Blacktail Deer Plateau It ain't like midnight and cigarette smoke
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
short and nondescript but getting this up! @Osprey

As he had taken to doing, Dante made his way towards the spot he knew Osprey to have taken to staying (despite his offer and her lie of having found a den), a large grouse gripped in his jaws.  As he neared he dropped the prize, leaving it hopefully in plain sight and to be easily found.  Though he gave her space, she was still in this pack and therefore he felt responsible in part for her well-being.  As a friend alone he could have perhaps allowed her to fend for herself stubbornly, but as a friend and alpha he could not.

He had no desire to run across her though, and only partially for her sake.  He was miffed by her attempts, as he saw them, to cut ties and what it implied about her thoughts towards her packmates (and himself).  It would be better if he gave himself distance, space to cool down and time for her to get over whatever it was that had her pulling away.  He didn't trust himself to act all that well at the moment, especially with everything else that seemed to be flooding him at once.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Since Osprey was unable to hunt for herself, she had pushed her pride aside and raided the caches, while no one was looking. She tried to take as little as it was possible to just satiate the feeling of hunger, yet the primal need to fill in got the better of her and she ended up eating more. It was quite common now that after she had to fight nausea in order not to spew everything out again. The pain in her joints had not disappeared, but become more bearable. Mostly because she had got used to it and didn't pay that much attention to it. Aside from the obvious fact that she could not run anymore, just hobble. The extra weight didn't help much either.

Therefore it had come as a pleasant surprise one day, when she found that someone had left a fresh kill near the place she was staying. The same thing happened over the next few days and she had caught Dante's scent without seeing him in person. Until today. She had left her spot and was hovering near, eating bits and pieces of ground and little pebbles. The urge to do that may seem odd to the most, yet our bodies are no fools and they signal, when there is a deficiency. Probably had Osprey looked in the mirror, she would have noticed the slight yellowish tinge around the whites of her eyes and gums, but she did not. She coped with the weakness and lived without realizing that something bad was going on.

She had got tired and was returning to her sleeping area, when she saw the leader in the distance. She stopped, contemplating briefly, whether she should let him go or meet and talk right away, then she decided for the latter. Moving faster was met with complaining and aching feet, as well as loss of her breath. Yet she charged onwards. "Hey," she called out to him, being within the distance of him hearing her, yet having to give in and sit down to rest. "Wait, please!"
Shattered windows and the sound of drums - People couldn't believe what I'd become
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Dante hadn't expected to run into her, but his ears tipped back to catch the sound as she called for him to wait.  Left one tilting sideways in acquiescence, he slowed, wheeling around to meet her.  He was uncertain, but if she was finally ready to reach out again, he wasn't going to spurn the attempt. He just wished he wasn't in such a foul place at the moment for dealing with this. Saena's leaving, and his dealings with Koda, had left him drained. He was afraid he didn't have much left to share with Osprey.

He took note of her condition, though, and softened somewhat. He was glad he had taken to leaving food, for she did not look well, and it was even clearer up close. That she would keep to herself to the point of jeapordising her own health and the health of her pups (should she wish to have them) was rather troubling. But he kept quiet, not wanting to start for fear of driving her off again. Instead he would let her begin.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Osprey feared that Dante would not listen and leave, but he did not, instead coming straight to her and stopping few feet away, regarding her with a quiet and a bit troubled expression. She thought she saw some weariness there too, making her wonder, whether it was because of him not wanting to be here or some other troubles. She had heard that Saena had left few days ago, knew that Mordecai was injured, that one of the newcomers didn't seem mentally stable and there probably was a lot more she was not aware of. For a moment she felt very sorry for him having to bear this on his own. She would want help, if there was any way she could have done it.

"I..." she began, searching for the right words to make the first step of mending things between them, "...apologize for... for treating you... for being an idiot." Osprey warily tried to meet his gaze and smile. "And... thanks... for doing, what you are doing. I..." she looked away now. Even though it was evident, it didn't make it easy to admit that she could not handle things alone anymore.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
She spoke hesitatingly, but with an openness and friendliness that showed him she wished to mkae up for her previous behavior as much as her apology did.  Dante knew it wasn't entirely her fault, though.  Emotions had been running high for both of them.

