The Heartwood my heart is like a stallion.
i am the storm.
373 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
The forest was golden from the few rays of the setting sun the were able to shoot through the thick tangle of branches that made the forest's canopy. The usual quiet and serenity the Heartwood normally boasted was interrupted by a rather savage sound. A coyote was feasting in the center of a small clearing. It was a young beast, just under a year from the look of it. Old enough to bring down the elderly mule deer on its own, but not old enough to be wise in keeping its triumph quiet for fear of larger predators hearing and coming to see what there was to be stolen.

Larger predators such as Summer Ostrega.

The coyote was too distracted with consuming its prize to notice the hungry wolf whose gleaming yellow eye was peeking out at it from behind the trunk of a tree. Summer watched silently, waiting for just the right moment to spring. The coyote would not normally have posed a threat to the rather large and well muscled yearling, but his recently accrued injuries gave him pause.

The coyote shifted its position and dug its face deep into the deer's torn belly, giving Summer just the opening he'd been hoping for. Like a panther, he darted silently towards his enemy's vulnerable backside and lunged. The black wolf collided into the side of the coyote who yelped on surprise and pain. It stumbled away from Summer, then turned foolishly to land its gaze upon its attacker. With a snarl, the coyote leaped at the wolf, and the wolf sprang forward with snapping jaws to meet it.
Open for Commissions! PM me for more info :)
241 Posts
Ooc —
There was more room to breathe here than in Neverwinter Forest, and more sunlight to walk by even at dusk. The spacious placement of the trees did not provide the most ample cover, but Andalusia would take the shoulder room over the claustrophobic embrace of her overgrown kingdom any day.

Her ears twitched at every sound, taking in the local fauna with a curious mind. The call of a solitary bird sounded from the tree tops, and a rustle of leaves marked its departure from its forest dwelling. But it was a different sound that caught her rapt, scuffling yips that made a scowl pass over the woman's stoic face. The air carried the faint scent of blood, and Andalusia made for the source on swift feet.

She drew near in time to catch sight of a coyote delved deep in its prey, its guttural savagery breaking the peace of the forest air. Andalusia's ears canted back and when another beast moved in from the side, she prepared to leave, wanting nothing to do with a coyote, and even less to do a pack of them. But she snapped her gaze on the pair again at the sudden sound of pain, and Andalusia's silver eyes glimmered in the sun's waning rays at the fight that enfolded before her and at the pair who threw themselves at each other with such reckless abandon.

It was foolish, was she was about to do. Lethal, even. Yet without a beat of hesitation, and with full knowledge of the danger she put herself in, the silken woman leapt into the clearing, attempting to snap at the coyote's rear while it lunged at its wolfish opponent of darkness.
i am the storm.
373 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
It's a wild secret seester! :D Thanks for joining! Feel free to PP the coyote however you'd like!

Summer struck at the coyote with his forelegs as they collided, attempting to knock it downwards. The coyote twisted away from his grasp and snapped its jaws angrily towards the wolf's throat, causing Summer to lurch out of harm's way. The pair snarled at each other for a moment as both regained their footing, something Summer luckily accomplished first which allowed him to be just a hair quicker in his second attack. While the coyote was taking aim, Summer made another little lunge, this time connected with the the animal's muzzle. His teeth dug into the thin flesh, cutting into it like razor blades. The coyote yanked its face away with a yelp, but still did not attempt to flee, now too angry to do so as the fight became one for its life.

That was when another wolf arrived on the scene and stole the spotlight from Summer. Both predators were equally surprised by the female's arrival. While the coyote spun to face this new challenger that snapped at its rear, Summer took a few steps back to quickly survey the scene as it began to spin in a new direction. He hesitated leaping back into the fray, partly to catch his breath, but mostly just to make certain than he and this golden female were on the same side when it came to dealing with the coyote.
241 Posts
Ooc —
She snapped her jaws mere millimetres from the coyote's rear and leapt back in anticipation for the beast's revolt. The coyote turned, redirecting his hostile stare to his new attacker. In his eyes she caught a glimmer of fear, and Andalusia gave the brute a wicked grin.

