeing. "C'mon then, this way." She said quietly. She didn't check to see if Riko was following before beginning towards the gorge at a steady trot.
12 Posts
Ooc — Sydney
Absolutely! Tag me when you're ready and I'll show up. :)

Riko hadn't expected to be led towards the gorge right away, but she had free directions in the form of Runt, and wasn't going to pass it up just because she would've waited a little longer if she had been given the chance. Silently, she started to follow Runt towards the gorge.