"I am sorry too."  He had been upset... still was, in fact, though he kept this under lock.  His reasons for being upset about the situation had extended past those that were appropriate to air to her, and there was little that could be gained by discussing it - and much to be lost.  He needed to let it go, and he needed to do so on his own terms.  He was sure he would be able to in time, he just wasn't sure how much.

He was giving up before he'd even entered the game.  He'd determined it wasn't worth the cost of their friendship to pursue something that was surely not going to be returned.

"That's what friends do.  They help one another.  I wanted to give you space, though.  And I needed some myself,"  he admitted, then offered a small smile.  This was held a moment before disappearing once more as he slipped back into seriousness.  "I'm also sorry that I asked you to stay like that.  Not because I want you to go... I definitely don't.  But because it isn't my place to decide.  And if you are unhappy... well, just, I forget that my words have weight sometimes."  He often forgot that his station allowed him to issue orders and that what he saw as a friend requesting a favor could be read as such by the other.  He did not know if this had been the case with Osprey, but he wanted to be sure and clarify in case.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
I wanted to give you space, though.  And I needed some myself. Osprey looked up at Dante, feeling guilt for upsetting him. Why was it so that the only moment, when you truly saw, how much a friendship meant to you, was, when you were at odds with that person? Osprey had had friends before, had had plenty of arguments too and her share of coming to that person and apologizing with head and tail held low. Yet never had it felt so important for her to mend things, for having him as her friend and companion again. Not entirely because she needed someone to keep an eye on her or care, just... that it would feel right that way.

Her face fell, when he reminded her of the rash decision to run away, because from where she stood now it would have been a stupid and most likely lethal decision. "I am glad you asked me to stay," she was now staring down at her paws. "Cause... I-I had time to think and... and I have nowhere else to go and this is my home," she sighed, happy for having said this. "But... does anyone else want me gone?" Osprey lifted her gaze to look in Dante's eyes. She knew that Saena would probably be on that list - she would not blame the girl - and there could be others too. The interests of pack came before the individual and, even though she was not willing, she would go, if her situation jeopardized the balance and hierarchy within the group.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
He felt some of his tension leave as she admitted she was glad she had remained, for he had doubted it somewhat.  She'd been so withdrawn he'd half expected her to disappear regardless, whether it be to make a new start somewhere else or track down the father.  To hear her say that this place was home made him glad, for it meant he wasn't about to lose her friendship.  And though for a while it would be a bit awkward for him, being around her, he did not have many he felt he could relax so much around, and it was nice to know that at least for a while he would still have that.

"None have come to me expressing that.  So I do not know.  But Blue, Lasher, and I are in agreement... this is your home, for as long as you wish it.  This doesn't change that."  His eyes met hers, evenly.  They could have had a meeting, discussing it, but Dante knew that would change nothing.  Regardless of what the others might think, he wasn't about to kick her out on her own, and he liked to imagine their packmates were better than that.  Some might wish her punished, but surely none would wish her to be thrown out to fend for herself.  Dante did not often use his position to his advantage (a fact Saena had been quick to note), but in this instance he did not feel badly doing so.

He imagined one of the ones who was on her mind, and then realized she might not have heard the news.  "Saena came and spoke with us, though.  She has decided to strike out on her own."  He watched her, uncertain as to what this would mean to her.  Though she was undoubtedly not a supporter of her aunt, they were family after all.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Thanks, it's... nice to know that," Osprey felt relieved, because, even though none of the leaders had expressed their wish to have her gone, part of her had feared that they would change their minds at some point. And the prospect of what would she do or what would happen to her outside was too horrifying to think about. It was good to push it out of her mind for now. It seemed to her that the decision of the leading trio would not be changed by anyone's complaints, which meant that she was safe. Under someone's guarding wing.

"I spoke to her a while ago," their last meeting just the same way as all of the previous ones had not gone smoothly, but Osprey wanted to believe that they had not parted on entirely hateful terms either. "I sensed that she might go for that..." whether her situation had hastened the process, she could not tell. She could only hope that she wasn't the only reason that had driven the girl away from the plateau. "She will achieve a lot though... so maybe it's for the better," she shrugged, her voice neutral.

