Ankyra Sound It's a jungle out there
@Caiaphas

#97 strayed too far from his colony in the night, so that just past midnight, he was too far away to return to the cave when fat drops of rain began to pelt the coastline.

Instead, he had to make the split second decision to remain here for the day and return to his home the following night. Rain was bad for bats for a number of reasons, but the most important was his echolocation. When it rained, the drops interfered with his ability to derive a clear mental image of the world. His flight accuracy and speed were greatly disadvantaged, and that wasn't counting the amount of energy it took to stay aloft when weighed down by water.

No, there was nothing good that could come of trying to maneuver through a downpour, so #97 expertly twisted through the tangled branches of a sequoia forest and chose a suitable perch, albeit a very low-hanging one. Without blinking an eye, the skilled flyer flipped over midair and gently grasped the base of a thick branch with his hind claws, swaying as he came to a stop just above a river. He stretched out one elastic wing and began preening his armpit, conspicuous as anything and not particularly caring.
Ghost
in time you'll taste all the salt in my lungs
2,045 Posts
Ooc — lauren
Master Warrior
Rogue
Overhead rain fell -- at first, soft and quiet -- gentle, timid drops that scarce darkened the sky overhead nor the canopy below. But soon the wind heightened and the rain changed its vigor -- the pall of which swept the land in dreary and overcast shadow.

Caught under such an unpleasant deluge, Caiaphas was quick to seek refuge among the monolith's copse, scurrying over the damp loam with darts of her bushy tail. She selected one such tree, which warped and stunted in its growth offered a generous fan of shelter -- yet as she tidied herself under its palm and looked upward she spotted a fluttermouse scarcely a jawsnap's distance from reach. She retracted enough so that she could squint visibly at the upside-down flitmouse, her expression somewhat quizzical as she tried to ascertain what exactly the winged little monster was.

this house was my flowered heart,
but my petals have fallen.