Wolf RPG
Moonspear Longstoryshort. - Printable Version

+- Wolf RPG (https://wolf-rpg.com)
+-- Forum: In Character: Roleplaying (https://wolf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Forum: Archives (https://wolf-rpg.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Moonspear Longstoryshort. (/showthread.php?tid=62275)

Longstoryshort. - Towhee - August 07, 2024

Before the Sveijarn-Cortens officially departed and Towhee needed to stay put to guard the copse, she set off on a quick diplomatic mission. She headed for Moonspear, stopping briefly at the borders of the other Moon villages to howl a message to their respective leaders (@Rodyn, @Kukutux, @Aiolos and @Vairë) and her brother (@Phox). She let them know the copse could use an able body or two if they had any to spare. For probably obvious reasons, Towhee didn’t stop to listen for answers.

She didn’t slow down properly until she found herself at the foot of the mount. Towhee took a moment to catch her breath, then called out a slightly different message: “I’m here for a quick visit!” She hoped it reached @Killdeer’s ears (or his kids’?!). But she wouldn’t mind seeing Sialuk or pretty much anyone else who wanted to come say “hi.”

RE: Longstoryshort. - Killdeer - August 08, 2024

Gramma! he took the opportunity to shout upon her call, for he knew she would not hear him, and he wanted to milk the last vestiges of his childhood for all they were worth. After all, there was nothing like a grandmother to make one feel safe and childlike again.

Once that was out, the wolf that greeted Towhee was seasoned and disciplined, the only thing giving away his true nature the infectious grin that split his muzzle. He gave her a gentle caress, a touch of noses, and pulled back with his tail wagging.

-Welcome to Moonspear,- Killdeer told her. -I'm so glad you're here.-

And then he called again for @Sialuk, because he didn't want to invite anyone—even his beloved grandmother—further into the territory without her say-so. As excited as he was to introduce her to his children, he would still follow protocol.

RE: Longstoryshort. - Towhee - August 13, 2024

Long time, no see, she joshed when her eldest grandson appeared.

There were no tykes with him, though Towhee knew it was only a matter of time before she met them. Her heart skipped in her chest as they exchanged nuzzles. She shifted her weight and stepped back as Killdeer threw back his head to call out to someone, perhaps even them?

Something about the sight prompted a shadow to pass over her face as she said suddenly, Hey, I don’t mean to cause any alarm, but has your mom come by here recently, by any chance?

RE: Longstoryshort. - Killdeer - August 14, 2024

While they waited for Sialuk to arrive, Towhee asked him a question that immediately wiped the smile off his face. He looked at her for a moment, brows knitting together slightly as he tried to think of the last time he'd seen Fennec.

-No, she hasn't,- Killdeer replied, frowning. -I'm guessing she's not been around the Copse, either? When was the last time you saw her?-

He knew his mother liked to wander and travel, but she usually let someone trusted know when she did so. The fact that neither of them seemed to know where she was or what she was doing sent little alarm bells jingling in his mind.

But she'd come back, right? She always came back.

RE: Longstoryshort. - Towhee - August 14, 2024

Killdeer’s smile vanished, much to Towhee’s regret. Maybe she ought to have waited before asking, instead of spoiling their visit so early. She sighed through her nostrils and gave herself a swift inward kick, her lips twisting.

I can’t even remember the last time I saw her, she admitted, but it was a while ago now. The last time we had any kind of meaningful conversation was… hell… more than a month ago. It was right after my Slappy the sea lion encounter. Did I tell you about that last time? Anyway…

Towhee knew she should pay a visit to the island while she was out this way, though she trusted her message had been passed to her grandsons. She refused to set foot near that place ever again. She was with Fennec and Meerkat on this one these days. The coast was best avoided.

Hopefully she turns up soon with a fun story, Towhee said, sipping in a breath, you know, for the grandkids. Speaking of them, how is everybody doing? Any chance I could maybe meet them?

RE: Longstoryshort. - Sialuk - August 20, 2024

Killdeer's call would not go unanswered, though it took some time for Sialuk to rouse herself from the ulaq. Pauk had been gone for weeks now, no sign of his dark sooty face. The Ostrega did not know why or how he had gone off, and perhaps that was the most difficult part of it all. He was so young, so small, so defenseless. At least with Maggak and Acrux, Sialuk knew they were well-equipped to live a life on their own—Pauk was still a babe.

Towhee's face was a welcome one to see, and Sialuk forced a smile onto her own face. To Killdeer, she gave a friendly nudge to his shoulder with her muzzle. Even though one of the children had gone, he had been steadfast in his commitment to be involved with the lives of the others. Not just her own children, but Moonshadow's as well. His presence—while it did not make up for Pauk's disappearance—had softened the blow.

RE: Longstoryshort. - Killdeer - August 21, 2024

-Uh, Slappy the Sea Lion?- he asked, giving her a Look that indicated "We Need To Talk About This Later, Please." -Anyway. Yeah. And that's why I—

Luckily, Sialuk emerged then, and he shot her a warm smile before speaking again.

