Wolf RPG
Wapun Meadow no gale can down this ship - Printable Version

+- Wolf RPG (https://wolf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: In Character: Roleplaying (https://wolf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://wolf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Wapun Meadow no gale can down this ship (/showthread.php?tid=34267)

Pages: 1 2 3

no gale can down this ship - Ingram Sr - May 04, 2019

part 5 of ingram's task. for @Cadeau -- you made me a thread for arcturus a while back, but it was picked up by another player. since arcturus is in limbo, have an ingram instead.

the days ground onward, while @Blodreina's time came to a burgeoning close. ingram was loathe to roam out of howl's range of his wanlida, terrified that at some point she might call him and her summons would go unanswered. today he scarcely ventured beyond the cusp of arrow lake's stony diameter, filing down into the meadow with one ear always turned behind him.

he had come to learn wapun meadow was a road of sorts for travelers. there were several packs to the east, and one lingering just beyond the southern brim of the valley. today he hoped he might intercept a scout or sentry on their way north, and if lucky, pick the brains of any wolf kind enough to withstand his ceaseless chattering.

RE: no gale can down this ship - Cadeau - May 04, 2019

The lithe female took in the vast sight of the grassy meadow in with curious earnest eyes, knowing open plains such as these had many different kinds of plants hiding here, such as herbs or just beautiful flowers in general. An aspiring herbilst, Cadeau was always interested in scouting out places that had both these things for her to research up close and personal. Besides, the view was just lovely, a series of stoney structures seemed to hint at a lake in the distance she was considering heading to see once her detour here was complete.

She walked on long legs, skinny and lanky Cadeau was built wiry like a feline, despite her wolf and saint bernard heritage. Perhaps once she hit her second year of life she would begin to bulk up. The halfling stopped when a clump of flowers caught her eye, white and tinged with light blue in its petals Cadeau drew closer to give them a proper look over. She hadn't seen these kinds of flowers before, Cadeau surmised as she catalogued the finding in her mind. Perhaps she should pick some and bring them back to where she was resting with Illidan for testing farther from this part of the territory.

RE: no gale can down this ship - Ingram Sr - May 04, 2019

ingram was not long on the thoroughfare before the figure of a wolf moved through it. he watched the wolf for a moment, drinking in what he could at a distance. she did not look like any wolf he ever recalled seeing, and he noticed she was bent downwards, perhaps rifling through the bounty of flowers the meadow had to offer.

he left her to her own device for a bit, loathe to interrupt her hobby -- yet as she drifted closer, the male stood and waved his tail in a flag of good-will. "oi!" ingram's voice carried over the flower-studded vale, chipper despite the gloomy day around them. "you looking for something?"

The halfling reeled in surprise when a voice called out to her from across the meadow, Cadeau jerking her head up so quick you'd think there was possible whiplash there. She didn't want to risk crushing the flowers in her surprise and so Cadeau took a step back, lo if the stranger turned out to be hostile. Though, if he were reaching out to her he couldn't have the intentions to pick a fight, right? 

At his question, she shrugged her shoulders. "Nothing in parcticular, just anything flowery and herby," Cadeau told the male wolf, cocking her head curiously at his appearance.

ingram hadn't meant to startle the seeming-wolf, and he felt a pang of guilt as she shot up from the flowers as if thunder had clapped behind him. his features were apologetic as she turned to face him. ingram was taken by how strange she looked for a wolf; the parts were clearly all there, but he had never seen a wolf quite like her.

she mentioned she was after flowers. ingram knew... exactly nothing about flowers. his tail fell, as did his ears, which cupped to his skull giving him the appearance of a wolf who had just let someone down. "ah. any particular reason...? someone's not sick, i hope?"

The halfling could feel his eyes on her, no doubt trying to pick her apart due to her strange hybrid appearance. Cadeau tried to ignore it, even if it left a unsettled feeling in her belly. She wasn't too fond of people trying to look through her layers to see what lay within, her heritage was a touchy subject and being insecure about her looks didn't help matters either. 

