Wolf RPG
Moonspear so be prepared for a chance of a lifetime; be prepared for sensational news - Printable Version

+- Wolf RPG (https://wolf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: In Character: Roleplaying (https://wolf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://wolf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Moonspear so be prepared for a chance of a lifetime; be prepared for sensational news (/showthread.php?tid=34504)

so be prepared for a chance of a lifetime; be prepared for sensational news - Hydra - May 17, 2019

Hydra tracked a herd within the reaches of Moonspear diligently. They had recently entered the borders of their mountain, and as dusk came Hydra was nosing the bedding of one of the herd members. Flicking an ear, Hydra pressed onward. She thought she caught a whiff of @Revui nearby, but did not think to call him to her, here and now; if he wished to join her, he would find her—but as she traveled, she did think of him.

If things were to change, she desired to trust him. He was strong, though could be a little dense; she wanted to groom him not simply to stand alongside her, but to be her own second in command someday, and she wished their father had not given him the test that he had. Hydra was of the mind that if they left of their own volition without a word, then they ought to stay gone. It was a cruel thing their sister had done, now that she knew it had all been by choice.

RE: so be prepared for a chance of a lifetime; be prepared for sensational news - Revui (Ghost) - May 21, 2019

He had left his father with a strange feeling in his heart. A chilling sensation closer to numbness than any acute emotion. A vague sense of uncertainty or weight. Was this doubt? Was this what Yami felt as she fled the mountain? Or Korei, as she was cast aside from her blood? Revui knew very little about the world and that included his older sibling; tales of her were primarily anecdotal, used to impress certain lessons unto the children as they grew. He had always told himself to not be like her - but now, perhaps, Revui would have to add his littermate to that list, even if he had begun to empathize.

He was a conundrum of thoughts; a whirlwind contained in a mountain's corporeal body. Fighting across the terrain as he let off steam and tried not to think on such serious topics, Revui eventually came across the scent of his sister and felt the urge to seek her out. To confront her - chiefly to gloat on what their father had decided. Yet when he found her, Revui could only say one thing. 

Father used the word hysteria when he spoke of you. Are you sick? He wasn't aware of how this statment might bother her, and was busy thinking about how easily he could access the magical trees Speedy had taught him to use. Of this was an illness, perhaps willow bark could fix it?

RE: so be prepared for a chance of a lifetime; be prepared for sensational news - Hydra - May 21, 2019

Hydra turned to look at her brother, as of yet unaware of the news, when she heard his approach. She and her parents had discussed Revui's promotion the moment his goals had been set. Hydra desired to see it be so. He and Arcturus were her pride and joy, and she trusted them both—

It was a place she desired the both of them to be in. Brute force and intelligence, side-by-side. 

It was not at all difficult to sense his unease, and when he spoke Hydra knew why this was. She blinked at her brother, and shook her head. No, Revui, I am healthy. She did not think he would go so low as to speak against her again. It is an insult. He means to try and convince you that I am irrational, and not of sound mind. She was honest, and frank with him. Hydra's displeasure was evident, and she wondered if he might be sharing such thoughts with more than one brother. 

And she was insulted. 

Wondering what her brother had learned from her more tactical lessons, Hydra asked of him: why do you think he would do so?

RE: so be prepared for a chance of a lifetime; be prepared for sensational news - Revui (Ghost) - May 21, 2019

Not of sound mind? He did not like the sound of that; but she confirmed she was healthy and Revui could at least breathe easier afterwards. It disturbed him on a different level to think that their father had been slandering his daughter—and with her own confirmation of that too, that it was an insult, Revui wasn't sure how to react. He wanted to resume life as it was meant to be. Charon seated atop the mountain's throne, his children working hard to please him. What had they earned if not praise? Why would the man speak out against Hydra? The only thing that Revui could fathom after all his tutelage was something simple: such a comment was an attack, and one did not attack unless they felt they must defend themselves. Was Charon afraid?

—why do you think he would do so? Hydra queried. For once, Revui had a response prepared.

Fear. Perhaps you are growing too strong, and he is too old? To the bear of a boy Charon was indeed old; his mother was ancient by comparison, and he could not help but see himself and his littermates as children still. He did not feel so young or inexperienced at this point but when levied against his father, he felt inadequate. You are not weak, he added after a moment. He is not either. He wants the mountain to be... normal. As Revui emphasized his speech he hoped to convey that they were not his words, because it was Charon who had claimed something was amiss upon the mountain.