The beast lunged at her, but it was clear the yearling was inexperienced in his technique. Parrying, the Ostrega danced out the brute's way and made a sharp turn to face him. Andalusia charged at his rear again, and sunk her teeth into his soft flesh. A loud yelp came from the coyote's maw and he swung his head round. Andalusia released the yearling at the last minute and pulled away. A sting of teeth grazed her slender snout and she bared her fangs with a snarl. The flash of gold in her periphery gave her time to sidestep the coyote's brazen rebuttal, bolder now that he'd dealt her a lick of damage, but slower from the pain no doubt searing his hindquarters. Swinging her head to face the beast again, her eyes landed a moment upon her ebony companion before returning to the coyote, who seemed in a dilemma concerning which of them to turn his back to. He was outmatched, and yet he still did not back down. The anger seeping from his skin was enough to tell her that.
i am the storm.
373 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Summer stood tensely as the amber she-wolf battled the coyote. Though their scuffle took mere seconds, the young wolf felt as though long minutes had passed. He was still recovering from his encounter with the black and white bitch, both mentally and physically. His lack of prowess in that battle left him hyper aware and attentive to every move that was made during this fight. He watched and he learned, and when the time was right, he launched back into the fray.

The coyote had launched an attack upon the female that missed, and that was when Summer sprang. His bite was wild and lacking in aim, and yet it landed upon the side of the coyote's neck. Summer dug his teeth into the beast's flesh, swinging his neck to throw the animal as hard as he could away from both him and the stranger wolf. The coyote landed with a shriek of pain while the black wolf stood and lifted his head and tail, snarling to warn it of the violence it would be met with if it decided to stand and fight again.

Something in the coyote's mind must have clicked for its resolve snapped before Summer's eyes. Beaten and bloodied, the animal turned and ran off into the woods with one last hiss of rage. The yearling stood for a moment, triumph flooding through his veins. He wanted to remain and enjoy the feeling for a few seconds, but the adrenaline that continued to pump through his veins made him turn towards the other wolf whom he eyed warily. She had helped him win the kill from the coyote, but perhaps it was paranoia from his other violent encounter, but he was not so ready to believe that he wouldn't now have to defend his prize against her.
241 Posts
Ooc —
Her companion was quick to reenter the fight, and Andalusia's eyes flickered at the sheer strength the man imposed against the ruddy beast. He swung the coyote like it was nothing but a soggy leaf and, watching the man's fearsome display, the Ostrega wondered if she'd made a mistake in throwing herself into the fray. But with her adrenaline pumping, she had little time to reflect on these thoughts. Instead, her attention locked on the coyote, who took one last look at the stranger and fled, its threats dying in the evening air as it left a trail of ruddy blood across the frozen ground.

Andalusia watched the coyote flee with triumph alight in her pallid eyes, but the rush of their victory diffused when she felt the watchful gaze of her dark companion set heavy against her. Instinct high strung from the fight, Andalusia turned to face him. He did nothing to hide the wariness written across his face, but she remained composed, revealing nothing of herself but a slight narrowing of the eyes. Sliding onto her haunches, the Ostrega planted herself to the ground. Like it or not, she wasn't about to leave empty pawed. Though he'd found the kill first, it was every ounce hers as it was his own, and she had the coyote's mark to prove it.

"Oh, relax. With the look you're giving me, you'd think I'm wanting to eat you," she scoffed, but made no movement toward the man, and stole no look at the carcass that tempted her so. Patience was key, and the stranger had displayed his strength enough for her to know it would be foolish for her to act in such brash competition against him. "You put up a good fight." Andalusia let a careful grin twitch at her lips. "Glad we're on the same side."
i am the storm.
373 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
The golden female settled down onto her haunches and began to talk to him. There was sarcasm and wit in her voice, but not even a trace of a threat. Summer relaxed as he was bid, smirking slightly at her words. He didn't take a seat like the female, but he felt more settled, particularly after she mentioned the pair of them being on the same side.

"I was just lucky that coyote was worse at fighting than I am," Summer rumbled humbly, "It's even luckier that you came when you did. Thank you for your help." The yearling set his eyes upon his heroine. He was curious about her now, but had never been one to pry into another's life, not without an invite. "Please, share this with me?" he said after a beat, even going as far as to smile for a few brief seconds.
241 Posts
Ooc —
The man relaxed, and Andalusia let her lingering remnants of apprehension subside. Intercepting the business of others came with its risks, but the Ostrega liked to keep her eyes on the benefits. She'd found a decent meal and had gathered a chance to speak with one of the locals, the first she'd approached since entering the Wilds. The wolves in these parts proved tricky to come by, or maybe she'd been the elusive one. Given she'd lived the past weeks in a forest once ruled by a lynx, she felt inclined to believe the latter.