His curiousity over what she was doing with the flowers was a welcome distraction, Cadeau absently leaning down to look at the floral life again as she spoke up, "Nobody's sick, but I plan to be ready if they are," Cadeau explained, smiling as she lift her head back up. "I'm studying the effects of plant life, you see."

ingram missed that she was uncomfortable under his gaze; as far as he knew, she was just another wolf. one that was like no other he had seen, but that was not in itself a rarity. ingram remembered nothing of his life before his catastrophic meet with shardik -- cadeau was just another wolf to him, albeit unusually marked.

he tentatively drifted closer as cadeau exposed she was looking for flowers 'just in case'. his attention fastened on a flower beneath her paws -- he didn't even know its' name, much less its' use. "i see," ingram observed, glancing down the row of verdant greens. "are you a healer?"

RE: no gale can down this ship - Cadeau - May 05, 2019

Cadeau saw the male was coming closer, he seemed friendly enough as she suspected if he were a threat he wouldn't even be asking questions. It would have started with bared teeth and furious snarling to chase her off from the getgo, not curiousity about why she was looking at flowers in this meadow, or so she hoped her gut feeling was right. She didn't feel threatened persay, just a bit shy, meeting other wolves was still a strange experience for her, even if thus far her encounters had been varying levels of polite and amiable. 

"You could say that," Cadeau barked with a grin tugging at her petite muzzle. "I don't have any awards yet but I want to get there oneday, self teaching only goes so far. I've eaten more strange things than anyone alive ever reasonably should." She shuddered as she recalled the few times on her journey she'd tested a herb only to feel terribly ill after, it was an embarrassing mishap but it was worth the self-sacrifice if it made her one more step smarter in understanding how herbal medicine worked.

RE: no gale can down this ship - Ingram Sr - May 05, 2019

ingram kept his approach slow. he might not remember much, but he knew many she-wolves had reason to be suspicious of male wolves, especially this time of the year. he kept his distance respectful, and his gaze on the flowers cadeau had been rifling through.

as he had initially expected, she was some sort of healer -- or at least, an aspiring one. she mentioned she had eaten many, possibly more than anyone alive would deem reasonable. at this bit of information his ears perked, and he recalled to mind stigmata's task of him.. a task he would take seriously regardless of his completion: the safety of his children was paramount, and ingram immediately thought of a question that he could not contain. "do you know of any plants puppies shouldn't eat? can you tell me?"

he realized cadeau might want an answer for his frankly absurd, and weirdly specific inquiry. "i'm.. i'm going to be a father soon." he could not help the proud grin that played his muzzle; it spilled like sunshine across his features, but soon evaporated as he thought of what plants might be poisonous to his brood, and how many he might need to learn to avoid.

RE: no gale can down this ship - Cadeau - May 06, 2019

Cadeau's attention alternated between the pretty flowers and the stranger, eyes jutting to and fro. She hoped she didn't look rude but she was also on a field survay here, she needed to chart all the information she could on these plants. Cadeau reached with her jaws to the neck of some flowers, nipping the stems so she could carry them back to her makeshift camp with Illidan. Maybe he would help her test these. 

At his question, Cadeau deposited the flowers to the ground and looked thoughtful. It was the first real medical question she was asked, it sort of thrilled her honestly. "Puppies can have just about anything like us grown wolves but you need to make sure they don't eat too much, overdosing is easier for little ones." She paused. "You really want to try avoiding stuff like Nightshade strictly, that's for sure. Poison ivy can be bad if you injest it and Lady's glove... boy the list is majorly long," Cadeau sighed heavily, brain suddenly feeling fried.

At his statement of becoming a father, she smiled. "Oh, how exciting. Congrats," the yearling told him with a beaming look. "Maybe if I'm in the area I could lend you a paw with the delivery, I've never partaken in one but I've been studying." Back home she'd heard stories from other mothers and midwives who would assist in labors, Cadeau knew the only way to ever get a handle on doing it herself was to help in one some day. "Where are my manners, I just realized... My name is Cadeau," she introduced herself with a polite nod.