"Does Peregrine know? About me?" it suddenly occurred to her that, knowing her close relationship with her brother, someone might have gone ahead and informed him about, what was going on. The idea of him knowing felt very unwelcome.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
She wasn't surprised, and he was grateful not to have upset her with the news.  Despite his label as counselor, he never quite felt he knew the appropriate way to handle it when others were upset.  Especiallly when it was he who brought about the reaction.  Much like her, he wondered if he was the reason behind Saena's departure... he thought it more likely it was his own reaction to Osprey's situation, and lack of affirmative action, that had shown the yearling she no longer wished to dwell here.

"I think it is.  I don't think she could have done as she wished if she had stayed."  It was a subject he'd thought a surprising amount on, and one that he stood by.  She would not have been happy leading in the Plateau, not with he, Blue, and Lasher still here.  

"Not that I know of.  We haven't sent word.  It isn't our place to tell him, unless you would like someone to go let him know?"  As Lasher had said, Fox would likely not take well to the news, though he wondered how much she would say.  After all, Osprey wasn't one of her own, and even her status as Peregrine's sister didn't give the ember woman much power to speak on it.  Peregrine too didn't seem the type to allow others' opinions to sway his own, not that much and not where family was concerned.  Still, he didn't see any need for Peregrine to know, unless she wanted him to.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Dante was right about Saena - the girl was tough, stubborn and had her opinion about, how things should be and go. That - unfortunately - was not compatible with the way the three leaders managed things here. She had worked hard to prove herself and probably had felt underestimated in the end. Osprey wasn't too happy about the girl's departure - even if it meant that there was one person to argue with and endure less. She found it strange that she cared for her - there was part that congratulated the young wolf for this brave step and then there was a part of her that worried, if she would be alright on her own. Conclusion - strange things those hearts are.

When Dante explained that Peregrine was not informed about her state - Osprey let out a sigh of relief. Things were alright then in that aspect for there was no way he could help her and knowing the trouble she was in would make him not only unhappy, but would also possibly put him at odds with the plateau again. Now that things between the two packs had calmed down, arguments and hurt feelings left in the past, another turmoil was unneccessary. "If... if something happens though," she began after a moment of silence. These words didn't come easy, but they had to be said, "somehing bad, then he ought to know. It's his right." Maybe it was not the right place or time to talk about death, she wished that she didn't have to do it, but she had to be sure that her brother would not be left in the dark, if she didn't make it or was close to the finish line.

"Can I ask you a favor?" she looked up at him, feeling both a little hopeful and ashamed at the same time. "Not that you haven't done enough favors for me already," Osprey smiled awkwardly and averted her gaze to look down at her paws.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Her sigh said everything that needed said on informing Peregrine... No word would be sent.  His ears tipped back as she went on to imply that something might happen, though Dante was enough a realist to know the dangers posed during a birth. They could do all they could to prevent it, but he nodded, for should it be necessary Perry would definitely be told.

"Go for it," he responded affably as she asked, for she had hardly met her quota on favors. Hunting for the pack was a part of his duties, not really an stretch to perform, and so long as it was in his power he'd try to provide what she asked. It was surprising how little the pack asked of him, and he wasn't all that great at guessing what they needed. He would welcome the straightforward request.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Osprey and Burke's last meeting had not ended well (it was turning out to be a tradition in sorts), but the reason she felt angry with him still was not because he had caused her pain by shoving her inconsiderately of her feet, but rather, because he had been right about one thing. You can be independent but don't be too stubborn about asking for help. These were his exact words and in the days that were to come, whenever it got too hard for her to manage the most basic things, she heard his voice. She was not alone - she had built walls around her to keep everyone out - but that there were people, who wanted to help her, if she let them.

Last night, she had lied awake for many hours, because of the pain in her limbs and because her imagination of, what could the darkness bring, was running wild, giving her nightmares and dreams that felt very real. To the point of hallucinating. It was then, when repeating herself over and over again that it was alright, that she did not have to fear, she had understood that she did not want to prove the others that she was tough anymore. That she was weak and wasn't getting any better. That the loneliness had become unbearable. Dante's voice was encouraging, yet still Osprey struggled for the right words to tell him that she did not want to be on her own. Admitting defeat to yourself was easier than admitting it to a friend too.