His humility came as a surprise to the woman, but she accepted his thanks with a nod of her golden head and a flickering grin. "Seems we've both had our fair share of luck for the day. Let this be a toast it continues." With that she rose, accepting his invitation but remaining in place. She would let the man take from the carcass first: he had been first to wander across the deer, after all, and the first to challenge the coyote for what it had claimed as its own. Abiding by the rules, the man had a right to first pickings - or seconds, given the state of the half-eaten game on the forest floor. With her right to a meal and conversation secured, she honed her curiosity on the dark stranger instead. "Since I'm sure we'll be here for a while, may I have the pleasure of knowing your name?"
i am the storm.
373 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
The stoic yearling smiled gratefully as she accepted his offer. He dipped his muzzle to her before turning away to step over to the kill. He sniffed gingerly at its already torn skin, finally settling on a bit of bare flesh near its flank for where he would begin his meal. He tore into it to pull out a mouthful, gore smeared across his muzzle as he stepped back, chewed and swallowed. It was cold, slightly stale, but still meat and thus still satisfying.

His ears pricked as the golden female spoke again, this time inquiring after his name. "I'm Summer," he replied after licking some blood his jowls, "And you?" Little did he realize that he was speaking to a fellow Ostrega, and with her he actually shared blood as well as this meal.
31 Posts
Ooc — Kris
Twitch had his greedy, beady eyes on the coyote's kill too, and watched with interest from a safe perch on a tree branch as it was challenged for dinner by a large black wolf, who soon received assistance from a less striking female. Naturally the pair were able to drive it off, as larger predators tended to gain the upper hand of things. The weasel snorted derisively at this thought.

As he started his climb down the tree, the female wolf departed her companion, leaving just the larger of the two for Twitch to bother, and he bounded over to the carcass boldly, leaping atop it and staring the black wolf square in the face. He hissed and hunched his back, a low, snarly word escaping between his bared teeth. "Mine."
i am the storm.
373 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
The female eventually left his company after eating her fill, taking her name with her.  Summer was unperturbed by the lack of introduction between the two of them.  It was rather common and truthfully, the Ostrega had little need for the name of a stranger he would likely never see again.  Little did he realize that this was a name he would have been quite interested to learn, considering it was one he shared...

Nonetheless, his sister left before the knowledge of their common sire was shared.  Summer moved to continue feasting, only to stop when a sudden rustling of the nearby foliage caught his attention.  Curious, he paused and eventually watched as a thin creature leaped up onto the carcass and boldly stated its claim.  The Ostrega merely stared at him for a moment.  He wasn't particularly bothered by it - he was too worn out from fighting the coyote for that.  He was also fairly well fed already.  But still..

"You're serious?" Summer rumbled, unable to help himself.  He quirked a brow at the little creature, wondering if it maybe had no idea just how small it was and just how large he was.
31 Posts
Ooc — Kris
Oh, Twitch knew how small he was and how big the wolf was, but it did not matter. He was fearless, and he wanted this meat, and no he did not want to share, and no it most certainly did not matter that he was effectively trying to steal it. He hunted when he had too and took what he could. It was survival of the fittest, not survival of the biggest. When the wolf asked if he was serious he fixed him with an even more narrowed glare and lashed his tail, his toes gripping the carcass even tighter. He nodded once, sternly.
i am the storm.
373 Posts
Ooc — Stevie
Summer watched as the critter answered his question non-verbally.  It was strangely wolfish of him - the twitching of his tail, the possessive dominance of his stance.  Were he wolf sized, Summer might actually have felt compelled to submit.  But, unfortunately for the weasel, Summer's paw was about half the size of its entire body, and thus he could only find amusement in himself in response to the display.

"Alright, alright... You win.  I'll take this..." Summer rumbled, leaning down to tug away a thick chuck of meat from the beast's haunch, "And the rest is all yours.  Just make sure you bury the leftovers - I'll be coming back through in a few days.  Hopefully.  Or maybe not hopefully, I don't even know where I am, do I..."  It was strange, Summer wasn't usually this verbose with his own species.  But anyway, the wolf dragged his piece of meat away from the rest of the carcass and began to feast, eyeing the weasel out of the corner of his ..eye.
31 Posts
Ooc — Kris
Twitch did not want to share not one bite with this wolf and hissed again and threw a warning snap at the male's muzzle as he reached for a chunk of meat. As the other predator babbled on about how the rest of the meat belonged to the weasel (he would never eat it all, of course but that was not the point, it was his now) Twitch simply stared. He did not need to speak, or do anything else. The wolf took his stolen portion and settled some distance away, enough that the weasel was comfortable eating too. And so the two predators chowed away in silence, each watching the other.