RE: no gale can down this ship - Ingram Sr - May 06, 2019

there was no way ingram was committing a long list to mind; thankfully, cadeau gave him a relatively short one, though she indicated the list itself was quite lengthy. ingram didn't know what nightshade was -- he wanted to ask, but at the risk of sounding stupid, clapped his trap shut.

one thing that did encourage the eyjolfur was the smile that lingered on her features. the last wolf he had shared such profound news with had appeared rather nonplussed by the event. his tail wagged, and he inched closer as he looked at her bundle of plants. "that's really kind of you," he answered, trying to diplomatically navigate an answer that would sound close to no. it wasn't because he didn't like her -- but he knew blodreina would not want a stranger, or anyone, near her while she gave birth. "we have a midwife of sorts in our pack, that will help us." he gave an appreciative smile, hoping cadeau would not be too dejected. "but i appreciate it. you seem to know a lot about plants. do you think that sticks and stuff would be safe toys for them? they won't get splinters, right? and what should i give them, if they do, or they get infections?"

RE: no gale can down this ship - Cadeau - May 06, 2019

Cadeau nodded her head in understanding, not too offended at being told no. She expected the response truthfully, after all she was a complete stranger. She did feel a bit bummed out on the miss oppertunity though but she wasn't going to sulk. "Say no more, that's good your pack has one," Cadeau told him with a quirk of her lips.

At his next question, Cadeau looked thoughtful. "Sticks are great and all but just be careful the puppies aren't eating them. Wood in the stomach hurts. Alot. Otherwise I'm sure if you keep an eye on the cuties they'll be fine. I use to play with thick logs, mama was always worried I could choke on it if it were a twiggy thing." Cadeau smiled at the memory of her wonderful mother, shaking her head once to avoid going down a path of nostalgia that would only smart old wounds. "Marigold is good for infection, its a golden flower that's kinda round in the petal department. Also salty water is good if you want to clean a wound out, salt is a natrual germ replealant. It stings but totally worth it."

RE: no gale can down this ship - Ingram Sr - May 10, 2019

as it turned out, cadeau understood ingram's reticence. he gave an assured smile, unwilling to offend her. it was not her -- she was just a stranger, and he happened to be very protective of blodreina. maybe if he knew cadeau better, things would be different.

so far it seemed the woman was proving incredibly resourceful -- at the very least, she seemed genuinely kind. ingram tried to soak up all of the information she imparted like a sponge, but his brain was, in many ways, as full of holes as a sponge -- most of it simply trickled out.

"thick logs," ingram murmured as cadeau detailed the risks of thinner branches. she continued on, mentioning the properties of a few plants he barely knew... and then she mentioned salty water. ingram frowned; the only place he could get that kind of water was the coast, and he had no way to carry it back. this conundrum was pondered over for a few seconds before ingram at length spoke. "okay, so logs that aren't too thing. salty water for cleaning a wound, and marigold -- which is a round flower?" he looked to her in all seriousness, and then blurted, "are you saying they are fat?"

RE: no gale can down this ship - Cadeau - May 11, 2019

Cadeau watched him process all this information, which to be fair, was a lot of stuff to take in. Even she despite actively studying struggled to remember everything medicial she knew at times, it was just so much to recall. The amount of plants seemed endless and even then she only could count the ones she knew truely on two front paws as of now, she tried making up little songs and tricks so she couldn't forget and cause a mess up.

She saw him frown at the mention of salty water and Cadeau had a hunch why, so she added, "You can use moss to absorb water, or find something hollow you can carry it back with your mouth." When he asked for a refresher on what she just said, she couldn't help the amused smile on her face. He was certainly eager to be prepared for his kids, that was for sure. Those pups probably had little to worry about with a father like him. Cadeau sniggered, "Yes, marigold's have fat petals. I'm trying to sound more professional here, see?"