He spoke of change. Moonspear is strong because of us—what needs to change? It truly baffled him.

RE: so be prepared for a chance of a lifetime; be prepared for sensational news - Hydra - May 21, 2019

There was but a hint pride in her eye as her brother responded to her. 

She listened to his words, mindful of his observations. 

I do not think our father is weak, Hydra concurred. For all of my life, I have respected him. Trusted him. We have always been of one mind, our family, Hydra acknowledged, too, at length, and here she sucked in a deep breath. but he is not himself as of late. He is not sick, that we would smell on him... she shifted her gaze to the horizon: perhaps he is hiding something. 

Hydra shifted her weight, and turned to Revui. If he truly wanted this, she spoke of normalcy, I do not think he would speak so of me. And I imagine he may have shared such sentiments with your brother, in some way, she hummed. And change? Hydra rumbled. This mountain is ours, she breathed, Our brothers, our sisters. He knows that my time is coming, she breathed. What could change that? He cannot defeat time—though if he brings to our mountain new blood of anothers womb... he may seek to displace me. She would simply be the first; her gaze lingered upon Revui. It would be a matter of time before he, too, fell victim to this circumstance. I think... perhaps... he is preparing for this potential change. That he would turn you against me, maybe Arcturus, too, she feared. Dread pooled in her stomach.

Surely he would come to her, as Revui had? 

She did not seek to shake faith in their father. Not without being certain, in any case. 

None of it makes sense, brother. And I do not want to think it. The truth will come, Hydra sighed through her nose, if it is not already here. But for now, I will trust in Speedy, she determined. I will speak with father in regards to his disrespect. And I will never so much as allude to you. For the first time he did so was... well, in favor of Speedy, Hydra huffed at this reminder, finding that it rather stung, and that is what I will refer to, and only that. I will never betray you. I will always fight for you. For us.

RE: so be prepared for a chance of a lifetime; be prepared for sensational news - Revui (Ghost) - May 22, 2019

Revui was not experienced with anything that was going on within the confines of Moonspear. He was too young to understand the fluctuating nature of the adults even when it was explained to him in-depth; he did not know who to support between his father and his sister, as both played pivotal roles in his rearing and both were idolized; the only thing he knew for certain was that Moonspear was strong, and in his limited understanding that was enough. They were strong because they shared blood, shared strength, and knew without a shred of doubt that their entire world centered around this mountain. What was father doing, then, but disrupting that with his salacious talk? With his insistence that something was wrong, when no such issues reared their head upon Revui's own investigation? Perhaps he was not being thorough enough, not questioning enough—or asking the right questions; this was what made words so useless to him. They were so hard to manage. They were tricky, fickle, conspiratorial things.

He will not turn me against anyone, Revui surmised sharply, believing that he was on everyone's side and no-ones. He was here to protect the mountain home, as it was his birthright. Who was Revui really, except a soldier borne to the Ostrega army? Filled with the youthful vigor of a boy eager to please (in the limited, brutish way that he could), and nothing more?

RE: so be prepared for a chance of a lifetime; be prepared for sensational news - Hydra - May 22, 2019

Hydra was glad to hear it, truth be told. She valued her brothers equally, and though she did not expect it here and now, it was Revui who she felt she could count on most between them. It was not something she anticipated, but she withheld her true judgment toward Arcturus until she could confirm her belief was more than just that.

We have always been a family unit. This should not be occurring. He should be seeking to keep the peace, not disrupt it, she said, sighing through her nose. But I will speak with him, to try and do so. Arcturus, too. If he cannot see the error of his ways in how he has acted toward our mother and myself, what do you think should next be done? One ear cupped toward him, genuinely curious as to what he would do. She felt she could take no more of it, and was reaching the end of her rope—time would tell how much of it there was left.

RE: so be prepared for a chance of a lifetime; be prepared for sensational news - Revui (Ghost) - May 22, 2019

There was that phrase again — keeping the peace.