My grandmother is here to meet her great-grandbabies, Killdeer explained. I just wanted to make sure it was okay with you that we did that, today.

He assumed it would probably be fine, but he'd learned that it was very much in your best interest not to bite the jaws that fed you. 

-I was getting to that,- he explained, giving Towhee a sidelong grin.

RE: Longstoryshort. - Treepie - August 22, 2024

At an age where most young wolves sought more independence, Treepie still preferred to stay close to Sialuk, particularly as Pauk’s absence stretched like a long shadow over the mountainside. They sensed she wanted space this morning and happily trotted off to spend time on their own pursuits, though it wasn’t long before they circled back toward the ulaq and found it empty.

Remembering that Killdeer had called for Sialuk some time ago, Treepie paused ponderously before deciding to investigate. They followed her scent down the mountain, pausing on a familiar overhang to peer down at the borderline below. Their yellow eyes flicked from their mother’s and Killdeer’s familiar profiles to the unfamiliar visitor they were facing.

Hiiiii! the little songbird called loudly. Is it okay if I come down there too? Tiuttuk shouted in the next breath, sunny gaze eagerly seeking their anaa.

RE: Longstoryshort. - Towhee - August 22, 2024

He wanted Sialuk’s permission, which Towhee understood. Fortunately, the woman in question appeared beside him, her nose pressing against Killdeer’s shoulder with a familiarity that made Towhee wonder. Sialuk didn’t speak and looked a little hangdog, though Towhee’s gaze shifted back toward Killdeer as he filled the proverbial silence.

She felt a flicker of unease, though Killdeer’s easy grin quashed some of it. Towhee looked back to Sialuk, sensing something amiss with her. But with Killer behaving like his usual self, she doubted anything seriously horrible had happened. Maybe Sialuk was just worn out from child-rearing, which was valid.

Above and behind the pair, a child’s face appeared. Towhee didn’t notice, their happy little shouts of course falling on deaf ears.

RE: Longstoryshort. - Sialuk - August 23, 2024

Of course, Sialuk replied, then remembered the few bits of ptero she had learned when Towhee had been living on the spear. -Yes, come in. Meet children,- she signed, though she was well out of practice since no other wolves without hearing had lived here in quite some time. Sialuk thought she noticed some hint of recognition from Towhee, but she could not quite place it. Besides, they were soon interrupted by the singsong voice of Tiuttuk.

Come down! Sialuk called back in the sunshine language, Killdeer's grandmother is here!

While they waited for Pie to make the (short) journey to greet them, Sialuk broke the news, making sure to face Towhee so she had a good view. Pauk, one of the children, went missing some time ago, she said, the weight of the words heavy in the air. She still did not know how he could have gone missing, having to assume that something—or somebody—had taken him. He would not have gone on his own, she did not think.

RE: Longstoryshort. - Killdeer - August 25, 2024

At Sialuk's summons, Kaujimaq came as well, and he also howled for @Tikaani, Nayati and Nicte, for good measure. He gave Treepie a grin as she came down to meet them, and Sialuk a grateful look—tinged with sorrow at the news he already knew, but still hurt to hear.

And before all could assemble, he quickly remarked - wordlessly, but in ptero, that -"they might not be all mine by blood"- to Towhee. 

Not that it mattered. Their fathers were gone. He was here.

-"But they are by heart,"- he added, fervently, and then moved to gather the lot of them together. Here's your great-grandmother, Towhee, he announced, making sure to enunciate clear enough that Towhee could read his lips. Say hello!

In the wake of wriggling bodies and delighted yips, Killdeer stood tall, overwhelmed by the love that surged through his veins and seized his soul.

RE: Longstoryshort. - Treepie - August 26, 2024

Sialuk summoned them nearer, mentioning that their visitor was in fact Towhee, Killdeer’s grandmother. Needless to say, Treepie stumbled as they hastened down the mountainside, their yellow eyes fixed on the mythical figure.

-“Hello! It’s nice to meet you!”- the child signed eagerly, deftly mimicking the words they’d practiced many times in preparation for this very situation. -“My name is P-I-E!”-

Only belatedly did Treepie really register what Killdeer had said. Their head whipped toward him now, eyes flown wide as they processed his words. Towhee was their great grandmother? They looked back at her, marveling… and mind-melding a bit, apparently, because the instant Pie felt an overwhelming urge to hug her, Towhee’s arms flung open.

RE: Longstoryshort. - Towhee - August 26, 2024

Towhee could only smile softly at Killdeer’s words. She knew just what he meant, of course. Technically, he and his mother weren’t her blood, they were Phox’s. But that hadn’t ever stopped her from loving them exactly as much as she loved her direct descendants.

When one of the children—who couldn’t be anything but Killdeer’s, based on their patterning—greeted her in Ptero, it delighted a happy laugh out of Towhee. She saw the look on little Pie’s face and opened her arms, gathering them into a fierce and grandmotherly bear hug.

She loosened her arms after a moment, though one stayed slung over the youngster’s shoulder as they pressed to her side. Towhee looked at the top of their head, then raised her eyes to meet Sialuk’s. Even in this joyous moment, she hadn’t forgotten the woman’s words.