RE: no gale can down this ship - Ingram Sr - May 11, 2019

cadeau imparted some clever ways to deal with his conundrum; ingram apprised her with a surprised but approving glance. she was clearly sharp -- he would have never in a million years have considered either of those work-arounds.

pleased his deadpan disbelief was met with a giggle, ingram smiled, his tail waving behind him. he would have to keep an eye out on these so-called fat flowers. ingram couldn't suggest an alternative name for them, since he hadn't seen them before, but he laughed at the idea of fat and professional strung along in the same sentence.

"you've been a huge help," ingram mused suddenly, glancing from the flowery bundle to the female. he realized he had not offered his own name, for he had been so wrapped up in trying to remember all the knowledge she generously imparted. "i'm ingram."

Cadeau couldn't resist puffing her chest out in shameless pride as the male said she was a huge help, looking like a peacock. It made her feel good to help others, real good frankly that she could feel it burn from the tips of her ears to the tips of her toes. The yearling was more than happy to help someone, it was refreshing after a winter wraught with pain she caused others around her.

Lets just say she didnt dwell on that thought for long, not wanting to kill the happy mojo she was rolling in for the moment. "I'm glad my studies are bearing fruit," Cadeau quipped cheerfuly. When he finally gave her his name, the halfling smirked, "I was wondering when I would get a name, I gave you mine pretty early on," she mused with a humor laced tone. "Too into my plant talk, huh?"

unfortunately for ingram, his author was just as ditzy as him and had totally forgotten! he smiled sheepishly, guilty as charged -- he had been so invested in trying to remember everything that he had forgotten basic manners. his tail swayed low, but his features were good-humored in light of cadeau's gentle teasing. "i get distracted easily," ingram mentioned without any sort of shame, shrugging his shoulders rather absently. "i hit my head and since then, things seem a bit foggy."

ingram didn't expand after that: talking about his close encounter with shardik still chilled his blood. he hadn't meant to suddenly sour the mood, and realizing his folly the boy blurted: "are you from around here?"

Cadeau wouldn't hold anything against him, even if Ingram had never told her his name at all. It was his business on what he wanted to share. Cadeau made a thoughtful face at the confession, a head injury causing issues focusing. The aspiring herbalist in her wanted to ask for details but the more understanding side in her also trying to forget a past didn't press against the metaphorical door into that topic. She wouldn't want a stranger pushing for backstory she didn't really want to delve into...

Then her muzzle twisted up and ears burned in embarrassment when she remembered that's the whole reason she even met Illidan. Oof. Okay maybe scratch that statement off the record to some extent.

At Ingram's question she shook her head. "I'm a nomad," Cadeau told him, the lone wolf sitting on her haunches to get more comfortable. "I'm road tripping with a friend to meet wolf packs though," she said with a smile. "Its been a interesting journey so far, that's for sure."

ingram was relieved cadeau didn't push for more information. any time he thought of the bear, it was like flexing an old strained wound. he smiled appreciatively, noticing the brief spark of interest that had crossed cadeau's soft eyes. "some other time," he quickly interjected, glad the topic was glossed over in favor learning more about the woman herself.

she stated she was a nomad, traveling with a friend. the road was no place for a loner, and ingram found he was surprisingly relieved to hear she was not traveling alone. "ah." he replied, ruminating over this new information for a spell before he continued. "what packs? do you want directions, or something? or just trying to see what fits?"

Cadeau only politely nodded and quirked her lips when he promised she could know some other time, though it made her wonder if she would cross pathes with this wolf again, considering she and Illidan were on the move fairly often. They had a lot of ground to cover but which knew what the future brings. Cadeau sure didn't. 