Trying to imagine, what would MO do in her place, didn't help much, because Osprey was sure that her mother had never been in this kind of situation. For some reason she had a feeling that the former queen of the Flightless falcons would not leave her without an advice. Don't be a coward. MO's voice whispered in her ears. The idea that maybe there was no shame in asking a favor, when you really needed that, gave her strength in the end. After a silence that felt to her having lasted for eternity, she cleared her throat and as hard as it was, looked Dante in the eyes and said: "Could you... if you are able to and want to, of course, come and stay the nights here with me? I manage through the daytime, but... it's harder to find rest at nights. I... I am scared."

This was, how far her courage could take her - she broke the eye contact and looked away, feeling that, if she her plea was rejected, it would be easier to swallow te disappointment.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
You are SO CLOSE to 1000!!!!! :D

It took her a while to make the request, so obviously quite a bit of pride was being put aside here.  He could understand that.. it was always preferable to shoulder things on one's own, to not be a bother.  But sometimes you had little choice but to bite the bullet and ask for support.  There was nothing wrong with that, yet he waited patiently, knowing that it was hard all the same.  Just because it was okay didn't mean it was simple.

When she finally began, looking him in the eye, what she asked for was completely unexpected.  Not long ago he'd offered his own shelter to her, but she'd turned him down then.  Now it seemed she had reconsidered, though in a way he hadn't in any way guessed.  He could have laughed.... it was perfect.  Of course this would be the request.  He couldn't turn it down, though, even if he'd wanted to.  And he did not want to, much as it might be a mistake.

This was not going to make what he felt he needed to do any easier, though.

He kept his thoughts to himself, though, and the smile that came was not wry, but genuine.  "I think I can manage that."  He hardly used his den in the warmer weather, much preferring the open air of sleeping under the stars.  Except in times of rain, he did so, and even then he'd sometimes find a nice tree to shelter under instead.  Coming to her location would be little different from that, and it would be nice to have the company too.  
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Osprey was unaware that something in a way her leader saw her had changed, therefore she didn't know, that in a way him agreeing to help her out... that there was a bit of struggle on his side too. For all she cared was that he didn't sound the least bothered or uneasy about the arrangement, when she looked up to see his smile, she could not help, but answer with one of her own.

"Thanks," it was easier now that the hardest part was behind and she could look forward to something pleasant - it had been long time, since she had felt this. "I am not sleep-walking or being creepy or anything..." Osprey added in a little shy manner, "just restless. Can't sleep for long stretches of time, I keep waking up and... yeah, I guess I am seeing and hearing things too. Sometimes." She decided that it was better to be honest about, what he was getting into. "Think you will manage to live with that too?"

ooc: I am amazed and excited too. I would have never thought that I would get this far with Osprey!!!
Hey, would you mind continuing this thread in different time frame? Meaning that this is part one and the other one takes several hours later - in the evening?
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
I'm cool with that!  I'll let you skip it <3

He nodded, chuckling.  "I think I can handle that too."  He wasn't the deepest sleeper himself most nights, though it had been a while since the nightmares plagued him.  One of such had been the reason for their first meeting, if he recalled correctly.  "Just so long as anything I might say or do in my sleep stays between us," he joked, pretty sure he wasn't a sleeptalker either.  Still it wouldn't do for her to try blackmailing him with something embarassing that might by chance slip out.  Nightmares of squirrels or such.

"If you do start sleepwalking, though, I'll make sure you don't walk into any trees if you do the same for me."  His lighthearted manner was equal parts an attempt to once more bridge the gap in their friendship and to put his mind back to where he knew how to define them.  It would work out, he could tell.  He enjoyed her company and nights would be that much less lonely for him as well.  He wasn't a wolf that disliked isolation, but he also could attest to the pleasure of sleeping with a packmate at your back.  They were social creatures, after all.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Dante joked and his light-hearted and joyous manner about discussing the arrangement reached Osprey and for the first time in a very long time she smiled for real, her eyes lit up and her tail swayed few times, as she memorized his conditions. She could not imagine, what could be the worst thing Dante could possibly say during his sleep, but everyone had their own measures of, what was appropriate and what was not. Therefore she nodded - her lips would be sealed. It was not that she socialized with the rest of the pack at the moment anyway.

