Northern Lights
I want the part of you that you refuse to give. *anonymous*
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle felt bad that she couldn't answer all the questions. She really need to have lessons with her husband again. They had so many other things happening, they had slacked off a good bit. She would have to remedy that, and it may bring him some enjoyment to ease his stress and worry. He loved to talk of his religion.

Thistle frowned in thought, half a god. She grew quiet unsure what else to say. She was thinking hard about it, then spoke softly He is the son of the trickster God Loki and the giantess Angrboða. She thought of a giantess, a huge wolf larger than any ever seen. It made her shiver a bit. He was raised by the gods himself, so he wouldn't cause any problems. But as he grew he was hard to control, so they chained him up.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Aren't gods supposed to be capable of everything? Osprey wanted to ask Thistle, but once again decided against it. She was here to listen and remember not discuss the god's role or even neccessity of it. So far it had been interesting and her thirst for more knowledge grew with every word her companion spoke. In the end it was easy to relate to gods that weren't almighty. That could have flaws and weak points.

"It sounds a little unfair," she commented, upon hearing that Fenrir got chained up for being too strong. "Is that why this beast is so bent on killing Odin? He wants revenge?" she would, if she was in his place. Being chained up in one place didn't seem fair no matter, how you viewed it.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle wasn't entirely sure why Fenrir had been locked up other than he was dangerous and destroyed things. He was a chaotic creature that caused mayhem where ever he would go. At least that is how Thistle understood it.

Thistle shook her head I suppose it is unfair, but he was also dangerous and if they hadn't he would devour the world. I imagine part of it is thanks to revenge. But he is half devourer after all and that is what they do devour. It was hard to explain and the more you explained the further in detail you had to go into and explain what a devourer was, which even Thistle was a little shaky on the details.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Osprey sensed that Thistle's confidence in her words faded as she tried to explain, why Fenrir was chained up. It didn't get any clearer, nor did it make any sense, but in the end she assumed that all good fairy tales needed a big bad wolf and in the Norse legends Fenrir had taken this role.

She then decided that it would probably easier for Thistle to speak about deals that were closer to her heart. Such as family - she seemed like a caring matriarch of the pack, the very heart, soul and fire of the place, that kept it alive. Like Osprey's friend Blue willow in a way. "My father - he had Greek heritage and they had their own deities, which sound a bit like yours. And I always liked Hera - she was the patron of marriage and childbirth and the wife of the top-god there, who was not that faithful to her and often sought affairs with mortal women. Given the fact that she had to live with all the stuff her husband did... I admire her as a very strong being."
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle clicked her tongue for a moment. I'm sorry that I can't explain very well. The thing with viking culture and religion. You start to explain one thing, but that leads into something else so then you have to explain that which leads to something else. For instance I could explain about Asgard to you, but then I'd have to explain it was one of nine, which then i'd have to explain the other nine lands and that's just in the one area....it's confusing even on your best day. Unfortunately it's a culture and religion I am finding out you have to be born into to completely understand and I wasn't. Oh I follow it, but I still have to have clarification often times.

Thistle nodded and frowned, Most gods and even goddess I have found do that. It is common place in viking culture to have more than one wife or lover. That doesn't mean I agree with it, just so you know. But it is a part of it with some.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Yeah... and I once had a discussion with a person, who thought that gods were just like people in many ways," Osprey rolled her eyes. "I just want to see, what my mother would have done, if my father would have gone around dating and hooking up with random beautiful women. He would probably lie somewhere torn to pieces after the first attempt. Those goddesses are too forgiving sometimes," for a moment she wondered, if she had a mate, how she would act to his lovers. Would she tolerate it? No... she would be too jealous to let that happen.

"But maybe it is for us to learn something too," she laughed. "Don't you worry - believe me - all religions are that complicated and often there are more questions than clear answers. That's why I gave up in trying to find something I would trust my faith and soul."
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle smiled softly albeit a little sadly. I have done it. I allowed Ragnar to take another wife, to make him happy. It ended badly, and I don't think I would do it again. However, you would be surprised, what you would tolerate for someone you love. Thistle looked down a little bit shyly. Most people judged her after she shared that news. She thought the she wolf Hawkeye, and how she had been surprised and a little down trodden that Thistle had put up with such things.