"So far we met this clan called Shadewood Keep," Cadeau told Ingram, remembering her first official encounter with pack wolves that weren't her traveling partner. "I'm not sure where we are headed to next but I trust Illidan knows the way." She nodded her head with a smile. "I'm just trying to see what fits, it wasnt really my idea but..." She shrugged her shoulders in a casual fashion.

ingram knew of very few packs in the area (so shadewood meant exactly nothing to him) -- part of it was because he did not recall them, but part of it was also because he had not done much recanvassing of the area since he had found blodreina. since that moment, his wandering days had come to a grinding halt, and for good reason. he was not so foolish as to miss it. now, he had a place, he had a family, he had a home.

he nodded understandingly though -- she was young, and the road was suited for the young. if he had known that illidan was housed in the very grotto in which he had been raised (and, the son of the very wretch that had raised him those first six months), he would have marveled after how small the world seemed. glancing towards the east, ingram tried his best to recount the packs around him. "there's nauthiz vale, i'm told - not so far from here. one of our packmates is in it, and we are on friendly terms. there's also a pack way east, you'll know it by the stones -- but i don't know what it's called. not very helpful, i know.. but my pack is diaspora - i can't remember if i told you that. it's by the lake, over there." ingram pointed with a blunted claw towards the shimmering water.

Cadeau listened intently as he told her about some of the packs Ingram knew were in the general area, one called Nauthiz Vale and another with no name. She wondered if Illidan would know what the name was if she asked, he seemed wise, or at least just smarter and better at this wolf thing than Cadeau was. It was probably the latter, truly. The halfling knew she was fairly naive with quite the black and white view of the world, especially one she never even lived in until this winter.

Ingram told her about the pack he was in and it caused Cadeau to cock her head curiously. Maybe she could ask Ingram for an audience wIth his pack, though she wanted to make sure she could bring Illidan with her. 'Do you think you could... introduce me to them somehow? Illidan and me are trying to meet as many as we can," Cadeau barked with expressive eyes. "He says it's all about the advertising when trying to impress a pack," she couldn't help but look amused thinking back to it.

ingram swept an ear towards cadeau in slight surprise as she asked for an introduction; how would that go over with the sandraudiga? he seemed a man that valued his time, and he might not take kindly to someone showing up at his doorstep with no intention of joining... but.. cadeau was a female; ingram had come to the opinion diaspora's basilisk favored the fairer gender.

he offered a roll of his shoulders as if to say to hell with it. "sure, i could do that." he meant it too - even if his neck was on the line, he didn't mind given she had helped him so much already. "i should warn you that my alpha scares the piss out of me. he's very, uh... stern."

Cadeau looked pleased Ingram agreed to do this favor for her, the brown halfling understanding it was a gamble for both parties involved. She would need to tell Illidan about this when they rendezvous again later. She wondered if he would know of this Diaspora wolf pack, Cadeau book marked it in her head to ask.

"Thank you," Cadeau told him with a dip of her head, smiling. "You'll need to give me a bit of time, I gotta tell my partner about it. We agreed to go together. I'd rather not leave without him."

At the mention of his leader being a scary fellow, Cadeau couldnt help the nervous glint that fitted across her face. She knew all the packs couldn't be as friendly as Shadewood but at the same time it left her worried she may meet a pack that was everything she came to fear about what made a wolf, well, a wolf. At least according to the old wives tales back in the town she was born in, she idly eyed her large paws in disguised inner distress. She shook herself out of it and looked back at Ingram's face. "I'll... keep that in mind," she replied.

cadeau seemed nervous by ingram's bluntness. he could not say he blamed her. stigmata was an empirical man, and a terrifying one -- anyone in their right senses would at least be intimidated by the sandraudiga. that was not to say the beast was heartless; he had let blodreina and aure in when they had both been on the cusp of bearing pups -- and later, he and mahler had seen fit to let in a tired straggler: him.

he smiled reassuringly, feeling guilty for his hand in painting the basilisk in a bad light. "take your time. the more the merrier... i mean, it's not all bad - he let me in so he can't be too bad, right?" the eyjolfur winked roguishly, hoping he might assay some of the nervousness he had seen moments prior.