"Ok," she said and then realized that she might have kept the leader from his duties a little too long. She imagined that he must have had a very busy schedule, therefore just before going to her spot, she said: "I will wait for you then."

It had been a busy day for Osprey too, for she had worked hard on making the place by the fallen tree, which she referred to as "The spot", more den-like. Instincts that had lied dormant all this time had finally kicked in and she found strength and determination to dig the soft earth in order to make a shelter, where to hide. The end result was a very muddy and tired wolf and a pit big enough for her alone to climb in and curl up in a ball. There was a lot of place for improvement, which she would do over the next days, but it was good enough for today.

She was lying on her belly, enjoying the last warm rays of the setting sun, while licking her forepaws clean and occasionally lifting one of them to rub the equally dirty muzzle. Now and then she would pause and raise her head to look around and listen, in case someone was coming.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Glad to finally see her smile, he gave a farewell of his own at her dismissal, then went on to take a quick jaunt about the territory.  It served two purposes... it made sure nothing was out of place and no one had intruded, and it also made him available should anyone wish to seek him out.  He liked to follow patterns most days, so others could find and speak with him at will.

As the sky began to slowly darken, though, he jogged the short distance from where he was to where he knew Osprey to stay.  She was there when he arrived, having slowed to a walk so as not to come up quickly and startle her.  She was covered in mud, which surprised him, but the source was apparent in the overturned earth nearby.  The effort seemed unnecessary to him, for his offer still stood on a perfectly good den that he'd already spent days readying that fall, but he did not say so.  If this was the spot that she wished to reside, then he knew on instinct that it was right and not to question it. 

Instead he cast a friendly smile at her, settling down with a small amount of space between them.  Whether or not to close that gap was up to her.  "Been busy, I see," he said conversationally, appraising the hole.  She'd accomplished quite a bit while he'd been roving.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Dante's arrival was met with a happy gaze and wagging tail. If Osprey's feet hadn't been so tired, she would have gone so far to get up and greet him properly, therefore she compensated this by closing the small distance between them and offering him a quick lick on the side of his muzzle as a sign of appreciation. During the day she had worried a bit that he might change his mind in the end, but she pushed these thoughts away by the confidence that he would keep his word. He had and the fact that the timid-self, who had had doubts, was proven to be wrong, made her even happier.

"Yes," she nodded, casting a quick glance back at her "construction site" and then back at him. "I figured it could be a good place," with this she finished the subject, not wanting to press it further. "How was your day? Your coat," she paused, turning her head so that she could have a quick sniff at his fur, and then looked up, "bears many smells. It's as a map of stories. Tell, what you did and where you were and what's new?" She was thristy for knowledge and any kinds of news would do for her, because life at this small area was good and peaceful, but boring.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
Happily she decided to close it, and he accepted the greeting with a broad smile, returning one of his own before turning his attention to a burr that had worked its way into the fur on his opposite shoulder.  As he worked at getting the darn thing out, he listened.  She didn't seem keen on elaborating, but he guessed at the purpose for the place and it wasn't a subject he was wanting to dwell on either.  Thus he was perfectly fine with the evasion.

"A stroll of the kingdom," he said, "though I did not run into anyone.  I did meet up with a couple mouthy squirrels.  Insulting, they might be on the menu one of these days.  Can't very well allow that to stand." Though the idea of every prey in the area heckling him was a rather amusing one, in theory at least.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
As Dante began to tell, how his day had gone, Osprey rested her head on his back, sighed and closed her eyes, while her ears keenly picked up every word and conveyed them to her brain, which - in turn - tried to draw the image of what it could have looked like. Meeting with mouthy squirrels, that probably insulted you in the worst possible way and yet you had no idea, what words they used and why... Maybe not the most exciting and dramatic event of a day that one could have, but the thought was entertaining.

"How is Blue doing? And Mordecai - I heard that he was injured," she wanted him to fill in the gaps in her knowledge about the packmates. She cared for both, but for various reasons had been unable to go, meet and speak with either of them in person. It was a pity. She missed talking with people.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
His days weren't particularly exciting, a fact he was aware of. He wished he could have had some sort of encounter to make the telling more interesting, but sadly the land had been quiet. He could have made something up, but he did not feel like it and doubted that was what she wanted. She wanted to keep informed. Most of his walk had been with his thoughts, though, and even if those were worth sharing he didn't wish to. They mostly revolved around retrospection and might not have been so easily dismissed by those he cared about, and who might care about him, as they had been by he himself.

