Firestone Hot Springs a fox's tail
256 Posts
Ooc — summer
for @Osprey :)

Autumn had come to the Hot Springs. She'd been here a lot when she was young, but since she'd left home she hadn't visited it. Well, it was cold out today, a better day than any to visit the steamy natural hot tub. She tested the water with a single inky toe, before sinking her front leg in first. Slowly she let her other legs join with a content sigh. She slouched back, leaning against the pool's side, her eyes half closed lazily. This is the life, she murmured to herself contently, a grin of pleasure growing on her face like the Cheshire Cat. She let her eyelids close as she relaxed in the nice hot pool, resting happily, and glad to get a break from the cold weather.

I will exit threads immediately if your character does not understand Autumn's dialogue as it causes inconsistencies in my roleplay experience.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
It had been getting colder during the nights - Osprey's winter coat sheltered her from freezing, but quite often she woke up, her joints and muscles stiff, herself - trembling. Being the tough scout had been fun for a while - because of the challenge it held - yet now she began to reconsider her choices. She wanted a warm comfortable den for herself - even better to have someone to share it with in order to feel safe at least for few hours a day.

She was not despising the winter - she still liked it - but today she was in the mood for warmth and, where else to go, if not to the springs? They were hot in spite of any kind of weather. And the sulphuric smell wasn't that bad that she wouldn't be able to stand it. When she arrived and enjoyed a slow stroll through the area she spotted another creature, who was seeking more comfort in life.

As she neared it, it turned out to be a fox, resting in a pool of hot water. Osprey didn't see any differences in foxes, therefore she didn't recognize it at once and thus she had forgotten her intent on catching and eating it the last time. "I thought that the only things you could fish out were fish. It seems that I was wrong," she spoke to it and sat down at the edge of the pool.
256 Posts
Ooc — summer

Autumn looked up to a voice, to a surprisingly familiar face. But this time it wasn't Caiaphas. It was the same grey fur green eyed lady from the Plateau who'd been trying to eat her or something. However, as Autumn listened to the lady talk to her, she saw no spark of recognition when her face turned to look at her. Now, unlike foxes, wolves widely varied, and Autumn recognized her immediatley. Yeah. Hey, don't eat me, bro. I still got a story for you before you kill me, Plateau girl. She said with a wink and a smile, although it was a smile that wavered nervously. If she hadn't already been sweating before in these hot springs, she sure was now.

I will exit threads immediately if your character does not understand Autumn's dialogue as it causes inconsistencies in my roleplay experience.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Osprey furrowed her brow at the mention of eating the fox and the fact that this creature knew, where she came from originally. She recalled a failed hunting attempt and a fox involved, but whether this fox was that fox - she couldn't tell. As mentioned before - they looked all the same to her. In the end she simply concluded that foxes probbaly had a way of communicating with each other and that one had given a warning to another.

Luckily for Autumn Osprey wasn't hungry today and felt rather tolerant to all of the non-wolves too. No teasing, no nasty business, just plain curiousity out of pure laziness. "If I don't plan on killing you, will you still tell a story?" Osprey asked, realizing later, how dark the humor actually was.
256 Posts
Ooc — summer

Autumn's hopes plummeted. So Autumn could buy her life by telling a story, or else- death for her. To the bottom of a cache. She shuddered. No, no noble spirit fox died in something so pathetic as that. Yeah. I love telling stories! You want me to tell you one? She tried to sound excited, though inside she still thought the wolf might kill her. She'd have to be alert.

1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Osprey didn't understand, whether the fox had got her joke or was truly afraid that she would go after her and kill her, if she didn't tell a story. If the latter, then it would be the first case, when a supposedly pleasant story-telling session would involve death-threats. It felt odd to ask - do you really think I am going to kill you - because it would probably complicate the situation even further, therefore she decided not to mention it and see, how things unfolded.

That one awkward thing aside, it looked like the fox was very eager to share stories, which was a good thing. "If you don't mind - but first - do you foxes have names too?" she asked her, feeling a little silly for doing it.
256 Posts
Ooc — summer

Autumn couldn't help but giggle. Why wouldn't they have names? It wasn't like they just all called eachother "fox". Of course! My name's Autumn Juniper Berry. You can just call me Autumn. And you? She asked politely with a friendly smile, despite the fact that inside her instincts were telling her to run immediatley because the lady was sure to eat her. Autumn had not lived this long to be this lady's lunch. Nervously she ignored it's warnings and waited for the lady's answer.

1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Autumn Juniper Belly... no, Berry! Well, that was plenty to keep in mind. Osprey was secretly glad that her mom had given her a short name that was easy to pronounce and remember. It also appeared that the foxes did have some kind of culture, if they cared to give their kits decent names too. Plus - the fox had promissed a story, which also indicated that there was a lot more going on in the dumb kind's head than Osprey had previously thought. It was a good thing that there was plenty of prey around for wolves not to starve and begin to prey on other, smaller predators. Because... if foxes did have some sort of sense and intelligence... how could she eat them then? Ehw...