Thistle chuckled and nodded her head Yes I agree with that. My mother had her own religion and it was hard on it's best day to learn. She worshiped bears named Atka and Sos, mostly Atka. I don't remember the name of it or even why she did so. Just that she did.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Thistle's revelation of the fact that she had agreed to her husband's decision to take another wife made Osprey give a bewildered look. To put up with it for the sake of her husband being happy, while it did not seem that this turn of events had not given her much joy? She couldn't decide between admiration for Thistle's self-sacrifice and the inkling thought in the back of her mind that this was a very foolish thing to do. The latter based on the fact that Osprey would never agree to that kind of thing - either she would cut all ties with the man or make him choose between her and the other woman.

But this had been Thistle's choice and no matter, what Osprey would have done in her place, she had to respect it. "And... did your husband came out of this situation as a better man?" had he learned his lesson? Had his first wife's sacrifce been worth of something? "Atka and Sos must be a popular religion around the place - you are not the first person I hear about it."
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle nodded her head Yes I know it was not my finest moment. But at the time I felt it the best thing to do. I regret it in a way. Though I even cared for Nerian I suppose in my own way. She was my sister wife, and I would have given my life for her's. Thistle did not deny that she had been foolish. Part of her reasoning being that she had felt selfish keeping him to herself. Especially when it was common place in his religion.

Thistle chuckled softly I would like to think so. But there are times when he tests my patience and I will tell you no. I don't believe he will take another and he certainly treats me better for it. He had always treated her well. At least as good as a man like him could treat her. He loved her and that was enough for her. My mother learned it in a former home. I do not remember where the wilds were, but the pack was shearwater bay years ago now.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
The lengths Thistle would go for her beloved man were amazing and Osprey felt a deep respect for her. Not everyone would have such patience and courage and selflessness, certainly not the Redleaf woman. She would be too proud to do something like that and she was pretty sure, that if she did, her mom's ghost would keep haunting her forever.

"Shearwater bay? That's not far from, where I lived once," Osprey exclaimed at the realization that Thistle's ancestors had come from the part of the world she knew well. "Flightless falcons were located on the South side, but the rumours about the "creepy bay wolves", who were performing odd rituals had reached every corner of the valley," after a little thought she added, "Forgive me that - no offence intended. It was that they were so different."
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle supposed some thought her foolish, and some respect her for her choices. As far as she was concerned no one mattered but herself and her husband. Her children too of course, but even their opinion did not have too much sway. Not where the matters of love were concerned.

Thistle chuckled and shook her head No you are right. My mother's religion is very creepy. As a matter of fact, her own father was a voodoo shaman. So you are correct in your assumption.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
ooc: I think that this is a good place, where we can finish this thread. Thank you a lot for sticking with it so long - I enjoyed it a lot and I think that Thistle and Osprey got to know a lot about each other. :)

"A voodoo shaman - creepy, but... kinda cool," Osprey replied. She had heard a great deal about them and the fact that they could theoretically raise the dead from the grave or control living people made them very fascinating creatures. At the same time she had never felt a desperate need to meet one in real life. There were some characters she preferred to leave in stories only.

Talking with someone had had a positive effect on Osprey, because she had forgotten about the lonliness she had felt earlier. Thistle was a nice companion to have - a lot different from what the gray lady was herself - yet all the more admirable for that. Osprey yawned, feeling suddenly tiredness and sleepiness creeping up her limbs and taking over her body.

"I think that I will go and try to get some sleep," she told her with another yawns. "Thanks, Thistle, for stopping by - it really helped," she smiled. Then - after waiting a little to hear, what the other had to say, she left the leader and returned to her temporary den.
1,280 Posts
Ooc — Danni
Thistle smiled at the mention of her mother. How she missed her. Thistle nodded her head as Osprey made her leave. A nap sounded heavenly, but first she had to continue a patrol. Then perhaps she would find a nice sunny place and sleep. Yes that sounded wonderful.