I’m so sorry about Pauk, she said, wishing she could offer more than condolences and empathy.

RE: Longstoryshort. - Tikaani - August 27, 2024

Tiki was never far and she came barreling down the hill. Rolled ass over end and landed with a loud wuff on her belly tail in her face. She laughed and peered up from beneath her tail making the sign for hi in ptero. And then took a minute to catch her breath.

RE: Longstoryshort. - Sialuk - August 27, 2024

Children came barreling down the mountain in rapid succession, and although at least one took a tumble on the way down, Sialuk knew their mountain legs would set them right again. Pie, ever the extrovert, was quick to greet their great-grandmother with ptero that was clearly more practiced than Sialuk's own. Tikaani made her little gestures as well, and Sialuk smiled gently at Towhee's kind words. Kaujimaq was more shy than the others, though Sialuk saw her make a tiny wave with a single paw.

This one is Tikaani, one of Moonshadow's by blood, Sialuk explained. And this is another one of mine, Kaujimaq.

RE: Longstoryshort. - Killdeer - August 27, 2024

To see Pie's ptero and the subsequent embrace between her and Towhee made him happier than he ever thought possible. He watched them, beaming, and even more still when Tikaani appeared. They were surrounded by children, soon enough—

But Towhee's words reminded him of the loss Sialuk was feeling now, and how it could be compounded by this overwhelming scene.

Killdeer moved to stand beside Sialuk, pressing a shoulder against hers, if she'd allow. A show of silent support.

-Don't be a stranger,- he told Towhee, still smiling, but his voice serious. -We need your wisdom around—at least every once in a while.-

RE: Longstoryshort. - Treepie - August 28, 2024

You give good hugs! Treepie exclaimed as they and Towhee slipped apart.

They settled in beside her, grinning at the weight of their great grandmother’s foreleg draped over their shoulders. Pie stayed put and giggled when Tikaani came tumbling down the mountainside, motioning her over with an empathetic look in their eyes.

Remembering to sign this time, Pie said, -“She’s our great grandma!”-

Because Tiki was not only their best friend but also a sister, in spirit as well as blood. And speaking of sisters, Pie made sure to shoot the shy Kaujimaq a warm smile and an invitational jerk of their paw too. But she remained slightly withdrawn, observing quietly as was her way.

-“Can we show Great Grandma Towhee around the mountain?”- Pie asked the group, of course unaware that she’d lived here once upon a time.

RE: Longstoryshort. - Towhee - August 28, 2024

Y’all wanna fade this one? :)

Towhee wished she could stay here with her great grandchildren forever. If the situation at Sun Mote Copse wasn’t so dire, she may have done just that: come parked on Moonspear a little while. But this was a crucial time for the hinterlands pack and Towhee had promised she would look after it. Which reminded her…

Actually, kiddo, I’ve got to run, Towhee said with true regrets. Looking up at Killdeer and Sialuk, she explained, Meerkat and Njord are preparing to take Skipjack on a trip for a little while. I’ve promised to help Jr and Seal hold down the fort in their stead. I won’t be able to come by as often while they’re away, though you guys are always welcome to stop by. Hear that, Pie et al? You can come see me anytime—with parental permission and supervision, of course!

RE: Longstoryshort. - Tikaani - August 29, 2024

Tiki finally pulled herself to her feet.  Brushed paws over each other and moved her tail out of her face. She listened and looked at the grown ups as they talked. Though she stuck close to Pie, and waved sweetly at Kaujimaq.

A small lingering feeling of disappointment. Too bad she couldn't show this one around. Their great grandma. Slowly what had gone over Tiki's head clicked and she stared hard at Killdeer for a moment and then Sialuk and thought of her own mother and she felt a small purse in her lips. She didn't understand the logistics, but.

RE: Longstoryshort. - Sialuk - August 29, 2024

i'm cool w/this being my last one. :)

Killdeer's support was noticed and appreciated. Sialuk leaned into him ever-so-slightly. The children around them lightened the mood considerably, and the Ostrega allowed herself to shelve her sorrow for now. Pie was quick to ask about showing Towhee around the mountain, though the Redhawk woman explained she was in a hurry to move on. Meerkat and Njord's names brought a genuine smile to Sialuk's face. She had missed the both of them since they had made a new village for themself, though she was happy to hear they had found their own way in the world.

We will make a trip soon, she promised, looking first to Pie, then Towhee.

RE: Longstoryshort. - Killdeer - August 29, 2024

-We'll give her the tour next time,- Killdeer promised Pie and the other youngsters, smiling. It was too bad she wasn't staying, but he understood. With Njord and Meerkat gone, Towhee was holding down the fort in the Copse.

He was pleased, though, with Sialuk's intention to visit in the opposite direction.

-Say 'goodbye' to Towhee, kids!- he instructed, making sure to form and then repeat the ptero for farewell slowly and carefully so they could copy him.  -Goodbye for now, anyway,- he added, with a soft glance toward his grandmother.

Thus, the Moonspear welcoming committee sent her off, and even if others left, he waited until she'd disappeared over the horizon before he himself dispersed.