"As far as I know, Blue is doing well. I haven't seen her much, though I assume she is keeping busy." He smiled at the thought... Her children were rambunctious things. He'd had some dealings with the little adventurer Constantine and couldn't imagine trying to keep up all the time. A labor of love, that.

"Mordecai however is doing well. I spoke to him about that, but he doesn't seem to have taken any lasting damage. It would take more than a couple angry wardens to keep him down." There was respect in his tone, for Mordecai was a wolf Dante couldn't help but admire some. "He said it was a place called Blackfeather Woods where the attack came from. I've told him to let others know to avoid it. No sense in tempting fate by straying into unfriendly territory." He doubted she would be going so far anytime soon, but still she should know. He was completely unaware that one of their members had actually come here, and that he was known to her.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
Osprey had never considered her odd relationship with Burke as something worth mentioning. It was not entirely pleasant to know that you had spoken with a possible stalker/creeper on three different occasions, all having taken place totally at random. She sure as hell was not looking for the man's company and it did seem that every time her path crossed with Burke's, he seemed to be a bit of surprised too. On top of that - he had never disclosed, where he came from, and the scent of his coat was totally unfamiliar to her. Therefore she kept Dante's warning in mind, but didn't connect it to the big brute that she had talked with just few days ago.

"It's good to know that he is fine. I was worried," she explained with relief in her voice. There was a moment of silence, when something occurred to her and with eyes still closed, she smiled. "Do you know that we have a shared friend that told me that you think I am awesome?" she asked, giving him time to remember, who the friend was. "Just for you to know - I think that you are kind of awesome too," she finished sleepily and yawned.
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
it took Dante a moment, but he remembered.  He wondered if perhaps friend was a strong word for what he counted the irritating youth, but he had to admit he liked Charon's drive and straightforward nature.  Her sleepy admission warned him, and though it was on the tip of his tongue to jest about her choice of the term kinda, instead he simply absorbed the statement and let it fill him.  He couldn't imagine when she had met up with her friend, but he was glad those words had been passed to her.

"He might have told me a couple things too, about a certain Lady Nobless Firecomet he seemed rather fond of."  He laid his head down on his paws.  "She sounds like a great friend.  He's lucky to have her."  Falling silent, he allowed her the chance to sleep, his own eyes remaining open.  Though he did not mind chatting, he didn't wish to keep her up, for he knew exhaustion weighed heavily on her mind and body.  He would remain watchful for a time if she fell asleep, not quite ready to rest just yet.
1,700 Posts
Ooc — Me
"Yup, that's my secret name," unlike many people Osprey was not embarrassed that others knew, what she did and by what nickname she ran during her free time. Even if it was funny and made no sense at all. "Don't laugh, if you don't have one of your own," she warned him playfully, though she had a feeling that he would not.

"Sir Knight Starchaser and Squire Drake are great buddies too. You wouldn't believe in how many adventures we have got ourselves in," this statement was not entirely true, for they had had exactly one adventure together that had ended up with her having a sore jaws for a few days. Then again - each of their meetings had been special. An adventure in it's own way. "But that's a story for another day," she finished and sighed again. "Good night!"

ooc: last post from me - thank you for the thread and I will look forward to the next one. :)
1,357 Posts
Ooc — Starrlight
as always, enjoyed it immensely! We shall have to have another soon (though our other is still ongoing :P haha)

"Not a sound," he responded lightly, though he looked sideways at her out of his periphery.  He had held a title, once, but he much preferred theirs.  A title given by a friend was well earned... Unlike one born into.  "Perhaps another time," he agreed, falling silent a moment before a soft "goodnight" followed.

He would likely not be falling asleep soon, and instead watched the play of shadows cast by the moon's glow in the trees. As he did so, he listened to the regular breathing next to him, and he felt the thrum of satisfaction. It really was a fine thing not to spend the night alone. After a time he too drifted off, a light but restful sleep that would allow for waking should it be required.