Blacktail Deer Plateau reporting the patterns row by line
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
"I agree with you... makes living more fun," Osprey nodded, though sometimes having just a bit of knowledge of what waited you ahead, would be very useful. This, however, did not mean that you could prepare yourself enough for the magnitude of events that were going to happen. Maybe this was the reason, why, whoever was up there, decided that it was no use in telling people, what was going to happen in future. At the end of the day - it made no difference, caused more trouble than it was worth most likely.

"What's the oddest thing you have ever experienced... or come accross?" she changed the subject and truly curious. Mordecai - it seemed - had lived in this world for a while, seen and been to places - it could not be that the thread of his life was woven only in monochrome tones, there had to be some bright colors too.
marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
sorry for the delay on this!

Spontaneity in the world certainly did make it more fun and as ever, more of a challenge. Mordecai could not tell what was to happen around the next bend or could dispute the existence of something that was or wasn't. He kept an open mind about it purposely, leaving some of his wonder set aside for the unexplained. Whether or not it was based on fate or destiny or just some sort of random luck it was as Osprey thought β€” at the end of the day, it made no difference.

"The oddest thing I've experienced?" he asked, though rhetorical. "That's a tough one. I've seen a lot of odd things in my life and maybe experienced them too. I've seen the sky glow like it's on fire, but it wasn't an aurora. Wasn't a fire either, for that matter. I've come face to face with prey I've been tracking, prey that's let me walk up to it and show me no fear and only indifference." All those things to him had been odd. "I'm not sure I could rank them above one another, there's so many. What about you though? Have you ever come across something you could not find a reason to use for explanation?"
[Image: warrior_master.gif] [Image: gamekeeper_master.gif]
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
ooc: it has been a tough month for me as well. But we can do it, we can reach 100 posts! :)

"Sky glow like fire?" Osprey seemed confused, as she tried to picture, what could it possibly look like and the only image that resembled it the most was the sunset. Yet she had a feeling that this was not exactly, what Mordecai had went, therefore she cast him an expectant glance and asked: "Do tell more about it!"

After hearing his story it was her turn to think about the odd and unexplainable in her life and - if you put all the imaginary adventures aside - it was quite uneventful. She had seen her fair share of beautiful nights, cold and frosty winter mornings, there had been some scary experiences too - such as finding a frozen corpse of a wolf in the snow. But otherwise... she couldn't find anything in her past experience that would be a match to Mordecai's observations. Then again - this was not a competion, but a friendly chat.Β "This place you come from - did the animals there differ from the ones here? Are one-wish granting sand fairies real or just fiction?"
marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
"Honestly I'm surprised that we've never seen it here, unless we've slept through it," he replied in reference to this not-aurora. "Or maybe it doesn't happen here, I don't know. Just a weird pocket of light, glowing away somewhere. There was something about it that told me I didn't need to go and find it." In truth, it had been nothing more than light polution from somewhere, but he lacked the knowledge to explain this.

So when Osprey turned the conversation back to where he had came from, Mordecai couldn't help but smile a little bit. To think that wolves would find the vistas of Sedona to be interesting struck him funny β€” but who didn't feel that way about where they came from? "The animals don't differ too much, in my recollection. There's more small prey than large though. More snakes definitely. The large game here isn't too fond of the grit and sand and the lack of stable plains to graze on. As for any wish granting fairies... I don't know. Wouldn't surprise me though," he ended with a chuckle.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
ooc: reference to E.Nesbit's book "Five children and It".

"Ever heard of Psammeads?" Osprey asked, after Mordecai had finished describing the flora and fauna of his place of origin - Sedona. It was an old children's tale about these fairies that were far from beautiful, kind and polite. They didn't even fly and reminded little troll-like creatures in their appearance.Β Often grumpy and not very willing to oblige. Whoever had created them, had had a sense of humor.

"They grant one wish a day and as the story goes - whatever you wish, it always somehow goes wrong," she explained, recalling all the mishaps the kids had got into, when they had wished for something. "The good thing is, however, that the power wears off at the sunset," Osprey fell silent for a moment and then an idea struck her and she turned to Mordecai once again: "What do you say, if we play a game? Either of us tell a wish we would ask such sand-fairy and then the other tells, what could go wrong? If you are up for it - you can start by telling your wish. Something selfish, please!"
marrow of the spirit
1,313 Posts
Ooc — Ku
Closing this up because I fail. :C

While he had never heard of Psammeads, Mordecai did not go with the opportunity to ask then and there. Instead he was caught up temporarily with the premise of a game that Osprey presented. And it was a game that they could not help but play while the tales of sand-fairies came to light. The two carried on for some time, perhaps learning something about each other in the process before ultimately going their separate ways.