"Osprey," she replied and shook her head to toss the "effect" of too much thinking ahead away. "So - the story?" she reminded.
256 Posts
Ooc — summer

Autumn chuckled at Osprey's name, ironically a bird name, not a name kinda name. Next thing you knew they would start naming wolves Fox and Peregrine and Buffalo and and Raven and Magpie and Robin? Pshhhh. What a laugh, at least to the little fox girl. Yeah, Story. You wanna a moral or certain setting or somethin? There are a ton of legends so you got a lot of choices. There's one out there for you. She told Osprey. Well, not that Autumn remembered them all complete, but she could probably find something. She probably wouldn't make one up though, since she already had such variety to choose from.

1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Osprey had never thought that her name was not a real name either. Had Autumn said this aloud, boy, would she feel surprised and confused.
"Fox lore maybe?" Osprey offered, having heard about this type or genre or whatever it was somewhere before and it was the first thing that came to her mind, when she looked at Autumn. "Or a story you like the most? Surprise me!" she let the final choice up to the storyteller. She made herself comfortable by lying on the ground and prepared to listen.
256 Posts
Ooc — summer
I have to stop making characters that are supposedly good at story telling when I suck at making up stories. >~< sorry for the delay.

When Osprey pretty much left the choice still up to her, Autumn decided to quick find some old legends that suited her. But she had trouble getting the wolf's personality. Hunter, Storyteller... Those weren't personality types! And out of the hundreds of stories she'd been told, it was impossible to pick one favorite. So she just chose one she remembered well instead. This story is about a young dark fox called Hidden Emerald. Hidden was a teenager who lived underground. Long ago, when she was very little, her parents were killed when they went to help fight in a large war. Her Aunt Porcupine Quill thought she would be safest from danger where no one could find her, in the Echoround Cave System. But when Hidden was about a year and a half old, wanderlust overcame her. She was sad to leave her caring aunt, but she ran away. As soon as she found the Entrance where Light Slips, she exited the system and found herself in a huge forest. The trees had wide trunks that were reddish in color and huge in size. Hidden gazed in amazement at the wonderful new land. Her shining green eyes observed every detail of the new land as she walked slowly along. Her wonder was disturbed by a high pitched voice from a nearby tree. New here, are you? A small chickadee asked Hidden. Yes, I lived under this land. She replied. I suggest you watch out for Sharp Jaws, then. He is a giant cougar who lives here and will eat anything smaller than him. Hidden nodded and thanked the chickadee for his advice, now wary of the forest's beast. Hidden kept a close eye on any rustling undergrowth, any quaking branch above. But soon she put her worries aside, trying not to become overly paranoid about some tiny bird's advice. Soon she came across a huge lake. Sitting beside it was another fox, however, this one's fur was flame instead of her shadow. When Hidden came close he looked over at her with radiant blue eyes. Hello there, Miss. I haven't seen you around here before. What's your name? I'm Hidden Emerald, she replied with a smile. Perhaps she could make some new friends here. Well, I'm Ocean Gaze, and if you're new here, you'll need a guide, huh. Nice to meet you, Ocean Gaze. Is there really a giant cougar here who will eat any smaller than him? She asked her new friend. He nodded, his eyes sad. My father was killed by Sharp Jaws. He will devour whatever he finds suitable, and if he is not hungry, store it away in his den for later meals. This only made Hidden more sure of the lurking predator. Ocean Gaze gave the dark fox a tour of the nearby forest, most of which looked the same: tall, wide, reddish trees. She parted ways, now ready to be on her own, thanks to Ocean Gaze. About a week later, she was walking along, when another voice spoke to her from above. A new one. The branches creaked under this creature's weight. I have seen you hiding, small creature. There is no hiding from death. It said. She looked warily up into the tree, into the glowing crimson pupils of Sharp Jaws himself. A sharp-toothed grin split his maw, his eyes narrowed upon his prey. She let out a nervous squeal as he leapt from the tree. Hidden darted to the side just soon enough to escape his fangs. She used her speed to leap away, through the now well known forest. Sharp Jaws chased after her. She hid in the shadow of a tree, closing her emerald eyes and hoping she would live. Sharp Jaws ran right past her- she had disappeared into the darkness of the shadow. Her dark fur had helped her to survive through her camouflage. She thanked the gods for her fortunate luck, creeping away after he'd been past a few moments. But soon after she left, he'd been back, tracking her down with his sense of smell. Hidden was on the run for her life, now. No creature escaped Sharp Jaws. But as much as she needed to run, she needed sleep as well. She settled down under a redwood, curled up, and slept. And was awakened with an oof by a huge paw on her tail. She looked up groggily into the red eyes of Sharp Jaws. I told you I would find you, creature. I will kill you. He said, lifting her up of the ground by his mighty paw. Wait! Wait! Please, make a deal! Oh, what deal, hmm? For Sharp Jaws simply loved playing with his prey before making the kill, and could not pass up the temptation of a game. Whoever can hunt the most rabbits in five minutes wins! And whoever loses must shrink themselves, leave the forest and never return. Although if he won Sharp Jaws would not get to eat Hidden, it was fun playing games with your prey and he would feast on rabbits anyway. So he put her down and they agreed to meet back there in five minutes. Hidden set off, tracking down her prey with expertise skill. She would chase them down, into their tunnels, corner them in dead ends and catch them. After five minutes she'd caught seven rabbits, a fine prize. She entered the place they'd been before at the same time as Sharp Jaws. He only had four rabbits. He had thought his strength would be to his advantage, but in truth he'd been to large to enter rabbit tunnels and too big and loud they heard him coming. He'd lost. Looking upon her seven kills and his four, he still saw a way to win. Very well, creature. I will leave and never return. Then he shrunk- from a giant cougar into a thousand tiny lynxes, all with his bloodred eyes. They all scattered in different directions, and left the forest, never to return. But instead of one tiny Sharp Jaws, there were thousands. He'd tricked her at the last moment, despite his loss. And although the red tree forest was free of Sharp Jaws from that day on, all across the land a new creature was born to torment every race: lynxes. And that's how lynxes were born. Autumn finished with a deep breath, it was even a lot of talking for a chatty girl like her. Foxes had their tales for how every creature was born, or how they got their markings, or unique traits. She sat back in content. What would Osprey think of her story?