As a warrior Revui never been one to covet peace, he was eager to brandish his teeth, taste blood, bring enemies to heel, break bones; none of which fit-in to this new role as peacekeeper he had apparently been given. He had always harbored a deep respect for Hydra as the pack's beta; he wanted to be like her most out of the entire family, a force to be heeded, powerful, respected. To have this additional aspect to consider was difficult. It was made especially tricky considering that Charon had been the first to bring it up to him: that it was his role to keep the peace. Yet when Hydra mentions it, Revui cannot help but wonder if there is a difference between the desires of his family members. They were always a united front but what was peace to Charon? How was it different to what Hydra wished? And who could he follow?

It dawned on him that his father might've been sussing out his loyalty. That maybe he only exalted Revui as bait and now hoped to win him over further, to garner support in these moments of potential change. Hydra did not do that; she appealed to his vanity a bit with praise and boosted his ego, but she spoke in truths that made more sense to Revui. With her it felt like nothing was changing. The mountain would remain strong, the blood of Charon would remain upon it, and what dangers could such a thing pose?

It was confusing. Too much to think about for someone so accustomed to brawn rather than brains; he needed Arcturus.

—what do you think should next be done? Hydra questioned, eager enough to test him as Charon had. Revui felt as if he'd touched upon a new insight in that moment but there was no clarity, just further tumult. He had no answer that felt suitable. What can be done? He murmured with a frown. He is our father. But he speaks ill of you, and fights with mother. He would not voice the truth that brewed in his heart: that it was Charon who was the true issue, the true hysteric. Revui had no concept of what his father was thinking or feeling and likely never would reach that point of understanding.

He felt so conflicted by these conversations, and suddenly ill-equipped for his new position.

RE: so be prepared for a chance of a lifetime; be prepared for sensational news - Hydra - May 22, 2019

Hydra recalled her fathers line of thinking upon his return home. What if he spread such toxicity in thinking toward Arcturus and Revui? That heat was choice, that this was within mothers control, and so, she was to blame? Hydra's mind drifted toward the children she knew would be growing within her—what of her daughters, if there were to be any?

She would need to educate him. If he could not be educated, then her thoughts would align with her brother. Change, she intoned, direct. Though not one he would like. He must stop this spread of misinformation. And if he does not, he leaves me no choice, came her grave voice. Better he know now what may come. Better he prepare. Then, perhaps, then they could have peace. Hydra, though eloquent and intelligent, fought her best battles with her teeth. But she did not wish for it to come to that. She hoped it would not.

Although he had begun to grow suspicious of his father's plotting and nervous of the fallout, Revui was still one of Charon's loyal children. He thought that he lacked the ability to bare his teeth if such a moment came; beastly as he was, hungry as he had been in the past — what Hydra implied was something heinous which Revui did not think was right, and he was repulsed by the nuanced implication that his sister may act upon her treasonous, poisonous desire. 

He was silent from that point; his face imperious, as stoic as the mountain. The boy did not approve but could not find the adequate words to counter her own. Maybe she was right. Their father was a king, a warrior, and unlikely to accept any change lest it be governed by himself.

Her ear twitched, and she sighed as she looked upon him. She did not want or desire to think it, and the battle within her showed. Her hand was being forced. Hydra did not desire things to change. Not that way. The way her brothers face was set left plenty of room for concern. Have faith in me, Revui. I have never been unfair, and when I have been, I have acknowledged it—and this is our father. He has made a mistake in speaking of me as he had, but that is a thing that should be easily remedied, she hummed. I want to be done wtth this family feud. I want all to be well between us all again, Hydra craved it. She wanted a world with her father always in it, rearing her grandchildren alongside their mother. And what was between their mother and father she thought would be healed between them, too.

He wanted all to be well, too. 

Perhaps there was a sense of hysteria hanging like a cloud across their mountain home; it might not have been solely the heat that sparked the smoke, nor Charon's fear of being left behind by the natural entropy of the universe, or even the warring of the ice king and his shadow queen. Perhaps it was all of these things, and they were turning each Ostrega in to something other.

Maybe, Revui thought, maybe father was right.

RE: so be prepared for a chance of a lifetime; be prepared for sensational news - Hydra - June 05, 2019

Hydra did not fear for the outcome. Come what may, she would ensure it fell in the favor of her family she had fought for the minute that she could. Though things had shifted, Hydra would promptly put those things back to its proper course. This was a nuisance, but she had enough wisdom to know how to battle it—and win, too.

With a nod, she turned to do as she had said; find their brother, and then their father.