1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
ooc: hey, don't worry. I don't mind waiting and I know, how very hard it is to come up with a story that is entirely your own creation.

Osprey listened carefully to Autumn's tale and tried to memorize as much as possible from it. Yet, since the story-teller made no pauses, it was sometimes hard to follow true and in some occasions the wolf found herself lagging behind. While she was picturing, how Hidden Emerald arrived in the forest, the fox was already speaking about her meeting the Ocean gaze. However the moral of the tale was not lost and she truly enjoyed the twist in the end. Most of the tales had good guys winning all the time, which was exciting at first, but got boring after you had heard the one hundredth first story of, how a villain got beaten.

There was another thing she had to admit - from this point on foxes were considered and sentient beings. If one could come up with a story like this and, if the fox-lore truly existed... killing these creatures for food seemed wrong. But, even though she decided not to hunt down and eat foxes, if she could avoid it, things would be different under conditions of famine. But the story-teller probably didn't want to hear about Osprey's views of the intelligence of other creatures. It wanted to know, whether the tale had been good or not. "This was interesting," she said with a nod. "I mean, I never thought that lynxes were related to cougars. Oh, and that land, where the Hidden Emerald hunted? Was it real or a bit magical?"
256 Posts
Ooc — summer
again, sorry for delay. Wrap up soon?

When Osprey said she never knew lynxes were related to cougars, she nodded as if she was very educated and smart about these things. Despite it being a legend. They were both felines anyway. Then when she asked about the land, Autumn smiled slightly. All the lands where spirit foxes live were spirit realms, with magic. Or else Sharp Jaws could not have split into several. She said. She was glad Osprey thought her story was interesting. Usually other species had no interest in the legends of spirit foxes that were so dear to her bloodline.

1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
ooc: I have been pretty busy the past two weeks, so I don't mind. And we can wrap up soon, if you wish.

"Spirit realms?" Osprey repeated sounding as if hearing this term for the first time in her life. Not entirely true though - her knowledge in realms was quite extensive, but she simply favored ones over the others for the sake of convenience. Her interest in spirits had been sparked, when she had met up with Nomads during her journey outside the Teekon wilds. Their religion had been complex, but it had dealt with spirits for the most part. Not in a way the fox had told her. Which made her wonder... what if...

"Could you tell more about those realms? I mean, what else can a fox find and see there?" she asked, looking expectantly at Autumn and hoping that she would fulfill her request.
256 Posts
Ooc — summer
ok! I know you're busy too anyway, but i probably cannot get back for a week to this due to vacation! If you wish you can write in an ending, but if you can wait, i will get back to this.

Autumn nodded when Osprey asked about spirit realms, and as she asked for her to explain Autumn smiled. Often other did not understand what they were or what the concept was. She was happy to explain, best she could. Sometimes it was even a bit difficult for her to either believe or understand. Spirit Realms... Are a place spirits are. When a creature dies, their body becomes dirt, but their spirit enters the spirit realm. It is a new place with magic, where everything is not as it seems. We mortals cannot see the spirits, or their realm, but we hear the legends if their adventures in the realm. They can watch us in our daily lives, too. It works for all animals. Autumn explained, taking a breath after her explanation. She waited for Osprey's reply, wondering what she thought of her beliefs.

1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Now there was something to think about a bit more and in detail - Osprey memorized the fox's words about the spirit realms and, how they all had an access to this Other world, once the mortal life ended at this place. Fascinating, really, to realize that a being of another kind could have that depth of thought and perception. As the time would go on, she would learn that the foxes were not the only ones to behold this kind of invaluable knowledge. A lot of other creatures did too. The question, however, was - whether they wanted to reveal it?

As much as she would have loved to stay here and hear more about the fox lore, Osprey knew that her time for leisure was over and that she had to go. Blue needed help with the kids and extra set of paws were never refused. Therefore she raised to her feet reluctantly and stretched. "Well, thanks for sharing," she said, "maybe I can tell you about wolf-lore some other time." And with that she turned and left to head to the plateau.